2,000 Year Old Grudge

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (257 posts)
  1. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 14 years ago

For about 2,000 years, Jews have taken the rap for the crucifixion of Jesus. Crucifixion was a Roman punishment set aside for slaves, rebels and Jews. When Jerusalem was under Roman occupation, only the Roman government had the authority to put anyone to death. Pilate would have the last word on Jesus’ fate and according to Roman records (not the Bible), Pilate was nothing nice to the Jews. Pilate had a long history of controlling unruly Jewish gatherings by send in a Roman legion and have them all slaughtered. That was Pilate’s idea of crowd control, and by doing that got himself sent to the far end of the Empire to keep him out of the Emperor’s hair. So it was the Romans, now the Jews who executed Christ. The only thing the Romans get blamed for is poor driving skills!

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Jews were the ones shouting, "Crucify Him!" These are the same ones who were healed by Him.

aka said it right. No man could take His life. He couldn't die. Death had no power over Him at all. He gave His life as a ransom for all men.

1. profile image54
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Jesus myth is one of fool-proof contradiction. A son of a god is a god, no matter how you look at it, and since he was the son of a god, he couldn't die.

Hence, his death was faked by him to fool everyone into believing he actually died.

1. profile image0

Pretty good at faking a death. Hanging on a cross with a spear thrust into His side.

His death wasn't a Hollywood stunt as many may think. God can do anything. This just happened to be one of the most important things He did.

1. profile image54

It doesn't matter what terrestrial pain and suffering you believed was caused, he was a god and could not die.

Then, by your own logic that "God can do anything" he can also fake his death.

You agree with me.

1. profile image0

I do not agree with you but I do modify my statement. God can do anything but he cannot sin.

1. profile image54

Of course, you don't agree. This wonderful little contradiction that YOU admit demonstrates the house of cards your faith is built.

Faking a death is not a sin. smile

1. profile image0

I wonder if you have ever made a mistake in your life. Of course you don't have to answer because it might ruin your credibility. If you admit that you made a mistake, then you claim that you are not perfect. If you say that you have never made a mistake then you call yoruself a liar.

I made a mistake and corrected it. God didn't make the mistake.

1. profile image54

Yes, we all make mistakes. I admit mine, and have done so here, in fact.

So what?

You can remain in denial your whole life as I'm sure you will, but the fact of the matter is that if a god exists, he cannot die. Period.

You and every Christian were duped by your own false logic.

2. twuxedo profile image58
      twuxedoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jews, my friend Look after only Jews. Gentiles they treat badly. I have had enough of the way Jews are treated.
      Let them look at their History. I mean Palestine isn't theirs. Doesn't stop them wanting it.

3. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The nat'l guard that killed the student at Kent State were actually Hitler's storm troopers...ahhh...under jewish influence.

2. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

hmm, this seems to be informative, but I lack background information on the topic, can you make a hub on this topic, short and precise but with little background info, thanks.

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I think you missed the point anyway!

Jesus Himself said that no man takes His life from Him. He followed on, by stating that He had the power (and authority) to "lay it down, and rise again".
    That was His entire mission, to deal with the SIN problem.
    The Romans (and Jews) were just the means/vehicle, by which death was "administered".

We can blame whoever we want, but the reality is, that  each ONE OF US is guilty (or responsible) for His death. It was our SIN that neccessitated His appearing in the first place. cool

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How am I guilty of Christ's death? Seriously. I've never understood the guilt-by-association type logic.

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This not the place to explain it.
        I, (and many others) have a Hub to do that.
        Try searching "SIN" in Hubsearch, and read some of the Hubs that come up. big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are not.

This is the nonsensical "I have a personal relationship with god, but I get my instructions out of a badly mis-translated 2000-year-old book that I do not and can not understand, so please believe what I believe," argument that causes all the wars.

They do not understand this though.

Because they speak for GOD. lol lol lol

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello!Mark.
          The great deffender arrives on the scene just in the nick of time to stop another war.
          lol lol lol

2. Sara Tonyn profile image60

Whew. Okay then, that's that! big_smile

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
        LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not that you are guilty of Christ's death because your uncle Fred took part in the crucifixtion.

The idea is that because Jesus took on the sin of the whole world and died to destroy the power of that sin over mankind we(all of mankind) are responsible for His having to come and die....does that explain it ny better?

His death was a love choice.....trust me, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are not mad at you or anybody else....

1. goldenpath profile image67
          goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that! smile

The idea of dying to destroy the power of sin sounds great but wasn't it God who created sin? So why the need to manifest in human form to get rid of its power? Why wouldn't God just say, "Sin, you're outta here!" and *poof* no more sin?

And one other thing... Sin is still around, alive and well, so does that mean God couldn't destroy its power?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
            Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice...

Well Stated and true, another one of those we didn't think this out very well, good thing we created the catch 22 of 'Thou shall not question the Church'...(those Roman Senators were nothing if not smart)

There were pretty good with lion acts, too.

I mean, unless you were a Christian.

lol....that's just wrong...lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Totally understand why they were fed to the lions. big_smile

lol@Mark
                    and in response to your earlier statement of: "Oo Oo, I have done that and discoverd that it is all a fairy tale and does not make any sense."

God is a Paradox... that is why the God concept doesn't make sense. By it's nature, it's very definition, it is confusing. Which makes your statement true, The God concept doesn't make sense, and yet... it does.

4. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I don't get the guilt part either, since I was born a few years after he died.

2. profile image49
      The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's not how time works.

1. Valerie F profile image59
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, well, try telling that to an infinite being.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try proving an infinite being exists? Before you go claiming one does or did exist. smile

Just a thought. smile

1. profile image0

No one can prove that an infinite being exists except for that being Himself. He did that even before Jesus hung on the cross.

I recall seeing children putting their finger sin their ears to keep from hearing something a parent was telling them. They knew they were in trouble and did soemthing wrong. This is what I am reminded of in these threads.

Anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus don;t want to hear the truth. They simply want to do their own thing and they don't care what they say or who they say it to. They stand in the way of those who want to know Jesus.

Did you live at the time? How do you know? The Bible isn't a reputable source of information. And, you use it like it is a true story. You have be mystified by the one thing Jesus told you to stay away from.

I mean, come on, be serious. Why do YOU believe?

Nice comparison, but my mother is sitting in the other room and my father has already died.

So, please don't use a profoundness about parents, then compare them to your false "GOD", because one is real the other isn't.

You wouldn't know truth, if it bit you in the leg. There is NO truth in the words of the bible or religion.

