Does prayer work?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 96 discussions (188 posts)
  1. Rudra profile image68
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

Have you had a sick relative or a loved one on the verge of leaving for good and you prayed for them, and it got answered?

A scientist took 2 cultures of bacteria and prayed for one of them. To his surprise the scientist realised that the bacteria had multiplied several fold more than the one that was NOT prayed for. How do you explain this? 

Secondly, some critically ill patients admitted in hospitals were prayed for by unknown people across the world of various faiths. Some of the ones that were prayed for DIED comparable to the ones that were not prayed for and survived.

Therefore 2 conflicting observations here. These are based on actual observations and ongoing research on whether prayer works or not.

Any thoughts or experiences on these.

1. robie2 profile image78
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

There is an interesting web-based experiment going on about this. You can participate if you want to....here's the link:  http://www.theintentionexperiment.com/

2. profile image50
      renju mathewposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hai,
      this is a wonderful question or an opinion.
      I myself has an experience about the power of prayer.My family has experience.But I don't know wheather you  will get reply by simply praying to the ancestors.I prayed to the  Lord the God.
      I even haven't heard about any one who got any miracles or cure by praying to ancestors

3. profile image50
      renju mathewposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hai,
      this is a wonderful question or an opinion.
      I myself has an experience about the power of prayer.My family has experience.But I don't know wheather you  will get reply by simply praying to the ancestors.I prayed to the  Lord the God.
      I even haven't heard about any one who got any miracles or cure by praying to ancestors

4. profile image57
      Tibbyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I've prayed for people and they are all still alive (mostly), so from where I sit, I'd say it works.

2. bloggerdollar profile image74
    bloggerdollarposted 16 years ago

I believe in positive science so praying doesn't have any effect on life I guess. Even if there were a god and who decided that someone should be sick or dead why would he change his/her idea.

Besides that regarding your questionsI believe that positive attitude and will to live has effect on body so a believer who strongly believes in God and he would respond his prayers can actually turn out better because he is believing that he will get better.

1. profile image49
      juliusgatinaoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hey, what do you know? I'm a chosen one.

Obviously I firm belief in a specific deity is not a prerequisite for being chosen ...

Jenny

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
          SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I believe we choose to be chosen !? I know what I mean by that smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

If prayer worked, there would be no dead people and we'd all be rich. smile

Oh Mark, not knowing you well, it sounds like you are a pessimist or maybe just a cynic?...which I believe are cover-ups for not knowing what to believe!!??(smiley faces here!)My answer to those attitudes has been to believe what I believe right now, staying open, until I get more information to believe something new! (smiley face here!)

There is so much that goes on at the subconscious and unconscious levels of our existence, let alone the spiritual levels, the power of prayer is a mixed bag at best.There is anger and hatred, etc... at the sub/un conscious levels of human mind and soul that can deter the prayer from creating the desired result...that have to be cleared first to get the full potential of prayer.

In my experience, there is tremendous power of prayer and in various forms of prayer, but it is finding that "being centered", "heart focused", "finding my attunement with the powers of the Universe/God", "that certain space of consciousness of 'love' " place that creates the correct power of prayer. Sorry I have such a small vocabulary of expression!
      Oh there is great power in prayer forms, it's like setting an energetic matrix of vision to create first in the mind and emotion, then leaving it up to God/the Universe and it's natural order to determine whether the words/desires of the prayer are according to the Big Plan (Divine Order, and all in that Plan's time and space, it may happen now, or not).

2. vreccc profile image60
      vrecccposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think this sums it up nicely. I believe in prayer and I do pray. However, we have to be careful not to choose a standard by which we measure prayer's effectiveness. After all, who ever said that the purpose of prayer is stay alive or get rich? It could just be communication with God, period.

Something else that is interesting is that we often think of prayer as petitioning God for something. So, when what we want doesn't come, we come to the conclusion that the prayer 'didn't work'. Who ever said that prayer is supposed to sharing our wish list with God.

Interesting questions.

Jonathan

4. rmr profile image69
    rmrposted 16 years ago

It has worked for me so far. I've been close to death more than once, and prayer (among other things) has pulled me through to fight another day.  You may call it answered prayers, good luck, or Karma, but I continue to pray. Seems to me that if it hasn't helped, it certainly hasn't hurt.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58

big_smile

Well - my answer was part joke part serious and of course, the standard answer to whether or not prayer works - which your comment basically said - is Yes, if it's all part of the grand scheme  and it's God's will or fate or whatever.  Which, if you think about it is a complete cop-out.

