What "GOOD" or "BENEFIT" Come From Religious Belief?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Dear posters, non-believer or believers:

I've posted this topic to discuss 'religious beliefs' and the basis for which you formed your belief.

I'm studying, through your comments, your methodology/thinking, which you form your belief.

I'm looking for a "GOOD" or "BENEFIT" aspect that appears to have missed my grasp. And, I don't need someone to tell me re-read the bible. I have read a catholic bible(3x). I was baptised 'catholic' because of my mother, who gave birth to me. I've made my communion and confirmation. On top of that- I've studied 'religion', the topic, for a great many years.

I started my study of 'religion' when I was 22 years old and I finished my study in 2005. I am now 41 years of age.

My attempt here is bring "GOD" into reality, so it can be shared throughout or dismiss it all together. How ever, I am also attempting to understand your system of belief, like how you form your belief- what specifically makes you believe something and what if anything that you've come to understand about 'religion'

Now- Since "GOD" was perceived by man, centuries ago. That would mean that "GOD" has been around, as long as man or possibly before mankind ever existed. Man perceived "GOD" in some manner.

The questions that needs to be answered is HOW did man come to perceive "GOD" and Where was Mankind on the Evolutionary scale when he first perceived "GOD's WILL"?

Now- if you plan to use the 'bible' or any scriptures, as part of the discussion- it isn't allowed.

The bible is man made, based on what man perceived to be truth. That perception is in question? and can not be answered by any religious text or scripture. That would defeat the purpose of figuring out whether or not, the text is truthful and can be brought into existence as truth.

Right now- the bible and all religious texts, of all formats, are seen as UNTRUE. Just because YOU say it's fact, doesn't make it fact.

Science and Philosophy, and History, and Reality says "GOD" does not exist.

Let's try to keep the name-calling, insults and bantering to a minimum. It would be nice to hold a conversation on topic for once.

Let the discussion begin-

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like you said man has perceived god since ages and not only since Jesus came on this planet.
      Sahamanism which is considered to be roughly 40,000 bc was the art of ecstasy , we as man are looking for bliss and ecstasy in our lives.
      They found this bliss when they dissolved their egos and merged wit the cosmos or god. Enlightenment or revelation is a reality.

Science and Philosophy, and History, and Reality says "GOD" does not exist.T

The oldest spiritual text the Holy Vedas talks about god and Vedas means science and is poetry , the most condensed and highest form of  philosophy. smile Whose reality?

Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, first off- let's get something straight. When mankind, was growing and evolving, somewhere along the line he perceived of a different realm, which was interpreted, as a sign of a higher power.

This I will agree on the fact- this fact only- that man touched a different realm. How ever, the interpretation of it being a higher power is not entirely accurate, by science and philosophy, through it's exploration of reality.

Reality is defined- Reality exists. Reality exists free of independent thoughts, desires, will, or wishes. Reality is ALL knowable.

With this understanding- "GOD" doesn't exist.

With my study, I have found material research that proves- at the time of Christ, civilization was growing too fast and complex, for the undeveloped minds of the humans who lived during that time. The complexity forced the mind to evolve to consciousness, so one could be more focused and stable.

This evolution from nature to independent thought is the 'different realm' mankind leaped, when they achieved consciousness.

Instead of being lead by the right-side of their brain(nature's automatic guidance, unknowing they themselves exists)- they would now have consciousness(awareness of their own existence), where the left-side became more active and created independent conscious thought, which is logical and honest.

1. Paraglider profile image88
          Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think most would agree that consciousness, as normally understood, was around long before the time of Christ?

But, consciousness wasn't as wide spread as many are lead to believe. The research of the mind, how people thought and wrote, and lived, all has been examined.

Consciousness in some..yes. Agreed. But, those who did have consciousness- most were shoveling 'religion' for deceitful purposes. History has recorded.

most were shoveling 'religion' for deceitful purposes. History has recorded.
              That makes the individual human a crook and not the religion or prophet.

Only those who actively perpetuated 'religion' for their own deceitful purposes.

