A Believer is Happier than a Skeptic...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image74
    Rishy Richposted 14 years ago

The fact that A believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.    — George Bernard Shaw roll

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have actually been psychological studies that have, on a general scale, proved that believers rate their lives higher than those who are not religious.

My psychologist once told me "I wish that I could believe in the God illusion."

Rishy Richposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too... I always felt that 'the more u knw, the more u hate' ...may b this is one reason why skeptics tend to be less happy hmm

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another old saying, "Ignorance is bliss."

2. profile image50
          paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend Rishy Rich

They Skeptics even know less of life; which has many faculites they don't believe in. They are ver unfortunate people.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pondering the definitions of "happiness" might help shed light.

A Believer has much comfort and Godly joy,  which isn't always the same as "happiness" as defined by the world.....

I liked the previous definition more smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that "believers" don't understand much about the World.

1. profile image0

On the contrary, we know so much that we prefer the otherworld..

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

You do realize there'll be gay men there right?  ..and Democrats?

1. profile image0

"I don't think so Tim".

And there will be no sex in Heaven anyway.   Spirits aren't flesh and blood.  And sex in general, while it may parallel "happiness", doesn't always equal to Godly joy.

And that discussion would be safer on another thread.

And nice to see you missed me, Ron!  wink

You were gone?

1. profile image0

Indeed.

When?

2. Rishy Rich profile image74

roll dat was straight-cut

3. profile image0

I'd just say they understand it differently.

Exactly...just like kids do wink

1. profile image0

Since we are incapable of knowing the answers to our metaphysical questions, any one of us could be wrong, and any one of us could be right.  Science is no more sure than religion of anything.

Happiness and stability depends on illusion, we all live in one.  No relationship would be successful if people saw their partners for exactly who they are.

I'm one of those people that would choose to live in the matrix over choosing to live in the illusion.  Truth is more important to me than happiness, but sometimes I agree with my psychologist, I wish I too could believe in the illusion - but I'm just not wired that way.

yeah...Its not their fault & Its not our fault either. We r designed to be like dis. Blame the programmer!

1. profile image0

That is exactly the paradox that bothers me about religion.  If God creates everybody the way they are, than it is God who is responsible for my disbelief, and not myself as this is how He wired me to understand the world.  This is also why "free will" is an illusion religiously speaking.  There is no other decision we could choose to make, but the one we did, because everything that has led up to that moment has programmed us to make it.

And it is these contradictions and paradoxes in religion that make it evident they centre around man, and not God.  If it was God inspired, logic could not penetrate it as it does on a continual basis.

4. profile image50

Hi friend Ron Montgomery

In my opinion it is equally good for the Skeptics or Atheist; they also don't know much about the world in general terms.

Thanks

3. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which believer, and which skeptic? That's the real question.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...ignorance is bliss?   :-)

2. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Completely ridiculous.
    No offense.

Shaw's quote is right on.
    I'm happy, spiritual, and content as are most atheists I know.
    smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with wyanjen on this one!

2. profile image50

Hi friend wyanjen

The Skeptics Atheist don't believe in the moral and spiritual. They are in an illusion that the Creator- God Allah YHWH does not exist.

Thanks

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very unfortunate, immoral people. Tsk tsk.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I deeply respect your lies as they are god given to you, are protected under freedom of religion and condoned by Islam. smile

3. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm.
        You trying to call me out as a liar? 'Cuz I can't think of any other reason that you would say I don't believe what I just said I believe.

Thanks
        I am a peaceful atheist waiting for you to get your head out of the sand.

By "sand", I mean "ancient fictional book".

3. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 14 years ago

Essentially what I have gathered from the studies I've read, and the conversations I've had with believers and non-believers is that there is one thing that non-believers will never have that makes all of the difference.  A sense of purpose, a reason we're here, and comfort that there is a reason when things don't go our way.  When things get really, really bad, a believer just has to think there is a divine purpose they do not understand, and that is enough reassurance that things will work out for the better.

Essentially, a believer has a purpose, a non-believer does not.  It doesn't have to be God, but spiritual people have a sense of fulfilment that non-spiritual people don't.  And even if it doesn't feel like it does, every study has shown that makes a huge difference.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Well then wouldn't it be more accurate to say that people with a known purpose in their life are happier than people without?

I think society is at a transition point, kind of lost in limbo right now. For many religion has failed. It's sad that they haven't found a purpose in life and the ability to embrace life and the universe for what it is, but then, we don't have any leaders talking about that.

I agree that religion serves a need for people able to believe in that, but as we learn to put away these things, we might find it useful to replace them with a worldview and system more real and honest that serves the same good functions, and hopefully others, and hopefully more adequately and universally.

4. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Most studies show those who don't follow a religion are happier than those without, they also show religious people fear death much more than those who are not religious!

1. profile image0

This is entirely false.

1. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not at all, there have been hundreds of scientific studies all which show the same thing, Google is your friend if you want to know more.

1. profile image0

Believe what you want, it's irrelevant to me.  But the internet is not an accurate source.

1. thisisoli profile image69
            thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No but scientific research is more reliable than blatantly unsupported statements.

1. profile image0

Yours are no more unsupported than mine, neither of us have provided proof.  Psychology is my field.  I trust my research, not yours.

