What Does the Word "God" Mean to You?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (87 posts)
  1. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

I was reading an article about a study on nonbelieving pastors, and was somewhat intrigued by a rather tricky way of defining the word "god". Here's a short quote from one pastor.

“...I still think the word has some value in some contexts. So I think the word God can be used very expressively in some of my more meditative modes. I’ve thought of God as a kind of poetry that’s written by human beings. As a way of dealing with the fact that we’re finite; we’re vulnerable.”

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa … Clergy.pdf

What do you think about using the word "god" to refer to something which one personally doesn't view as the traditional god, or as a higher consciousness at all? Is it a fair compromise?

How do you personally define the term "god"?

I'm not going to argue about it, just interested in hearing peoples' views.

1. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A term used to add unnecessary complexity to simple ideas.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i still say "God" even though i don't believe in the Christian one. i do believe in a divine omnipotent spiritual presence (entity) and when speaking of it, say "God".

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right..God is a term used by man to describe the indescribable.

2. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too:) I dont know if I just believe in the presence , but I can feel it too

1. starme77 profile image77
          starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

when talking to him when I was little I told him , look , I dont really know what your name is , so I'm just going to call you God cause that is what I was taught, I dont get into the whole religious scene , I mean gee if there is one thing religons can agree on is that there is a God or Spriitual presence , they just like to argue who that presence is ,

3. Maranda Writes profile image60
      Maranda Writesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word "God" to me is a synonym.  Just as we call our earthly parents by different names such as Mom, Mommy, Mother, etc; so do we call our heavenly father by different names.  To me, he is God.  To others, he is Jehovah.  And so on....

4. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word God means Supreme father of all human beings for all castes and religions. He is only one. He is living very far from sun and star. He is incorporeal.

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Jesus Christ, The Holy Ghost, God the Father.

3. WebbyAvatar profile image58
    WebbyAvatarposted 14 years ago

Height of imagination.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Good Morning everyone.. Gotta go to work in a few .
    But had to have my forum fix.
       This is a good question that every believer and non believer  should contemplate before settling for a simple answer. This requires some thought. I'm starting by borrowing bible concepts.

When asked who he was, he answered "I Am"   
      He is in everything. He is everywhere. We can not see him yet he sees us and feels us. This is when we feel him.
       He is not just some Santa Clause type fellow that sits over there watching us saying NO NO NO. He is IN everything that we do.
       He IS ..you ..and ..ME .    He is US   but we are not HIM.

Now I'm gettig confused.

I think that the short answer would have to simply be;
    "HE  IS"
       He IS what we are..    and   "everything" that we are not.

Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would I be correct in saying that you view God as an intelligent, sentient or conscious life force?

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that there is a higher inteligent life source/form that interveins for our human race. I don't know, something like a baby in the womb having its mom as its higher power,
           Being conciousely aware of  it's little universe.
           Not knowing its place in the outside universe out side of where it is. The baby does not know if it will be born into an existence of Love or dispaire.  Unless it is connected in some way to its mothers consciousness.
           Something kinda like this if that makes any scence???

Yes I understand what you're saying, Jerami, and thank you for being willing to share your perspective on it.

Happy to oblidge..  gotta share the computer now so I guess I'm off to work for a while.
               See ya later.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

God=All that is, was, or will be.logic and reasoning.not an old man sitting on a throne.

A sentient being?

Again, not arguing, just seeking to understand.

1. profile image0

Again: all that is, was or will be..Logic and Reasoning.

If Intelligence, logic and reasoning feels? OK then.
        Definitely perceives things..Nature perceives, Plants perceives etc.

And yes..the UNKNOWABLE..cannot be perceived by the flesh

{EDITED Above}
        This should say..the unknowable ...that can't be perceived by the flesh..
        Don't want anyone to think I was saying Christ was God in the flesh.

