Are there, as some claim, many truths?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Dave Barnett profile image58
    Dave Barnettposted 13 years ago

I've heard it, maybe you have too. You may have possibly said it yourself, I know I did. The fact is this: There is only one truth, but the truth can be spoken about an infinite number of things. I beleive that we are here to find that truth that can be said to be universal. The truth that is just as valid for me as it is for you as it is for a child in china or an aborigine in africa, and until we find that truth, none of us will leave the reality that we are in. Follow my tract, because it's going where few would expect it to. Keep smilin'

1. fresnavee profile image58
      fresnaveeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sincerely believe in the same thing. There is one truth spoken many ways, or rather, spoken in many incomplete ways because no one knows The One Truth.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why does everyone say that? No one knows the "one" truth.

You are kidding right?

I wrote a hub about the misconception- truth versus perspective truth. People continue to believe that just because they cannot find the truth themselves or do not recognize it, then other people(individuals) are going to have the exact same problem.

It is a poorly made assumption.

Truth is universal. It is dismissed because of religious beliefs and negative thinking people, who would rather not be part of humanity than be connected.

1. luvpassion profile image62
          luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, The Universal Law of Cause and Effect is one truth that determines the experiences we are creating for ourselves.

There others, you decide which to believe.

2. Dave Barnett profile image58
        Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That one is locked inside us

2. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, there are many truths. Truth like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Truth is a matter of perspective. Even what seems to be an absolute truth can be questioned. For example, we all need oxygen to live. Do we really? That depends on how you define living. Are we really alive? What happens if we stop breathing> Is that the end of life or the beginning of a new phase of living? Each of these questions will have different answers when asked of different individuals and each answer will be a truth, and a falsehood depending on who is to make the judgement.

A complete waste of space. Your entire statement. WOW! lol

2. Dave Barnett profile image58

Truth supersedes us, is not reliant on our pitiful opinions, beleifs, or even perspective, if it can be called universal. There are some things concerning us as sentient beings which cannot be relegated to mere opinion, and cops at a car accident would agree, that every perspective can be valid in it's own way, but the truth remains somewhere between them.

3. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is one universal truth that is expressed in a multitudes of ways. Us Christians believe that possessing the Holy Spirit one immediately knows the one truth. He knows God who created us and all other.

lol lol lol

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
          ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why are you laughing at his construct?

I found it amusing. Hence, laughter.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
              ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

which part in particular?

2. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true wilmiers77

4. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

I think that truths about things lead to one Universal Truth; which leads to the Creator-God Allah YHWH and in this sense it is a name or an attribute of Him. Naturally He is the same in every part of the world and in every part of the Universe.

This is what I understand; others could understand it differently with reasons, if they have any.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

(swoon)

You had me at are...smile

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Good question.
    What came to my mind as I read this is that there is only one truth.

Posibly there is only one place from which we can see all of that one truth.

Posibly we are wasting our time searching for that one truth.
    We might should be searching for that one position from which we can see all sides of the one truth?

1. profile image52
      fallenangel666posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what you're all taking but can you give me some please?

4. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

If there were objective truths, wouldn't all have came together and agreed on them by now? We still argue about what shape the earth is.

1. profile image52

That's exactly what I'm talking about, why keep it to yourself? Give me some so that I can start tripping too.

1. TruthDebater profile image53
        TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you lost me. What is tripping?

1. profile image52

It's when the sensual right hand hemisphere of the brain completely overides the left hand analytical hemisphere of the brain, leading to the stimulation of receptor sites which have nothing to do with reality.

1. TruthDebater profile image53

Ah, thanks. I thought you was talking about eating mushrooms or something. I agree, the subjective is our reality.

1. profile image52

Some people are lucky, they don't need magic mushrooms or LSD to trip, they are genetically predispositioned to fantasise.

2. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean like belief in a sky fairy? smile

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Jerami wrote:
       Good question.
    What came to my mind as I read this is that there is only one truth.

Posibly there is only one place from which we can see all of that one truth.

Posibly we are wasting our time searching for that one truth.
    We might should be searching for that one position from which we can see all sides of the one truth?
    =========
    fallenangel666  said   
    I don't know what you're all taking but can you give me some please?
    ================================================================

It is kinda like the difference between playing football, and having a view from the top row in the stands.
       Yea the quarter back can see the centers butt better than you can...  But you can see that the line backer is goina be coming around the tight end and get him.