I have a very strong belief system that does not include a belief in a higher power or prayers being answered.

I do believe that we are all connected and together form a complex organism (if that's the right word) that includes everything in the Universe. I also believe that many people have allowed themselves to become emotionally disconnected from the organism and that "praying" - for want of a better word can allow them to re-connect to that organism - briefly. And I include all forms of prayer in that - mantras, kneeling down in church and asking the lord god, Yoga, sitting in a sweat lodge - whichever way your particular belief system teaches you is THE way to re-connect.

But - I am not nearly arrogant enough to think that what I need or desire or want is in any way important to the organism/God/the universe. And fail to see why people think they are.

Yes, we are all part of it, but once you realize your part in the grand scheme, you are forced to let go and accept that you are insignificant and your ego/wants/needs/desires are completely irrelevant - and it doesn't matter so much any more. And so you feel better/more relaxed/as though your prayers have been answered.

If prayer works, that is what it allows you to do. smile

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Mark.

But why is it arrogant to believe that humans are meant to be co-creators with the Ultimate Source? If life is about as some say "God experiencing its Self" are we not potential creators in the making? We are but a drop in the Sea that is Source, full of the same energies just in smaller portions...until we believe that we are a larger portion of the Source and finally One as/with the Source. Just imagine what a planet full of souls that believe that could do if they focused those energies on love, beauty, caring, compassion, sharing and being of service to humanity. Having gradually "risen" out of the human ego realms of being a worthless sinner and the degradations of war and its consequences...just think of what could be accomplished.

I do believe in a potential Golden Age...a Utopia where all souls live from their highest level of  consciousness in love with the rest of Life in the Universe, and that is before each soul will "ascend" back into the Total Oneness !

I have big visions for the future...makes me feel warm and fuzzy !...and determined to define love at all costs.

So much for a little morning discussion...has filled me for the day !

Have a good one,

SparklingJewel

2. profile image0
      RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Wow Mark....that sounds a lot like Buddhist thinking there....be careful you might be religious after all! Lol.

Buddhists meditate and do mantras (prayers) to change the way their own mind works. If you change your personal view of the universe then you see things in a more positive light. Seeing things in a more positive light allows you to become a more positive force in the world. Becoming a more positive force in the world brings more positive things back to your own personal existence. Hence it would appear that your 'prayers' have been answered.

However to clarify, Buddhists don't 'pray' FOR things. We recite what they call 'the universal prayer' mantra simply to cultivate positive energy and thinking.

Even psychologists will tell you that reciting a phrase everyday will profoundly effect your psyche and how you relate to others. That is why it is important to stop negative 'loops' in your head and promote 'positive' ones.smile

And I agree with Misha. Death plays an important role in life. As much as death saddens people, it also creates empathy and compassion. Knowing life is short changes how we relate to each other. A world without death would be a scary place indeed. Think about it.
      big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oddly enough, many religions including Christianity do similar mantra type prayers smile - there is a good reason why this enables us to change our awareness and it is a physical one, not spiritual - Just try sitting on a noisy train rocking from side to side for 3 hours after not eating for 2 days, and you will experience a sensation and awareness not dissimilar to chanting for several hours.

This is not the same as having your prayers answered. And I think many religions have lost in the mists of time the reason for these repetitive "mantras" and mixed them up with something completely different - we have lost touch with who we are and doing these sort of exersises  puts us in a different frame of mind that allows us to disconnect from all the distractions around us - advertising, buying a new phone, wondering if your boyfriend likes your new hair color etc.

As for death - we have no choice in the matter, despite what the pharmaceutical companies mat sell you LOL But if prayer worked, there would be no dead people - just look at how many people claim or hope that prayer saved their lives.

I don't recall who said this and I am paraphrasing - but if it never got dark, how would you know when it was light. smile

1. profile image0

Totally agree. big_smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

No one does smile this is an earlier post of mine smile

6. hubwriter profile image70
    hubwriterposted 16 years ago

The majority of people who pray, whether they are devout practitioners of their religion or not, do pray an arrogant prayer. Seldom do you hear people praying for understanding as opposed to praying for their wishes.

It's seems still controversial to believe if a God (any God) still performs miracles on earth. In other words for the example of an individual with medical problems, does God change or alter any "natural" course that's being ran. Within any organized religion you will get varied answers if you ask that question.