2. profile image0

"It only maintains that religious people are happier than others if all other factors are held constant."

"Under a set of assumptions, the hypotheses derived are that personal and societal economic capital, national pride and national integration, religiosity, and societal religious integration, all positively affect the life satisfaction of the individual"

- W. Jagodzinski in his article Economic, Social, and Cultural Determinants of Life Satisfaction: Are there Differences Between Asia and Europe? 

-----

"Children’s spirituality, but not their religious practices (e.g., attending church, praying, and meditating), was strongly linked to their happiness. Children who were more spiritual were happier. Spirituality accounted for between 3 and 26% of the unique variance in children’s happiness depending on the measures. Temperament was also a predictor of happiness, but spirituality remained a significant predictor of happiness even after removing the variance associated with temperament. The personal (i.e., meaning and value in one’s own life) and communal (quality and depth of inter-personal relationships) domains of spirituality were particularly good predictors of children’s happiness. These results parallel studies of adult happiness and suggest strategies to enhance happiness in children."

- Mark D. Holder & Ben Coleman & Judi M. Wallace in Spirituality, Religiousness, and Happiness in Children Aged 8–12 Years

----

"After all, there's an obvious social and political benefit in adhering to the beliefs of the majority. And there are also indications that both psychological and physical health are stronger among the faithful."

- Roy Speckhardt in Finding Faith in Humankind

-----

And that is to only name a few.  I have access to all of these papers through the University of Waterloo library, and would be happy to e-mail any of the full articles to you in PDF format if you choose.

1. Dan Smith profile image60
                Dan Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awesome.  Way to to put the smack down.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Please do. pandoras_box359@yahoo.com

I'd really appreciate it, very interesting.

It's not the religious belief itself that makes them happier, it's the by-products, some of which may be worthy of replicating some other way.

1. profile image0

I've just sent it to you smile

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

crmhaske  said   
      That is exactly the paradox that bothers me about religion.  If God creates everybody the way they are, than it is God who is responsible for my disbelief, and not myself as this is how He wired me to understand the world.  This is also why "free will" is an illusion religiously speaking.  There is no other decision we could choose to make, but the one we did, because everything that has led up to that moment has programmed us to make it.

And it is these contradictions and paradoxes in religion that make it evident they centre around man, and not God.  If it was God inspired, logic could not penetrate it as it does on a continual basis.
    ==========================================================================================================
       I know that it is written in scripture that way, only expressed a little diffrently.
      Talking about NOT being prideful over anything at all; even faith  for "HE" gives this alse ... to whom ever he chooses.
        I cain't see him judging anyone harshly for not having something that he didn't give to them?

1. profile image0

It's an optimistic point of view, but that is still essentially one of my "beefs" with theistic religions regardless of in how many ways it can be explained a way.  It doesn't remove the paradox or the contradictions.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I try to keep in mind that Ezre reassembled what we know as the Old Testament in the 5th century BC. I don't know how much of the older writtings that he was working with. How much of it was pretty much intact and how much was not.
           I think it was Artaxerius (Sp.?) that instructed him to reestablish the origional religious beliefs to the Hebrews in Jerusalem. Who knows how many "Helpers" he had doing the actual writting and how accurate they coppied those things that was written?

And; most people knows what I think about those writtings that the church chose to accept into the cannon. I believe that some parts of some writtings that were not accepted as a whole did have small parts written into other writtings that were accepted. (In the name of compromise)
           This being said... I don't feel that we should dismiss the "God" concept entirely for this reason.
           Kinda like this....Just because you were misquoted does not prove that you did not speak that day. Can I believe that mankind messed up the writtings?  You   Bet Cha

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The barn doors are open again and out come the skeptics!yikes

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The stables are open, and here comes the dark horses... yikes

7. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

Being happy has nothing to do with fairy tales, only unless it takes a fairy tale to make you happy...

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

a believer in what? everyone believes something.

now are we going to argue who is happier? lol
    these threads are a hoot!

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  Woot-woot! big_smile

9. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I think some believers are happier than skeptics, while some skeptics are happier than believers. Skeptics don't really have to worry about "going to hell" or "eternal damnation" because they don't believe in it. While believers do believe in those things (depending on religion).

I think it's almost along the same lines as one of those people that believes they are the most popular person in school, yet in reality they have no friends. It doesn't matter though, they keep smiling anyways.

1. profile image50

Hi friend Origin

I agree with you that it is a relative term;some believers are happier than skeptics, while some skeptics may be happier than the believers.

As far as heaven and hell is concerned; it is a reality and the Creator -God Allah YHWH would judge everyone whether a believer or a non-believer. If the Skeptics don't believe in it; it does not mean that they won't face the reality.

It is good if they believe in it and improve themselves accordingly; no compulsion however.

Thanks

1. Origin profile image60
        Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A skeptical would probably insert a "if" statement in the second part of..

"If the Skeptics don't believe in it; it does not mean that they won't face the reality."

So it would be something like..

"If the Skeptics don't believe in it; it does not mean that they won't face the reality, if it's actually true"

I'm not saying I'm skeptical or not, just saying.

1. profile image50

Hi friend Origin

I understand

Thanks

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Improve ourselves accordingly?

I really am appreciative of the fact that you aren't standing right in front of me. No compulsion however. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)