My theory on why people start stupid religious forums...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (88 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

This is going to make me unpopular - but who cares?

Ok, as many of you would have noticed there are many stupid forum posts out there to do with Religion.

I put it down to two things:

1) Believers - either to show of the fact that they believe or to try and convert people. It isn't going to work - give up. It is very hard to convert people with arguments about God, easy to justify your own belief, but hard to make people go "Oh yeah, this forum makes sense, suddenly now I believe."

2) Non-believers - there is a theory that people need adversity to survive; with that in mine, my theory is that people like to cause arguments. It is human nature to want to debate and argue things but there is no honour in starting an argument for arguments sake.

3) THE HUB - I reckon what people think is that if they post argumenst which are deliberately bigoted towards one side then their hub views would go up.

How many times do people feel the need to justify what they believe on this site? How many forums have we seen saying "Do you believe in God?" followed by "Do you really believe in God?"

I'm half expecting the next one to say "Are you quite positive you believe in God?"

"Religion vs Science - who's right?"
    "What's right - creationism or evolution?"

You can reword the question as many times as you want, it's still the same freaking question and the same people will answer the same thing.

Geez,

Get over youselves, please.

Freedom of speech is all well and good but so many good, and interesting hubbers have been pushed away because of these forums. FieryCJ and Blondepoet are but two.

1. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where did blondpoet go?

2. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's right, freedom of speech means anyone can make any forum they want and go into any forum they want, as many times as they want. You don't have to join them. People will argue their favorite questions until they're well and truly done with it (or forever, which ever comes first). If people have left the Hub because of other people's discussions, that sounds like a personal problem to me.

Blondepoet was here last night.

Get over *yourself.*

Yeah, I was about to say.......  I asked Blondepoet to marry me once.  She never said no.

1. profile image0
          L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do miss her - she's only ever one once in a blue moon. I asked her on facebook why and she never replied.

I hope she is ok.

She was on last night.  She's good.

2. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is...she was actually on here last night smile

1. profile image0

So I have been informed.
              I missed her.
              Damn it.

You know- I can hear what you are saying.  I'm sick of the same ole same ole all the time.  But still, HubPages needs these forums and people like chatting in them.  There is no shortage of people willing to participate.  I think maybe you need a vacation like I did.

3. Mitch Rapp profile image59
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there a rule that if you are on Hubpages you must frequent religious forums? You don't have to read those posts, you dont have to read any post, its that simple.

That's what we all pretty much said.

1. Mitch Rapp profile image59
          Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good thing then, but I wasn't going to read every response to see how it went.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem is ignorance, which stems from a lack of knowledge and understanding of life. I'll leave it there. smile

Cagsil, have you tried the new threaded look here on the forums?  It allows you to reply to big threads like this, without having to quote the sucker all over again.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am not in the habit of NOT reading the OP and then making a comment, without knowing exactly was going on.

But, thank you for the advice. smile And, besides, if I quote the OP piece, for which, is the person I am talking to in the forum, then I am really not obligated to respond to anyone else, unless I want to, like the person I was talking to.

If someone else jumps into my conversation with another person, just because they feel the need to impose their belief on me, then I'm only going to get angry, because of their lack of knowledge and understanding of life, which lead them to try to impose their belief system on my life. Again, thank you for your input. smile

5. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is another reason. Mental masterbation. The fun of getting down and dirty with some metaphysics. A heated epistemological to and fro. A cheeky look at Descartes meditations. A tete-a-tete with Kant's critique of pure reason. I'm guilty of a bit of that myself. oo er missus!

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're very easy to turn on !

1. Don W profile image82

Indeed. Cogito ergo sum does it for me. Im good with Latin terms wink

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cogito ergo ennui about does it for me.

Seriously......

I agree with that! smile I certainly feel outrage at some of it! smile

2. tantrum profile image60

didn't know latin was  used as a means to  sexual arousal lol

1. Don W profile image82

Purely cerebral interest only lol

1. tantrum profile image60

The brain is the prime sexual organ.
                if not virtual sex wouldn't exist. Nor masturbating with latin.

lol

6. twuxedo profile image59
      twuxedoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mate they start em for a squabble. B ut if you really want to have a squabble, just be like me. Put down an ugly chick, you wouldn't believe the reaction. Specially from the ladies.

1. profile image0
        Marliza Gunterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmm...ja...or ignore the sexy guy and pickup his best friend who is not the spotlight favorite...yip...just boils them blood...

7. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, gosh knows they are the only two interesting hubbers around here roll

if you don't like it, why read it? are your sensibilities really so tender that they get vigorously assaulted when you have to (heaven forfend) scroll through a bunch of religious topics?

oh boy...

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

People may be questioning their own beliefs and trying to see if they hold up through intelligent debate.

They might go through many emotions contemplating the beliefs they have held all of their lives.  This might be expressed in their responses.

Religion and politics are hot topics anywhere you discuss it.

The discussion is needed as communication between individuals is what will help educate many who have not had the opportunity of an educational system in their lives.

They do seem to be the most popular threads.

