Is there an afterlife?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 50 discussions (221 posts)
  1. The Learner profile image59
    The Learnerposted 14 years ago

This is a question for all you atheists or anti-theists.  What do you believe about death; is there anything after it?  Do you believe in any kind of eternal soul that lives beyond bodily death?  Reincarnation?  Or is death just the end?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure yet. Some days I think there's nothing like another life. More like changing energy. Some days I think I am a soul or sort of, and I will keep my mind after death.

It depends on the weather . big_smile

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Strangely and coincidentally, death just happens to be the term to describe the end of life. And, that is exactly what we observe when we observe the dead. If there were something transitional about life to another world, then we wouldn't use the term death.

3. profile image0
      suraj78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the good question for every human being. According to me every person is bundle of body and soul not the soul like that which we can see. The soul which is so small that can't be seen. When any person die means soul level the body. It can be understood with an example like when our home get old we leave it an go to the new one. We can say it as rebirth but soul couldn't remind it's past life.

4. bojanglesk8 profile image60
      bojanglesk8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

When we die our energy goes back to the earth and we are transformed into a different entity.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't think death is the end. i think we are reborn to have another go at it...but i don't think we stay behind and haunt houses or anything.

6. Tadeusz598 profile image77
      Tadeusz598posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's no evidence for an afterlife.

As for re-incarnation...what a load of bunk.

7. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Learner:
      May I ask you a question regarding an "afterlife?"
      I've asked it of theists and all I have ever gotten is opinion based soley upon what they read in the "holy" scriptures.

Q. Why would we "conscious" creatures deserve/qualify for/or rate an "life-after-life to any greater degree than say a Florida fruit fly?" Does "it" also have an opportunity for a life after life?
      Why do we "human animals" consider our lives to be of greater value, than any other earthly life?

Hmmm?

By-the-way, I'm not an atheist or a theist.

1. profile image50
        tamekahallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have every attempted to really read and gain some clarity you would know that death was brought to us by disobedience, we where not created to die . Gen.2:17, Rom5:12,17,19  You can't  compare us to a mere bug we are His greatest creations. Has anyone tried to um... read for themselves about anything. We unlike any other creation have a soul and it does'nt float around, haunt people or come back as someone else. And I think it's sad that common since ain't common. People dumb themselves down these days. Does anyone read anymore, or just rely on somebody to tell them. Bottomline - we will find out who was wrong and then what? Cliche -"OH! GOD HELP ME." Sorry to late!!!!!

8. marcel285 profile image65
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't fear death, because of a near death experience. (Drowning), i know that there is something after. When i was drowning, i was being sucked down into a whirlpool in a river. I was fighting to get to the surface, but i gave up, because something came over me and i accepted death, and realized that it was not the end. I was only 16 at the time, so by no means ready for death..But it was like secrets of life were revealed to me, everything made sense, and i knew that death didn't mean DEAD forever. Now i don't fear death at all. I believe in a spirit realm and reincarnation.

9. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no afterlife.

Once we die, who we are is gone. There is no 'soul' or 'spirit' - there is the brain and that's it. The 'soul' and 'spirit' arguments are very old-fashioned ways of explaining what modern man understands as the human consciousness.

10. topgunjager profile image60
      topgunjagerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it doesn't matter what anyone believes, it just can't be proven, trying to find the answer for this is a waste of time=)

11. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Game Over means game over,No respawn here.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

You're dead, it's over with. There is no proof of life after death, including Jesus. So, that leaves us poor pathetic little human species, to figure out things in the present, instead of putting them off for the future.

Too much SH!T continues to be baked into half-dim-witted, hair brain ideologies, so people can be controlled by others.

There are simply too many hair-brained ideas about what's after death, when people should be concentrating more on living their damn life in the first place.

The Learnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do YOU think?  "hair-brained ideas" and "half-dim-witted...idealogies" are of no concern to this forum.  What do you believe and why?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Enlightened progressives don't need a God they worship themselves.

The Learnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't get the connection between your comment and my previous response.

1. profile image0

You're debating people who don't believe in religion. They think we pray to sky-faries. They have only a concept of self thats why it's all about personal gratification and religion encites their conscious and they don't like it. I wasn't commenting on your post more your assumption of a rational conversation with an atheist.

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know, this is the most horrific statement I've heard come out your mouth since I first met you.

