Vampires, are they a myth, or facts

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (61 posts)
  1. empresswarrior profile image58
    empresswarriorposted 14 years ago

Legends are often told, of creatures that stalk the night feeding on unexpected souls. Fact, legend, myth, or the imagination of great authors, or is it all of the above?

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looking forward to reading a hub on the subject, Welcome to HubPages!
      I have to go, motherhood is calling. Good luck!

1. bonny2010 profile image60
        bonny2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hope it the imagination of great authors - cause they scare me witless

1. profile image52
          theculto_unoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

imagination false ideom istata betfetaliyu persi their are still clains alive the didn't think someone would move the stones off her grave at strong-bows tree we mean no harm we want to go home. we need help we need to get the arcana scrolls we where brought here by the alchemist any info on were the are would be helpfull can't be to detealed

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here you go, that should answer the question adequately. You can add the Wolfman and the Mummy to that answer, too.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont know, but for some time I was convinced my husband was a vampyre. i might b ecrazy tho..  smile

1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whoa, really?  What'd he do, to make you think he was a vampire?  Or do you mean emotionally a vampire...

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

its soooo lame.
          I had just had our first child. (I was breast feeding, she would feed for 45 min...sleep for 15 then start all over.) We watched some vampire movie...I said.. "if you were a vampire, would you let me be one with you?"
          he siad.. "I am one. And no, you dont want this life."
          shortly after, our baby kept biting my neck every time she was hungry....

1. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
            Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hah, this story was awesome smile

4. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend empresswarrior

It is no fact; it is all superstitions and myth and sign of a weak personality.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How would an Islamic vampire reconcile his hunger with the Quran?

5. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a fabricated story which arose because some royal family members had a certain disease where their blood wouldn't clot properly (causing excessive bleeding) an so they would drink blood to compensate for te loss of blood through bleeding.

6. profile image50

Vampires is just a myth, have no scientific or religious reality.

7. profile image52
      johnbranchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The idea of vampires is probably a myth based on reality. There is a hereditary blood disease called porphyria that accounts for many of the characteristics attributed to vampires. Symptoms includes cravings for blood, sensitivity to light, and a general "vampire-like" appearance.
      http://wheyproteinwarning.com/

2. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I don't being a daywalker. Lol.

3. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

There as always a little truth behind every myth

4. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Actually I think we've all met a few. I think the myth comes from the truth (as Hokey says above). We've all met people who somehow manage to suck at your energy and after being with them feel exhausted. Then we avoid them. We may not know why we avoid them but this might be it.

1. profile image52
      theculto_unoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you have and were not like people think we do have feelings and
      emotions

5. skyfire profile image81

Blood suckers/flesh eaters are truth, immortal daywalker vampires are myth.

1. Helpmerhonda profile image61
      Helpmerhondaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree there are groups of people who drink and dine on blood and call themselves vampires, They believe they achieve some type of energy from ingesting blood ( I'm not sure how safe that is these day with all the blood borne pathogens out there).  They often hunt together, practice religion together, and belong to specific groups or covens.  Others Just like to dress like vampires,but these days that's called goth!

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do vampires worry about things like hepatitis or aids? Any socially responsible vampire should first take a blood sample and get it tested properly before tucking in.

1. profile image0
          Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two different types of "real vampires."

1. There are those that believe blood benefits their health. These groups normally have their own private blood banks filled with blood that has been donated to them by "victims" who have been tested repeatedly for any blood-born diseases.

2. There are those who drink blood as a sexual thing. Most of these type of "vampires" only share blood with their lovers, who are normally tested. They may also bathe in the blood of their lover.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I dated one once

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

absolutely real and quite private. I Have hubs on vampires and wish one would spare the time to let me interview them, maybe one day, who knows.

btw I've been to Anne Rice house, lets just say it's got an interesting vibe hmmmmmm

1. profile image0

Wow, I'm jealous now. How did you manage that? Does she offer tours or something? I'd love to see the home of the woman who created Lestat.

8. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Some vampires are kind of sexy especially if their name is Brad Pitt.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

rolls eyes...geez! smile

9. skyfire profile image81

There are some groups on orkut/facebook with title "aghori". You can search and read the threads posted by members, sick and shocking.  Search for "Gary Stevenson aghori" will give interesting results on google.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Vampires don't exist except in the warped minds of a few who try to emulate them. The whole myth about vampires came from the imagination of writers from days gone by.
    The stories were originally based on vampire bats which do exist and do suck blood from their victims, usually other animals not humans.

1. theirishobserver. profile image62
      theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

one of my ex-girlfriends was definately a vampire smile

2. AnythingArtzy profile image66
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

google..... Vlad Dracula.

