What is preaching?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

If somebody spreads with reason, rationality and logical arguments what one truthfully believes in; that is simply declaring one's faith one believes in to others; others have a right to differ with one and provide one with their own reaons, rationality and logical arguments. This way human learn.

This is not preaching as most people misunderstad it. I think you would agree with me. Do you?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All arguments are rationale, logical and should { can be } equally considered or dismissed. This is consciousness.
      The application of consciousness, awareness.
      The perspective presented is the argument and preaching is just enforcement of a perspective of any consideration.

True philo needs no ratio or ration of logic.
      True philo exceeds necessity, is peace.

don't make me start preaching. lol

1. alexandriaruthk profile image68
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is the start of preaching hehe

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend alexandriaruthk

I think you have misunderstood. Please express yourself fully with your reasons.

Thanks

2. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile exactly!

2. profile image51

Hi friend Twenty One Days

There is no compulsion in it; and hence no intention of enforcement. So you agree with me. Do you?

Thanks

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Watch and listen to Glenn Beck....that IS preaching!
      If you are "spreading" your beliefs, you are preaching.
      Keep your religious beliefs to yourself.
      Is someone asks you to express them and you don't try to convert them..I find no problem with that.
      There is nothing logical or reasoned that pertains to religion.

1. profile image51

"There is nothing logical or reasoned that pertains to religion"

Hi friend qwark

If there is no reason; then it must be a blind-religion.

Please cite an example.

Thanks

1. qwark profile image60

All religion is "blind."
          it is based on "faith."
          Religious faith, by definition, is based 100% on "hope."
          All monotheism believes in 1 god/allah.
          When asked to define your divinity, all you can offer is opinion and conjecture.
          You have "blind" faith.
          PS...I am not an atheist, agnostic, deist or a believer in mythical metaphysical divinities.

1. profile image51

Hi friend qwark

I don't agree with you.The Truthful religion is based on reason and hence has widom. It is the Atheists Agnostics who are constantly in doubt, not able to see the Truth; they are therefore blinded in reason. They themselves called themselves Skeptics; they follow Atheism meme blindly; while they pose to be Scientist , a few of them are actually scientists.

Thaks

1. qwark profile image60

Paarsurey:
              Evidently your ability to use and understand English is not yet good enuf to be able to "hub" with, educated, "native" speakers of English.

I know English is not your "native" language. I take that into consideration.

Let me clarify, for you, my use of the words logic, reason and truth
              Logic.

Logic is a science that deals with the rules and tests of    sound thinking and proof by "reasoning."
                  (the operative word in this sentence is "proof.")
              Reason
                 Reason is the due exercise of the faculty of "logical" thought."
                   (the operative word in this sentence is "logical.")
              Truth
                 Truth is the "real" state of things: fact.
                    (the operative word in this sentence is "real")

I hope you can now understand why I use those words when speaking of this god thing.

You must first identify this god thing factually, then provide proofs "it" exists. You may then say "it" is a well "reasoned" "truth."
              Until you can do that, all you can do is offer opinion and conjecture (guess.)
              Continue to study English, you are doing pretty well.

1. profile image51

Hi friend

Thanks

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not really. A declaration of faith is just that, a declaration.

To defend your position with reason, rationality and logical arguments is certainly not preaching. Of course, the moment you get into the realm of the supernatural, all reason, rationality and logic are tossed out the window and your declaration of faith becomes an asserted belief.

2. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

No

1. profile image51

Nevermind

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I hope you see through this.
    Lol, enjoy.

1. profile image51

Hi friend skyfire

What is your point of view? Please express it fully with reasons. Please don't see through wrongly.

Thanks

4. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

That would entirely depend on your motivation, the timing, and the way in which you present your beliefs.

If we were in a discussion and you gave your side of a matter and I gave mine then we are discussing our beliefs. Discussion usually starts with "I believe" "I think". If you are simply pushing you beliefs on another then you are preaching. And the big picture is that "spreading your beliefs" is preaching not discussing.

1. profile image51

Hi friend JeanMeriam

I think UN charter allows propogating/spreading one's faith; so it is not preaching.

Thanks

1. profile image0
        JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

paarsurrey
        I am not your friend. I am a stranger. If you can get one meaning wrong, perhaps you may have gotten another wrong. I've always found the dictionary to be a useful source of word definitions.

And the UN allowing you to spread your religion means that you're not preaching? I'll pass that info along to the pastors and missionaries that they are not actually preaching so they had better up their game if they want to preach.

1. profile image51

Hi JeanMeriam

There is a news that many pastors have admitted that they say on the pulpit what they believe to be incorrect; that is preaching as they are spreading what they don't believe. If they would have been believing it and then educating people that was alright.