However, it's YOU who are self-absorbed. Yet, you don't see it. lol lol lol lol

Your poor attempt to demean those who don't follow the supposed "GOD" of religion, is just that, an attempt.

You are the one(religious folk) who assumes garbage. smile

1. profile image0

Cag you, me and religion will never mix. I've heard your arguments and they don't wash and you know it because as I've said before I still haven't heard of any atheist relief organizations. That alone sets believers apart because they put their money where their mouth is. Not one atheist on the Hubs can walk the talk so they put others down so they can try and keep up.smile

You've heard my argument? Not likely enough for you to stick around for an argument of mine. So, don't lie about it. You'd be lucky if you could even grasp my concept of life, versus the garbage you peddle for religion. big_smile

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
              Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This isn't true. Sneako lashes out sometimes when his understanding fails him.

1. profile image0

You've never seen me lash out. What isn't true? Lets see atheists believe in religion.....hmmmmm....not so much. They think we're stooges led around by the nose hoping there's a God.(you have to agree with that) If by chance there is a God, and there is, and you knew you would be judged would you still violate the Ten Commandments?(I hope you'd be smarter than that.) The insults and hate we have to contend with don't show us any hope you will repent but thats your choice. Now whats not true?smile

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
                  Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sneako I see you throwing out more than your share of the "insults and hate".

What I objected to is your statement that atheists have regard only for the "self", chasing after instant gratification, and that we spurn religion because thoughts of a god bother our consciences.

And since that is the second time I've seen you mis-spelling it I have to point out to you that the word is conscience, not conscious. It was pretty funny the first time, too, cause it was in a post where you accused atheists of having trouble spelling certain words. 

Anyway.. If I believed in your religion would I still violate the ten commandments? Well, basing this on what I've seen from christians, yes! Wait a minute, are you saying (again) that christians aren't smarter than that? Shoot, Sneako, I know that you yourself violate #9 all the time.

Hey Sneako, why don't you clam up, while you're already behind. You claim to have knowledge or know "GOD", but in the end, you cannot even tell that Christianity and Atheism are BOTH a religion. DUH!

What part do you not understand? If you need someone to explain it to you, I'm sure Mark Knowles would love to explain it, so you can understand it. I promise, I'll even ask him to use small words for you, so you can grasp what he talks about.

Of course atheists are going to think you're a stooge. You believe in something not real. What else do you think that they are going to think of you? I certainly don't think they are going to call you a genius. roll

Before we dabble in your intellect, let's talk about the so-called intellect you used in the above statement? Hmmmm.....? I guess you were saving yourself for the next sentence. Oh, okay.

See, now I would have given you credit for being smarter than that, by implying that she isn't smart already? Hmmm......? lol lol It just goes to show yourself
                  None of what you said is true. There is no god and your individual belief only holds true for yourself. Hence, by you spreading your individual belief here in this forum, you are essentially tell everyone your take about life. Thus, showing your limited capability for understanding it.

So, I hope you have a great day. Thank you for showing how useless your religion is, was and forever will be. smile

Oh, btw- just a reminder, have a great day. smile

Hey Sneako, when I want your opinion to speak for me....I'll let you know. But, until then....pipe down.

I told you. You're dead. Why? Because, life is over. roll Why else? Duh. lol

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel some real emotion in that post.

Let it out sister.

You must be brain-dead. I'm not female, and never implied I was. Therefore, being your sister is a little difficult. Besides, whether or not there is emotion in my statement or not, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

The words don't change. When you're dead, you are done. smile

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry brother.

1. profile image0

I thought you were female for quite awhile. You set me straight about it though so now I understand that is how a metro-sexual talks and acts.smile

3. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree.

4. peptalk profile image60
      peptalkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear Hear!

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Yes.

4. peptalk profile image60
    peptalkposted 14 years ago

I know one self described atheist, basically he says that he is exactly what the term implies... a-theistic, or doesn't believe in a deity.  He's never mentioned what might happen to him once he dies.

5. Niteriter profile image60
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

Hey, Cagsil! Have you been practicing your harp for when we get to the Pearly Gates?

You keep dreaming of your pearly gates. lol

1. Niteriter profile image60
        Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You haven't been practicing, have you? The flames await you my non-plucking friend.

Practicing? You're joking right. And, should you be correct, which I'm already 100% positive you're not, but IF you are correct, then the flames will be welcomed, because it wouldn't be any different than living life now. lol lol lol

1. peptalk profile image60

But hell is cold!  I would much rather be a little warm than freezing!

