jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why agnostic/atheist ideas are better than blind belief....

1. Pr0metheus profile image60
    Pr0metheusposted 6 years ago

"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant."

"He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it."

-Dogma (1999)

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

A belief is nothing more than an idea that you hold firmly to.  Everything is nothing more than a thought or idea.  It's all fluid and changeable.  It's time to change your beliefs once they no longer serve your best interests.

3. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
    ncmonroe1981posted 6 years ago

This reminds me of a commercial for bite sized Shredded Wheat in which the announcer says that a study shows that children who ate Shredded Wheat for breakfast performed better in school than children who had eaten no breakfast at all.

Cookies are better than no breakfast.

Any organized system of thought is better than blind beliefs.

But all people who are not atheists or agnostics are not blind. There are reasons some people believe. Just like there are reasons other people disbelieve. It's as simple as that.

4. Jerami profile image78
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

One belief is no better than another belief.
      Imagine five people lost in the woods. 
      The first person believes that the car is parked toward the east.
      The second believes that the car is west.
      The third believes south and the forth believes North
      The fifth knows where it is cause he sees it.

So tell me which belief is the best.
      They are all the same because they are all only beliefs.
      So... What is the difference between a strong belief and knowing. 
      The answer is ...  no one seems to know..