There is a good reason for this.....it is called - CONSCIOUSNESS!

You might consider using your to understand your life. Life, has more meaning than you give it, because you claim a "GOD" created life on Earth, which is false and cannot be proven, by anyone, much less yourself.

1. profile image0

Who says the Bible isn't a reputable source? Everyone talks about proof and evidence. I have seen it stated many times since I came here yet not one has shown any proof that is beyiond a doubt.

If everyone was so sure of themselves and what they believe or don't believe, they would have no problem showing the evidence.

Either way, you still refuse the truth.

Again, I say prove it.

CONSCIOUSNESS is a new age term. It is used in stating that one will rise up to the same spiritual vibration as Jesus and actually becaome the Christ.

You still have not shown the evidence.

Look outside your deceptive words of religion and you might actually find yourself, nevermind "GOD" of all things. lol

1. profile image0

You call me deceptive when you have failed to even attempt to answer one of my questions to you. I used to walk the same path that you do. No good will come of it I assure you.

The reality of this is that no one can prove anything either way.
                  Science I guess will eventually break-through with the correct answer, then and only then can a theory of a Diety be proven or not.
                  We have learned so much, DNA was a remarkable breakthrough, in mapping the Blue Print for Life, that being said we still have much research to do, before we find out exactly what the answer is.
                  While I can understand the Atheists and  Agnostics, inability to accept any theory until given Proof.
                  I kind of wonder about the Religious beings that say they have Proof, when they really do not.
                  The writings were by human beings and we all know how wrong people can get things.
                  So personally I do believe there was such a Man a Jesus, there is proof of his existence, but photographs did not exist, and the stories are accounts by mere Mortals.
                  None of these people on here have the Proof to convince either side, hence the towing and throwing that goes on in these religious Panels.

Yep!  big_smile

But it'll never stop. lol

3. goldenpath profile image67

Everything stated above is true.  Both groups were responsible.  The Jewish heirarchy at the time were idol worshippers - primarily that of power.  They did not seek inspiration but they did make a habit of seeking signs in various combinations of numbers as many do today. 

Now, being a God Himself He needed to be the one to atone for the ills of the Earth including sin.  Why Him?  Because He was the chosen one over Lucifer in the existence prior to Earth.  Without Him and the sacrifice mankind would have no potential to obtain the presence of the Father again and to continue into progression which is the mission and the glory of the Father and the Son.

How do we share responsibility?  For the many of us who have taken upon ourselves the covenant to follow Him we are sharers of the graves He took upon Himself.  Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we are "purchased" by the Savior.  That is the price we also pay for the mere opportunity of the Father's presence once again.  Especially for us in the covenant with Him we further put Him to shame upon our own cross when we opt into sinful paths. 

In fact, He has said that if we will not repent we shall suffer even as He has.  That too is part of the price we pay for being purchased.  It is a wonderful service He put into action for us because He loves us.  However, that also puts us at an immense responsibility to maintain our personal integrity and virtue to follow Him.

It was a price that had to be paid - and He paid it, but the gift is definitely not free.

And you cannot see how ridiculous the idea of a "gift" that you must pay for is? lol

Here is a new iPhone - You owe me $400..........

1. goldenpath profile image67

For personal salvation and eternal progression - yes, it's completely fair.

2. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The 'gift' is eternal, the 'cost'is temporal and is actually only surrendering that which you think you own, in effect we give back what we thought to possess that was not ours to claim.

I had a pastor once who was baptising folk on the beach (which we still do today) and as he stood there watching the fun an old woman asked what they were doing, he explained that the folk were being baptised, she asked 'What does it cost' and he replied 'Everything you've got'.

'I though so? she said, and drifted off.

He was joking, she was confirming what she thought she knew.

Everyone is speaking of matters that cannot be understood by those who have never experienced them.

4. salt profile image59
    saltposted 14 years ago

I might not be the popular one in these forums, but I like to think of us all as belonging to tribes... that our beginnings have bonds beyond the roman invasions.

I think that is important to understand and will help build bridges beyond religion. As war and religion seem to have seperated and been used to subvert and conquer. Seeing our earlier beliefs and understanding where we came from might put our religious differences aside alittle, help us understand our common histories and let the church return to its role as a place for spiritual being.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

Sounds like a plan...but, the history of mankind begins with religion...so, there is no place to go to where we will not have differences in our serious beliefs....you might as well stop trying to remove religion or faith from the day to day realities of human existance....it just can't be done...might as well pick a side...

Choose ye this day life or death, blessings or curses..(if I had to choose, I would choose life) wink

5. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Haters will hate.

absolutely....but, those who love will continue to love cool

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I thought everyone knew that Jesus was an alien from outer space, and that he came here in a spacecraft - the 'star' followed by the three wise men.
    Christianity is based on ET acivity.

hey you read my hub....wink

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

He death was meaningless, devoid of any compassionate reason.

He was executed, for his defiance of religious/spiritual leaders of his time.

Him dying, had absolutely nothing to do with sin of the world of humanity. It had to do with greed of the Roman Leaders.

Again, if a "GOD" comes to Earth, YOU and EVERYONE else wouldn't know the difference, because you would listen to someone claiming to be "GOD" without proof.

He would tell you his living is proof enough, and you would tell him he is wrong and that you worship the only true "GOD" and his name is Jesus Christ.

And, at that point, I am of the understanding, your life would end shortly there after.

Just a thought? smile

WoW! You sound like a person who is true to his convictions and requires logical proof before you make a choice to believe anything....Now, don't get mad at me...I just want to know a few things, if that is alright with you...if not, that's O.K. too..
      Why are you so adamant that it isn' like the Bible says it is? Why can't it be true? Are you afraid that if it is true that you would have to change?

Just asking....big_smile

Well, since you like to ask questions, I'll indulge you.

Why are you so admant that it isn't like the Bible says it is? Answer: Because SCIENCE has already deemed religion fake, some 40 years ago.

Why can't it be true? Because science has already figured out how the Earth came to be and how life came from the Evolution of Earth.

Are you afraid that if it is true that you would have to change? I fear nothing, including death. Change is what I already did, from being a believer....to a non-believer....to a complete rejectionist of all mystical faith based religions.

Get mad at you? For what, asking questions for which I already have answers for. Now, that wouldn't make any sense. Would it?

Does that satisfy your curious nature? Or do you have more questions?

Just asking....?