6. Niteriter profile image60

Any agnostics allowed in here?

1. profile image0

Fire away!big_smile

I have faith that I'm going to die. That's all I know so far.

1. Foititis profile image59
          Foititisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I wouldn't call it faith considering all the evidence that suggests we will each die one day.

As for "that's all I know so far"... I think is the best attitude to have in regards to this question.

Does the thought of an afterlife have any positive impact on how we live our current lives? For me I can say that it does not... so I go on living without concerning myself of the unknowable.

The only practical example of a purpose to "afterlife" discussion is to use hell as a scare tactic into changing peoples behavior. I think any change this might yield is conditional and breeds further judgement and conflict, outweighing any benefits of the changes it might produce.

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

we are discussing if there is an afterlife, I don't believe so but to confuse matters I believe our souls continue into other things.  Bottom line, while we are still alive we'll never know anyways. smile

When I die I want to go wherever you're going.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kisses
        Hi Nite
        Haven't seen you in a bit
        So we ll hook up in our whatever afterlife
        sounds like a good plan to me xo
        tongue

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure that when the brain shuts down, so do the sky fairy fantasies. When the sub-conscious part of the brain starts to run out of oxygen you "see the light" Been there, glad I came back. Nothing to see, move along! smile

1. profile image0

You have the answer!
      You Win!
      Our hero!
      and funny as hell
      big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile thank you kimberly! smile

9. Niteriter profile image60

Just so you know, Kimberly, earnest drools. Ask CW.

1. profile image0

lol lol lol lol lol

2. earnestshub profile image80

But only a lot! lol lol

10. profile image0

Tic Tac anyone?

They last to the afterlife, apparently. geez. tongue

I'm trying to get Cagsil to learn to play the harp. It'd go nice with my gospel songs.

Your gospel songs? Oh please. roll

1. profile image0

lol

2. Hokey profile image59
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gospel Songs? Pearly Gates?  roll

11. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

we dont know really,

12. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I think that there is a afterlife but not necessarily that life form will be like the earth life form.No afterlife means no accountability of our actions- believing in afterlife is a kind of inspiration or hope that someway we will not be lost as long as our soul leaves our body.

What do you mean there is no accountability? You are accountable to yourself and what's honest or true. You do a horrific disservice when you don't hold yourself accountable for your actions.

However, accountability is also governed by laws and statues, that were designed to punish those who break morality rules. When you hurt someone, you are accountable to yourself, that person and those who govern.

1. andromida profile image56
        andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are right.I meant no accountability of our actions to any one including yourself.Who is that anyone- perhaps God.Everyone is not perfect like you that is why still there are lots of injustice in this world-why they do not feel the accountability of their actions-they are clouded by the greed of power and money.Yet, there are many good people and if you think deep you will find the reason being accountable of actions lies in the fear of afterlife punishment.

1. Hokey profile image59

You think he is perfect?  Are you in love??? smile how cute....

At times Hokey, you can be a laugh a minute, but this wasn't even funny. hmm

You should be honest enough to hold yourself accountable. It's insanity that someone has to do this for you. smile

Can you prove this so-called "GOD" even exists. If not, then oh well, must be your imagination working overtime.

Okay, first off, I don't claim to be PERFECT, as you've now claim that I have. There is injustice in the world, because a few control the millions/billions of people, while those millions/billions don't realize it.

Do yourself a favor? Don't come at me with your petty ramblings of a supposed "GOD" figure, you expect for some odd reason, to be your judge. What you cannot do it yourself? You cannot control your own actions and hold yourself accountable. Then, I would say there is something wrong with you.

If you are a rational individual, then obviously you wouldn't fear life or death, because you would have a better understanding of life and death.

As for my ability to discern truth about my life, has allowed me to pass by the fear of death and not worry about a fantasy form of judgment, for which, might or might not, happen AFTER I'm already dead.

Before you ramble on, I suggest you gain a better grasp of reality and understand life. Otherwise, what's the purpose of living, if you don't understand your life. It isn't to just live, that's for sure. smile

Either way, be honest - hold yourself accountable and learn more. smile

you asked me"Can you prove this so-called "GOD" even exists. If not, then oh well, must be your imagination working overtime."