As for the scientist praying for bacteria.......religion isn't a magic show, sorry. I prayed I would get paid this week, and I did.....hmmmm divine intervention?

Trying to use science to explore religion will never serve a purpose. Telescopes, nano-technology, etc. are not going to find, prove, disprove or explain the existence of a God.

Refer to the epiphany that physicist Stephen Hawkins had. He used an inverse mathematical model to study the universe. The model was inverted to study the universe as contracting rather than expanding, a clever concept. Clever in the reasoning that this enabled mathematics to use an increasing time frame to study the history of the universe with the goal of learning more about the "Big Bang".

The problem... math was a tool developed by humans to explain events in nature. The epiphany... at the moment of creation, nature didn't exist; therefore, math had no relevance to the events taking place. Well, when a scientist can't use math as a tool, the task of understanding creates quite a crisis in the scientific community.

However, whether or not prayer works, I dare not be so arrogant to answer. I don't think that's a question for a person who is a believer. Religion is based on prayer and faith, therefore, a religious person must believe that prayer works. Not working in the same fashion as a Christmas list though.

I think I would ask myself what the purpose of the question is? For a religious person, absolutely prayer works. For the non-religious person, are you looking for confirmation before you confess faith? Ironic, as confirmation and faith are a oxymoron.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Wow - we got Mark finally disclosing his believes - and surprisingly they are not that atheistic as he wanted us to believe big_smile It's amazing to see how people who dare to think about how our Universe works come to pretty similar conclusions!

8. hubwriter profile image70
    hubwriterposted 16 years ago

oh my...Typo...Stephen Hawking, no Hawkins....Sorry Stevie!!!

9. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL- Well, I DO NOT believe there is a god - I DO NOT believe there is a plan, smile

But I do believe we are all connected - this is largely a product of the fact that it is not possible to destroy anything - therefore we are all made of what became before and will be part of what comes next.

And I like to think of myself as a zen-atheist smile

I do not see the need to analyze all this, or pray, or feel the need to think that there is an almighty being who cares for us in any way.

And, yes, I think it is arrogant to think that I make any difference or that a "God" would listen to my prayers.

I also think it is arrogant of anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs to inflict them on some one else.  And I take great exception to people who try to so that. I have complete and utter disdain for anyone who says they have the answer. And I have nothing but contempt for the religious hypocrites who preach one thing and do not follow their teachings.

As to the original question does prayer work ? I leave my first answer - If prayer worked, there would be no dead people and we'd all be rich. smile

That depends whether you consider reciting the shopping list of improvements one's ego would like to see made in the Universe to be "prayer" or not.

Attempting to manipulate the Universe isn't prayer in my book, even if the person doing it is on their knees in a house of worship at the time.

Jenny

1. vreccc profile image60
        vrecccposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I like how this is said. We assume that prayer is to manipulate some outcome in our lives. I just don't see it this way. My religious background states that the highest form of prayer is praise, and preferably praise of God. This also is in line with current self help philosophies that suggest keeping gratitude journals to manage depression and so on.

1. profile image55
          (Q)posted 16 years agoin reply to this

The definition of 'prayer' is about communicating to a deity, in adoration, contrition, petition or giving thanks.

I would agree with how you see it in that prayer should not have expectations, nor should people claim the results from a prayer are due to divine intervention, one way or another.

1. profile image0

Glad you chose to join us (Q). I am looking forward to reading your hubs.

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/yelclap.gif

1. profile image55

Thanks. I'm still trying to get my head around what HubPages is all about. Very interesting stuff. Lots to digest.

2. tinyteddy profile image59
      tinyteddyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

what  do you  mean  by  zen atheist mark

Hard to explain - like all spiritual beliefs, they are better understood by the person who believes them (me) than trying to explain them or persuade someone else of their truths.

Atheist because I do not believe there is a higher power with any sort of plan and Zen because I have spent a great deal of time practicing martial arts and have realized that much of what we think we have learned was already known and if we could just get "ourselves" out of the way, we would have seen it. Also, I try to be aware of those around me and the things that go on around me. See? Hard to explain. smile

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL Mark, I never said God has two arms, two legs, body and head - did I? Call it "complex organism", call it "universe", whatever - I don't see much difference, really...

