jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Books on Religion & Philosophy

1. Mikelo22 profile image61
    Mikelo22posted 6 years ago

Hi, I'm rather new here, so I hope this is in the right forum. Anyway, with summer finally coming up, some of us, including myself, are going to have a bit more free time on our hands, so what better way to spend it than on some good books.

I just recently finished the Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion by David Hume and found it pretty entertaining and insightful, but now I'm not sure what book to read next, so I was hoping for some help by having some of you post a few of your favorite books and perhaps a small reason why you recommend it.

This isn't intended to be an advertisement of any particular product or ideology. Just a nice way to share summer readings. The book can be discussing any religion, or no religion in particular. It doesn't really matter. I like reading about all of them.

For me personally, I would certainly recommend Hume's book to anyone who is interested in the subject of Religion and Philosophy. It's a bit of a hefty read, but it's not too bad.

1. goldenpath profile image80
      goldenpathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Jesus the Christ", James E. Talmage

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The philosophy behind religion is a false ideology that is detrimental to the health and wealth of the world, as a whole.

You are more than welcome to believe as you choose, however, I would like to give you a heads up about public display of religious views(should you have any).

There are some people, like myself and unlike me, and then completely different than me, who will be glad to give all sorts of information about religion, religious view and even things outside religion.

I guess what I am trying to say is be careful. If you are not thick skinned, then you could find yourself insulted. But, then again, people of the religious faith, usually use their faith for justification of many things and fail to realize other things.

On a side note- Welcome to HubPages and I certainly do hope you have a great time. Enjoy! smile

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

If you haven't read Milton's Paradise Lost you can kill two birds with one reading stone.

I keep telling myself I'm finally gonna crack my copy of Heidegger's Being in Time this summer, but I'm afraid. lol

4. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

And, why Shadesbreath?  I realize the "lol" at the end, but is the book that deep of subject?  I mean, we've had conversations and I realize you're well educated + an avid reader...so?  If afraid or even joking about it?

What's the truth about the book? I'm just curious....I would rather not google it, when I value your thoughts about it's contents.