Now, you already know that as long as I can read and write, I'll have a question or two...but, putting all banter aside, I do want to ask you a serious question, and that is, "What happened to you?".    You wrote,

" Change is what I already did, from being a
          believer....to a non-believer....to a complete
          rejectionist of   all mystical faith based religions.
          ."

My heart goes out when I read or hear about situations that have happened in peoples lives that have resulted in their turning from God... I will not try to convert you, I just want to know what the circumstances were.....please

Yeah - open your heart to this total stranger who has completely dismissed your lack of belief as "turning from god," and therefore wrong.

Gotta love the fake sympathy as well. Her "heart goes out" when  she hears someone has made a rational decision not to believe in the nonsensical fairy tale she subscribes to. She pities you even. big_smile

So Leslie:

What on earth happened to you that you need to pretend there is a magical life after death with jesus rather than accept the realities of life?

It must have been something pretty horrible to make you believe such utter nonsense.

You can share - you are among friends. wink

You are funnier than he is.... lol At least get your facts right before you bring our blade....I never said he was wrong, and,since the question was not posed to you, I wouldn't expect you to recognize or know the factual difference between compassion, sympathy, empathy or pity....so, let's not go there....

To oblige you and answer your question, as to what happened to me.... As you suggest, it was truly horrific, absolutely aweful........I found out that in all of my experiences,vast education, extensive travel, popularity and financial success somethng was missing from my life.

And, instead of getting angry and try to disprove, fight against and wonder about God, I was brave enough to simply ask in sincerity that He prove Himself to me.....

Ya gotta love it cool

So sorry you need to invent an invisible friend to fill the gap in your life. I pity you.

I wonder if you realize how condescending you come across as to others? I suspect not. People who need to fill the void in their life with imaginary invisible super beings tend to do that. At least you are not threatening me with burning at the stake unless I jump on your bandwagon, so things have moved forward a little. But  the next time you are condescending and dismissive of others who do not share your irrational beliefs - I will ridicule you - just like it says in the bibel. wink

Clever dudes wrote that book.

"Go around being a condescending a-hole, ridiculing people who do not share your beliefs - and they will make fun of you. Don't worry about them - they are satan's minions and will get what is coming to them."

Mark 1:10 lol

To invent and worship an "imaginary friend" is actually prohibited by Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

But otherwise, it's better to have the gap in your life filled with something imaginary that's better than anything the so-called "real world" has to offer.

(BTW, I believe a "real world" without God is imaginary.)

No - just imaginary friends that are not the same as their imaginary friend.

"No imaginary friends before me," or something. lol

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

You know, you just might be right...When you are adamant about an issue, and believe that you are absolutely right, you just might sound condescending....(we could get real technical about the tone of these posts, but that isn't necessary)

But, let me assure, If my posts sound condscending I apologize because that is he last thing I want to do.....l truly an interested in why people truly reject Jesus, that is all....

Now, don't get confused, I am as polarized about what I say as you are about what you say. I am fully convinced and persuaded that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that He carried the sin of the world because He loves every person, that He forgives us before we mess up, that He paid the price for my inherited transgression, that His shed blood created a covenant between anyone who receives Him as there personal Lord and Savior and God almighty, that there is no sin or offense, (no matter how vile), that He doesn't forgive and forget, and finally, invisible or not He sho' is real!!!  cool I'm telling you, you need to have the experience for yourself.....you will never be the same.....big_smile (Just like it says in the Bible big_smile

In sincerity, I don't mean to sound "better" than anyone, so, when I sound like that, if you keep reading my posts, please let me know....I'll listen

Oh and about your "threat" to ridicule me....lol  Oooooo, If I cared, I would be scared........but, I dont', so I'm not ......(now that is just a bit of ridicule for you)  In fact I'll see your threat and raise you two.lol

Love ya....

See - the "love ya" is the real reason why I originally rejected your ridiculous religion.

You ridicule me and tell me you love me. You also apologize for being condescending and go on to do it again.

Clearly you do not actually love me. I suspect it is this hypocrisy that persuades many people not to believe the same rubbish that you do.

Obviously - you do not actually believe it - nor do you follow the teachings of the person you claim to be emulating.

Ergo - it is wrong. Simple really. I was not threatening you - just telling you what your bibel tells you. Behave in this fashion and you will be ridiculed. And I will be one of the one's pointing the finger. What is "threatening" about that?

So - I guess the simple answer to why people choose not to believe the garbage you believe - is you. And that is the generic "you" which includes the billions of believers who do not follow the teachings - and just preach them.

I am not interested in your love thanks. It is too painful and I have experienced it from other people who claim to have a personal relationship with jesus and demonstrate the fact that they do not. If you genuinely loved me - you would never phrase a question in such absolute terms as to completely dismiss my opinion. That is the problem with your belief system. No room for compromise or tolerance, My way or the high way. There is no possibility that your belief system is wrong - merely that some people choose to "reject" it for selfish reasons and are therefore agents of the devil who will pay a terrible price when the time comes. lol Come Soon Lord Jesus! lol

Pretty obnoxious if you think about it rationally - and this is where all the animosity comes from.

You asked.

2. profile image54

Jesus is a myth. Simple really. Are you satisfied?

Then, as a son of a GOD, he couldn't die. You've been duped by a charlatan.

Unicorns and leprechauns are invisible, too.

You do and you won't.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

So because he obviously wasn't human, he was a God and not an ailen?

What If?  ......

2. Cagsil profile image70

He was a human male. Nothing more. smile

1. NewYorker profile image58
        NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who was?

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

He had to have been a pretty amazing man to have done the things he did, and to still be talked about 2000 years later.
    He was not a God, imo, nor the son of God.
    Amazing, none the less.

Would it be too difficult for you to accept, what was claimed to be seen, wasn't real accounts of his actions, but only images others had imagined to be so, so they wrote about them, instead of what happened?

That's okay, it was a shock to me too, when I studied religion, to only find out much of what during his time is misconstrued throughout all of religion, only because his followers would not follow religion.

Jesus' works was not added to religion or any part of any form of religion. He work was coded in the primitive language of his time, so he wouldn't be detected by the Romans. Thus, he would be able to practice his teachings and not be found out.

His execution came about, because he despised the religious leaders of his time, and they couldn't afford to let him continue teaching. Therefore, he was killed, as an example for those who go against religion. smile

Just a thought. smile

You know, I like you...you have studied the secular, historical and political aspects of the life and times of Christ...the only issue is that you are drawing from the information that others have written about Christ....what about what He says about Himself? Knowing that you are a seeker of truth, I challenge you to read the 4 Gospel writers accounts of the life of Christ....Read them with an open mind....you see, each one was written with an emphasis on a specfic group of people...Matthew was writen for the Jews, Mark was written for the Romans, Luke was written for the Gentiles and John is written for the person who doesn't believe....