I dreamed about ray charles last night
    He took me flying in the air
    Showed my own spider webs
    Said, ’honey, you had best take care.
    The world is made of spider webs
    The threads are stuck to me and you
    Be careful what you’re wishing for
    ’cause when you gain you just might lose’
    You just might lose...

(c) not me of course

That's where our thoughts diverge.

I see a huge difference between accepting the fact that we are all part of a larger organism (much like a skin cell is a part of the organism that we are as individuals) and there being an almighty God that is directing the whole affair.

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

joan osborne, nice choice Misha - great song.

I get miracles all the time, even when I don't pray for them.  but that's just me and I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything and I don't care who believes that I do.  I know it and it's enough. smile

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Yep. I just love her. I have all what she cared to release smile

13. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

me too - yay, another thing in common.  smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

And I'm seriously happy we found this out big_smile

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Aren't your organism control your skin cells, Mark? And is almighty in relation to them?

No - they do their own thing. Me the God Almighty of skin cells is not interested in an individual skin cell.

Quite apart from that, I have no conscious control over them.

As part of the whole, they are individually unimportant.

1. Misha profile image63

Yes and no. In a sense they are doing their own stuff, but 1) they can only do what they were designed for; 2) they are ordered by organism when to do what.

And I never said God interacts with us on its conscious level big_smile

As well as you I don't have the answers, I'm just speculating smile

That's true - you didn't, but most religions are based on the fact that there is some supreme being with a plan and the whole idea of "praying" implies that there is someone to answer those prayers.?

1. Misha profile image63

Well, "plan" is most probably just lost in translation - see Plato's cave, and "answer" may be in a same way as your organism unconsciously removes a hand from fire when feels the pain - "prayer" wink

LOL - Nice try.

Although, to use your analogy - None of the skin cells have away of making that "prayer," - That's the job of the nociceptors - a completely different group of cells and part of the peripheral nervous system. smile

15. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I think people make the mistake of thinking it's about asking for something for yourself or for an easy life.

I don't think that is what you can get, so I don't think that is what you should ask for.  :p  No prosperity gospel here.  It's pretty easy to see what God thinks is worthy by just reading the 'red words'.

Let's say you believe that Jesus' teachings have value whether you think he is God or no.  Let's say what you pray for is the opportunity to NOT focus on self and to be able to help (or at least not damage) others and then you try to act on it.  See if you get that. smile 

let's say life is about liking yourself and being happier in general and about being as decent a person as you can as you move through the world.

then, moreso, see if that makes you a happier person, because good psychology and most philosophy will tell you that it does, too. big_smile

1. robie2 profile image78
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Amen-- I concur: Besides, there are no aethists in foxholes, and life is one big foxhole smile

1. profile image0
        Iðunnposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I offer you the idunnian political general phrase - tend to agree. smile  ah, could you be any more likeable?

2. Misha profile image63

Surprisingly I'm pretty much with you on this, too big_smile Could it be because of Joan? IDK smile

If one manages to find the right thing - meaning the one he/she *really* wants - and I don't mean cars and houses here - and asks for that in any way he/she is aware of - I'm positive he/she gets granted a favorable reply...

1. profile image0

universal truths is probably why.  I followed universal truths from all kinds of sources until I found God, kind of accidently.

I think the problem arises when people misdefine 'happiness'. wink  remember that link to the happiness survey from the other thread?  people are tending to self-report as happier in third world nations.  this would explain that. :p

16. profile image55
    (Q)posted 16 years ago

I suspect that if one were to accept the notion that prayer did in fact work would also have to accept the conclusion that not a single person has or ever will pray for the tens of thousands of children who will die each day from starvation, to receive food.

17. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

God is not responsible for evil choices made by others.  We are given free will.  There is plenty of food on this earth to feed everyone.  Just because we as a people choose not to do that doesn't make it God's fault.

1. profile image55

Hi, which god do you refer?

I don't think I blamed any gods. Could you please show me where I did that? Thanks.

1. profile image0

the idea of prayer assumes you are praying to something.  pick the God of your choice.  it's not impossible they are all the same one in diferent faces.

1. profile image55

Can I choose Zeus?

If all the gods were simply different faces of the same god, why are the messages they deliver different from one religion to the next, in many cases, contradictory to each other?

For example, the god of Abraham is worshiped by Jews, Christians and Muslims, yet they all have varying beliefs.

Why is that?

1. profile image0

I must say I don't understand why prayer=God. There are many religions who use prayer who do not have a God as a figurehead. Prayer does not have to be TO something.

