jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Deitism? What about thinking for yourself?

1. jfreemon profile image60
    jfreemonposted 6 years ago

Religion, politics, and beliefs -- these all intertwine to form the foundations of our everyday morals.

So without further ado, why does everyone feel the need to follow deity religions? Furthermore, why is it that religions without a traditional deity when they were created, form a need for someone to call a deity? (For example, Buddhism.)

And please, do avoid directly approaching the title and bypassing the question, "Why do people need someone to look up to?"

1. thevoice profile image61
      thevoiceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

until all people respect the rights freedoms of each other struggle goes on

2. Cagsil profile image85
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This isn't the correct way to understand morals. I am of the wisdom that morals have an absolute standard, which many do not know exists. It is a common misconception and leads to the results we have in society.

Because a lack of knowledge and understanding of life.

There is a firm perceived belief based on the inclination that all humans are evil in nature and must have a higher authority to answer to. Hence, each culture has it's own myths.
      Because, they themselves cannot understand their own existence.

Great questions. smile

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When a man understand his spiritual origin, he will naturally desire to give himself for the benefit of such for his existence is directly dependant on his creator.

If one do not understand this spiritual origin, then what purpose will he labour except for his physical origin.

And in this physical life, if he understands the power of goodness, to live selflessly for the benefit of others.

That one is on a one way course into the kingdom of God.   

For the one true God is the father of the truly selfless, for of such is His kingdom.

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

and no doubt you are truly selfless. smile

4. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you think for yourself without the aid of Family, (upbringing), Society (social behavior),  or religion (indoctrination), you wouldn't believe in any God.
      God is Fear, and that's the way people are controlled.

5. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In the words of Billy Graham, if I remember it correctly, "Inside of every man (or woman) there is a god-shaped vacuum, that only He can fill".

I believe it's an inbuilt yearning to know Him, (our Creator). All religion is man's way of trying to fill that void.

Many choose to give up on the task and dismiss anything spiritual in life.
      We all think for ourselves, and make the choices that best satisfy us individually.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Looks like they just do. Not all of them, though. smile

And if I understood you correctly, I wouldn't agree to your depiction of Buddha as a deity, to my understanding he is not smile

1. jfreemon profile image60
      jfreemonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've actually heard mixed things about this, which is why I chose to include Buddha as an example. My basic understanding is that Buddha gives a way for people to live, yet things such as statues and the like seem to regard him as a deity.

3. Arthur Fontes profile image90
    Arthur Fontesposted 6 years ago

I thought there were many Buddhas.  I thought the statue represented an enlightened one.

4. 0
    R.G. San Ramonposted 6 years ago

Idealism...people need look up to someone they admire and see as relatively "perfect" in order to have a baseline to compare themselves against. Interestingly, idealistic people are those who readily admit to themselves that they are limited, finite and imperfect. Because of this, existentialists are, in a sense, atheistic; it is impossible to fit in their philosophy a kind of meaning existing beyond the point of human existence. As such, existentialists, although they recognize that they can be "better" as they go on with their lives, do not necessarily think in perfect and absolute terms.

So not everyone believe in a supposed diety. However, "needing" is a totally different thing. I am an idealist, and I admit that it is very difficult for me to grasp how hardcore existentialists can think that they can live life without incorporating (or even thinking about) a past, a meaning beyond themselves.

5. Rod Marsden profile image87
    Rod Marsdenposted 6 years ago

The simple answer is that we are social animals and social animals need leaders in order to form a social group identity. Chimpanzees and gorillas are examples of animals that also have this need. The animal that acquires the most useful piece of knowledge or seemingly the most useful piece of knowledge for the group or the society then lives on after death sometimes as more than what they were in life. Sometimes it has to do with strength or skill when they were alive that becomes exaggerated overtime.

The Greek gods are very human. I believe Hercules was once a real strong man who became exaggerated into a demi-god after his death. When it comes to the Norse gods a similar pattern emerges. Odin or Wodin(V) was probably a gifted soothsayer and medicine man in real life but when he passed away he was first exaggerated into the god of death and then into the god of gods. Remembering in a semi-literate society or a society where reading and writing is just getting a hold on the populace does lead to tall tales and tall tales to gods.

For some time it has been thought that Jesus was one of the exceptions to the general rule because of his humble beginnings and the crucifixion. Of course the crucifixion is mirrored to some extent in Norse mythology by Odin's experience on the Tree of knowledge.