jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

is usa more religiously inclined than europe?

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

is usa more into religion as compared to europe?

1. jondav profile image65
      jondavposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The US just seems to be more vocal about it. Certain parts of Europe are equally devout.

2. McHamlet profile image61
      McHamletposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes. Coming from Europe (Ireland) I can tell you it's not a very religious place in general, although there is variation amongst different countries. But the most telling difference is not whether people express some religious belief or not but the different type of belief they express. Very few European Christians would credit the idea that the Bible is literally true, but in America a large percentage (around half to the best of my knowledge) do. Many Europeans ridicule Americans for that reason.  I think that's an unhelpful and divisive approach, but its common in Europe. Related to this, is the fact that Evolution is non-controversial over here. I never heard of its teaching being opposed anywhere in Europe. In Britain, an advisor for the last Labour government made the famous comment "We don't do religion" and that's how European politicians tend to play it. To treat it as a private matter and not a way to win votes. So to reiterate, the evidence seems to point to the USA being much more into religion than Europe on the whole and particularly, in terms of Christianity, into a more literal view of the Bible.

3. 0
      china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No - it is less religious.  But it makes the loudest noise about its religious products such as homophobia, racism (and war in general) among a myriad other little issues that stir up the stupid in pursuit of some petty tyrants selfish aims.

1. Sab Oh profile image60
        Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"No - it is less religious. "

And you base this determination on ~ ?

2. premierkj profile image80
    premierkjposted 6 years ago

I can't be sure about the US but from reading the forums, which are mainly the thoughts of Americans, I think the answer is yes. In Ireland churches are half empty with mostly elderly people. Young people have figured out the Catholic church for what it is and the church will be extinct here in the next one hundred years if not sooner.

3. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 6 years ago

Yes, we are.

4. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago

No, I think the religious people in America just like to pray ostentatiously in the streets (or on TV).

I imagine that there are about equal percentages of faithful* people in Europe and the US.

*Note that there's a distinction.

5. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

Britain is definitely less religiously enclined than America, in terms of the number of people who go to church, the role religion plays in politics and so on.

But Eurpoe is lots of very different countries, so you can't really talk about it culturally as being a single block. Spain, Italy, Ireland and other countries are much more religious than Britain, although I don't know enough to compare them to America.

1. pisean282311 profile image59
      pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this