OK then. Interesting perspective. Thanks for being willing to share your views on this.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Your latest edit "..the UNKNOWABLE..in the flesh" indicates something I just wish to clarify. I had thought you were describing a creative, intelligent life force, but the last line you added indicates something more. Not only a sentient being, but a corporeal one as well.

Not arguing, just seeking to understand what you're saying.

1. profile image0

I have clarified in the post above..not God in the flesh..
            I was saying Unknowable by the flesh..conscious mind...not that Christ is God in the flesh..

3. profile image55

Did you not notice how your response belies itself?

1. profile image0

And how did I contradict?

We are the ID..EGO..and SUPER EGO..are we not?
            We have powers of reasoning right?

1. profile image55

There isn't anything logical or reasonable about gods. We don't all have the power of logic and reasoning, many never developed the ability due to their religious indoctrination.

1. profile image0

You never understand what I'm saying or trying to get across..which shows that yes, obviously you are lacking in reasoning ability..

1. profile image55

Then, it is the communicator who failed to get their point across.

1. profile image0

No not hardly..if one person can understand the meaning, it's not the communicator..see again not using logic.

2. profile image0

I agree not everyone does..but most have the ability..

4. Pandoras Box profile image60

Forgive me Deborah for asking more questions of you. Do you define god as a being people might have a personal relationship with in any way? Is there a "salvation" involved? Is the intelligent, creative, sentient and corporeal being you've described concerned with our lives, and with "righteousness" and "sin"?

You included the word unknowable in your last reply, but I want to be sure I understand correctly, if you feel like clarifying on these points.

5. profile image0

Deleted

Thank you for clarifying that point. So you're not saying god is a corporeal being, but god is a sentient force.

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

It sounds like your non-believing pastors are sort of saying what Pessoa said, which was, roughly: "God exists. It's the adjectives that follow complicating and causing problems."

God

Standing alone like that, that works.  It offends no one. Everyone has an understanding of God.  Soon as you add anything, you'll start getting arguments. Whether as a fictitious idea, as just accepting it as a word used to describe the indescribable, a concept to embody the homeostatic whole of the universe,or as something more precise that defines it/Him/Her/Them very specifically and with a name and a complete mythology and set of rules.  Just God works for all people.  Add ONE adjective, even just an article, and you start the fight.

I never really got transcendentalism, but I gotta admit they make lovely, thought-provoking poetry.

Well, what I felt the pastor I quoted was saying was that god (the traditional) is a man-made concept, but that he personally has learned to use that concept as a focus in his own quest for personal meaning.

I don't think I mentioned that these pastors or preachers or ministers or priests were all part of a study of anonymous nonbelieving pastors who still pretend to believe their religion. They were all cases of people who studied too much, and so naturally lost their former beliefs.

What you suggest is interesting, but perhaps impossible given human nature. In effect though I think you're right, and that is what the pastor was saying, more or less. That "god" is the unknown, and perhaps the unknowable.

Considering the circumstances of these cases though, I have to wonder if the redefined god concept in this pastor's case isn't perhaps more a way of personally rationalizing or excusing his continued practice of his religion.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read once that Mother Teresa stopped believing near or a bit before the halfway point of her life.  It seems like as she grew older she may have come to a new understanding of her beliefs, but I don't want to pipe in what that was specifically because my memory might be all wet.  Suffice to say, her original deep love for Jesus Christ, the one that drove her to want to be "married" to Him, was not the understanding she had when she died.  The middle part of her life was sustained by doing the work of God while bearing the staggering disappointment of discovering her religion was a lie.  At least that's what I got from it.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you would be correct Shadesbreath.

She did stop writing and all religious work, when she herself realized that there was no god via the lies of her own religion.

I don't think that she lost faith in her God; cause he was in her heart.  I think she lost faith in her "Religion"

I know nothing of the facts on this, but I think you're probably right. People seem all too adept at being able to hold onto their god even after losing their religion.

The pastors in this study really didn't though, even though some found new ways to define the word.