My answer is can you prove that god does not exist. Neither you nor me can prove anything about the existence of god.

secondly you said, "Okay, first off, I don't claim to be PERFECT, as you've now claim that I have.",
            smile, so please think if you are making any mistake.

Thirdly you said, "I suggest you gain a better grasp of reality and understand life. Otherwise, what's the purpose of living, if you don't understand your life. It isn't to just live, that's for sure."

I would say that you are the greatest philosopher of this planet who got the complete understanding of life.Why are you worried so much about my understanding of life?

Finally I would say I like your concern I won't give you any advice like the way you gave me because I am not here to show any hatred, we all are here only for a few days, so lets live like real friends.Thank you.

1. profile image54

You claim no one can prove or disprove the existence of your god, yet you believe in him as if he was standing next to you. Do you not see the obvious fallacy here?

Well said.thank you.Have I said that I believe in Him or do not believe in Him?Its not a fallacy, its a puzzle for us all which we never gonna solve out.No one has the power either to prove or to disprove the existence of god.In the name of god we have lost many people-so its better to let all the people to let him believe whatever they want. My point is the debate about the existence of god will not take anyone in anywhere-the is no practical application of this question. The greatest scientist Albert Einstein had even doubt about the existence of god.I am nothing or no one to make any judgment abt. god's existence.I just express my thoughts that is there is no point to argue abt god's existence -the answer directly go into the black hole,from where there is no come back.

1. profile image54

There's no puzzle in realizing the religions of today are built on the myths and superstitions of yesterday.

Yes, that's helpful. Let's lose more people in the name of gods.

There is no practical application of religion or gods. No point.

Of course, Einstein wasn't an idiot. He realized the same myths and superstitions that many others have also.

Then, why would there be any point in believing in a gods existence?

3. profile image54

And, that's what most important, whether or not you can be honest with yourself.

If a god, then there is no accountability as there is no evidence for gods. Hence, you can pretend there is accountability from the invisible and undetectable, but that just gives you a license to do whatever you want with no accountability whatsoever.

1. getitrite profile image70
            getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXomn9lUlLU

2. peptalk profile image60

We, well those of us who don't happen to be sociopaths, all have an internal moral compass.

The afterlife, rewards in some possible heaven, whatever, shouldn't be the guiding force behind our actions.  We shouldn't be led by the nose by our fears of punishment!

1. profile image0

Tell us how you think God should handle it, be careful!

Nope!

If the Christian mythology is taken at face value, then we are suppose to deal with it, we were given the knowledge of right and wrong and told to go out and deal with it.

That being said, unless a person is a complete bottom dweller (feel free to substitute your favorite expletive), they are going to feel pretty crappy when they screw up when they break a basic moral law.... like don't beat the crap out of your girlfriend every night..... don't puke in your buddy's car.

If a person can't seem to follow the rules that their society has deemed necessary, and those rules are reasonably fair, then his fellow citizens need to deal with it.

A god need not be involved.

2. profile image50
          tamekahallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At birth we were condemned we never had a chance if it was'nt for the One who gave you that life anyway. Sometime I resent the fact we have free will, but that's is the very thing that makes us human. Not even the angels in all their glory given that gift. It is a miracle everyday we live. He gave us the one thing no flora, fauna or creature of the deep will ever have and that's the chance of everlasting life. The question of His Sovereignty t(that means His right to rule over mankind) was brought up so it has to be answered. Look at it like this we are in the presence of great power on earth and i'm talking about the devil. Of course he's. He had the whole Heavens to rome and now he's stuck like a genie in a bottle,baby.

Someone will be wrong so you better choose a side and run with it.

1. profile image54

Well, when you're dead and there is nothing left but the little wormies, no afterlife, no gods or angels, etc., it will then be too late to realize you've wasted your life following empty promises.

13. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I don't know. I don't believe in dieties, but I am agnostic towards afterlife or the conscious prevailing in some sort of energy.

I know we are conscious and living, like trees are unaware nor have a brain, working mechanically but are alive...so what about conscious yet physically not alive?

I'm not going to affirm it, but I believe existence, life and death are far more complex than I could ever understand, afterlife or not. As humans we strive to know EVERYTHING instinctually, and if not we either make doctrine and religion to 'answer' it or we totally reject the concept to 'solve' it...either way, they are based on no solid proof.

I do it too. But, for existence after death, I'm going to leave it up in the air and just live when I know I can.

