jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

How far would you go for secularism?

1. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 6 years ago

My question comes after reading this blogpost:

http://nodogsoranglophones.blogspot.com … stroy.html

You are welcome to read it, but to save you from the mess that is Quebec politics I'll quote the relevant to my question sections here:

See, that just sounds like flat out fascism to me.  It made me think about to what extent your "garden variety atheist" would like to see secularism go.

I think that the division between religion, and state is important, but I think the extreme Louise Beaudoin is trying to go is just down right insane.

Thoughts?

1. leeberttea profile image61
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's simple, for governments to grasp ultimate power they first have to remove and reference to a power higher than that of the state. They don't want people thanking god for their good fortune, they want people to praise government!
      Of course they are going to evoke freedom and tolerance as their motive for this, how else could they get away with it?

True freedom is freedom to worship as you see fit, true tolerance is allowing you to display religious symbols of your belief. Don't be fooled, these plans to erase god from society is indeed a step towards fascism!

1. profile image68
        paarsurreyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi friend leeberttea

I agree with you.

Thanks

2. profile image68
        paarsurreyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you.
        Thanks

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Sounds a bit insane to me. What happened to "live and let live"? Are these things causing harm to people? -- especially the day cares and hospitals? Should we ban all cultural distinctions, too.

3. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

This is crazy talk. As much as I dislike religion, there are many fine people doing good work under the care of church organisations. Not all of them are religious either.

I am a non believer, and think that believing in a sky fairy because an old book says to is silly, but regardless of what people believe, if they are not harming others then let them get on with their work.
    I would not mind normal separation of church and state, but banning? Never! smile

4. wyanjen profile image90
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I'm not a casual garden variety atheist... I speak out against religion whenever possible.

"Live and let live" is how things should be, but when it comes to religion, the "let live" part often gets tossed out.

Anyway I'm not here to fight. I'm here to say that this entire agenda is asinine.

Any atheist who would condone this garbage is as whacko as the "religionists" they claim to stand against.

big_smile
    good topic.

5. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 6 years ago

See, that what I expected - more or less agreement that this woman is insane.  But then if there are still people voting for her, there must exist some people that agree.

6. profile image68
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

How far would you go for secularism?

Hi friends

To the extent it remains secular and equitable; I will support it.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Tough question.

My bank asks people to remove anything that covers their head and sunglasses.   Should that include religious garb?

I am a life long atheist.  I understand the reason for this kind of law, but I think I would rather have tolerance.

But that should include tolerance for nudists!

It's a sad day when I find myself agreeing with you, or you with me! Tolerance is key and I can tolerate just about anything, though that hat is questionable...

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Scary, isn't it?  The agreement, not the wig.  We probably also agree on gun control.

I only wear the wig to parties where I can scare conservatives..

Well it's effective! LOL

working