Renewing of the mind : New Age or Not?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

As I have engaged and read quietly in these forums, it appears there is much 'chatter' of the human mind (brain/soul). As posted many times, the mind once had all knowledge and slowly depleted into a massive jumble of thoughts -consciousness- which believers are still slaves to.

I believe renewing is just that: a regeneration of how we think.
    Meaning: the mind is the gateway between the heart (spirit) and the bone/marrow (body) which is supposed to manifest all things new, of a godly nature, that image we once were.

New Age theology / practitioners / philosophy aka The Secret claim this is just attracting 'good' things. Bringing your thoughts under control to make you wealthy, happy, healthy. That everything is in your mind.

Do you believe that you can and should be renewed in your mind?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The better you know how to play mind games, the better you'll be prepared for life.
      Everything is a game. If you don't know how to play, you're doomed.
      So have fun, and play !
      Use your mind ! Or it will get rusted.
      big_smile

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i can't see that happening anytime soon.
        the brain is ever going, oiled by the need-to-know for some, the desire to go beyond its limitation, to others.

a rusty mind is one that won't go either direction. Its gears stuck and making lots of rumbling noises. big_smile

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image59
      TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello TOD. I do believe that the mind has to be renewed. If for no other reason that the scripture in ROMANS 12:2 say so. To renew the mind, simply put is to change your way of thinking. I may have to renew my mind concerning my view on money or health or relationships. I like what you said about a rusty mind, so true!

3. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"You have your Spirit and you have your Soul,Between the two is your Mind,There lies the Treasure"!(Jesus Christ from the Gospel of Mary Magdalene)
      the mind is the Key to eternity,its growth and maintenance is determined by Free Will and of Paramount Importance.The focus of the mind determines our ability to Create!With it we build our reality and manifest materialy what collective reality will be.The world is as it is because most people are not aware of the Importance of Mind Focus independent of physical circumstance.
      We are What We Think.

this my short reply LOL

2. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Absolutely. We are our minds/Souls inside of a body. Without the mind we would be oblivious to life. The chatter has to be controlled but it takes hard work.
    We need certain tools to help direct us to have focus.

1. profile image0

Hello Deborah,

being brave: what would those tools be and what of the spirit part?

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you read my hubs on the Kabbalah

1. profile image0

I shall.

Kabbalah script reminds me much of Chakra/Hindi system (which i think actually Hindi/Yogi, Eastern Philosophies stem from Kabbalah).

I thoroughly believe the human mind/soul/brain is that connection between 'invisible/unseen' and 'visible/seen' -which is body & spirit. Soulic method is consciousness/thought -which, to me, puts man into a state of enslavement.

By regenerating the thought process to that of its origin, we could supersede thinking and fully live in our spiritual nature, even while in bodily form.

This, to me is the resurrected Y`shua.

1. profile image0

The enslavement is through the EGO.

1. profile image0

exactly. what I call "The Need to Know".

If you believe in the Adamic Incident, that which Adam was clothed in was the fullness of Spirit. Same fullness we are given under the New Covenant. Now, that fullness, was beyond consciousness or purposed thought/ideology. Adam knew everything he need to, he was eternal. Same eternal we have rights to. So, by mankind accepting the fullness of the Spirit, the NTK is complete and man no longer has to 'struggle/wrestle' with thoughts. He will no longer be a slave to that limitation aka 'conscious'. I believe if man no longer looks upon his thoughts as the source of his ability/consciousness/the Need To Know, he will no longer be subject to it. Hence, once again being
              :abundantly
              :eternal

{ i know that is choppy, my apologies }

2. profile image0

I agree about 98%

3. profile image55
    (Q)posted 14 years ago

You two make a perfect couple.

1. profile image0

So do you think the mind and body are one and the same?
      Is the mind not really the person?

4. kess profile image62
    kessposted 14 years ago

The mind is the invisible reality which takes thought of everything including nothing.

The material world and the body which house the mind is that nothing  which is made to appear as something. 
    All nothing in reality is death.

If the mind therefore is consumed with the thought of nothing appearing as this material existence, it will therefore also become that nothing,
    meaning it will surely die.

Association with the material world will cause negative thinking including the fear of death which consumes the mind.

But if the same mind is consumed with the invisible realities, then it will ascend unto the Throne of eternal life, the reality of being all things.

If via Mind were to make a complete disassociation from the material world while still in the flesh, then that one will not ever see death,   

And He would also find that it also has the freedom to  meaningfully affect this material world .

But as long as the mind  through even a single thought is linked to the material world flesh world, it takes the physical death of the body for the mind to completely disassociate and ascend to eternal life.

1. TheLoanConsultant profile image59

Very well said. I absolutely agree.

5. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Coming here and interacting with the diverse intellect has been a renewal for me.

6. profile image0

Deborah, first, my thanks on the dialogue.
    Secondly, impressive information on Kabbalah.
    The depth of it is very well constructed, explained.
    Definitely enjoyed reading the first two parts and look forward to reading the rest.