14. double_frick profile image61
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

reincarnation.
    we simultaneously occupy heaven and hell on this 3d planet. smile

15. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Don't you believe HubPages will make you immortal ?
    Your work will survive you.
    Your children, friends.
    You live in them.
    And in the creatures that'll chew your substance...
    A good concrete example of reincarnation.
    hehehe

16. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

so much hate in this forum. I'm a Christian I'm not religious. There is a difference. I believe in God. So shoot me. How do all you who hate us and call us stooges KNOW He doesn't exist. Do you have proof. I mean actual proof. If not then how can you be so hateful.

I know that the Term "Christian" over the years has been used in a very broad sense and has been used to stuff "religion" down peoples throat but that is'nt what a true Christian is or does and it's so frustrating to be lumped together.

It also saddens me that the so called christians on here have been just as nasty to those who don't believe. That's so wrong. God gave us His Word. period. He gave us ALL free will to do with it as we wish. I chose to believe. Period. It doesn't make me a stooge or an idiot. You chose not too. Period. lets stop with the name calling. I know everybody has a right to say what they want but it is not a license to be cruel to ANYBODY no matter what you believe.

1. profile image54

Notice that you contradicted yourself? Period. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not tyrying to have a go here, but wanted to clarify a little.

You identify yourself as a "christian," but wish to distance yourself from the "other sort of Christians."

If I told you I was a Nazi - but a different sort of Nazi to the Nazis that burned the Jews - what would you think?

Plus - I assume that - as a christian - you get your instructions as to how to live from the bible. Have you read it? Because I genuinely think you are reading it wrong if you are not going out there evangelizing and telling people how it is. That is what it tells you to do.

As far as I can tell - genuine christians should give all their possessions to the poor and go about doing good works, and I do not see many Christians doing that. I have met one - once.

This makes it hard for us non-Christians to tell the good Christians from the bad ones.

Not hating or trying to be offensive - just telling it from my perspective.

I mean - what do you think it means to be a christian?

1. profile image0

Well there you go then! God has spoken! Now all you atheist and liberals get in line to get your talking points but lets not get confused by any facts, ok?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

So - like a good Kristian - you are not interested in a reasonable discussion then?

1. profile image0

Define reasonable.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

It appears you wouldn't understand. wink

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Not worth a response either? Except for Sneaky attacking me?

Odd. every time I try and explain reasonably why the christian religion is religion non grata - I get no response - presumably in the hope that what I said will be buried in an avalanche of crap.

Why is that?

1. Green Lotus profile image60
          Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll give you a vote of confidence. smile

3. peptalk profile image60

Mark... It depends on what parts of the bible you choose to read too!  It's a really big book!  Many Christians are still stuck in Leviticus.

or have been stuck on a few of John's words for their whole life! lol

Better John than Paul!!!!

Now that is so true! Paul was a right bastard wasn't he?

My God!  Oops sorry!  Was he ever.... "if you must have sex.... get married.... women should be watched at all times...... blah, blah, blah, blah....  I think he had a few hangups, yeah?

He was a narrow minded sexist, like a lot of the other authors. smile

I think his work is pretty much where Christianity went all to hell.

3. profile image0

You need to do alittle more research. The attacks on our beliefs far exceed anything that the our advisaries have faced. This gross exageration is a typical view of the non-religious. They can say anything or imply anything but if we counter then we're the haters. This is beyond lop-sided it's rediculous. Not a surprise though because thats how liberals work. They feel everything they say is ok but if you call them on their behavior they cry foul! And the world just keeps turning!

17. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

Although I'm still struggling with my own vision of what life after death is like, I'm amused and intrigued at what Deepak Chopra has to say in his book "Life After Death". One of the things he proposes is the theory that there's no afterlife (as we envision it) simply because we're not really living (as we envision it) in the first place.

1. Hokey profile image59

I LOVE THAT BOOK!!!!   smile smile smile smile smile smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read the book, but have listened to his youtube videos on the series. he has a lot to say about organized religion also.
      enlightening to listen to.
      when I was with my mom at the time of her passing, it didn't seem like she 'died', she passed on... at that moment, my view of death changed.

It's a great read with rich food for thought. I've had a hub in progress for months now reviewing the book, but I'm hesitant to publish it. I don't like feeding myself to the wolves if you know what I mean.

