Abortion rights

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. emdi profile image63
    emdiposted 14 years ago

I am not able to understand this concept of 'Abortion rights'. The right to kill? The right of parents to kill their children,because they created them? and why is it that if I kill the child when she is in the womb not a crime, but when I kill her when she is outside a crime?

why is it that only catholic church is against it? Is there something written in the 'catholic bible' that killing your children is a sin ? Do Catholics has a different God? Sorry I really don't get it. Why no other christian community (or other  religious people) don't consider killing your children a crime/sin?

or is it because the child in the womb don't has a passport or nationality?

The child in the womb definitely has a heart that beats. But she cannot speak nor can defend her right to life, the right to live. Then what is the difference with Nazis where they killed the mute and the dumb?

From a religious or a social point of view, I could not understand the core issue in US politics ' The Abortion rights'. Please somebody help me.

1. profile image52
      oldcaptfrankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the only thing that my bible has to say about abortion is:
      protect the unborn......oldcaptfrank

2. prettydarkhorse profile image54
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there are just reasons why women resort to abortion, like if the baby is the product of incest, rape, mothers life is in danger etc. I will only agree to abortion if the mothers life is in danger.

In other developing coutries there are almost 400, 000 abortions conducted every year, and mortality rate is high because induced abortion is very high. The government cant provide safe abortion to women and they die of comlpications because it is clandestine.

The thing here is that women still resort to abortion even if it is illegal, why not provide them safer facilities because they will resort to abortion anyway and it becomes dangerous if they do it themselves.

The solution is to provide people with safe abortion clinics, or minimize abortion by simply providing adequate contraception.

Remember it is the womans body and the UN also provides for reproductive health rights of women, it boils down to individual values

1. dejajolie profile image58
        dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(EXACTLY-I know of someone who was molested by a family member when she was only 15 years old and became pregnant, and the pregnancy was terminated. This was the right decision for her and HER parents. These circumstances are extreme and this was the healthy solution FOR THEM.) TO EACH THEIR OWN, IF YOU HAVEN'T PERSONALLY BEEN IN THE SITUATION YOU CANNOT JUDGE. This decision is personal whether you agree or not, I pray I'm never in this situation because I don't know what I will do. P.S This was not an easy decision, and now 15 years later she thinks about it everyday, but she does not regret her decision or the decision her parents made for her.

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My opinion is that abortion is a sin. So is homosexuality, fornication,adultery, glutney,stealing,gossiping etc.
         Just my opinion but I think that condemnation of others should be the greatest of them all.
        But Jesus said that one sin is not any greater than another.  And he who is without sin should throw the first stone.
        Not in this lifetime but afterwards we will be given the right to judge. We will have to honestly judge ourselves with the same measure as we judge others in this life.

Imagine standing before Christ asking for love and forgiveness...  Now; imagine Christ saying " What ya got in your pockets"? 
         Ya empty your pockets and he sees that ya been carrying hate and unforgiveness around all your life.
         What do you think that Jesus should say?
         I think (the least he will say)  "why ya been carrying that? ya gotta put that down! caint take any of that inside!
          ????????
         whatch ya think?

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's why I go to Hell.
        Free entrance and no questioning.

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

1. Jerami profile image59

I hope everybody knows that I wasn't judging anybody.
               Yaul was just teasin me Huh.

4. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand the politics either, but it is not just Catholics that are anti abortion.  Yesterday's Focus on the Family program was discussing this issue. If you have time, find it in their archives and listen to it.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I can not think of any instance where I could have an abortion. For me it is way to scary a thing to contemplate, thus I have taken care to use precautions so as to avoid unwanted pregnancy. That said I had a friend who did have one and I don't judge her, never even realized she had gotten pregnant in the first place! Whether she will be able to have a child down the road I don't know, I have heard that sometimes an abortion ruins the chances for kids in the future. The point is her decisions are hers and I am in no place to judge, I have yet to achieve perfection roll.

I actually am trying to have a child and have been told not to get to excited if it happens until the second trimester as babies can self abort (or the body does it naturally) in the early days. I think the point is, is the baby alive at 1 week, 1 day, or 3 months or even more? I do have some problems with late abortions being administered, I cannot argue that life starts at conception but at the point where there is a heart beat or brain activity or the ability to feel pain, its to late for something like an abortion, that is something I find very hard to stomach and it is legal in some areas.

3. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

"Safe" abortion? None are safe for the baby. If a mother who kills a baby dies with the baby, why is that so bad?

As for judging, don't we have a whole justice system in place? The very purpose of it is to judge; judging isn't automatically wrong only if a christian does it.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will only respond to the first paragraph...

women will resort to abortion anyway even if it is illegal, what makes it dangerous and risky to their lives is to perform it with an unlicensed practitioners for example or they do everything for the baby to be aborted, jump, drink concontions, insert cathether into their _____, so the government should facilitate it through clinics with doctors licensed to perform.

The thing is they should curb the growth of unwanted pregnancy, like making contraceptives cheaper or easy to access, or include it in sex education for children in schools, to be aware of the consequences of unwanted pregnancy,

2. Jerami profile image59

What goes around comes back around.
        Empathy is never against the rules.

4. profile image0

When a mother's life is in danger, that's really hard. Cases of rape, incest, all that, really don't know what I believe about that. I know a woman who is the product of rape and she says her mother has never let her forget it! Better for her to have been given up for adoption. My sister-in-law was dying from her pregnancy, doctors kept trying to get her to abort but she had spent so much time fighting abortion and counseling others that it was wrong, she couldn't. She and the baby are fine, she made it but it didn't look like she would.
    Then a friend of mine who had an abortion spent the next ten years hooking up with abusive men until she admitted she felt she deserved it for murdering her baby.

Wonder what I would do if I got pregnant as old as I am? I'd be horrified, having babies after already having three grandchildren.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Entire thread: Sarah Palin

6. profile image51
    letzki97posted 14 years ago

we are created in God's image and likeness....as long as conception is concern there is already life....life that came from God....no one has the right to kill that fetus inside the mother's womb! 

If Blessed Mother Mary did not care for her child in her womb we won't have SALVATION!

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here in lays the heart of this issue. The teachings here against abortion are taken directly from a belief or religion and for a religious person it will prove persuasive indeed. The people who do not support a ban on abortion are often not swayed by religious belief, either from their atheism or belief of a god defined totally by science and nature, not biblical or other holy text. If the spark of life could be scientifically proven and found, the exact moment life begins and it was shown to start at conception I do think the laws would change.

You can tell a person that morally speaking adoption or effective properly used contraceptives are an alternative to abortion but until you have actually been in their shoes how can you judge? I always thought that was why Jesus taught that we should not judge, we can never in life be able to totally understand the other persons situation and without a God like understanding we have no authority to judge. For those with religion who still support the right to choice I expect this refusal to judge is the strongest reason. At the end of the day all you can really do is be responsible for your own moral decisions and understand that you cannot control others moral decisions and let them live with what they choose. Trying to control others always ends badly.

7. profile image0

We judge people all the time, we have laws for a reason. Murder is one of the laws that was on everyone's list I would have thought.

8. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

In my counsels with people I make it plain and clear that only under circumstances of rape, incest or if the pregnancy is putting the life of the mother in iminent danger should such a procedure be considered.  Definitely not under a consenting situation and definitely not if a handicap is found prior to birth.  There are many situations and each must be handled with care and individuality.

To kill a life due to a rape, it's the same  as to kill a life due to consenting situations.
      A life is a life
      One fetus is just like the other.

I am pro abortion, because I think everybody has the right to do what they think best, even if it's something so terrible as to take a life.
      To each his /her conscience.
      Sometimes nothing can be done to avoid that situation.

9. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Regardless of the subject matter or the circumstances.
    We can not make someone else wear our morals.
    I think that my morals look good on me but does not fit you very well. You won't look good in them.

10. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

Abortion is a personal decision that depends as much on belief as it does circumstance, and for those not directly involved in each individual case to try and impose their own rules and sit in judgement is obscene.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

11. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think abortion is a contradiction of life. I think it gives the impression that life is invaluable when it can legally be erased. On the other hand, I think it would be insane to illegalze a raped woman from getting an abortion or a 13 yr. old girl.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)