7. profile image0

Hello TLC,

and thank you.

i agree in part about the Romans 12:2.
    but beyond that, Paul is referring to a total consciousness makeover. Our 'thinking' regarding planes, trains and automobiles, money, power, etc is -well- hogwash. All of those 'things' are truly just expressions of human consciousness (what I call the Need To Know). Evident even here, this machine.

i also believe it can happen quite literally in 'the blink of an eye' should any one person nurture that seed of faith given to them, instead of using it as a pillow to sleep on.

{ sorry I am rambling, too many espresso today! }

ps, please call me James.

Lol! I'm with you on the caffeine, it makes me want to talk and type! I believe in the blink of an eye concept as well. My experience has been a mixture of a blink of an eye removal concerning certain personality flaws but for other personality flaws I had to labor, pray and fast to get rid of them. I think God for the instant removal of some of my character defects and I also think God for not removing some of them instantly because it forced me to go deeper into the things of the spirit to find a solution or method whereby I may be rid of these mental encumbrances. And believe me when I say encubrances for they were truly agravating. LOL! God Bless, call me Eric.

8. profile image0

Eric, it is time for all believers to step outside the Need To Know : sin consciousness and be led into all Truth by the Spirit.

So long as man holds on to his 'thinking' he will never be free of sin. Indeed, serious mind-renewal is necessary.

Absolutely. I attempted to share this concept with some believers and some of them just cannot fathom the idea of being free from carnal or sin conscicousness. Scripture clearly states that we are to move on towards "perfection" in Hebrews chapter 6:1 so it's beyond me why some believers frown on this concept. Keep on ascending friend.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anyone would think you have not heard of the Catholic church and their long history of child abuse.

Fortunately - I am sin free, so have moved one step nearer to perfection myself. wink

Eventually you will realise that you must also discard some other dearly held un-necessary  beliefs that are holding you back.

I see you haven't taken my advise and brushed up on your logic. Last time I told you this was to help you to present better arguments. I believe that was about 6 months ago, didn't you learn anything from our last discussion? Your implied premise is a common fallacy which is termed "guilt by association".  This fallacy attempts to persuade others in holding a position or rejecting a position because the claim in question is held by another group of people or persons of poor character or quality. Whichever group holds a postion however virtuous or nefarious they may be holds no bearing at all whatsoever on the truth or falsity of a claim.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry  Sweetie pie. I was explaining something that you were having trouble understanding.

This is one of the reasons. Choosing to ignore 2,000 years of history by arguing that this is "guilt by association," is not really helping you understand anything is it?

Myself - I prefer to learn from the past. I know that is an alien concept to some one such as your self, because that would mean looking at genuine  Christianity. You know - the one which you are forced to say "Oh - they were not real Christians."

You can pull out Mother Teresa if you like. How many MT's will it take to wipe out Saint Dominic?

I mean - if I claimed to be a Nazi or a Satanist, I suspect you would have some notions of what that involved without me doing anything, and you would not be waiting to see if I was different to other Nazis or Satanists. But - this does not apply to your religion - only every other group that has existed.

You guys are special and demand respect. You also demand that we ignore the past.

And what I said was perfectly on topic to your statement. But love the condescending suggestion that I take your advice on "logic," LOL .

So - now you understand why lots of believers do not jump on board the lack of carnal knowledge bandwagon - because  the effects of doing so are pretty bloody obvious. wink

I will open up a forum for you Mark entitled, "To Rant". That way you can bring up however many topics you like however irrelevant they may be.

2. profile image55
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

For someone who is adamant about using logic and pointing out fallacies, you certainly have accomplished neither here.

Here are just a few blatant fallacies you've managed to demonstrate with this one post:

Appeal to Consequences of a Belief
        Appeal to Emotions
        Appeal to Fear

Which statements have a made thus far here on this forum that you are refuting exactly? And please be specific. I'll be waiting

And since you want to try to be a smarty pants; For someone who's adamant about expressing their views, you sure seem to be a little shy. Don't you think? Or are you only bold in cyberspace? How about a picture or perhaps a name? Or a hub maybe? Give us fellow hubbers something!

1. profile image55

It's funny how the weak minded pretenders prefer a name or picture as a requirement or priority over the content of posts. It could possibly be a reading comprehension issue in which the peep is unable to synthesize beyond a label. Curious...

After all that blab about nothing there is one thing however you mentioned that I'm quite fond of. "It's funny how the weak minded pretenders prefer a name or picture as a requirement or priority over the content of posts." Basically what I gather from this statement is that in these discussions you prefer to give priority to the content of the posts. Beautiful! Well then perhaps you can explain your past 2 statements to me of which the first came way out of left field with an unwarranted conlclusion and second where you still failed to reply to me rebuttal to the first. And I'M STILL WAITING.......

1. profile image55

Your post was a bundle of fallacies and it was pointed out to you, hence there is no value in the content worth discussing.

Very well. Then from now on perhaps you'll stay out of my threads entirely. Have a great evening. : )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)