jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

1. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

Greetings to all!

Well, here is an interesting and Earth shattering question for you.  What would you do if you were presiding over a massive and well attended meeting in which your presence was not only expected but really necessary and you suddenly had to use the porcelain throne?  How would you modestly extend relief to your facilties and yet do so in a dignified way?

As usual just a question which popped into my head. smile

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, but there IS NO dignified way to use the porcelain throne!  big_smile

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

this actually happened to me, sort of.  my attorney was the one in need in the middle of court proceedings.  He spoke up to the judge and asked for a minute, said he'd be right back.

goldenpathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would almost affect his credibility in court. smile

I've been preaching at the pulpit for many years and I still, to this day, hate being in front of people.  The very thought brings "irregularity" about twenty minutes prior to meeting start.  I've made it a habit and point to make a pit stop at the throne before each meeting.

"And away goes trouble down the drain!"

"B-12, YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!" smile

3. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

Funny you should post this. I often thought of the same thing. What do they do if it hits in the middle of the sermon?

You reeeeeealy don't want to know!

Let's just say it takes a whole lot of "divine" intervention... smile

4. wyanjen profile image85
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I once saw a local TV weatherman drop his microphone midway through the report and run off the sound stage - holding his butt with both hands.

I remember thinking, nature calls! But dude, have a little dignity!!

They should have put up a graphic that said

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
        Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lawl.. I'm so seeing a you I never knew.

I think, however, in response to the query: you go with honest and humor.  Frankly, those are EXACTLY the situations that God invented humor for, as you just illustrated.  There is an exactly right joke that buys you the escape you need.  Not only with a bit of humor at your expense as the cost of the escape, but with the deepening of the relationship with your audience who suddenly see you, the "man behind the microphone" as real, just like them.

As long as your speech is credible and valuable and reassertes your authority as an expert on the topic, you lose NOTHING in having that moment and have a chance to win them deeply.  Those are the moments that show them who you really are.

People buy from people.  I imagine that sales truth translates pretty well to what you do too.

True, I am 5'3" and use that to my advantage.  I like to make people laugh and often use my "abnormalities" as the punchline.  Sometimes I'll stand up at the pulpit and say something to the affect of "Don't worry, I am already standing", or "I hope my big nose doesn't obscure your view."  Humor is awesome!

5. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

It would be an acceptable practice for leaders to wear Depends! smile

6. Shealy Healy profile image61
    Shealy Healyposted 6 years ago

There is an easy way to answer this questionn. Become a spin teacher. At least once in your life when you are teaching your class-you will know exactly what you would do in this situation.