1. profile image0

My dear sir,

I see no issue with debate as it is via adversity that a man truly finds himself. However, my problem is with the repetition and tenacity of the people who respond. Althought it could easily be argued that these are positive assets towards the forum in question - my argument is simply that some of them are damn stupid and resort to nothing more than mere name calling or, even worse, a forum with the exact same question, just worded slightly differently. It really is not needed.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Participation is not required.
        I really do not participate in religious belief discussions.  I do like to discuss evolution and politics.  I try to treat everyone with as much respect as they have earned.  I mean no offense to anything I post.  Those that do I cannot speak for.

1. profile image0

I do not participate. They just irritate me. It's annoying when you look down the forums and think:
          "Don't want to take part in that, don't want to take part in that, don't want to take part in that, oh, one on cats, might take part in that....oh no, it's turned religious so don't want to take part in that."
          I have absolutely no issue with politics. I have no issue with religion. I have an issue with people posting thousands of posts/forums saying the same thing. It really takes the interesting out of the forums.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Arthur, if only that were true!  Most of the religious posters don't seem to be willing to engage in intelligent debate.  They just want to post a statement and have everyone agree with them.  If someone tries to debate logically, they just say "I believe because the Bible says so".  And I'm sad to see that far too many of the atheists don't even try to engage seriously any more, they just sling abuse.

Because it's impossible to debate with them. They shove all that sinner, lost soul thing down our throats all the time.
        So at last I have to laugh.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I agree there are people you just can't debate with - but if you can't say anything civil, why not just ignore them and let the thread die?

Because I'm a joker
            Everybody knows that.

2. earnestshub profile image80

I feel the same. tantrum along with many others have provided good solid nonpartisan evidence subject to scientific methods of examination for months previously. Not one reply that was related to the subject resulted from this. Impeccable sources, masses of emperical evidence, peer reviewed, backed by the reality that theory must slot in to all related theory to be considered, etc etc.
          What a waste of time! Indoctrination is totally blinding to the extremist religionists on here. I should know better than to try and reach out with reality, I was one of them for a few years. smile

If someone is doubting their own beliefs it would only seem logical to accuse others of sinners as not to face the same reality within themselves for their doubt of belief.

It is also logical that they would be wanting to lash out and the pc right in front of them is the easiest way.

The last place most people want to go is to the source of their thinking, and religion helps to keep people away from self examination with the "devil in the corner" thinking. smile

If they are in religious forums to try and convert people I can understand.

If they are trying to prove to themselves that what they have been taught is in fact true.  It could be devastating to them to have their doubts somehow encouraged.

I can understand how someone in that situation would not be willing to accept what they knew deep in their subconscious to be true to be flawed.

Arguing to support their beliefs would be like a form of denial directed towards others.  It is themselves they are really arguing with.

1. profile image0
                  1. profile image0

hehe...yip...like the day when young satan had to rally up his brothers to stand by him when he caught himself a temper tantrum...oh...and did he not need the support of his brothers to go against his Father...so he might not be all alone in this big ole world...and to support his childish faith that he could actually defeat his Father in a mano-o-mano combat and proclaim victory...wishing himself the new instant homemade god...

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are some of us who are sure of their personal beliefs be it in Allah, God  or the spaghetti guy. I don't need to prove anything, nor am I interested in arguing about it on a forum. I do not go to threads of a different belief so I can post insults. There is a total lack of respect or an inability to leave alone what does not interest some.  Just my thoughts, Holly smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

But if you're so sure of your beliefs you don't need to debate it, what are you doing on a religious forum anyway?  What is there to discuss?

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
            h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I come to the forums to interact with others and learn. How else can I learn about people? I ask questions respectfully, and I learn a lot of how other people handle life. And I read many more threads than I post in. A few I contribute to, again I feel I am respectful about it.
            Can't people contribute to a thread without having to convert someone or be buried in insults? Holly

3. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

My theory, boredom.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am with you there, Luke...too many religion forums. Where are the fun forums where people chat and have fun not argue and try to get everyone else banned. roll oh well to each their own.
    and yes I too have noticed more hubbers have gone. i personally left too but I came back because ppl actually missed me..

1. profile image0

I think that was during my *banned* phase.
      Although I was banned for different reasons - not due to forums but due to age.
      I left over Christmas and only came back yesterday in order to avoid the 'Religious Rush'.
      I sympathise entirely.

1. profile image0

Yea I banned myself over Christmas too..a lot of other stuff was happening...be glad you weren't here

5. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

I missed you.

1. profile image0

you did? but we hardly ever chatted RK

Um. I know. 

Never mind.  I failed at being witty.

1. profile image0

lol it's all good RK we chated once in a while I think with IE

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

what would you like on your toast?

7. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I do sympathize to a certain point, but who would be the arbiter of what should be allowed as a topic?  I just read or comment on those I am interested in.  I avoid the drama threads such as "please help poor me" topics and some I just have no interest in at all.  Do you think you are qualified to decide for everyone?

1. profile image0

You have a point. I am not one to say what should and should not be allowed. However, I did not say it wasn't allowed. I said it was annoying as heck.

