1. katesisco profile image61
    katesiscoposted 6 years ago

The NYT had a article today about China's arrest of Fulong Gong members which made me start thinking:  the next newest is B'hai Barith and it surprised me to see it began in Iran.  And it seems to have been badly treated also.  Why?
    If you look at history, the greatest change through time is religiously motivated.  Our world governments have the most to lose to a religious movement.  It seems logical then that governments emphasize their existing religions, even to the point of exacerbation divisions among them. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't: in other words, handling the known is doable. 
    A religious movement seems almost to come about through an individual; in one lifetime.  They seem to acquire a life of their own.  Repression makes them grow.  To governments this would be an anathema.   This disruptive movement would create massive bureaucratic failures. 
    This explains why all governments crack down immediately and hard on all new cults, religions, etc.  And,in addition, it explains why you read constantly of a current religion as being a point of contention, which, to the existing government, it is not.  It is merely a way to handle dissatisfaction by encouraging the belief that a problem can be solved within the existing and known framework.
    A charismatic leader, on the other hand, would pose an ultimate danger; one of the unknown.  It would flash through the world in our age of instant communication; which is why you see the 2012 end of time emphasized in scientific and catastrophic terms.  Times of deprivation and disenfranchisement are the seeds of new religions.  World governments are quick to quantify any individual as a terrorist if they have a religious content.

2. goldenpath profile image82
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

Did you know that 2010 is 2012's two years ago?

3. Jerami profile image79
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

This a very deep and many sided question.

I may be wrong but it seems that world events such as major volcanic eruptions, followed by crop failures, followed by poor nutrition followed by plagues ; and on and on  are the major motivation behind the Major religious upheaval???
       At least in the sence of the times and the extent of interconectedness of world  known at that times.