You don't have to tell us what you discover...just do it for yourself smile

Oo Oo, I have done that and discoverd that it is all a fairy tale and does not make any sense.

I have also discovered that when believers use the term "open minded" what they really mean is "suspend disbelief." wink

What can we say about your "discoveries"......hmmmm.... Oh, I know....where is any proof outsde of yourself?

(And don't say Science.....because Science proves the facts of the Bible--did you know that?)

wink

1. profile image54

That would be a lie--did you know that?

That Science proves the facts of the Bible....give me a week, I'll get you the secular references.....or maybe I'll write a hub about it....Either way I'll have post some info in about a week.....

1. profile image54

Take a million years if you want. The bible is a book of myths and superstitions.

2. Valerie F profile image59

Actually, if he did the things he did and said the things he said, but was not God the Son incarnate, that would make him a pretty amazing liar or a nutcase.

10. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

It seems that many will make every excuse possible to not believe. Some say Jesus was an alien. Some say He was just a man who was killed for His own actions. Others say he never existed. Many things have been said about this one person.

Debates have gone on for ages about Him. Even just that one fact in itself shows that there is something more to Him than the mind of man can even imagine.

The Bible was written by many different people during different times. It was wirtten by Kings, Shepherds, Fisherman etc. . . It cannot be understood by those who do not even believe God is real.

Now I ask those of you who do not believe. What is the real reason you do not believe?

My reason would be backed by research. smile

1. profile image0

How can your research be trusted? Did you interview Jesus? Did you ascend to heaven and interview God Himself?

My opinion is that you used the writings of a man named Gerald Massey for much of your research. Of course, that is only my opinion.

1. profile image54

DID YOU?!

Pfft. Research is only as good as its sources.

Back to topic. Here's the Christian take on who is responsible for Christ's crucifixion. Note that the Bible never said that the "crowd" which clamored for crucifixion was made up entirely of Jews. It also says that Christ died for the sins of everyone in the world, past, present, and future. So it is un-Christian to assign blame to anyone other than one's own self.

1. profile image54

Like the Bible, for example? wink

What utter nonsense.

The reason it is talked about is the incessant bleating of people such as yourself. Fortunately - we no longer have to put up with your nonsense.

You have no proof - none. So - more to the point - Why do you believe when there is absolutely zero evidence. None.

Not only that - but it doesn't even make sense unless you already decide to believe even though it makes no sense.

For myself - I do not believe because -

1. It makes no sense
      2. There is absolutely no evidence for and  lots of evidence against
      3. People like you

You do not understand. I have never seen one ounce of understanding from you. A blind belief in the un-understandable that you cannot even explain and are forced to say "if you believed you would understand," LOLOL - sure. Great. wink

1. profile image0

What I believe is worse that you believing in a deck of cards?

I don't "believe," in a deck of cards. LOLOLO

Tarot cards - like any tool such as the bible - allow a look within. LOL Only religionists such as yourself think it applies outside of you.

But - well done - nice distraction. Jesus was god after all then. LOLOLOLOLOLO

2. profile image0

I see more threads started here by non believers than I do believers. So the incessant bleating comes mostly from those. It is true you don't have to read or reply but yet you do for some unknown reason.

You say there is no proof, but there is lots of proof. You like to turn a blind eye to it but it is there.

Does everything have to make sense in order to be real?

It is undertsandable, but only if you are willing to understand. I go back to the child with fingers in it's ears.

LOLOLOL

Please do not call me a child and you are the parent with the answer. LOLOLOLO

And LOL - no proof. Sorry "Oh - a tree - proof!" does not cut it.
          And yes - there are non believers who see your religion as evil and disgusting and want to put a stop to it.

You could shut us up as little as 100 years ago. No more Dent.

I will not shut up - sorry - just because I despise it and want it stopped does not mean I believe. And your message is pure hatred. Calling it "love" will not change that. wink

1. profile image0

I am glad to see you admit to starting threads just to cause trouble between believers ans atheists.

No Dent. I admit to no such thing. But - I see you are a genuine christian after all. The trouble starts the moment you start telling me you have an answer and I am being childish by ignoring the truth you have - when you then behave like this. (see above) Lololololol

1. profile image0

I don't recall saying that I have the answers. You admitted to starting threads just to cause trouble. Your quote: I will not shut up - sorry - just because I despise it and want it stopped does not mean I believe. And your message is pure hatred. Calling it "love" will not change that. wink

LOLOLOL

How does "I will not shut up - sorry - just because I despise it and want it stopped does not mean I believe." mean I "admitted to starting threads just to cause trouble"? LOLOLOLOLO

Oh yes - you are using "scripture to interpret scripture." to make it mean what you want. Just like you do with the good bok. How very christian of you. wink

1. profile image0

Nice way of twisting things around. You are very good at it. You mentors must be proud.

Silly me, I forgot you are your own man. You have no mentors.

Knowles....you sound a little confused on that last post....maybe you should pray...

3. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the real reason I don't believe is that I can't believe in anything that's not Real to me.
      I can't see God. I don't believe.
      I see myself. I believe.
      My believe is ME.
      And no. I don't believe some kind of God, made me.
      I don't see any reason to believe Life has been created by a God.

1. profile image0

At least you did give me an answer. That shows integrity in my book. smile

2. pigfish profile image60
        pigfishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can't see the wind...and yet it's real

Love ya Pigfish....simple and to the point

To bad the point didn't matter, because it was false to begin with. smile

Now, now,...don't get jealous, I was talking to Pigfish...

Actually, if you look close enough, you can see the wind. smile

4. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus Christ was a New Concept in the evolution of human Awareness.Weather he existed as a person is not the point.
      The evolutionary step forward(which was left with the Gnostic's)had to do with the components and integration of the human Psyche(Soul translates into Psyche in ancient Greek)from which "Believing"will actually manifest materially.
      "It was the simplicity of what he taught that made them stumble".
      Again and again the lesson was just BELIEVE and it would happen.
      "IT" was left up to the individual!
      The root word of "Holy" is Whole witch requires all components of experience.

Who did God say was a man after his own heart?
      DAVID and that boy screwed up more than any one!
      But he was great at NOT making the same mistake again(Repentance).
      If you really want to understand the lessons advanced through the concept or symbol called Christ you should study the representative language used at the time.
      Sorry I rambled on...