I have no knowledge of this either but I Think that the majority of preachers, pastore, etc are similar as most were 1500 years ago.  It was a Job that family connections were able to supply for them.  Too often it is just a Job that if they take it "The Lord" will provide.
                   shame on me for saying that  ... slap,, slap..   
                  Don't get me wrong.  sometimes they realy feel that it is real. And if they realy feel it, they know.  And it is.

Yes you're absolutely right. It was -and I guess it still is - a living.

Too bad I can't lie so good. wink

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

You know Shades, I think you're the only person who addressed that part of my question, which was -I think- the more interesting aspect of it.

I have never really looked at mother Teresa. That is very interesting, I'm gonna have to check that out.

You have to feel sorry for these people. I mean you don't have to, but I kinda do. You devote your whole life to something, the things you taught your children, the people you associate with, everything about your life could be built around this one single false concept. And then you realize it isn't true.

Some of the pastors in the study were trying to get out, trying to find a new career, realizing at the same time that doing so would cost them everything they know, their friends, even in most cases their spouses and families.

Some of them figure it's just too late. They have no plans to leave their profession, churches, congregations, they just pretend, and fully intend to go on pretending.

It isn't really surprising to me, because I've known pastors before who admitted to me that they didn't believe. They tried to justify themselves though, and maybe I was too young then to understand.

In looking at this study though, I kinda started thinking, why not? It's all a game anyway. People want to feel good, they don't really care about truth or facts and they have little to no appreciation for real honesty. They pay the man, he puts on a good show for them, they leave happy.

The pastors aren't really happy, though. Some of them are truly miserable in their loneliness. Most of their spouses don't even have a clue, and the pastors feel it necessary to keep up the charade at all times.

Pretty sad.

7. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

GOD : The first Superman

8. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

God means:.... pain, suffering, ignorance, starvation, squalor, murder, anger, ethnic cleansing, war, death, rage, jealousy, hate, superstition, frustration, bigotry.........and possibly the destruction of most life on this planet!

9. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

God is nonsense disguised as salvation.

1. profile image0

Christians believe in salvation not all who believe God IS...believes in salvation..
      Stereotyper..

1. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sense selective reasoning.  Still any concept of God is nonsensical no matter how much one tries to qualify it.

1. profile image0

Selective?..please explain your insult..thanks

My explanation is that you used reason to point out the glitch in my assertion about salvation, but you refuse to use reason to see the glitches in your beliefs.  Selective reasoning.

1. profile image0

What salvation?
              What is your definition of Salvation?
              And people call me vague..

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/nosselinfea/icons/pferde/karl_wk13b.png

Just what point are you arguing now?  I agree with you, I understand that some people's definition of God does not include salvation.  So why, then, do I need to explain the definition of salvation?  And just what does that last sentence have to do with anything, except to imply that you are an emotional thinker, rather than rational.  In other words, you don't have to get snippy.

BTW, If this somehow helps you with the vagueness, then here it is:   
                Salvation-n ~ Preservation or deliverance from destruction, difficulty, or evil.

1. profile image0

Because you wrote this:

getitrite wrote:

"My explanation is that you used reason to point out the glitch in my assertion about salvation, but you refuse to use reason to see the glitches in your beliefs.  Selective reasoning."

You mentioned your assertion about salvation as a glitch then you said there were glitches in MY beliefs..I wanted you to explain what assertions you made and what my glitches are.
                  Why is every question thought of as an argument?
                  And it was vague for me that's why I asked.

I'm aware that there are some religions that don't see salvation as a tenet of their beliefs.  There are some religions that don't even have a devil, etc, but the culture, in which I was reared, salvation is the main aspect of the religion.  But, after reading your opposition, I understand that I was looking at it from a micro, and not macro perspective.  I concur.

Suffice it to say that the belief in a God makes no sense to me, because there is no real definition of this term then.  Your definition does not change my perspective, for it is your opinion, or the opinions of a Dogma.  There are just some things we don't know yet, and some things we may never know. 