All the players can see those things that they see better than you can.  But you can see a little bit of what everyone sees

Sorry I don't have anything to share..  this must be natural

1. profile image52

Sorry I'm English, can you make the analogy with cricket please.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I don't eat crickets.

Just kidding ... but I don't know enough about cricket.  sorry

1. profile image52

It's like when the late Stephen Jay Gould tried to use baseball as an analogy for his belief in atheism, not exactly Universal is it. Anyway, what the hell has boring sport got to do with the human condition, it's just a tame form of war fare, the kind of people who indulge in war have nothing to contribute to the expansion of human knowledge.

The comparison wasn't in the game.
                The comparison was from the spectators prospective.

Ya cain't know how the game goes unless you get to watch it.

What can you know about the game if you only see the game from only one of the cricket players prospective.
                 Each player sees a diffrent reality.
                 To hear them all tell their side of it, you might not know that they were at the same game

A very attentive spectator gets to see the game from all of the players perspective at once.

1. profile image52

Sorry I didn't mean to seem facetious, of course you have a relevant point, we are individuals and that's what makes us human, I wouldn't want to end up in a world where everyone thought exactly the same thing. Just like our physiological variation our cognitive variation is what makes us intresting, but still I cannot help leaning towards the more rational interpretations, even though I accept the limits of rationality. No matter what we believe we are all equal in terms of our humanity.

You were OK..  And no I wouldn't like life so much if everyone was the same.  And I wouldn't want to have an overview of how everyone was thinking either.
                     But if ya did? I bet that you would know the one real truth.   And still no one would believe ya.

1. profile image52

Of course no one would believe you, I'm not religious but all that would happen to you is what happened to Jesus.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

The universal truth is - everybody have their own one smile

7. neorane profile image61
    neoraneposted 13 years ago

I heard someone say once that Truth is eternal and absolute, but man's understanding is what is relative. I think it is black and white. All grey is light black.  You cannot take a true premise and add a false one and expect to get a pure result. Nor two false ones and come up with a true one, no matter you method of logic.

8. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

There is one Truth and I am it.

For I am God and son of God and we are all one ... Truth

we are all god. We create and destroy our own creations. We upset the balance of the planet, and have taken a garden and turned it into a landfill. We hold it in our hand to destroy everything, and are hell bent (no pun intended) to do it. We decide who lives and who dies.

9. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

The truth is out there and that is why life evolved. To have better and better ways to ascertain the outside world. Epigenetics is about that. Feedback, Response, Revision. That's how we evolve. We want to improve our mental construct of reality.

Our reality is based upon our need. We can only perceive relative to our biological necessities. For instance, black and white is not black and white in a different light.

In photography this is very obvious. Black and White is dependent on what you assign as 18% gray. Put 18% on a white board and white will become grey and grey will become black. So what is the true reality outside that?

A more concrete example. The Cosmos. Gasses look different now that we are using better "eyes". They used to be vague backdrops to the stars. But now they are almost exactly like clouds. The imaging technology has changed but then and now are two true representations of the truth.

So I guess what I am trying to say yes, truth is relative to the eyes of the beholder.

But beyond that is the truth above what the eyes can see.

10. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Did I kill this thread or was it dead to begin with?

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

The Truth Is Out There......

Mulder to Scully - X Files

12. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

To me, a True religion is unity.  Do the believers all believe one thing?  Is the religion unified or are there sects?  There is but one truth.  I can believe if I follow my highway by my house I will end up in London, just believing it does not make it so.  The Bible has ONE message and one only.

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

why you care, is beyond me - look around you and really SEE the world, all that's in it, all the people and how they live and prosper - it's not all about what YOU believe, whether you like it or not!

13. Deaconess profile image60
    Deaconessposted 13 years ago

Siddhartha Guatoma explained that there are two types of truth... the relative and the absolute... the relative changes according to one's perspective... the absolute does not change no matter what perspective one views it with... if a truth can be debated, then it is by no means, absolute and should not be considered as such.

For example, I can point to this tree outside my window and say that it is a tree. Can someone argue with me about it? We could perhaps debate about what kind of tree it is, whether it is big or small, what the differences are between a tree and a bush, the usefulness or uselessness of it, its ultimate purpose, how it came to be, what language possesses the proper name for it, or about what "defines" a tree... but as far as it being a "tree" it is what it is, and if there is no doubt that each and every person in this world would also agree that it is a tree, then the absolute truth is that what I am pointing at is a tree.