Religion is the tool, a conscious person used to obtain power, wealth, notoriarity and enslaved people to do their work, so they could 'freeload' on the backs others. Then, today it's even worse.

No way , religions are teachings of masters aimed at liberating ones souls and not trapping someone.

You're right it is about liberating ones consciousness and not trapping one, as per se, masters of religious beliefs.

The real destination for any all religion or occult disciplines always comes out to consciousness.

Self-guidance.

Therefore religion really has no place in society and all who perpetuate the hoax, as just established is no better than those in power who perpetuate altruistic ideals to control those who don't know any better.

Hmm...Is that the truth I see- CONSCIOUSNESS the ultimate goal of life- open your eyes, be re-born and welcome to your new life.

lol

2. cheaptrick profile image75
                    cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

God=Zero.Any other Physics nerds out there?Sure would be nice to meet someone who can apply logic to Metaphysics(religion)'

2. mohitmisra profile image59

Okay, first off- let's get something straight. When mankind, was growing and evolving, somewhere along the line he perceived of a different realm, which was interpreted, as a sign of a higher power.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/perceived
          per·ceived, per·ceiv·ing, per·ceives
          1. To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.
          2. To achieve understanding of; apprehend. See Synonyms at see1.

He perceived meaning he experienced or rather became this higher power or god or the Light, enlightenment,revelation, samadhi or satori.

This I will agree on the fact- this fact only- that man touched a different realm. How ever, the interpretation of it being a higher power is not entirely accurate, by science and philosophy, through it's exploration of reality.

Why is it not accurate?
          Philosophers have been talking about this void or god or the essence since ages.I am talking about it.
          Science is building huge particle accelerators in order to find the god particle.

You reality may not be mine , so reality is relative.
          The Buddha when asked for proof of his enlightenment said "nature is my witness."

Man has witnessed himself or his inner self, the god self much earlier than the start of Christianity. smile

Oh, by the way, I didn't need a definition of what perceived meant. It's open to interpretation and not definitive. That's what my point.

Oh on another note- the Buddha when asked for proof of his enlightenment said "nature is my witness". Tells me he wasn't actually enlightened. Because, he himself was not conscious.

lol

2. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

It's about my bed time but I will just say this.
       I was about 5 or 6 dying on my back looking up at the stars; and OH MAN there were stars many many stars like I have never seen. I just felt him; though I had never heard of him. I knew better but I couldn't help but to feel that all of those stars were shinning just for me.
       I could write a book about the times that an unseen force has protected me. To wake up in the middle of the night get up and turn on the light for no reason to see a copperhead climbing up on the bed (age 10), to being lost out in the woods at night in the snow following a strange dim light over the hills and through the alleys to a vacant cabin with provisions. Driving like a crazy man on a curvy mountain road, having a hallucination of a man walking out in front of me and just standing there; slamming on the brakes and stopping, and around the next curve a car stalled in the middle of the road that I otherwise could not have avoided.
      I could go on all night. I do not care what you call it,
    It is my best friend and protector.
       You asked for a non combative reason to be a believer,
    I have just shared maybe one percent of the reasons that I have to believe. I've been believing for 60 years and my believing keeps getting stronger as I get weaker.
      Have a good night;   I'm going to bed

It is my best friend and protector.

"I am thy shield and thy exceedingly great reward" Holy Bible

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Those are all beautiful experiences and we can all probably name dozens ourselves, but how can one person conclude that proves the existence of god and another just enjoy it for what it is?  Everything we can't explain doesn't automatically default to proof there is a god.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

People have often asked me (over the years) what benefit I find from my spiritual beliefs.  There are many, but one of the strongest is that I'm much more able to comprehend WHY I'm in a particular set of circumstances and conditions at any given moment.  I'm not big on "blind faith" but have seen divine guidance in my life on a more or less constant basis for quite a few decades now.  That guidance has certainly not prevented me from making ANY mistakes, but it has definitely reduced the NUMBER and SEVERITY of mistakes that could have easily cost me my life...or more tragically, the lives of others.

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

As far as what benefit or good can come from religion....

I think there are many who are better people because of their religion and faith, but as in most things, there are those who are extremists and begin their own agendas in the name of religion and tend to make the others look bad.