Just my humble opinion. smile

1. profile image0

point taken.  I did make an assumption there.

2. profile image55

Good point, I can't recall any religions that don't pray to some sort of god, but I'll certainly do a dive on that one and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You have no way of knowing the place of those deaths on the great scale of things...

On a side note, if you are *that* concerned, you'd better go and actually feed some of them, instead of praying...

1. profile image55

Hi, I'm not sure what your first statement means, could you please clarify?

As to your second statement, I don't pray. Two hands working accomplishes more than billions clasped in prayer.

19. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I believe there are universal truths that transcend most religions.  I do not see the differences you do, not even in say, Islam.

Now if you want to pull in Greek Gods, that would be more say fatalist philosophy, that we have no control over our lives.  I won't say it's impossible, but I will say it's less than useful for maximizing our effectiveness in dealing with the world and for personal happiness.

If you choose to worship Hera, I can call you a Hera-tic.  hehehe

fun discussion, your turn. smile

1. profile image55

The differences are surely there, one need only read the varying tenets between them.

Some refer to me as a pantheist, but I like to get into heated discussions, hence I prefer the term, "Frying Pantheists."   big_smile

1. profile image0

argh, I get lost in the quotes.  ok all in a row:

they may be but differences of what magnitude?  I think the rules for religion are not unsimilar to the rules for a healthy society, a healthy psyche etc.  I think it's all the same.  Be a good person to the best of your capacity, no?

now, you could exclude say, satanism, from that.  :p  I would call that "capitalism".  same tenets.

I am glad you like good spirited (pun intended) debate.  I suspect we shall have great fun.  Oh, and welcome to Hubs~

1. profile image55

I would agree, be a good person and attempt to never do intentional harm to others. However, within the tenets of religions are prohibitions that could determine where one spends their alleged afterlife. If we extracted all the differences between them, you and I would have to simultaneously exist in heaven, hell and Valhalla.

Thanks.

20. JamesRay profile image70
    JamesRayposted 16 years ago

I am undoubtedly confused about the existence of God.  But two years ago, I was diagnosed with lymphoma, and I was given a 50% chance of survival.  I was lucky.  I got great care and the best medicine.  But I also had people praying for me.  Friends who are Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus all prayed for me and also dedicated masses and other religious services on my behalf. I got better.  I have never doubted that the prayers helped a lot.  I'm just not sure why.  I hope it's god.

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

That you don't know and have no way of knowing whether this is good or bad - so you cannot align yourself with the Universe (or God), and your prayer cannot be answered.

In a sense of feeding hungry children - absolutely smile

22. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

Yes, this is an interesting thought provoking thread. Also I love your title (Q). Is it a Star Trek reference of am I the only geek here? Lol.

"Be a good person to the best of your capacity."

Couldn't agree more Iounn!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/LisaMznutz/Smilies/evilvsangel.gif

1. profile image55

Actually no, it;s from 1) religion, specifically the Q Documents, and 2) the postulates of quantum mechanics.

Which is the same place Star Trek got the name from smile See? - there is only one religion.

1. profile image0

Dammit. You're right.......again! tongue

All roads lead to (Q) ...

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image73
              Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

As long as it is the John de Lancie Q and not Corbin Bernsen's or Olivia D'abo's Q.

2. profile image55

Really? I hadn't heard that before. The reason I heard Gene Roddenberry chose the letter "Q" for the character and race was in honor of his friend, Janet Quarton.

23. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

that must be the new Star Trek.  I grew up with the old one, on tv.  How I loved that show!  I was in love with Captain Kirk/William Shatner for the longest time. smile

1. profile image0

Yes, 'Q' is from Star Trek The Next Generation with Captain Jean Luc Picard. Couldn't get enough of that show. Lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL - well, the new star trek is actually the old star trek now smile Just not quite as old as the really old star trek - which is now the new ancient star trek smile

1. profile image0

lol, ok, so I'm ancient. hehehe

I refuse to watch the new ones because they are new.  I'm such a traditionalist just when you least expect it. *blush*

I hate remakes.  It annoys me to no end, the new Parent Trap, Cinderella (what, no Leslie Ann Warren??) etc.  I won't watch them.