11. Valerie F profile image59
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

You know, the thread was started to address anti-Semitic misreadings of Scripture- NOT whether or not God exists, and not as a forum for Mark Knowles to once again spout off his own brand of hatred.

LOL

No - just pointing out why your ridiculous religion causes so much hatred. Starting with the anti semitism caused by the jews demanding the death of jesus.

Oh - that's right - you do not understand why your book was written. wink

You must be a christian..........

Again, the Bible never said it was just Jews demanding the death of Jesus, but holds us all accountable. Anything else is a misinterpretation.

And you're one to complain about spreading hatred, since you excel at doing just that yourself. Hypocrite.

No - I am honest about hating your religion. You are the one pretending it is "love."

Feel free to look up the meaning of the word "hypocrite".........

1. profile image0

So then you are on a crusade to destroy Christianity? You do not have the power to do it.

Hatred of any religion is just as bad as hating a race, a gender, even a sexual orientation.

If you decry everyone else's hatred and prejudice, but think your hatred is perfectly fine, you are a hypocrite.

1. profile image54

Nonsense, there is huge distinction between ideologies and people, or didn't you know that?

You just don't get it, do you? You're ideology is filled with hatred and prejudice, amongst other vile and despicable ideals. The rest of us are simply fed up with it being shoved down our throats and how its destroying mankind.

Understand now?

Q...if you are that "fed up" why are you in this forum and why are swallowing enough of our ideology to choke a horse ....and, then you get mad at us because you ate it?

The one thing that un-believers don't understand is that they can NEVER deter a believer.....NEVER.......that's why most of us who are confident in what we believe can continue in conversation with you.....we really love you and will answer any question that you ask.....

Now, if you answer this post, please don't call me any ugly names big_smile

According to Christianity, the Church is the people. You hate the Church, you hate a group of people.

Wow - you really are desperate to be like jesus.

A martyr. wink

No. I just don't fall for any mealymouth, hollow platitudes like "I don't hate the people- I just hate their beliefs (or fill in the blank with whatever makes these people different from you)."

2. profile image54

I thought you had more sense than that, obviously not. Ideologies are not people, no matter how much you believe it.

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
                    h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what are you saying Q...that you hate christian ideas or the christians/people?

Ideologies are a defining factor for some people. They are what make Christians Christian and what make atheists atheist.

Kowles, why are you calling folks names? You must be infuriated.....All people want is for you to be able to open your heart to the possibility that God's Word is true.....what if....????

12. Kristi Jo Fleming profile image60
    Kristi Jo Flemingposted 14 years ago

You should really do your homework b4 u try to disclaim God.... The Bible is historically accurate and many scientists actually have proven most of it true already. Many of these scientists were not Christian b4 they found out what they know now.  If you really believe that this world just came together through the big bang or that you grew from slime on a rock or evolved from a monkey... i love that i get to be the one to tell you that it takes more FAITH to believe that.  By the way where can I send you flowers on your most sacred day?? I really would love to send you flowers.  Of course you know that your day is April FOOLS day.  And another thing I dont have to  posts dumb posts to try and PROVE God exists... I already know He does.  But you are so nervous about being proven WRONG that you felt compelled to write your comment.  Its funny how the devil gets so argumentative when believers in Jesus are in the midst.  Well never the less I will pray for you that God shows you that he is real.  I hope you dont burst into flames as I commit the rest of my day holding you up in prayer to the one and ONLY TRUE LIVING GOD ALMIGHTY MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH.  PRAISE BE TO GOD MY ROCK AND MY SALVATION AND YOUR CREATOR.  btw I heard today that someone told a friend of mine that they believed in God but that He doesn't do miracles anymore.  For you and that person... things dont happen because you wouldn't believe it anyway if it did.  God bless you.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are we in danger of bursting in flames ?? yikes

So what are you doing here ?

Run!!!
      lol

You might not burst into flame...but you might slowly roast over an open fire...either way, it's not good tongue

13. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

lol

lol

1. profile image0

Pro 1:26  I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

When FEAR cometh?

What am I suppose to fear?

Imaginary things cannot hurt real things, unless real things give in to the imaginary items/images.

Nice try tho. smile

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

define what is an imaginary thing and what is a real thing.

An imaginary is an image/picture in your head.

Real is real.

'Tis the only sensible response. lol

14. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

I'm late to the party so forgive me if this has already been discussed 1000 times.

When you non-believers ask for proof, are you insisting that it is tangible?

If so, do you believe thoughts exist? Where is the tangible proof?

Again, if this has been asked and answered before, please just gently slap me up side the head and I'll stop.

15. Cagsil profile image70

Unfortunately, everything you just said, isn't proven to any extent, to justify belief in an imaginary being.

As for the beginning of the world? That doesn't start with religion, and never has. smile

Well, let us clarify our terms...religion is actually not the right word...the word should be woship

From the beginning of the world, mankind has worshipped something or someone...you know it and so does everyone else...
      wink

16. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Poor atheists, just rebels without a cause. We still love you.smile

1. twuxedo profile image58

I think that this is the type of arrogant, comment that I havecome to expect from the so called Christians, "give me a Break"

17. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Pro 26:4  Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Pro 26:4  Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

18. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

I'm curious here.I keep reading Sin is the problem but wonder what it is defined as.Does sin change in context with the period in which the writer lives?Are sins the same from society to society?What effect do sins have and upon what?
    The Christian Gnostic's of the first century believed the Spirit was sent to earth to nurture a seed entrusted to them by God,they called the seed there souls.They considered anything that distracted them from maturing the seed a sin.The Gnostic's taught that sin was unavoidable in the physical world because it was necessary for the maintenance of the body,IE,thinking about eating,shelter,social order,etc.All were considered as being detractors from the task of the spirit which should be focused on growing the soul.So what is sin in today's world?

1. aguasilver profile image70

Hi Cheaptrick,

Sin by definition is 'missing the target' and is used in archery, in a biblical sense it is similar to the Gnostic concept, in that sin is anything that separates you from God, but obviously there are specific 'sins' that you would find in the bible.

When someone says they do not sin, they are lying, which is a sin in itself.

All have sinned. Period, punto!

If we sin enough, we get a hardened and 'seared' consciousness and fail to recognise sin as sin.

Nice avatar! wink

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicely put! Great job!big_smile

1. profile image54

Thanks, I knew you'd like it.

