jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Structured Religion Promotes Co-Dependency

1. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

These outer-based religions created entire societies and generations of co-dependents – losing all faith in ourselves and seeking answers from the outside. Why on earth would we go to ourselves for happiness? After all weren’t we no-good sinners? Who’d want to retreat to an inner place of guilt and shame? Obviously these systems taught us that it’s up to conditions outside of us to provide solutions, directions and happiness because what was on the inside was ‘pathetically useless’.

This myth is logically ineffective and totally ridiculous. We have no control over situations outside of ourselves. We can’t think for another person and have no ability or right to control their decisions or behaviour. Inevitably, basing our happiness on another person to provide it for us is self-defeating. Life and other people can’t live up to what we want them to be or do to keep us safe, secure and happy. This convoluted system of external-based expectations was always going to leave us angry, empty, grief-stricken and damaged.

1. Pandoras Box profile image83
      Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep. You can't control anyone or anything except for yourself.

1. 0
        getmybackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very smart smile

2. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

We’ve all been the product of generations of emotional disconnection. Our outer based religions taught us the answers to life lie outside of ourselves. We experienced a great deal of shame and guilt by absorbing belief systems such as ‘we’re unworthy sinners’ and have to act and be a certain way to receive ‘God’s approval’ – man-made versions of conditional love. We were taught we probably didn’t deserve the things we wanted and weren’t good enough in God’s eyes to receive them. We were told that we had no right to know or believe our wisdom within. We were robbed of worthiness and deservedness.

3. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 6 years ago

That's what Religion do to Man. If you have a brain and use it, you can't allow it to do this to you.It's a shame a lot of people prefer to let a God decide for themselves !

4. TheGlassSpider profile image81
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

With all due respect, Hokey, you may have been taught those things, but I was not.

I understand your dislike for organized religion (I'm not a fan of it either), but given that millions of people, from all kinds of different backgrounds - atheists and believers alike - suffer from codependency, I think your assessment may be a bit over-simplified. I strongly suggest that you do more research on it and its roots. Research from peer-reviewed journals, literature written by PhDs and qualified researchers, and case studies about codependency point out that the more common thread in cases of codependency is some form of addiction and lack of adequate affection/love early in life.

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

1. TheGlassSpider profile image81
        TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I understand what you said, and I stand by what I said. Would you like to share any relevant research to back up your claim? Perhaps you have seen/know something I don't.

1. Hokey profile image61
        2. Hokey profile image61
        3. Hokey profile image61
          1. TheGlassSpider profile image81
            TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Hokey smile I'll read this this evening.

1. Hokey profile image61

Your welcome. smile

5. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

working