2. profile image0

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif

24. Mark Knowles profile image58

I felt the same way when the "new'" star trek came out and the same when the "new, new" star trek did (Voyager) and then again when the "new, new, new," ones did (Enterprise)

TNG is awesome

DS9 is OK

Voyager is awesome

Enterprise sux ass

So, you have at least 400 episodes that are worth watching - I envy you smile

I am a Star Trek fan - not groupie - FAN

In fact - I would go so far as to say that Star Trek is my religion (and Hitch Hiker's guide - the books - not the "new" movie)

1. profile image0

We are in agreement again. This is disconcerting. Goodbye.

1. profile image0

roflmao!

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I pray for you, Mark big_smile

1. profile image0

lolz, nice. cool

I don't need your stinkin' heathen prayers - I have Star Trek smile

1. profile image0

*prays for Mark too*

smile

26. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

OMG the sun is shining! No more perpetual endless rain and gloom. My prayers were answered and I must rush outside for some photography!

LOL

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_29.gif

27. profile image50
    broalexposted 16 years ago

In god we trust , there is no other ways , God is everywhere. If people wouldn`t believe in God (God , Allah , Budha - it`s the same one) then why do they say of being afraid of him ? Why Do they celebrate Christmas,  which is The Birth Of Jesus . Why Easter which is when Jesus died for the people ? God exists as evil does too , we wouldnt` be able to go through good and bad otherwise.

1. profile image0

Buddha is not God. Now I really must go.

28. profile image50

RFox Budha is "God" for those who believe in him. That`s what I meant. Trust me , if you want to start believing in say.."Your Laptop From tomorrow on" and really practice that , you might end up praying to it aswel. I have seen people praying to statues. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

Another example when you would have been much better off not registering on the thread big_smile For your education, here is the quote from wikipedia:

29. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

broalex, I think you and I don't differ too much.  I believe God is a priori, comes before us, and we don't see God because God surrounds us from the moment we come into being so everything we are, think, do, see comes after that.

pirsig said this about 'quality' in "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" and he also compared it to the Greek "good" and that could be God.

that is part of my belief system.

30. profile image50

Iounn It might be true. What is your religion if I may?

1. profile image0

Catholic. 

I am not sure if you are aware but it is Catholic catechism that any person trying to do right by himself and others out of a reaching for good goes to Heaven.  It doesn't matter what religion you are, or even if you have never heard of God.  It is called "baptism by desire", that if the information had been put to you in such a way you could understand it, you would have chosen it.

smile

31. profile image50

Misha you get me wrong a bit. Sorry for that big_smile
    You don`t understand what I mean by God.
    God for me is the Universe.
    God knows all , God makes things happen..
    As for Buddha being the historical founder of Buddhism
    I`ve read wikipedia now .. He has been the founder
    But what you don`t understand is what i mean by "God"
    It`s the "Thing" we believe in
    The thing that created us..
    And thank you for the information
    but I am really more into psychology and art than religion.

big_smile

32. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

broalex, it is pretty much like to say "Moses was God" big_smile

If you did not know, RFox is a Buddhist, and she knows what she is talking about - you don't

33. profile image50

[Iounn]

I am orthodox not a  much difference from Catholic we are both Christian.

1. profile image0

smile smile 

I am glad we have some areas we meet in.  I like to discover similarities and differences with others, hopefully joyously.  It's lovely we have this part in common.  Yes, it is close, I think.

34. profile image50

Misha one more thing yes RFox might be buddhist --  I understand that...
    But if Budha is not Buddiht`s God then who is it?
    Moses you mean the Saint ? The one that split the sea into two ?

1. Misha profile image63

God in Buddhist understanding is not personalized. Buddha ( any of Buddhas ) could be mapped as a prophet in Christianity...

And yes, I meant Moses with ten commandments...

2. profile image0

Okay, so I am back.

Buddhists do not believe in a God. We believe that divine entities exist but to be honest we don't care about that. It is not our focus. We do not have a figurehead. We do not worship anyone, the Buddha included.

In fact the Buddha himself stated emphatically "Do not worship me. I am not a God."

The Buddha was a human being who achieved enlightenment. He is called 'The Compassionate One' as he transcended beyond the human entrapments of ego, desire, selfishness, the need for a separate self and could embrace all living beings in a state of true love and kindness.

We look up to him as an example of what we want to achieve in our lives. He is a 'supreme human being' not a 'supreme being'. He does not dictate what happens, he is not in control of the universe, he did not create us. He was a simple man.

We believe Karma is what perpetuates the universe and life as we know it, not a God. And Karma is self perpetuating. We all dictate what happens to us. (very simplified explanation.)