Cheaptrick,

Just wanted to add that everyone was born into sin, some call it the original sin. Adam and Eve are the parents of all of mankind (color, race, etc...doesn't matter), their disobedience to the command of God thrust them and every person ever to be born into the world into a "state of sin"....Sin is passed on almost like a birth mark....It is from this sin that all other sin or resultant sin proceeds.....So, the issue is not the resultant sin, it is the primary sin.  If we can clean up the primary sin from the individuals heart,than the individual will have the strength to deal with and resist the secondary sin......Jesus Christ, the only sinless man has eradicated the primary sin. The world is changed one person at a time.

Believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that He died for you ad that He was raised from the dead coupled with asking Jesus Christ to come into your heart and to become your Lord and Savior is what eradicates the primary sin.wink

1. cheaptrick profile image73

What is Original Sin?Why did Adam Realize he was naked"After" eating from the tree?Is it possible that the story of the "Garden"was allegorical representing the birth of Self awareness in humans and Adam was the first person to experience this?Remember,God created humans on the sixth day..

The original Sin is the first act of disobedience to God....Adam realized that he had messed up a good thing....

I don't think that you can logically or by faith see the story as an allegory because there is not enough information ..

You surely confuse me....You deny the facts of the Bible, but then you turn around and declare that God created humans on the sixth day....What is your real question?

I mean no disrespect.
            I just don't understand why Eating from the tree was a bad thing.
            It seems knowledge of good and evil would help Adam avoid evil.
            I am not denying the Bible,but I must be absolutely sure before I can in honesty commit to anything,especially something as important as this.

The Bottom line is that Jesus Christ, the creator of the universe loves you...If you were the only person on the earth, Jesus would have come and died to pay the price for your redemption....

See, Adam and Eve had dominion over all of the earth, but they were the second creation.....Prior to their creation, we had angels and other creatures who worshipped God. Satan (whose name was Lucifer before he messd up), was in charge of bringing worship from the earth to God in Heaven.

At that time the earth had other creatures, not man...(perhaps this is where the dinosaurs were), other types of beings were here...it doesn't matter what type of beings they were, but they had a praise for God....the book of Isaiah tells us that Satan got proud and lifted up and said that he would replace God and sit in his seat....that he would be like the  most high God, 

Then there was war in Heaven and Satan got kicked out and the world was covered in water....this is Genesis 1:1-2, It says, "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth, but the earth was without  form and void.....The common understanding is that God cannot create something that is void and dark, so the question becomes, what happened between, "In the beginning God created".....and "..the earth was without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep"

The supposition is that  between these two events, Satan was kicked out of Heaven and landed on the earth thrusting it into darkness and emptiness.

In Genesis 1:3  we find God putting things back in order. It is during this time when God created man....The scriptures tell us that man was given the dominion that Satan had before he was kicked out of Heaven....He hates us because we gained from God what he lost....

This the reason that he tempted Eve....the kind of tree was not the issue it  was the covenant that the devil was after....if  he could get man to sin or disobey then he would cause man to loose fellowship with God, to loose our position. Man's fall would effectively limit God's ability to freely operate in the earth. Man's breech of contract turned the earth back over to Satan...Adam gave his autority to the devil. 

God wasn't mad at man, but the stipulations of the covenant caused man to become seperated from God....hence the need for a savior....who could qualify to be a savior? Well, all of mankind originated from Adam and Eve and they were messed up, so there there was no man who could recoup the loss.

Jesus, stood up and said that He would make the sacrifice; and He did. he came in human flesh, was 100%man and 100% God. Because he was born without the benefit of human male sperm, he was born sinless...the only reason that He needed to be born and didn't just jump into the world is because God had to keep the terms ot he contract that He had written ....In order to be able to legally operate in the earth Jesus had to enter the world like every other human had to enter into the world...this made Him a legal sacrifice and able to operate in the earth according to the covenant.

Jesus isn't a punk nor was He a sadist...He took the punishment that we should have taken so that we wouldn't have to take it....we couldn't have made it.....The punishment is separation from the Father God....all of the other stuff, the beatings, the mockery, the death and pain wasn't the punishment.....that stuff is what is out there because of the devil.....Jesus had to suffer it so that He could kill it's power over us....The real punishment is the seperation from God.....

Jesus created a new contract or covenant  because he defeated death, hell and the grave and rose from the dead....He tells us that His gift is eternal life, not damnation, He tells us that we are already damned because of Adam's sin and He came, He had to come to set us free....not bind us up.....

All that He requires is that we believe that He is the Son of God, that He came to earth to save mankind, that He voluntarily died to redeem us and that He rose from the dead.....If we believe this and ask Him to come into our heart...to be our personal Lord and Savior, we will be saved....

It is a free gift and the most vile person on earth can receive it.....God has forgiven us of all sin, past, present and futur.  He did it through the shed blood of Jesue Chirst......it really is simple, but we try and make it hard....all you have to do is ask....Jesus loves you and is waiting for you to invite Him into your heart........

I am glad that you asked me that question.....I pray that the love of God touch your heart  smile

Assuming the story is literal, eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil was an extremely dumb move. They already knew that obedience to God = good things keep happening to them, and breaking that one ridiculously easy rule set for them meant bad things would happen. Logically, they probably would have been able to figure out what good and evil were without eating any ill-gotten fruit.

It wasn't the honest desire for knowledge that was sinful, but lust for power and a failure to trust in their Creator that was their undoing.

absolutely.... vanity and lust for power will get ya' everytime....

Thank you Ladies for giving me so much food for thought.
                  I will try to absorb and find the conviction of weather what you say feels true to me.
                  At the very least you have opened my mind.
                  Dean.

19. profile image0
    Marliza Gunterposted 14 years ago

...wait until you see with your eyes..Jesus and God and Holy Spirit...the most powerful Spirits for a far stretch of millions and millions of ion light years...then it's too late...then all this empty jabbering will seem so foolish...only when it's too late...do most of them jabbers result to SILENCE....

LOL

That's the spirit - ridicule anyone who does not believe in jeebus. Well done. big_smile

2. profile image54

Wait until you stand in front of Allah and have to explain to him why you believed in lies. You'll know then the results of silence.

At least you believe that we all will stand before someone....

How do you figure that? roll

Because he just said so.....

20. Cagsil profile image70

Eradicate Christianity? roll

I could not care LESS for christianity or christ or christians for that fact.