He is where the myth originated. a very real and vicious man who impaled his victims on poles, some while they were still alive. he thrived on this stuff.

1. profile image0

Vlad Dracula and Elizabeth Bathory were both inspirations of the famous Dracula. Both were real people. Both were sick and possibly insane.

1. profile image0
          moonphlowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bathory was a true nut job...a little on the insane side with her blood baths.

1. profile image0

Just a LITTLE? lol

3. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years ago

The world is a vampire

1. profile image54
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We're all just a rat in a cage?

1. Hokey profile image61
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup

4. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I wonder why vampires can seem sexy to some?  It's a very gross and shuddery, but fascinating for all that, subject.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know in Christoph Reilly's vampire hub
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Captive-of-the-Night
        people just went gaga how sexy it all was LMAO.

People are a funny bunch smile

1. Paradise7 profile image69
          Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, blondepoet.  I visited that link.  You know, in Bram Stoker's "Dracula", the original book, it made a real sensation because it was the first literature in the English language to really describe a female orgasm.  And a female orgasm scared all the men involved, except for the vampire!  Bram Stoker, himself, didn't know that's what he was describing...he was a Victorian gentleman, after all.

5. electra73 profile image60
      electra73posted 14 years ago

Psychology has coined certain people as being energy vamps, but these vampires are nothing like the legendary vampires we find in folklore, movies or comic books. A energy vamp is someone who feeds of another person's energy weakening their defenses against negativity or illness. I really don't feel silver crosses, stakes or fire is going to do anyone much good against the real vamps that walk amongst us, avoiding these types of people or spending limited time with them will bring you better results than a necklace of garlic.

6. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

has anyone here been bitten?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was bit by one of those wiener dogs, within an inch of my right eye yikes

Does that count? smile

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Gee...and all along I thought vampires were real...

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, not really UW. Just retired ex-grammar school teachers. Sticklers for grammatically correct prose. All are allergic to garlic, nature of the job. None are happy, rarely are they able to raise they're emotions to much above morose. A rather miserable social group. Love candlelight and dark and stuffy living conditions. Probably related to years and years of working in classrooms full of bored kids and one wall always being devoted to windows. Best avoided and certainly not sexy wink

8. Rwritings profile image66
      Rwritingsposted 13 years ago

The stories about Vampires started because people centuries ago did not understand the natural process of decomposition of a body.  When a body starts to decay natural gases and fluids like blood rise up to the surface making it appear like the corpse has risen from its grave to suck the bood of the living.

1. Dave Barnett profile image58
        Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And the most famous vamp of all, Vlad Tepes was merely a blood thirsty  hero of his people, protecting them from Islam, you know, like George Bush!

9. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

For those who think real vampires might exist, there's always this:  http://www.vampiretemple.com/

10. melpor profile image89
      melporposted 13 years ago

Vampires are  mystical beings. The idea of a human going around biting another human on the their neck for blood started from the images of vampire bats sucking blood from farm animals in tropic regions of the world such as Mexico. I do not know why people believe such absurd nonsense.

11. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Mathematicians have run the numbers. Vampires cannot be true. If they were, they would have wiped us out already, but I have it on good authority that werewolves exist. Which might explain the fact that people believe in vampires.

1. profile image50
      2. melpor profile image89
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Werewolves also fall in the category of mystical beings. Again, this idea started from what people observed again, of all places in Mexico, of people born with a lot of hair on their faces because of a rare genetic defect. They look like the imagined werewolf creatures some Hollywood writer conjured up many years ago to make money in the movie industry.

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tell that to the guy that lives three doors down from me. Maybe I'd be able to get some sleep every full moon.

Sorry, simply joking. I love vampire movies, but I thought the original question was presented as a joke.

12. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Vampires that suck your blood do not exist. There are, however, those spiritual vampires - people who just stand right next to you and suck the energy from you. smile

1. profile image0
        BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have come across the spiritual soul suckers.
        The ones that suck blood do exist but they they are called "The Government".

BTW: Sunlight does kill them, it only makes makes them stronger!!

1. profile image50
        2. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Government? Really? I thought they were all lawyers! lol

13. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years ago

They never were myths or legends - they all come from Dracula by Bram Stoker - even the link back to Vlad Dracul is tenuous - and anyway the real man was a Prince who flip flopped between christianity and Islam depending on who was strongest - as he plotted to get the throne.  Just a normal politician who got carried away with those big sticks when he got the upper hand for a while !

14. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Vampires are just a myth,they have no scientific or religious reality.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You haven't met my boss!

1. profile image50

Wel that is another thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)