Why is religion so good and so bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

I think religion, just like money and marriage is as good and as bad as people can get.

1. profile image55
      (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religion can be good?

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

see the Mark v Luke 'gospel', might shed some light.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not for you, no. That would be outside the realm of possibility. By the way, go feed the starving children in the world. Don't waste your time here. OH wait. You're still here. Feed the world, make it a better place. For you and for me and the entire human race...there are

people dying, if you care enough for the living

make a better place...for you and for me.

GET YER ASS MOVIN'! Buy a burger and feed one starving child! Then you'll see why some people love the groove of the love your neighbor mantra, they get high on that endorphin generating stuff that they don't have time to get morose on forums.

2. profile image52
      moverworxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi all,
      dont mixx  religion with good and  bad?

nothing is bad,its your thinking which is bad towards the religion,

one good thing abt religion is that it  create some faith in ur  heart,i am experienced while traveling with moverworx,it is the religion which  help me alot,
      so dont think abt negative always see positive
      tc

hear no evil,see no evil, speak no evil, right?

well, shadows are merely shadows, no need to get spooked by them. it is one directional light that causes them.

lottery winners react to sudden wealth according to their true nature.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64

marriage is as bad as the couple's mutual neurosis.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think there is anything to be said for the idea that we unconsciously choose partners who will exacerbate our personal neuroses for the express purpose of learning/growing? (As Carl Whitaker suggests)

I totally think we spot the once that contain lessons we haven't fully learned in life yes. So if your spouse is unbearable...well maybe so are you.

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64

we color neutral things with the lens of our own mind.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a great way to say this, and I agree wholeheartedly...I may borrow this little saying from time to time if you don't mind. smile

i think i borrowed that from somewhere else as well big_smile

2. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend ceciliabeltran

I also appreciate your above sentence.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

5. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

First, 4 posts in a row no reply is a record!
    Second, is that OP a rhetorical question?

I know right?

I didn't think of it as a rhetorical question but I guess it is.

1. profile image0

indeed, your post (four posts up) said it all.
        we can stretch out the finer points, but I think you know them.
        Clarity/Purity must come separate from the duality, or the divided duality, hemispheric quadrants, necessity. So long as their is an application of the condition, that plague will always be.

oh so that's what you mean when you say that....hmmm... clarity and purity is James speak for neutrality!

1. profile image0

neutrality/complacency? LOL.
            No, much the opposite, full engagement. Again without applying the Ism elements. Challenging? Yes. Impossible? No.

i agree with full engagement. But neutrality is an active orbit of energy as well. It is not directional though but circular.

you can see it in all neutral embodiments of nature.

the neuron.

left side, dendrites, lots of receptacles that suck neurochemicals  axons, one long branch sticking out of right side that transmit it. nueron body, round. it contains the thought and acts as a funnel towards the axon.

trees, same thing.

the roots will be sucking water below going further into darkness, while the leaves will be pushing out fruits, flowers and ever reaching towards the sun.But what is a trunk? What does a tree trunk do? the tree trunk separates the two opposing forces of the tree. cut a tree and what do you see...circular rings. the balance of push and pull that we can observe in stable units of nature. just like the sun, it is circular.

In this way, clarity is neutral in that it is mindful. it neither exists in past hurts nor is it too concerned with consequence.( or should I see conscience?) It is neither just sucking energy nor expending it. it is doing both in a cyclical way. If you have clarity of mind you become a medium for growth.

you become an allower. allowers validate a presence of truth in whatever form it takes. in this way the truth passes through his life undistorted by polarity.

1. profile image0

I am such an enabler! big_smile

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Religion is both good and bad cause Religion is a man made.

A relationship with God is brought about by God.
    So it is all good.

agree, as long as man is living in either side of dualities we will fail to see that all things our neutral except our choices.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Part of the problem is that very few parishners do not affect the change that is needed.  And that change would be to honestly examine itself.

1. profile image0

Indeed, keyword : parish. They sit and nod but that is as far as it goes. I would guess that 98% of all parishioners do not actively engage faith/belief, thus the spread of whatever the minister says goes aka doctrine. To question the doctrine(s), they need to be educated apart from it -and people just don't have the 'time'. Same with much of the parish of science. Most just go with it.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't find the words to say how much I agree.
            Just can't make my fingers type the words that I'd like to write.  The title of the topic says it all.
                SOo Good  and SOOooo bad.

Baaaaah...

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

good, religion sets boundaries; bad, religion sets boundaries

you got it!

2. profile image0
      TheSablirabposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religion is good in that it is, and should be, at it's core, comforting. People look to it because they find SOMETHING in it that is comforting, even if it turns out to be something that is not good (although, what is good? What is bad?). At it's core, religion should teach you to accept others for what they are, learn to love them, and respect who they are. You may not agree with everything they say, but you should still love and respect them all the same, because they bring something to the table.

Religion at it's worst - makes people twist and turn and do things that do not bring out the best in us. It makes us conqour lands and cities in the "name of our God"; it makes us punish others for something we were brought up believing is not good. Instead of embracing the differences in each and everyone of us, it can teach people to hate, because of what you were taught and leanred from a book.

8. kess profile image59
    kessposted 13 years ago

The good in religion is that in their blindness -they will always do the will of god  and their hypocrisy will be used to glorify Him that lives.

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

There is not one single good thing about being delusional. smile

I agree with this too. but that applies to everything, money, power, sex, superiority of any kind, better, smarter, more aware...all of these things can make one delusional. delusion by definition means the evidence is in front of you, yet you refuse to see it.

Delusion overcompensates by exaggerating one's faith, one's bliss over his own wealth, one's projection of sexuality, one's feelings of superiority to cover up for fears of the opposite.

10. errum fattah profile image61
    errum fattahposted 13 years ago

there's a truth behind it;
                      bad ppl always abuse good religion... e.g islam is a good religion but "BAD" people abuse it and blame it...but they dont look into their own created evil faith.. hmm

11. taliesin3339 profile image58
    taliesin3339posted 13 years ago

Religion is good in that it keeps people being altruistic and helping others. It helps to encourage morality in society in conjuction with the governments' laws. It is bad in the way that much of it is involved with blind dogma, believing in myths that should never make sense to an educated full-grown adult, and cause intolerance of other faiths. one particular religion comes to mind with the blind dogma, believing stuff thats absurd and intolerance for other belief systems, but i will not name it here in order to not offend. however, i do believe in a higher power, but organized religion is largely a lie and a tool used to control the masses.

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend taliesin3339

I also agree with you.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)