And so... because we can still debate God... this just goes to show that NONE of us, so far, know the absolute truth about him/her/whatever (or as the God of my relative truth conveyed to Moses, whose mind interpreted as thus: "I am what I am.")

14. Deaconess profile image60
    Deaconessposted 13 years ago

Is there anything about the higher powers that be, that we can all agree on? Even a very simple thing? That would be a good start I think.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. This is why the ridiculous belief in a higher power will always cause ill will and conflicts.

How about acknowledging that there is no higher power? wink

1. Deaconess profile image60
        Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about this: There is a natural order to things. Is this something that we can all agree to?

I see no natural order to things. What makes you say there is?

Things just are - how about that?

Hmmm. I see it everywhere and in all things... albeit that order can be interrupted and often is... and yet those interruptions continue to follow the natural order of its results.

Now... here is where relative truth steps in, as you likely have already surmised... as our perspectives of what natural order is varied.

Realizing 'Absolute Truth' is quite a feat... I take the Buddha's discourse on it as a dare... to find it.

Ah - so you claim to know the way things "should" be and can identify when the "natural order" has been interrupted. How clever of you.

In that case - there is no natural order of things, surely?

You are making an assumption that it is there. That is not to say there is no worth in looking to see if it is. I do it all the time, but am fairly certain there is no such thing.

Seems to me you are making a semantic argument in order to substantiate the truth that you already have. wink

No, I do not make such claims... what I mean by natural order... are the natural laws that govern existence... and the one that stands out he most for me is the first law of thermodynamics.

I somehow thought it might. lol lol You are pretty certain this is inviolate then?

2. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, we establish that a gods existence is highly improbable based on what we have as evidence and no one can speculate anything about their existence, let alone any characteristics.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't you making speculations on a gods characteristics, as well as starting from the premise he already exists? Doesn't that contradict the post above about knowing anything about gods?

Or, are you just quoting from the bible and are indifferent to it?

That's a wee bit vague. I'm assuming by 'natural' you mean nature, but what to you mean when you say 'order?' And, what order do you see in nature?

Could you be more specific? smile

2. TruthDebater profile image53

I agree there is a natural or deterministic order, but I think there is also free will in uncertainty and randomness.

My first intellectual response to this, is that uncertainty and randomness is the result of free will.

There is a Hebrew phrase, "tohu va'bohu" which has an obscure meaning, and is often translated as uncertaintly and/or randomness. In the scripture, it is translated as "void and empty" which is what covered the earth before God decided to do something with it... which we could conclude means that tohu va'bohu is what happens to something when God has nothing to do with it.

And this brings me to the Hebrew word khet... which, if you can wrap your mind around this, can be translated as: sin, life, and free will. And if you wonder how this can be... it is because the true meaning of the word is: "Separation from God"... sin is an action or state of being that is "away from God"; free will is our functioning "independently from God"; life results from our coming or being brought forth in "individuality from God."

I knew this would be educational! Deaconess, your explanation is elegant. This points up what I have stated in other forums, that there is "Free will, or God's will", that by accepting God, one surrenders the placement of their steps, therefore, their path changes, and they become submissive to the will of God. I believe that this also requires our ego to be virtually slain within us. We become humbled.

15. profile image55
    fionadeogposted 13 years ago

The truth may be is only one, but human interpretation makes it many from different perspectives, and by different people.......

I believe that it all forms a complete picture, and that is the one truth. There is evidence that there was a single belief which all others have evolved from.

16. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Are there, as some claim, many truths?

Hi friends

There can be only ONE absolute TRUTH; as there is only one Creator- God Allah YHWH. Al-Haqq means truth, which is an attribute of Him.

There cannot be many creators of this Univese; if there would be many; it will end in chaos; but it runs smoothly in systems and He sustains it.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

but that is ur truth..truth based on religion u were born in..in same way there can be other truth for other person..i guess that is what originator of the thread meant by many truths..depending on who u r , from where u r , where u born , which religion u lived in etc etc one creates a perception and view through which he/she defines truth..it varies..whole truth would be one but it might be different from what u or me believe to be truth...

2. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't he have had some old drinking buddies to help? You know, like carry building blocks and such?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)