1. Hokey profile image59

I have your back. It is a shame when people have to be dogmatic and close minded to feel comfortable.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, I do know what you mean. but you know, many people don't really know anything other than what they have been taught or exposed to. there is an audience for this kind of reading I believe. I would love to read it, your hubs are always well written and informative. big_smile

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the encouragement smile smile

Publish it!  Most people just throw criticism out there to stir things up, don't let it get to you.  If you believe in what you are saying then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

18. profile image0

Hi Green

Did they say afterwife?  get another one I suppose. lol

LOL  LOL

19. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Debate on an afterlife is inconsequential. Nobody knows and that is what I accept. I don't need to know what happens later to be happy now. So is there an afterlife? Hmmmm.......
    Don't Know.

You are very wise Hokey. I like the way you think smile

1. Hokey profile image59

Thank you very much. I shall now join you in friendship. Namaste

But Hokey... as a Buddhist, don't you live in each moment?  In that case, there is an afterlife.... at this moment you are a reader and in the next you will be something else.  That is something like an afterlife anyway.

1. Hokey profile image59

OK. Here you go.

Anatta is the notion that individuals do not possess eternal souls. Instead of eternal souls, individuals consist of a "bundle" of habits, memories, sensations, desires, and so forth, which together delude one into thinking that he or she consists of a stable, lasting self. Despite its transitory nature, this false self hangs together as a unit, and even reincarnates in body after body. Following death, according to Tibetan Buddhism, the spirit of the departed goes through a process lasting forty-nine days that is divided into three stages called "bardos." At the conclusion of the bardo, the person either enters nirvana or returns to Earth for rebirth.

..or remains as energy. Worms need to be fed too ya know! smile

Okay Hokey, but do you not still live in each moment with the idea that you are only what you are doing in that moment?

1. Hokey profile image59

Yes. To live in the moment, with full appreciation of the moment & all that it offers is called mindfulness. Mindfulness is a state of being fully present with yourself. This may sound strange, how can you not be with yourself ? Our thoughts and connections with events that do not belong to the present have the powerful ability to remove you from reality. Living in the moment allows you to achieve more, you are able to focus fully on what is required of you in this moment whether it is the simple task of walking or a more complex task. Living in the moment allows you to move forward purposefully when you need to because you are no-longer held back by the past or living in fear of the future.

Just live, just be............................ ..........

Hokey.... that's been what I have been doing for the last year.  I don't want to look into the future or the past.

It's driving everyone around me nuts though!  I just walk around in my own head.

1. Hokey profile image59

Peaceful huh?   big_smile

numb

20. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

i believe that information can neither be created nor destroyed.  we are unfolding into an eternity of wonder and death is just a trick of the senses.

1. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Information can't be lost",An expression from the science of Physics.
      None of the constituents of a human being can be lost as that would violate the laws of Physics.
      A more accurate question is
      Dose the nonphysical aspect of humans retain cohesion or is there a dispersal of that information back into the Universe?
      For non Physics people the question is
      Do you remain you after death or do you disincorporate and cease to be self aware?

21. profile image0

Now my atheist friends I've never called you liars and I have been called a liar many times. So lets review the facts, I know their messy but lets give it a try. The largest contributors to the religion forumn are hateful Christians such as myself, right?

1. Earnesthubs-atheist
    2. Cagsil-atheist
    3. Tantrum-Liberal, possibly an athesist
    4. Mohitmisa- first religionist/Islam
    5. Q- Atheist
    6. Mark Knowles-atheist/advisary?
    7. Jerami- Christian
    8. Twenty one days-Christian
    9. Sir Dent-Christian
    10. Marinealways-atheist

I'm not even on the list! Six out of ten are atheists and their only in the religious forumn to spread goodwill and cheer. Before you call anyone a liar consider this list. For a group of people who don't believe in God, the atheists sure have alot to say......Hmmmmmm......and cry foul about, have a nice day!big_smile

1. Hokey profile image59

You forgot me. Buddhist.  big_smile

1. profile image0

You're currently not on the list.smile

1. Hokey profile image59

OK  big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

Me an atheist? what gave you that idea! smile

1. profile image0
        hamstersmessiahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes i know for a fact earnie believes in the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

1. Hokey profile image59

What? Earnest, I thought you worshopped THE Horney One!!!???

