jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Salman Rushdie

1. Disappearinghead profile image87
    Disappearingheadposted 6 years ago

I'm in the middle of watching a documentary "Generation Jihad" on BBC iPlayer all about the radicalisation of British Moslems. Apparently a key turing point was Salman Rushdie's novel "The Satanic Verses". Just what was it about this book that upset the Islamic world? I've read the blurb on Amazon, and it just looks like some sureal fantasy novel.

2. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I think you're better off asking the muslims in your community.  I don't think anyone here can answer your question but i could be wrong.

3. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

There was a huge row in the papers when his book was published, but I can't remember exactly why. He had death threats made against him and I don't think they were ever rescinded.
    Having said that - there must still be loads about the controversy out there on google.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satani … ontroversy

Pages and pages about it all, but wikipedia is usually a good reference point.

5. 0
    A Texanposted 6 years ago

Taken from Wikipedia

"The publication of The Satanic Verses in September 1988 caused immediate controversy in the Islamic world because of what was perceived as an irreverent depiction of the prophet Muhammad. The title refers to a disputed Muslim tradition that is related in the book. According to this tradition, Muhammad (Mahound  in the book) added verses (sura) to the Qur'an  accepting three goddesses who used to be worshipped in Mecca as divine beings. According to the legend, Muhammad later revoked the verses, saying the devil tempted him to utter these lines to appease the Meccans (hence the "Satanic" verses). However, the narrator reveals to the reader that these disputed verses were actually from the mouth of the Archangel Gibreel. The book was banned in many countries with large Muslim communities."