jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Being Christian in Hindu Society

1. aavash profile image59
    aavashposted 6 years ago

I am born and raised in Hindu society and country and there was only small percentage of Christian in our country so adopting Christianity and following the path of Jesus was a kind of what I will like to say an isolated topic however I was always fascinated by the Jesus even I didn’t knew who he was and I asked my mom who was he?? And she on her own limited knowledge use to tell me which somewhat true but not sufficient to convince and fulfill my thirst for Jesus. So I search the keyword” Jesus" in Google and YouTube and I allocated knowledge and I started going to Church and reading Bible and now I am proud to call myself "Christian" even though I think I am the only one Christian in my community and even in the university which I am currently studying and people usually perceive me in another way. More or less they respect me for what I have chose to be and whose path I am walking in and sometimes I feel alienated however this is only our temporary home and at the end we have to go our father's home where we all are common with no religion, caste or race.

1. wesleyacarter profile image60
      wesleyacarterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

nothing but truth here. honesty.

your development and finally the last sentence. wisdom at its finest.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The first church ever build was in India.Hindus accept Jesus as a messenger of god

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image87
        Mikel G Robertsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The first church ever? what's this?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

There is one story about Jesus coming to India gaining god knowledge from the masters and then he going back. Think its is in Kerala considered the first church or temple  build to honor Jesus

3. chukra G profile image60
      chukra Gposted 6 years ago in reply to this

never be proud because of what you believe. religion is one of the belief. don't be proud of that. i do respect for your believe but when you say you are being proud its sounds materialistic. when you proud its mean you already look down to others smile.for me there are no difference between religionist and atheist. same idiots with no understandings

2. docrehab profile image60
    docrehabposted 6 years ago

Hi Aavash, you are certainly NOT the only christian in your community. I will surprise you but you + Jesus and it's enough to say that you are not alone. Why do I say that? Because:

"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matthew 28:20

You may not find Jesus on Youtube or Google I may surprise you. And you may even learn false teachings about him there. Start by finding a bible and read it a lot to have a firm foundation for your faith and pray Jesus as much as you can especially to ask him to know more and more about him. You will grow and learn a lot.

And ask to Jesus to give you the Holy Spirit according to his promise if you have not received him yet. The Holy Spirit will do what you need in your life you will see!

3. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 6 years ago

More reliable stories show that St. Thomas, one of the twelve apostles, had traveled to India.

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Yes according to some he is instrumental in starting the first church in India.

4. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago

St. Thomas lived on the southern beaches of Chennai (Madras) in South India and preached Christianity. That place is now Santhome Church. He was chased by a local king upto a hill, some 5 Kms away and was killed on the hilltop. That place is now called St.Thomas Mount. The road leading to Fort St.George from the Mount is now Mount Road. (Recently renamed Anna Salai by the Govt.)

5. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago

India, now with a population of 1.14 billion, have a meagre Christian  population of less than 1%. But the legacy of Christianity is India is very much commendable. They have transformed the whole Indian society by introducing education and legal systems. The Christians are soft, decent and cultured. So, they have no opposition in India except some tribals, who do not have any culture. For me, Christianity is a branch of Hinduism, which in all aspects preach the same principles (except 'show the other cheek').

6. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I think what it really means is no beef fajitas.

7. joshuachlim profile image60
    joshuachlimposted 6 years ago

Hi Aavash, as docrehab said,just to let u know that u r not alone....like to share with u what i wrote somewhere...

"Your voice, Your spirit always gives me courage to face the world
    I am not alone.
    thank You Lord, I will never be alone. "

1John 16:7-13(paraphrased):
    I will not leave you alone. I will send the Helper, the Holy Spirit to you .
    And when He has come, the Spirit of truth, He will guide you into all truth.

My Love for you will never fail.
    Trust in Me, and I shall straighten your path.
    Have faith and hope in Me.

Everyday is a new day and a new start.
    Put the past behind you, and work your future.
    Do not feel despaired, but instead rejoice
    For the I shall return, and My children will return to Me,
    And they will be with Me for eternity.

Work your way to heaven.
    It’s a narrow and bumpy road,
    But never give up.
    Cling on to My Word;
    Let the My Word be printed in your heart.

Enjoy the life that I’ve blessed you with.
    You’re here for a purpose and a reason;
    It’s not by accident you’re here.

Never let men pull you down,
    Or tell you who you are,
    Because you’ve a father that’s almighty,
    The creator of the heavens and the earth;
    So who shall you fear?

Seek the Kingdom of God,
    And everything shall be added unto you

God is in our midst in our everyday life.
    Supernatural things do happen,
    but with our naked eyes we can’t see it.
    It’s only through the spirit that things are revealed to us.
    It’s only in times of desperation
    that we would turn to a higher power for help,
    for we know that with our own strength
    we can do nothing about it.

But just imagine spending your whole life
    with that person of great authority
    and having His favor over you….
    you would be able to do things
    you thought were impossible.

Many things happen we find hard to understand,
    and as unique and special we may be,
    creation can never out beat the Creator.
    We are only part and parcel of the His masterpiece.
    As small as we are, we are part of this great art piece,
    for every one of us could be a history maker,
    with the potential to be.
    It’s all determined by the choices we make
    and the life we choose to live.
    The light is there but we don’t see it because we are blind.
    But you can see through our hearts,
    and feel the presence of God around you;
    and feel His love too.
    But unless we have the desire and passion we won’t get it.
    Everyone of is imperfect but God is flawless and perfect.
    And we are made righteous through Him so we can be like Him.
    All it requires is great faith.
    Faith can move mountains.
    The clock is ticking and time flies
    So capture the moment and make it a fresh start

8. errum fattah profile image59
    errum fattahposted 6 years ago

impressing words u used avash! but how can i belive in u? people r some thing else on net n something else in reality isn't it? if u r christian than y u putted ur name as avash, a hindu name? if u knews tht u r christian than y u didn't changed ur name? i think u r proud to call urself a christian cuz they r white...lol!