You are a human being made from human parents. Plain and simple truth. smile

Naw...you care, because you hate it so much....venom just flows from you when you talk about it.......I tell you, "Cagsil, I challenge you to read the 4 gospels with an open mind...actually, you don't have to change anything about your feellings or thoughts...just read them through and tell us what happens when you get through......smile

Sorry, you're challenge is useless. Been there done that many years ago.

Why don't YOU try living what you preach? Put the doctrines to work...and I mean, just the FIRST 3 Doctrines and see how far you get.

Been there, done that. The realization you'll come to is that religion and everything that goes with it is FAKE or a HOAX if you like.

So, believe when I say, it's all juse a ruse for control.

Either way, you enjoy. smile

Wow, someone else told me that they were disenchanted with their past experiences in the Word....It's not like I don't understand but the issues that I had were with the people and their crazy ways....not with the Word....

I found that I needed to make a decision to believe what God said personally other than what man wanted me to believe....It took years before I could get free enough in my spirit to not be offended by folks......It ain't easy...but with the help of the living God, it is possible.......smile

Oh, I do try and live my doctrine, but I don't always succeed.....I know that I am not perfect, but my Savior is.....

LOL

So - you keep asking why people are not interested in subscribing to you ridiculous belief system. And when they tell you - you tell them their reasons are invalid and try and get them to read your book.

Open minded? LOLOLOLOL So very, very funny how little you "know yourself." lol

Mark  my freind, how are you?

I love you....

21. Sara Tonyn profile image60

Any believers up for new questions?

If so, why did God sacrifice his son?

Briefly, it was to make up for the sins of the world and to show how much He loved people, right?

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was his destiny , many masters have been tortured and killed , abuse is very common.
      Every human is the son or daughter of god and not only Jesus, he himself couldn't be more direct when he said "I tell ye you are all gods and the kingdom of god is within."
      This is also Hindu philosophy . god is within every human.

All master do take on the karmic consequences of people but he didn't take up the sins for all of humanity, if he did we couldn't be seeing so much crime.

I don't uunderstand your type of religion.
      I don't get How killing someone saves people.
      I don't get How you say I know. Yet I don't ! Why is that?
      Are you that much smarter than me, I don't believe so.
      I think people of your kind are very arrogant, entitled to their opinions granted, but still very arrogant.
      Why not admit, you know, no more than any of us. To disagree just makes a liar out of you.

Sara,

To answer your question as a Believer....God sacrificed his son to pay for the sin of the world and to bring us back to Him....and above all to demonstrate His love for humanity.

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought.

But I don't understand why God chose that particular method to show his love for us. Again, it's cruel! Why not just give us all a big hug and a new car to show his love? That would have done it for me. smile

Besides, Jesus' death was not the worst or most painful death ever (not that it was fun) so how much of a sacrifice was it really?

How about the people who were drawn and quartered or burned alive for their religious beliefs? Or slowly starved to death? Or beaten and abused daily for years and years?

Plus, Jesus knew there was life after death so he had no fear. So really, how tough was it for him to suffer for a few hours? (That sounds bad but I don't know how else to phrase it.)

And I sure don't understand how sacrificing his son "paid" for the sins of the world. God's "paying" himself with his son (who is God too) and that makes up for our sins?

It kinda sounds like a bad movie plot...

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Sara, just to keep things short, but ever been crucified lately? Even if I knew I would come out of that all right in the end, I'm sorry. I'm still going to very strongly dread having the skin flogged off my back, the humiliation, the uphill trek carrying a crossbeam, the nails being driven through my wrists and ankles, and the three hours hanging naked and bleeding by those nails. Jesus Himself did no less.

As for how death pays for sins- Christian teaching is that death is the ultimate consequence of sin.

Then if our sins have been paid for why are we still dying?

BTW, I acknowledged Jesus' death was no picnic. But mere mortals have suffered worse and what did they get out of it? Nothin' but dead.

Sara, nobody gets "nothin' but dead." Christianity teaches that depending on the choices we make in this life, we either go on to eternal happiness, or the spiritual death that results from permanent estrangement from God.

You completely missed the point. 

And if this was directed at me, say so straight up: "You don't know squat about my religion, so don't tell me what it teaches."

Despite what you may think, I'm asking questions because world religions interest me. I question things that don't make sense to me; things that other people accept without bothering, or daring, to question.

2. getitrite profile image70
                getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Valerie

You have no proof of your assertion, yet you are giving it as an answer to this important question, asked by Sara.  Do you see what you are doing?   How can you say that "nobody gets nothin' but dead."  You are completely unqualified to assert that.  I think at the end of life, we ARE nothing but dead, and the evidence support that.  Where is yours?

Hi Getitrite,

I know of a group of people who believe that when you die  "you are nothing but dead". but they only believe if for some of them . The also believe that a certain number of them will rise and be with God.....I would feel real insecure dealing with them 'cause i might not be is the special few......scarey.....

I want to be in the "going-up" group...smile

And, you won't be. smile

Sara,

Your point is understood....but Jesus was not a mere mortal.....He was 100% man and 100% God. This is what qualified Him to take our place...

He was a man, but He was sinless, we are not. There two deaths, spiritual death and physical.....

You can't do anything about physical death (burial insurance is good to have) but, Jesus made it possible to do something about spiritual death.  We are born into spiritual death and it takes a relatonship with Jesus Christ to give us spiritual life.......wink

I think you have your messages crossed. smile

What do you mean ?.....is my post in the wrong place....smile
                  Sometimes these things don't quite line up like I want them to

We can discuss it here or on the other thread, your choice. I can handle both threads, should you decide to stay here.

I do have another conversation going on in the other thread, but that's not a problem. It would be probably better if you and I stayed here to discuss it, so the other thread doesn't move to fast, where the conversation could get lost. smile

Jesus was a human being and NOTHING more.

Everyone is sinless. Sin is a religion term.

Of course not, death is the end of life.

No it doesn't. By the way, Jesus' last name wasn't Christ. smile

Hmm. Is it Tonyn? lol

Hmmm...? Was he related? lol lol lol

3. aguasilver profile image70

The reason that Christ had to be sacrificed is simple, Christ was sinless, 100% totally innocent of all sin, so death had no hold on Him.

We on the other hand are full of sin, some more than others, but all sin is sin enough to warrant death, because death is the penalty and wages of sin.

To understand more needs faith, which I see little of from non believers (obviously)because faith is trust in things not seen and yet to happen.

Believers have faith, so they see the outworking of faith in their lives.

Non Believers obviously cannot see the outworking of faith in their lives, though they can obviously see the outworking of sin in their lives.