I have no place for religion.  I'm not someone who needs religion.  I think some people feel they do.  And for those people, I'm glad they have that to lean on.  It's just not for me.

I changed drastically after god came into my life.One point,I was into shooting and killed many birds when I was young, today I cannot kill as I see god in the birds and everything as well.

1. profile image49
        gorgathionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was your choice to change not a side effect of religion.It just gave you guidelines.You are just following the rules.

5. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Religion is an attempt by humankind to figure out why the world is the way it is.

Why do good things happen to bad people?  Judeo-Christians have an entire book devoted to that answer.  Why do people die?  Again every belief system has an answer to that question. 

Religion also gives us a framework from which to help us make the correct decisions.  Much of our religious mythology was passed down orally, at least in the beginning.  These stories united groups of tribes into peoples.  These peoples then had a better chance to survive.  The Hebrew people are a good example of this, but certainly they are not the only ones.  If fact, you can logically divide people into groups based on their belief in gods, God or some other form of supernatural belief.  Shinto and the Japanese being anther example.

A better question might be this:  Why do people search first for supernatural agencies, then later search for rational explanations.  Followed by a second question:  Can rational explanations tell us more about why Creation unfolded they way it has?

Why do people search first for supernatural agencies, then later search for rational explanations?

First off, the unexplainable is what drives knowledge. Because, every time you explain something that can't be explained, then it becomes part of our reality.

The spiritual path isn't a path to understand "GOD" - the real path for mankind, even as individuals, is the exploration of reality.

Science, philosophy and reality as we know it, doesn't accept GOD as real. Therefore, it is presumed to not exist.

Can rational explanations tell us more about why Creation unfolded they way it has?

To understand- why creation unfolded the way it has is to understand all of nature, all of science, all of philosophy and limit your thoughts to only logical and honest facts.

I know what you have ahead for you. It took me years.

Enjoy.

2. mohitmisra profile image59

Correct religions are base on teachings of great masters who have fused with god.They have left their knowledge behind to help humanity and not to harm humanity.No prophet teaches bad things.

A better question might be this:  Why do people search first for supernatural agencies, then later search for rational explanations.  Followed by a second question:  Can rational explanations tell us more about why Creation unfolded they way it has?

Rational explanations in an irrational world?

"Day to dawn makes no sense,
      What does, we call non sense. "

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Those are all beautiful experiences and we can all probably name dozens ourselves, but how can one person conclude that proves the existence of god and another just enjoy it for what it is?  Everything we can't explain doesn't automatically default to proof there is a god.
    Posted 6 minutes agoquote/replyreportpermalink

Brushed my teeth, looked on here, gotta say after this I really gotta go to bed.  After more than a few of these occurrences and too many years ya might try talking to "IT" and then ya might start hearing his voice; not upon command like making a phone call but randomly a still quiet voice. And a few times when ya least expect on a fogy night ya might just find yourself having a conversation with yourself but it isn't your thoughts. You are hearing about things that you didn't even have any interest in knowing and a few things ya didn't WANT to know.  Call it a hallucination if ya want to , I liked it.
       And when I pray to the God of Abraham I think that he likes it. And no I aint claiming to be a saint or anyone special, Now I just listen for him. Don't hear him very often. But I think that he guides me in my dreams. If I'm crazy I want to be more crazy.  I really am going to bed now  Good night all

7. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Goodnight Jerami

8. Evolution Guy profile image58
    Evolution Guyposted 14 years ago

So - Not seeing any "GOOD" or "BENEFITS" here. As usual - all I see is a bunch of religionists justifying their irrational belief with personal anecdotes or claiming some sort of prophet-hood that is hidden from the normal man's view.

Sadly - every single prophet we have ever had has come across as an arrogant slime ball and whose so-called "teachings" have produced nothing but wars - including the buddha.

But I would be interested to know where you found this information.

9. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

the benefit of religion is it creates meek and humble people=)

10. Allan Bogle profile image68
    Allan Bogleposted 14 years ago

This post by Cagsil has way to many contradictions to warrant a response I'm afraid.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)