What causes a lot of misinterpretation in regards to Buddhism is the fact that Mahayana and Tibetan Buddhists made statues and figures of the Buddha and bow down to these. What outsiders do not understand is that we are NOT worshiping him.

Human beings are very visual creatures. The statues and paintings etc are to remind us of our goal of achieving enlightenment. It is to remind us of the possibility that all sentient beings have Buddha Nature and can become a Buddha.

When we are under stress we can forget our goals and lash out in anger or frustration. Having these symbols in our homes helps to remind us of our compassionate nature. We bow down to them to humble ourselves in an effort to remove our ego. As bowing down to anyone has a humbling effect on the psyche. Ego is the enemy to cultivating true compassion.

For (Q): Thanks for explanation of your moniker. Sounds very interesting!

35. profile image50

Me too Iounn big_smile
    I love art big_smile
    Photography (Photo Editing) more precise , writing and graffiti.

www.deviantart.com  - for people that love art by all its means .. (Iounn poetry too)

big_smile

36. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I have seen that site.  Some of the photography work there is outstanding.  We share also an interest in art and photography (although from my side, just as an audience).

37. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well, that's what I believe - I have faith you see, in the power of Star Trek and pretty much write it to suit the occasion smile

Although I am prepared to accept that there are other gospels worth listening to , such as Star Wars and The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the galaxy. Amen....

38. Thom Carnes profile image60
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

I can't help being reminded of Ambrose Bierce's definition of the verb 'to pray' in his Devil's Dictionary: "to ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy."

39. Karen and Lesley profile image60
    Karen and Lesleyposted 16 years ago

Prayer most definitely works!  My husband was facing a daunting problem when going to work this morning.  I know it was something that he was really worried about and so I asked him if he had prayed about it?  My husband doesn't attend church unlike myself, my daughter and my sister who attend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.  we have always attended church and I don't know where I would be without it.  My faith is the one thing that keeps me grounded.  Anyway back to my story.  He told me that he had been praying about this problem because it was something completely beyond his control to solve.  later on in the day I received a very happy call from him telling me that everything had gone very well.  On a personal basis I have had many times when I know that my prayers have been answered.  Many in unexpected ways.

40. Mark Knowles profile image58

There you go Thom - It's just as you were saying. smile

By the way, I am liking your posts more and more smile

1. Thom Carnes profile image60
      Thom Carnesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, Mark!

41. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 16 years ago

In asking the question "Does prayer work?" , this is in essence that you receive what you are praying for.

Just because you don't get what you pray for doesn't mean that your prayer does not work. God has his own plan and his own reasons for everything. While you may pray for something you desire, God may have a different plan for you. This is where faith comes in. When you have faith in God, you trust Him to know what is best for you in His plan.

Have you ever prayed for something that you didn't get and then later think back with relief that it didn't come true? To believe only that prayers are working if you receive what you pray for isn't prayer in faith but for self servant purposes. Just because you don't receive what you pray for doesn't prove that prayers don't work.

This, of course, is based on my belief as a Christian and believer in God. I am sure there are people who won't agree with my beliefs and that is their choice. I am simply posting my opinion to the original question posted.

Bonnie Ramsey

42. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

I think so.

43. Mark Knowles profile image58

I found an interesting tidbit to add to this discussion:

"In 1872, Francis Galton conducted a famous statistical experiment to determine whether or not prayer had a physical effect on the external environment. Galton hypothesized that if prayer was effective, members of the British Royal family would live longer, given that thousands prayed for their wellbeing every Sunday. He therefore compared longevity in the British Royal family with that of the general population, and found no difference.[9] While the experiment was probably intended to satirize, and suffered from a number of confounders, it set the precedent for a number of different studies, the results of which are contradictory."

44. Rudra profile image68
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

If God answered prayers than he/she has a pretty bad sense of humour. This means that God likes being prayed upon. Why would God favour someone who prayers over someone who doesnt.
    Example: Think about this. If 2 people are hungry and dying. Who would you give the food to survive; the one who prayers to YOU for food or BOTH?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

theoretically in prayer, if one who prayed for the other to be fed, then both would be fed, if one prayed for only thier self, then only the other would get the food, because selfish desires have none to do with the spirit, but a good prayer is always answered.

So think about this: what are people praying for?

