jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Consecrated Offering

1. Onusonus profile image86
    Onusonusposted 6 years ago

I believe that as Christians we have the duty to consecrate our lives to the building up of faith in the world through service in the name of the Lord.

Say for instance that there is a disaster in another country, and somone at work asks you to donate money to a relief fund. Then the next Sunday, your church feels inspired to ask for donations for the same purpose.

Now some may say; "I already gave at the office," but the difference is that the first time you gave money it was a kind act, the second time though, it became a concecrated offering. This is because it is now an act of service requested by somone who you feel is inspired by the Spirit of God.

What would you do?

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with what you are saying, as long as we have, we should give. I also believe that if someone can be of any help in a personal way they should if they have the time volunteer to help with the disaster cleanup.

Brother Dave.

1. Onusonus profile image86
        Onusonusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A prime example for sure.

2. yolanda yvette profile image61
    yolanda yvetteposted 6 years ago

I don't know what I'd do.  How could one really know until they're in that position?

3. shazz01109 profile image60
    shazz01109posted 6 years ago

Follow ur conscience and be rational.  If u r able to give a 1 time donation, or several fine.  It also depends upon the amount, and what u r able to support.  I don't blieve in giving b/c of just obligation.  Both can be consecrated offerings, depending upon the person's heart and intent who is donating.  There r times when I have given support for causes, then see it at the cashier's at the grocery store, and then b asked to donate in front of everyone.  And many times I smile and say "No thanks", b/c I've donated elsewhere already.  It's no one's business what I've done, or if I donate or not.  People need to judge themselves, not others when it comes to charity...

4. yolanda yvette profile image61
    yolanda yvetteposted 6 years ago

Great answer, shazzo1109.

5. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

If I had money on me I'd give. It might not be as much as the first one, though.

Just give from your heart - what you can. smile

6. Jerami profile image79
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

And then we go home....  We know that our neighbor has been layed off; his/her  wife/husband is disabled, they have four children ...  because no one helps them because it it is not a "POPULAR" cause they are ignored?
       And then we complain about crime in the neighbor hood.

In hard times I think that Charity should begin in the "HOOD"

7. dfager profile image79
    dfagerposted 6 years ago

A Christian should give from their hearts and not from any sense of legalism. Should you wait to act until someone has blessed that action?  Giving comes from the heart.

1. 0
      SirDentposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree to a point. The prodigal son was alone and no one gave anything to him. It was done for a purpose.

We should always ask for guidance in giving. There mayu be times that God is trying to get someone's attention and we should let them alone and let God work.

1. Jerami profile image79
        Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes when we think that we are doing a good think we are not doing a God thing.
        dent is absolutely correct.  We are sometimes headed toward destruction and obsticals are placed in our path. For someone to do a what is thought to be a good thing by removing that obstical is in reality sending that oerson to their doom.

And to donate our last dollar to a good cause over seas, is to ignore another good cause that is arcoss the street.
           We chould be doing our good deads everyday as we can, not just when something hits the evening news.

2. blsdauthor profile image60
      blsdauthorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In spending time with God He will lead us in the right direction. It is written that to he who much is given much is expected. Believers should tithe their time, talents and money. Being a light is not only about dollars. God knows our heart! Fellowship with Him will develop our listening to His voice as He tells us what to do and where to plant our seeds.

8. Williamjordan profile image60
    Williamjordanposted 6 years ago

This is another one of those unpopular subjects that cute christian do not or will not understand it about true devotion being a light and a dark world demonstrating through our lives that God has empowered us and that we are willing ambassaords of faith.
    oh did I misunderstand did you not say consecrate our live that more than giving money.

9. Onusonus profile image86
    Onusonusposted 6 years ago

I have a strong belief that if you enter into a congregation and are taught by those who you feel are ordained by God to preach the gospel to you, that those men are literal mouthpieces of Jesus Christ. They receive his guidance, they are inspired and directed by him. Therefore if they come to you and ask something of you, that you should be compelled to do what you can to follow that instruction. A widow needs her lawn mowed, your services are requested to help at a homeless shelter in your spare time, etc.

Now there are always circumstances which might prevent you from doing, or contributing to such efforts but as was said by somone else in this forum, it's all about where your heart is, and if the people who lead your congregation are truely inspired they will know who can help out at what intervals, and they will also know when you might need a push to do something you might not feel like doing.

I've been pushed to serve others at times when I didn't feel like doing it, but when I got there, the feeling I received in my heart in serving others helped me to draw closer to the Lord, because when you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God.