What can I say? I'm fickle! lol
            I believe Tantrum is god now, she has the scary threats down to a fine art. Must be the real messiah! Or maybe she just scares me the most cos of the tatts! smile

2. profile image0

Hey! You're #1! Good job!big_smile

22. profile image0

When I have time I'm going to take this list of truth and honor to the next level. So get ready to break-out such lovely sentiments as I'm a liar.smile

23. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Wow, such offtopic immaturity arising on here...let's get back to the OPINION of afterlife.
    Religion or lack of it, really brings out the worst in some people who I usually have no qualms with, oy.

Whatever we believe anyway, won't change the possibility or lack of an afterlife.

24. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

i believe i'll buy you all a drink after this earth shindig is all over with and we'll all have a good laugh about it!

25. hollywoodjames profile image60
    hollywoodjamesposted 14 years ago

After seeing evidence gathered on the various paranormal investigation shows, like "Ghost Hunters" and "Ghost Adventures" I was once skeptical about anything after death, but have since reconsidered that idea.  I don't think there is a heaven or hell, but I do think our energy carries on once our bodies no longer function.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If so which I believe is possible, into what or to where does the energy go is the important question. I don't want my energy to come back as one of Michael Vick's pitbulls before he was arrested.

1. Hokey profile image59

I guess that depends on your Kharma.

26. earnestshub profile image80

This reminded me of an episode of "The young ones" where the hippy goes through the life cycle while planting seeds! lol
    The energy is converted as you know, matter just changes form, mind processes are nuclear/electric dependant. So lots of nice nourishment for "mother" earth, and our little nuclear power station stops producing electricity and the hard drive drops it's load. lol

Hmmm, do I have to guess what kind of seeds? lol

I am not sure, but I think it was vegetables, not weed, which would be too obvious, and the young ones was too well written to be obvious. smile

And hes back! Yea!

27. peptalk profile image60

Speaking of the afterlife....

yes, we were talking about that at some point!

My dog is a very good dog, well both of them are good dogs but one is better than the other, and sometimes the other is better than the one... but they are good dogs.

Where to their souls go when they die?

Maybe they switch with their owners. I feel sorry for owner that treated them bad. lol

my pups deserve to go to heaven!  If we, obnoxious humans, have souls.... then everything does too!

I think you should write your congressman. lol

I don't have enough money to bribe my congressman!

lol

you are screwed. I think they go to heaven anyways, they made a movie about it. lol

And movies are always right!  Thanks for helping, I was getting worried.

Not a problem. Glad I could save the faith with the movie reference. big_smile

big_smile

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most Christians believe that everything that was good about this creation will be retained in the next one.

So yes, that means there will be dogs in Heaven. smile

1. profile image54

Woof.

28. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

i hope theres more life not a after a continuation

29. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

im no athiest tho

30. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

heaven has condo fees its not living its renting

Sounds like a government. lol

31. peptalk profile image60

Not me, aware, once I'm gone I wanna be gone or moved on to something better than this!

1. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well which is it gone or better?

Just say no to condo fees!

32. peptalk profile image60

do I have to go to work?  How will I pay the rent?

If afterlife is work, I would rather retire. There is enough work in life. lol

33. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

if heaven aint alot like dixie . i dont wana go

I think it's more like disneyland

... or Dizzyland, or even Dipseyland. lol

possibly all three

I love a good trinity! lol

we could always add a 4th

34. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

heaven can wait . me im hopeing to be a butterfly

I want to be the butterfly!

A short life, but boy, talk about beautiful! lol

You can be a butterfly too!

35. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

proof is in the pudding. you want darkness and a end  . then my friend i hope you get it . but there is no proof of that either.   with me  you wont get a proof of purchase . and that's because i   cant be bought off by  current caveman truths .  i don't need or want to be right. and certainly don't plan on claiming  fools gold .

Good Answer!

36. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

thats not just a answer . its poetry .   welcome to this venue pep . your already cool in my book.

Your sweet aware!  Thanks for the fan mail..... but now you've found me!
      good stuff yours too

I like the paperboy

37. profile image0

Well friends it's time for a reconing! I went through this entire thread and added up all the not-so-nice comments posted and guess what? Atheists won the insult battle!(no surprise) I reviewed the comments and read the context of that particular conversation to determine if it was a true insult. Here are the results:
    1.Cagsil-15
    2.Earnestshub-8
    3.peptalk-6
    4.sneako-4
    5.mark-3
    6.Tie-pandora and Q-2
    7.Hokey-1

Now heres the hard part, Lets add them up:

The no Gods-37

There is a God-4

This would sugest you're almost 10 times more likely to recieve an insult from an atheist! Now this only one religious thread but I'll bet it's pretty close to the average. Truth, what do you know about truth?smile

but I'm not an atheist... I'm just a skinny little bully!