You may see the following link in this connection :

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa … tence.html

Thanks

5. profile image51

Hi friends

I give here "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights":

Article 18.
    •    Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Article 19.
    •    Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers

This charter allows to express one's faith; expressing it is not preaching.

I think you would agree with me.

Thanks

6. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Elements of preaching include exposition, exhortation and practical application.

7. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Let's not go off on another fever fit about religion.  Preaching, in essence, is teaching.  It is an extension of knowledge (as one sees it, I agree) to someone else.  The term "preaching" is an exclusive term in connection with religion.  However, there is really no difference between a religious preacher and a school teacher except in what they teach.  Both teach and instruct according to their own knowledge and intent.  So, if you want a more detailed and constuctive analysis of preaching than you will need to break your question down further.  Otherwise you will get the same rants and ravings as is now engrained in cyberspace on current and past HubPages forums.

1. profile image51

Hi friends

If we accept your definition the Atheist are also doing it as fevently in these forums as others. Why should the preaching or teaching of Atheism Agnosticism Skepticism not criticized here?

Thanks

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are criticised all the time.

2. goldenpath profile image68
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You'll get no adverse comment from me.  Also, there is no need to address yourself as a peaceful Muslim.  Although, as a Mormon, I truly understand that you may feel the need to address your peaceful intentions upfront.  I respect your feelings.

It goes both ways.  Both ends of the spectrum are relentlessly demonized and belittles the other.  No peaceful dialogue will ever happen under such conditions.  The more we condescend another the more we do the Adersary's work.  He wants us cutting each other down.  He wants the "great divide" to be even greater, even unto bloodshed.  The root at it all is pride - on both sides.  If we, as a species, can learn to believe as we wish without feeling threatened every time a different point of view is addressed, we will have come a long way toward tolerance and understanding. 

Peace to you, my brother, in whatever faith you practice! smile

1. profile image51

"If we, as a species, can learn to believe as we wish without feeling threatened every time a different point of view is addressed, we will have come a long way toward tolerance and understanding."

Hi friend goldenpath- a Mormon

I appreciate your above words of peace.

Thanks

8. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Personally, i want theist to remain what they're. I don;t want to educate them or change them. This spoils the balance, why i should do that ? there is no good reason to wake up deluded one.It's fun to keep them at what they're,even if it harms me.

I don't preach atheism, or skepticism. I make my point whenever possible on forums/offline life then i'm done with it and i'm damn sure more than 90% theists don't read my post. This completes my side, who in this forum you think is preaching atheism/skepticism ?

9. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Preaching: Foolishness to men.

10. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Preaching can be any ideology being forced upon by others telling you their opinions constantly

1. profile image51

Hi friend Richieb799

It is all being done by the Atheists here. They are Preachers of Atheism. Arn't they?

Thanks

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are outed is what you are! lol lol lol

2. profile image51

Hi friend Richieb799

Then why do the Atheists tell constantly everybody that they are Atheists and they ridicule others.

If they can do that; then others could also express their beliefs.

Thanks

11. profile image0
    SwampDonkeyposted 14 years ago

Preaching is what the old people back home do when they don't know what they are talking about.

1. profile image51

Hi friend SwampDonkey

I agree with you.

Thaks

12. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Hi friend paarsurrey- hope you are fine.I am interested to learn hubs about your ideology and ideas-why don't you simply write a few of them, well-organized hubs full of useful information and links. Thanks-I am a peaceful andromida smile

1. profile image51

Hi friend andromida

I tried to but I get stuck up; I could not find the place where to write my post.

You and my other friends may ask questions and I would reply from my sources. Or, I may start a thread "Ask paarsurrey" where my friends could ask me question for information and I will give the replies.

In short our faith is equi-distant from other faiths/denominations/religions and since we uphold reason; so we are in the centre uniting everybody on Truth; accommodating and reconciling with others but not compromising on untruth.

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems rather pointless considering your answers will always be based on Islam. Anyone can read the Quran and the Hadiths. You're just looking for a reason to create a soapbox on which to stand.  smile

13. brethodge profile image40
    brethodgeposted 14 years ago

Preaching doesn't mean only spreading words about some religious faith and any peaceful organization but it means talking and giving out something which is useful for people may it be a product or lesson or teachings... smile

1. profile image51

Hi friend brethodge

It is OK; as long as one believes that it is truthful.

Thanks

14. profile image51

Hi friends

If somebody spreads with reason, rationality and logical arguments what one truthfully believes in; that is simply declaring one's faith one believes in to others; others have a right to differ with one and provide one with their own reaons, rationality and logical arguments. This way human learn.

This is not preaching as most people misunderstad it.
    Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)