And I quote...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

I am personally a buff of literature. Yet for the life in my can barely quote my own writings. Don't laugh, it's true. After much observation and posting, I have to wonder what the HubBub with BOTH believers and non-believers quoting scripture. I am well aware many religious groups quote and that a few hold quoting chapter and verse as the ultimate power or the Word inclusive. Yet, from all the c & v I have read, found no where it states we should quote the words of a books/letters. They are a simple inspired stories, guide and expression to show us the truth.

For example, non believers quote Torah as the hate-speech of the Father while believes quote the 'New Testament' as the love-speech of the Father. Are both correct or both incorrect in your view.
    And why are people compelled to quote them.

Your thoughts on quoting...

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did it and we should also if we are indeed followers of Jesus.

Luk 4:18  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Isa 61:1  The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sir Dent, I see this as a partial reading He did, not quoting. He read it to fulfill the Isaiah prophecy concerning himself, yes. But afterward only one other time does He mention script in paraphrase when responding to a temptation.

My concern lies in the limitation of quoting is the absence of actual power in the Spirit to manifest the still hidden truths.
        Not to say reading it is a bad thing. But solely remaining in that place. Much like the hackneyed human consciousness of sin which 99% of the believing still meditate on daily.

Still, the underlying question is why it has become so fashionable by both sides.

James.

2. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm adamant about not quoting scripture.  It's a folly habit and only brings one's countenance down in the eyes of others.  No persuasion takes place by throwing scripture at others.  Influence takes place through long-suffering, gentleness, meekness and love unfeigned.  What greater way to influence the opinion of other than to be an example of what you believe.  Let others judge the fruits of what you believe in your actions, words and thoughts.  That is where the spirit is manifest and magnified - not in vain repititions of scripture tossing.  To do this is a desecration of sacred writ.  Those inspired words were meant to be taken "in" and applied and not used as punchlines or bullets.

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

I hate "air quotes". smile

honestly, I have no problem with people who qoute stuff becuase they feel it enhances thier point, but Im not a fan of qoute contests.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Anyone quoting scripture, simple proves that they do not understand the scripture, in and of, itself. I get the fact that some non-believers love to use scripture, to point out certain aspects and it's a foolish step.

Those who spread the word learned from religion, albeit, whatever religion it is, really do not comprehend the true meaning, because they see only the words but do not incorporate those same words into their life. If they did, then they wouldn't speak of it to begin with.

Just my thoughts. smile

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that I agree with you on this Cagsil.
      I have seen two people argueing ; "I'm right you are wrong",  "No You are wrong I am right", while quoting the same verses as proof of their side of the arguement.

Peoples minds have been programed to believe those things that they read to mean something that are in fact,are saying something other than what they think that it says  And we are all doin it !
      Does that make any sense?

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

The Bible is the inspired word of God.  It's powerful;  the most powerful Book around.   People are drawn to it, just as they're drawn to the Author of it.   They'll either love it or hate it.

..I wrote a poem about that drawing power.  Deleted it later with a bunch of others.  Oh well.

The quoting of the Bible, or even other books,  should always be taken and given out within the context of the entire intent of the author.
    Non-believers don't do that.  Nor do many religions or denominations, sad to say.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey, why would you delete stuff you feel strongly about?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Long story.
        It will be useful elsewhere someday.

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Generally, I find experience a better teacher than quotations from sources. Even spirituality is far better experienced than read about. The experience creates the paradigm shift, realizations, etc., far more powerfully.

Perhaps quotations can start that thinking toward shift, but I think we get bombarded with such things and therefore, become numb to it.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This I can see. If one is generally bombarded outwardly or inwardly by words, it certainly effects the psyche not to mention the spirit and body.

I have seen this generally around the association of power, either by prayer or evoking. Part of this reminds me of a quote that states every word humans speak they will have to give account for why they said it. Which appears to state such a method(s) suppresses the necessary workings of the human being collectively (body, brain, spirit).

6. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

People often quote scripture to suggest that others are not practicing their religion "correctly." However, a person's true values are the ones he's internalized, not the ones he gives lip service to, so this practice is counter-productive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)