jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Miracle or Faith Destroyer??

1. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

"Touchdown Jesus Statue Latest Lightening Victim..."

Here's the link to the headlines:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/ … 8035.shtml

Note that "the statue erupted in flames. All that remains is a charred steel skeleton, its spindly arms stretched toward heaven, a gesture that once earned it the nickname "Touchdown Jesus."

Still seems to me that mortals have no idea what "God" is, let alone if there is one.

2. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

I, personally, don't "see" anything into it except weather conditions.  What intrigues me is that scores of religious and NON-religious are constantly "seeing" things in this event.  The non-believer sees it as lighthearted and almost as a "gotcha" sign from some unseen force.  That's twisted considering there is not supposed to be anything on the other side.  Some believers view it as a judgment on mankind.

As a believer I think that both above stated scenarios are nothing more than tactics of emotions.  The object was matter and was subject to an accident.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree !

3. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

And I agree with your view, actually. However, there are seemingly countless others who want to make more of it than a lightening strike, and add a lot of superstition to it.

4. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

With you guys on this, it was just lightning after all. We know why it got struck, it was "an act of god" In other words natural.

5. wychic profile image79
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Something about tall metal things, lightning just seems to like it. I guess someone forgot to inform the storm that that particular tall metal thing had the shape of what many people believe is a divine being, and so it shouldn't strike it. I guess the inter-office memo system needs some work?

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

6. brotheryochanan profile image59
    brotheryochananposted 6 years ago

Funny thing about (graven) images. Remember that brazen serpent god had moses construct when the firey serpents were biting the people (numbers 21) that brass image of the firey serpent they kept around for 400yrs and burnt incense unto it (2 kings 18:4)
    In the same christendom has many images that it keeps around and it says "oh its okay, we don't worship it". but fact is a fact, of course it is not an actual exact replica of jesus and therefore if one wants to be picky, its a graven image of a fraudulent jesus. This is a good example of where christianity in its zeal, misses the mark and actually transgresses the commandment of god.

Deuteronomy 4:15   Take you, therefore, good heed unto yourselves; for you saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Mt Horeb (Sinai) out of the midst of the fire:
      Deuteronomy 4:16   Lest you corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female,
      Deuteronomy 4:17   The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flies in the air,
      Deuteronomy 4:18   The likeness of any thing that crawls on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters:
      Deuteronomy 4:19   And lest thou lift up your eyes unto heaven, and when you see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, and should be moved to worship them, and serve them.

See any images of these around nowadays?
    Not sayin god struck the image, i could care less one way or the other, its so not important to me.
    But i wouldn't blame him lol.