Anyway, I'm off now. Bye all. Thank you for some interesting debate.

Have a good one.

2. profile image0

you mean you wouldn't even come help me Randy? *sniff sniff* lol just kidding

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I would find it hard to believe you'd have to post here for help because you probably have lots of people who care for you close by.  Cause you seem so nice!

1. profile image0

aaaaaa Randy that was a sweet thing to say and yes I do have some friends, not really close but a phone call would be fine. But I have asked for help on here smile writing wise big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Writing advice is one thing, sympathy or attention getting is something else.

1. profile image0

that is true...i did put up a panic one when my MIL was coming lol oh I thought I couldn't breath!

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

See ya Luke...time for me to go to I need to run over to Michael's and get more wreaths for one of my 2010 hobbies smile ttyl Luke and RK

Be safe.

9. profile image49
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

Personally, I like to test the consistency of my personal philosophies and ideas about the universe against other minds... though it's gotten to the point where that'd be easier if believers would raise the level of their game a bit.

But I think a more interesting question is why do people who claim to think religious debate is stupid go well out of their way to wade into a religious debate and complain about all the religious debate going on around them.

10. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

People stop frequenting the forums because those debates do become tired, as they have been around for thousands of years, there will never be an answer one way or the other most likely.

People show up at hubpages, find some fun in engaging in the debate for a while, then realize the futility, realize no one is listening to them anyway unless they keep their posts to under 30 words, and they move on.  It's been happening for the whole time I've been here, and, frankly, I've seen it happen on other forum communities for a couple of decades.  You get waves of little sub-cliques who rise, rally around each other, and then fade out, making room for the next etc.

It's just how it works.

11. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

There are stupid people and thus many stupid post.

There are good questions and I try to answer them truthfully.

Thus I learn from truth within even if on one else does.

12. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

to argue.

13. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

What about a thread about why people open threads about theories about stupid religious forums ?

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tempting tongue

14. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Most Active in this Forum
    tantrum
    earnestshub
    (Q)

I enjoy religion forums !!

lol
    lol
    lol

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

He is too young to have a theory. wink

16. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

LOL Zampano. That's f-ing brilliant!

My theory is that there are two kinds of people: Direct and Indirect.

Directs see things in black and white. They spend their lives (and hours on the Forums) trying to convince other Directs that Black is White or White is Black, depending on their persuasion (in this case, Believers vs. Non-Believers).

Indirects, on the other hand, are essentially Observers and Chroniclers. They see infinite shades of Gray. They are fascinated with personality typing and with why other people do the things they do. So in this scenario, the Indirect will start a thread about WHY other people start threads on a topic just to see how other people respond.

But you gotta watch out for those Indirects, as they are clever and cunning and will ultimately get you muddled into a cranial knot big_smile. MM

17. profile image0
    Marliza Gunterposted 14 years ago

My theory on why people start stupid religious forums...hehe...luckily its a theory and not a fact...i've been upstairs...yap...and its great there...has been downstairs...and..yip..its hell ova there...seen the Big Boss...oh yeh!!..He's really the Almighty One...not cause He says so..cause He CAN...

Where the Hell have you been ? yikes

roll

18. tantrum profile image60

That's why I don't fight seriously any more. I´ve decided that's healthier to laugh
    lol

.. and loving it! Sorry. Maxwell Smart got hardwired early in my life! lol

lol

1. agvulpes profile image84
          agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ohhh, missed by 'that much' cool

19. tantrum profile image60

I agree.

20. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

attention seeking behaviour!

21. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

some, not all. you can usually spot the attention wh0re$...

22. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Most of the contentious threads I have seen come about because a religious person says something, a none religious person says something logical, the religious person becomes upset by the logical response, and then all out comment war breaks out.

I tend not to visit the religious forums anymore, most of the threads are not pleasant, are not structured, and are just arguments which end nowhere.

Personally I do not believe in any God, I think anyone who believes in any deity has a severe mental problem, and it worries me that so many people around the globe can suffer from such a large scale mass delusion.

However, I also see no point in posting antagonising threads on the subject. In the same way you would not argue with a homeless person saying he smells of roses, I would not tell a Religious person their imaginary figure does not exist.

1. agvulpes profile image84
      agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL  I believe that is what you just did?

Just so! smile

23. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i usually don't focus on the poster. i focus on Bible content.

24. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

How so?

I said that I tend not to visit religious forums, not that I do not visit them.  The post also had a pertinent point, so  am not entirely sure where you are coming from.

I actually came here after having a gander at Cosette's profile tongue

Well, in the thread above you did say religionists have mental problems, not that I disagree with that, then you say you would not come out and tell them, which you have just done. smile You also sound like you're critical of those who do have a go at them openly as if we are wasting our time but you are not. Probably just the way you worded it. smile Cosette is a gem! smile

25. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

I have not seen arguable debate yet on Hubpages or anywhere, people are too violent in their expression of view either it be religious people or atheists.
    I think it useless religious discussions should be removed, they are of no benefit or usefulness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)