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Give time for god and he gives you his time,ignore him and he ignores you.By praying you are basically connecting with god your other or higher self so things flow more smoothly as you synchronise yourself with the universe,become the universe.We are like puppets ,the cosmos acts through us and its our ego which makes us believe we are the doers.

We will give the food to whoever is destined to have it.God decides who,where ,what and how much one shall feed,

Poet Mohit.K.Misra

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are also people who can heal but seldom do as they realise the absolute perfection of this universe and that they should not interfere in gods way.They also take on the karma of the person by healing the person so it is mainly out of compassion.

45. tinyteddy profile image59
    tinyteddyposted 16 years ago

does  prayer  work?
    lets  take a look at  the  harsh realities
    ther  is  cautious  pessimism and  careless  optimism- which category  do you  belong to?
    the truth  is  human  beings are  not  pessimistic  or  optimistic  but    drift  from    cautious  pessimism  to careless optimism.
    so  inorder  to develop an armour of protection they pray?  protection from what?  negative thought  processes  of  course
      even  when  there  is  no  hope they  pray  for a miracle knowing  fully  well  that a  shimmer  of  hope  itself  is a miracle
    most  of the time  what they  acive  is  an oneness  of  mind-
    purposeless  pursuit  of the  vaccuum  of mind
      and regardless  of  what they achieve  prayers  shut them  off  for a while
    most  of the  time  faith  offers them  hope.

have  you  heard  of  this  story- let me repeat   it incase  you  havent
    a  business man was on the  verge  of  bnakruptcy  and he wanted  to commit  suicide.
    he  goes  to a  mountain top  and when  he was  about  to  jump  came  a  van  and  a  man    dressed impeccably  beyond  means  and  stopped  him.he was sympathetic  and  the  businessman poured  out his heart.
    so much so that the  man in the  suit  patted him and said ' dont  worry  so  how much money would  solve    your  problem'
    the business man said   one million  dollars  and  he promptly  took out  his  cheque book and    wrote  two million  dollars  and  signed  rockfeller.
    the business msn  could  not  believe  himself.he  thanked  him and said  in a year  same place  same time he will repay him.
    and he went  back  happy.  but    having that cheque as  an  investent  with regained  vigour and vitality  he started  his  bussiness and  without  encashing the  cheque  in  6 months  he  regained all what he  lost
      in a year  he went  to the   place  happy and awaited    rockfeller.
    there  came a van  and  out  came  rockfeller dressed in  hospital robes.  and  before he could  hand overthe  cheque  came  a  nurse  behind  him  and said- and there  you  are  dont  you  again  claim  to be rockfeller  and sign  another  bank cheque  to    this  gentle man-  and  took  him back to the  asylum.
    so  you have  faith  you  dont   even  have  to invest money.  you  can  gain  faith  by  praying  to almighty  or to yourself  or to the  ancestors  or to the nature

46. vreccc profile image60
    vrecccposted 16 years ago

My humble thinking on this is quite different than where this thread has gone. Prayer is often thought of as petitioning God for something, often tangible. I do not see prayer as being this at all. I would be very disappointed if it was. God is not my b@#ch who is there to give me what I want when I want it.

I see prayer as the primary means by which a believer increases the intimacy of their relationship with God. Now, that is not to say that we can't pray for "something" like health and what not. But, I think it is very misleading to ask why God didn't answer the prayer to make the little baby dying of cancer to be miraculously healed. If the boy dies, does that mean God is not there? I don't think so. Then we are judging God based on a standard that we have created. This is the most absurd of all. The created setting the standards by which the creator is judged.

47. vreccc profile image60

If there is a God and He has asked us to pray, then the question is not does it work, but rather "how" does it work.

48. Mark Knowles profile image58

Quite right, but judging from the many people on this thread who say prayer does work because they have been healed, seen a miraculous recovery or got what they wanted, there is a large group who thinks "prayer" is about asking for what they want. even the dictionary definition starts with this:

1. A reverent petition made to God, a god, or another object of worship.
       2. The act of making a reverent petition to God, a god, or another object of worship.

In that context, I don't see how it can work. smile

49. vreccc profile image60

We certainly set ourselves up for disappointment when we ask for things through prayer and then don't get them. So, I prefer to mainly use it as a way to make closer my relationship with God. I do pray for healing if I'm sick, but I don't question the validity of prayer if I remain sick for a week.

50. Mark Knowles profile image58

Exactly LOL - But if you are healed does that validate the prayer?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)