"In the garden there were two trees, that of good and evil, and the tree of life.

We were warned not to eat from the tree of good and evil, we ignored that command and in doing so we were separated from the tree of life.

God sent Christ to allow us a route back to Him and the tree of life.

Why would you still eat from the tree of good and evil?

Each tree has a root that will feed the fruit that the tree produces, and we are what we eat, so where we eat from is important and will be displayed in our lives.

The tree of good and evil has a root in PRIDE and produces selfish acts, it declares "I AM LORD" and it's fruits are well known and evident everywhere we look:

Selfishness,Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5 18:21)

The tree of life has a root in humility and unselfishness, it declares 'JESUS IS LORD' and it's fruits are to be desired and worked for, they will feed you well:

Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Who would wish to reject these and eat from the bitter tree of knowledge?"

From a hub I wrote yesterday.

Excellent response Aguasilver... cool

4. getitrite profile image70
          getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sara, you are correct.  It is a badly written fiction.  That's all the bible really is.  I think JK Rowling can write much better plots.

As you choose to believe so be it...... smile

Get a New Living Translation, it makes for easy reading....smile

Translation of what exactly?

I certainly hope you're not translating Jesus' work. Because, there is a high probability you're wrong in it's translation, like about 90% of the rest of world. smile

Translation of the Bible.......

It is true that the further away from the original language the more challenging it is to maintain the integrity of the original message.....

So, since I can't read Greek or Hebrew, I stand by the King James version....each of those words can be found in the lexicons which give us a pretty accurate understanding of the intent..

But when someone has difficulty with the King James, the New Living can help.  Especially when it comes to some of the more technical accounts, ie, Chronicles which is a recout of the Israeli census. smile

But, I want your understanding to be correct, I don't want to go research it, I've done that for over 20+ years already and learned it's wrong. ALL of it. smile

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

Hi Sara, I

I want to respond point by point . You said, "But I don't understand why God chose that particular method to show his love for us. Again, it's cruel! Why not just give us all a big hug and a new car to show his love? That would have done it for me.   

That’s kinda funny, but listen, the cruelty that He experienced was an expression of the cruelty and hate that exists outside of God’s presence.

You said, "Besides, Jesus' death was not the worst or most painful death ever (not that it was fun) so how much of a sacrifice was it really?"

Giving up your life for someone else is a sacrifice, no matter how you die. Would a more violent death prove any greater a sacrifice? I don't thik so and either way, I wouldn’t do it.

You said, "How about the people who were drawn and quartered or burned alive for their religious beliefs? Or slowly starved to death? Or beaten and abused daily for years and years? "

Again, dead is dead  and none of them rose from the dead....it is the combination of Jesus death and resurrection that saved us....the reality is that dying wasn't the hard part because all men die....it was the getting up on Sunday morning that sealed the deal.

You said, "Plus, Jesus knew there was life after death so he had no fear. So really, how tough was it for him to suffer for a few hours? (That sounds bad but I don't know how else to phrase it.)

But, that is the point. He could be the sacrifice becasue  of His faith. He knew He would rise from the dead.

You said, "And I sure don't understand how sacrificing his son "paid" for the sins of the world. God's "paying" himself with his son (who is God too) and that makes up for our sins? "

Yes. Jesus (God Himself) was the only sinless one – and the only one who could pay the price. Remember the sin that we are talking about is not smoking, murder theft and the like.  The sin is separation from God. That separation is equal to death because God is life. The place reserved for those separated from God is Hell…….but the kicker is that Hell was not made for mankind; Hell was created for the devil and his angels.

When Adam sinned, he doomed all of mankind to eternal separation from God…hence Hell became our destiny….so, since that wasn’t the original plan of God, He had to have an alternative and that alternative was for Jesus (God Himself)  to take the place of man and go through the destiny of man.   

Once Jesus took the full punishment that man was supposed to take, He (Jesus) could squarely say that the punishment or the price had been paid and now any person who receives me (Jesus) as having paid the price for them can escape Hell and be reunited with God….no more separation. 

You said, "Is soundls like a reallly bad movie plot."

That depends on what genre of film you like.....  smile
          If you haven't already seen it, you should see Mel Gibson's movie, "the Passion" - you can take a Bible and follow along with how it depicts Jesus' treatment.

22. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

requires hijacking immediately.  Commence topic change.

23. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You called? lol

Aliens have just landed in Brissie, one looks just like Spok!

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very jealous.. we have no aliens landing in Melbourne. Queensland gets all the good stuff! lol

Afirst for Brissie, and all these Believers don't believe in Aliens, so they are probably thinking, pretty much what I am thinking about them.
          Show me a Photo.

24. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Nope test doesn't have to be in lab. Just show the whole world that you experienced any angel or something, can you ? You can't as it can't get out of head to get approval of rest of the world, this requires delusion of similar person in order to get the agreement of that thought and this is where simple test fails let that lab test alone.

Skyfire,

If you ever encounter Jesus in a real way, you won't need any external proof.   smile  smile

I don't think you even know. smile No to sound offensive, but it appears as if you don't know Jesus at all. From the sounds of it.

It seems like your brainwashed by religion.

Discuss it with me? We'll see how deep your understanding goes. smile

25. Cagsil profile image70

Anyone with a religious view?

Have an interesting read for you. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/34520

26. Cagsil profile image70

What translation would you like to use first?

You seem to be so bent on discussing the topic. Come on?

Remember, religion was around long be Jesus was even in existence. That should get your mind running in circle.

Also, remember, religion add Jesus' work to itself, after his execution.

I love the King James, although I have several other translations.....

A good way to study is to lay them all out and compare them.

Oh, anyone interested can go to blueletterbible.com and access many versions and guides; commentaries, audio, and video. I love that site.big_smile

Good, now discuss with me, what exactly you think you know about Jesus' teachings?

It's important you don't take away the wrong meaning of his words. smile

Thanks for the link. It looks like a great site! big_smile

27. Sara Tonyn profile image60

LeslieAdrienne --

Thank you for taking the time to explain things point by point. big_smile

I can't say I agree with you on everything but some things you said are definitely worth thinking about.

Oh, and thanks for being so polite. It's appreciated. smile

Some of us, just are not that way. Truth is truth, blunt or soft, it usually hurts. smile

Oh, I'm used to you; you don't offend me at all. You're just a big softy when it comes right down to it! lol

Yes, Sara Tonyn, I love you too. You're included in humanity. lol lol

Sara;

You are welcome and thank you too....smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)