Deborah Sexton wrote:

"God=All that is, was, or will be.logic and reasoning.not an old man sitting on a throne."

Getitrite wrote:

Deborah, your definition is kinda tricky, because what you are describing, to me, is The Universe.

2. profile image0

Well, then stop worrying about us who do believe in God..
          Thanks for commenting..

10. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

god = the antithesis of logic and reason.

1. profile image0

So your answer to the TITLE question is=Nothing..

Actually, in the thinking you're using yes Qwark thinks is complete nonsense. How if you ask Qwark who is in control of his life? He would say that he is, therefore he is "GOD" of his own life and makes decisions accordingly.

Just my thought about Qwark. It could be completely off base, but I don't think so. smile

2. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah:
        Correct.
        It means nothing to me except in the areas of concern I listed earlier in this forum.

11. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

The real and true "me" buried deep inside me and covered hopelessly by my "I"ness.

I like that! Thanks for sharing your perspective.

That almost could line up with the anonymous pastor the study quoted. God is defined as a search, not a higher being.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
        C.V.Rajanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pandoras, but that's not my own perspective. That's the essence of teaching of Hinduism as expressed in different words by so many Hindu masters.

2. Cagsil profile image69

I'm sorry you have that problem. lol

1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
        C.V.Rajanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen smile

12. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 14 years ago

It spells the word dog backwards and that is all!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, they DO say dog is man's best friend. hmm.... wink

13. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Non-existent entity whose definition/explanation changes as per religion, theist or any random person.

14. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Thanks Maranda for sharing your viewpoint. It seems from this thread and others that alot of people believe in a god, but not really any specific god. Interesting perspective. Thanks for posting!

1. profile image0

All the same God..don't get confused..God is not knowable by our conscious mind and can only be defined according to comprehension..

15. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

The personal practice of ethics, meditation, and wisdom

smile

1. profile image0

You're on the right track...

16. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

It is imaginary, that's what it is.

17. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 14 years ago

my Everything, the supreme being

18. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Spiritual beliefs are contrary to many structured religious teachings. If you find the word ‘God’ uncomfortable, please substitute this with ‘Life’ or ‘Love’ because truly they are all one and the same.

It can take time to understand what spirituality really is. Certainly our conditioning hasn’t encouraged the understanding of vital truths. And these truths are: we’ve always been creating our own reality. Our salvation has never been ‘something outside of ourselves’ – this responsibility and connection to life comes from within.

19. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I though it was just a word to yell while having sex??? big_smile

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course you did!  wink

2. Cagsil profile image69

Actually, now a days, that's about all it's worth saying it for. wink

20. skyfire profile image79

Oh god, baby, No...yeah....yes.
    God always comes first.  big_smile

Actually, "OH" technically comes first. Then again, when a woman could be saying that and at the same time...c*mming at the same time, which means two things actually "COME" before "GOD". lol

2. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if god is a man and like all men he would cum first!! lol

Can I say that? big_smile

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Forum censorship, use "COME".  lol

2. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not this God!!!   wink

3. Pandoras Box profile image60

Dude, you guys totally hijacked my thread and turned it into a public orgy.

(When I'm having sex, my man is my god. Oh god yes, oh god, oh yes god, yes, yes, yes, oh god!)

Actually I don't scream god when I'm having sex, but it sounded good.

Carry on, feel free, I think I'm almost done here anyway.

21. skyfire profile image79

lol

22. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

People in AA used GOD as an acronym for "good orderly direction".  I like that idea.

23. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Fear: The Buddhist system of religion do not believe in the concept of a personal God. The theory of Buddhism rejects the notion of an abstract principle of God operating in the universe. They rather believe that the concept of God is a response to fear and frustration. According to the Buddhist ideology, when primitive humans found themselves in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals and of natural phenomena like thunder and lightning, they created the idea of Gods to console themselves.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As it is in all Jungian and post Jungian psychology where the concept of mind/soul is the accepted location of religiosity, or "religiosity of soul"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)