Boohooboohoo.... don't pick on me!

1. profile image0

Seven.

You are a meanie! 

You need to go pick on someone your own size!

38. profile image0

Eight.

nine

39. profile image0

Facts always ruin a good story and the response is exactly as I expected. This is the reason I'm not serious about my posts so when you want substance from me adress the subject and the other Hubbers with respect. But if you can't it's ok, I don't mind snipeing.smile

You are very funny!  You could grow on me yet.

1. profile image0

I think you're great and I do enjoy your observations!big_smile

big_smile

Sneaker has his good times alright!
            Between 2pm and 2.05 pm every ninth Wednesday is set aside to be nice to the non-believers no matter what we pile on him! lol

1. profile image0

I knew there was a reason why I still dreamed about you at night!big_smile

lol lol lol Time.... such an odd thing... You do realise sneak, that We are ahead of you all the time over , er down here! smile
                Was I right with the time? If I left a Wednesday out, I apologise profusely! lol

1. profile image0

Do I need to talk to the head of your household! Yes, you were correct!big_smile

Thank goodness for that! I So look forward to those times! smile
                    You can't speak to the head of our household. She is in kinder at the moment probably introducing some new rules for her minders to obey!
                    Please do not tell her!!! I am very very afraid of Asha! sad

40. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Yes, there is an afterlife.  It is in preparation of the life to come here on Earth through the Millenium and the great work in that era.  That life will be preparatory to the Earth receiving it's full glory after the final battle.  Eventually, upon our life portfolio, we will be brought into a degree of glory.

"Final Battle" doesn't sound like a loving God to me.

1. goldenpath profile image67
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

After the thousand years have ended Satan shall be loosed for a season to tempt mankind for one last time.  It will be ruthless on his part.  Then the final separating of the wheat from the tares will commence and they shall make war upon the virtuous after which the Earth shall be cleansed and brought back near to God.  The Earth shall be the eternal abode for the righteous.

Sounds like a "story" to me, not reality.

1. goldenpath profile image67

I respect your skepticism.  I guess we'll see.  We've got time to wait, huh.  smile

Yes, believers have been waiting quite a few generations now for Jesus to come back. Every generation believes it's their generation that Jesus will come back. Kinda odd. big_smile

Not really, considering most of them think that they will be saved. lol lol lol

Yes, I think saved is a good illusion when the reality is that everyone has the ability to save themselves rather than having dependency on an unknown source. My reality is, when a religious person claims they have been saved, they have really been imprisoned.

Believers do it to themselves. lol lol lol lol lol

They willingly imprison themselves, which is absurd. smile

2. goldenpath profile image67

I would agree to the last sentence.

2. goldenpath profile image67

Not really.  Without understanding the imagery and symbolism contained in the scriptures one can easily get fearful and believe it's "in their time".  There are still several things to take place before the said event is to occur.  In fact, the beginnings have been taking place for some time, but there are items still to take place.

1. profile image54

Fear most, he who claims to know the "imagery and symbolism" of scriptures.

Agreed smile

41. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 14 years ago

Yes.

42. Jessessej123 profile image54
    Jessessej123posted 14 years ago

I think it makes sense as it i dont think you just lay there for ever and ever and ever!

43. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

For me it will be a mystery. Anything less would be disappointing.

44. confused barbie profile image58
    confused barbieposted 14 years ago

I believe you go to heaven. I gues its just nice to think that your dead loved ones are looking out for you!

45. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

just make me think of George Carlin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwWz_C8 … re=related

46. Faybe Bay profile image63
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

I believe it's all in what you believe. If you don't believe in an after life, you just won't find it. Unless of course someone comes looking for you to sshow you where the line is.

1. profile image0

We specialize in that! big_smile

47. earnestshub profile image80

Yep! I'm here after live, and loving it! lol

48. Faybe Bay profile image63
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Hope you liked Randy Stonehill, I sent you that right?

49. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

afterlife? Hmmm, maybe a continuation of life.

50. Jumpness profile image59
    Jumpnessposted 14 years ago

Not really sure what there is, but there has to be some kind of continuation or after life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)