jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Cliches When We Pray

1. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Recently, I caught myself using a stock phrase in praying before our meal.  I realized at the same time that it was actually an important concept, but worn-out phrasing.  (What I said was, "Please make us mindful of the many blessings You have given us.")

What do you consider to be some of the trite phrases we sometimes use, but which actually express deep concepts?  Do you have suggestions for other wording that helps us to keep these concepts fresher in our spirit?

1. michifus profile image86
      michifusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I do not think that God has a copy filter which knocks the value of clearly plagiarised prayer content.

2. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Why, dearest, loving, god, do you feed me and allow millions of others to starve to death?"

How's that one?  wink

3. 0
      Deborah Sextonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In this type of prayer, I feel as long as you have a sincere heart (Mean what you are saying) that's all that counts.

4. jodynotj profile image60
      jodynotjposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Speaking from a love for Jesus, I have begun to appreciate the simple value of taking a bite of food before praying, so I can thank him for the unique varieties of flavor in my meal.  In writing I've been told to "show not tell."  I believe that this is true in prayer; when I thank God for specific qualities I am, at once, avoiding cliches and being shown one of the many blessings He has given me.

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

No argument there!

I do think that I, and maybe others, may lose focus when we lapse into patterns of words that arise without much real thought or awareness on our part.

Also, when we are praying aloud (as I was in the example I gave), the words we speak may affect those around us - either helping to draw them closer to God or serving to distance them from God.

That may not be true for other people, though.

3. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

I pray, but not to a god, rather a higher power as I refer to, all the same each morning

I ask to be treated by people today

As I treated them yesterday.

off to sleep

1. 0
      mtsi1098posted 6 years ago in reply to this

excellent thought...impressive to say the least smile