jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)

What is Religion?

1. mcbean profile image82
    mcbeanposted 7 years ago

A quote for you:

"Religion is when you kill each other to see who has the best imaginary friend"

Steven Wright.

Discuss..................

1. pylos26 profile image77
      pylos26posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Religion is a fraud...devised to corral the weak and afraid...and separate them from their money.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image73
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

A simplification. Replace "is" with "sometimes seems to involve".

2. arthriticknee profile image88
    arthritickneeposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately accurate!

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Religion is a business. It's a business that is based on a code of ethics, for which, are bound to a higher cause.

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

Religion is a man made-mass produced strategy to create then try to ease peoples fears.

5. profile image0
    zampanoposted 7 years ago

Any of you been in religion before ?

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yep.

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, for way too long. Then, self-realized the hoax. But, thank you for asking. big_smile smile

6. profile image0

HAHA ! I knew it.
    big_smile

7. profile image0

So, I think a lot of our generation (late 50s) and maybe the next know more or less what they are talking about.
    I dismissed religion at about the age of 17.
    But I kept no resentment about it.
    I still think that the unfortunate facts associated to religion are more due to human nature than to religion in itself.

So, was Steven Wright ?

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Too wright he was! lol

2. Daniel Carter profile image91
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Whether he was "right" or not, he pushed some serious buttons (for some).

What fills with me wonderment and amazement (in the most negative way) is that so many believers want God to somehow be like them. (?????!!!!!!!!!) If there is a God, he can't possibly be like any fallible, small-minded, hateful human.

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

we should not confuse "believers" with "proselytes"
        the same way it is not to be confused with "non-believers".
        Some would also suit your description.

1. arthriticknee profile image88
          arthritickneeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Correct. The difference is that non-believers don't brush over the undesireable or blame it on the devil. They accept it as human nature. We are an imperfect beast.
          We do not need God to be good, or the devil to be bad. We manage quite alright on both fronts on our own.

2. arthriticknee profile image88
        arthritickneeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree, surely there should be a footnote to the quote that goes something like " God created man in his own image" that says (minus the bloodlust, hatred, and other less desireable traits etc.)

1. profile image0
          zampanoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It also works the other way round.
          Man created God in his own image. (Including all the rest)

8. Jerami profile image78
    Jeramiposted 7 years ago

Religion...  What is it, you ask?    If I wanted to be religious, what do I have to do to become religious? 
        Do I have to become a Buddhists, or Hindu, or Muslim, or a Christian?
        I have heard it said that my neighbor goes fishing every Sunday  "Religiously"  So it seems as if God does not have to be involved in order to be Religious. Are Atheists religious concerning their non belief.  I think that some are and some are not.
        "By George I think I've got it".   It must have something to do with "enthusiastically proclaiming" your faith or non faith. Or proclaiming your love for fishing or your distaste for it with enthusiasm.
        If I want to be religious all that I have to do is to enthusiastically proclaim ...something??

So it seems that some of us are religious about friends and family.  My brother is religious about watching Wrestle Mania.
         I hope that in some way I have helped you with your delusional manifestations of reality.   

Just teasing about my closing statement. Seen it before and wanted to see what it felt like to say it.  To be honest it felt religiously kinky.

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
      ncmonroe1981posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nice job! I hadn't yet thought of that connotation of the word. good writing, too. I love the phrase "religiously kinky." :-)

9. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
    ncmonroe1981posted 7 years ago

A religion is a man-made institution made of people who are connected by a belief in a collection of codes, holy writings, behaviors, and methods of worship. Religions generally grow up around a belief in a particular deity, or set of deities. Religions do not necessarily accurately reflect the deity (or deities) around which they are centered. Religions, being made of imperfect people, are flawed themselves; many religions all over the world have ended up using terrorist tactics, abusing power, and exploiting the poor.

Religion is not God.

10. UPStar profile image59
    UPStarposted 7 years ago

I have heard religion is people trying to reach God. Christianity is God reaching out to man. I like that. Many religions are created with rules and regulations no human could do. trying to reach God by good works or chanting or whatever.
    But God actually reached out to US through His Son Jesus. Having Him die for all those bad human traits you mentioned earlier so we could be forgiven.
    God is awesome.
    Religion is a wasteful distraction

11. kess profile image59
    kessposted 7 years ago

Religion has succeeded in deceiving many.

Those who love it.
    Those who hate it.

Those Who are not deceived by it are;

Those who have seen the face of God.

12. profile image60
    Precious100posted 7 years ago

RELIGION IS A DUTY!

working