If a sin is a sin; then when why is it so many people judge?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Sundaymoments profile image60
    Sundaymomentsposted 13 years ago

If a sin is a sin and not one is greater than the next why is it so many believers and non believers convict and judge each other?

Is it truly because we as Christians fear that the one we are judging may see our sin and lust of the world? What is your thoughts on this subject

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that most Christian sects do consider some sins more serious than others.

Sundaymomentsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right however if the Bible says that a sin is a sin what gives them {"The Sects"} the right to catagorize a sin when the word says a sin is a sin not one worse than the other? Is it about religious control and power?

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Judge not, lest ye be judged." Thus sayeth My Lord Jesus Christ. It is wrong for one to judge another unless one is perfect and has never sinned. The only person who could claim this was Jesus Christ.

Very well said David; I know what you have said is scriptural do you know the exact scripture?

3. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is telling someone you think they are doing something unhelpful, or harmful to themselves or others, judging? There's a fine line between being someone's judge, and being someone's friend.

In my opinion a friend will be honest, but respect that we must ultimately make our own decisions. Sometimes friends can't live with the decisions we make, and vice versa, but love and respect doesn't always equal agreement and neither should it.

A judge in my opinion is more likely to try to condemn us for a decision we make, or try to determine how we should be 'punished'. But that implies the person judging has greater wisdom or authority. That might be the case if it's an adult instructing a child, but among peers it's rather disrespectful in my opinion.

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its part of mechanizing info in the brain. you get quick assessments of most likely nature and you make a decision. Its very neutral.

However, some people do not have enough knowledge about human nature that they generalize nuances and make a mistake.

that is why sherlock holmes a great detective as well as hercule poirot and batmann. they are more aware of subtle nuances.

stupid ignorant people make the most horrible mistakes in profiling.

5. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All sins are not equal.  Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit carries the stiffest penalty, including absolutely no forgiveness and a guarantee of eternal roasting in hell--no matter what!

6. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I became a born-again Christian, at the age of fifteen, I remember being told that the proof of the Word was not in some argument or persuasive power of the message, but in the fundamental difference between people who had accepted Jesus into their lives and those who hadn't - namely that the transformative power of Christ was there to see in their actions.

Except it wasn't. Christians judge as much as anyone else.

Isnt Jesus the only one that has the right to Judge?

7. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hypocrisy, self-glorification, placing one's self role into the place of God, person thinking they know better than God,  projecting one's own sin upon others, etc.....
      Each person should deal with their OWN sins before God. The mirror is a scary place for people to look at. Easier to look at others. And feels better and more righteous.

Very well said Mr. Willis!!

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Maybe it's because of rude presumptive words like sin, which do not apply to anyone who is not religious.

Sin is a religious concept. smile

earnesthub you always have a way of making things so practical {LOL}!

3. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 13 years ago

For the reason Jesus said to remove the beam from our own eye before removing the splinter from our brothers.We see others when we look about life.Our eyes do not see ourselves.To see our own faults takes self examination and effort.Much easier to point at someone else.

Very well said Over The Hill

4. kess profile image61
    kessposted 13 years ago

Sin is absolutely nothing except to the sinners who make it into something.

Those who walk by faith cannot sin because to the faithful sin cannot nor will ever exist.

So when you see another as a sinner you are actually seeing sin in your ownself which you yourself have created..

Therefore Judge not for when ever you judge another you actually condemn yourself........

Sin is the pepetuation of the double-mindedess, which still eat of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. While forsaking the tree of Life(TRUTH).

Perfection is achieved when you eye become single and sees all things as GOOD....

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Because it's fun to judge.  Who doesn't want to feel superior to others?  That's good stuff.  If we resort to introspection and monitoring our own behavior... well, ewww, that will probably mean we have to change that behavior or risk feeling guilty for how selfish and asinine we have become.  That's why I'm judging every chance I get.  Strike first, strike fast, be convincing while you do it so you hold the attention of the mob (sophistry, obfuscation, and all other forms of deception are critical).  'Long as they are tossing rocks at that guy over there, they ain't tossing them at me.  big_smile

1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
      C.V.Rajanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one!

:]

6. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

He who throws the first stone had best be accurate and have selected a good heavy one...

7. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

What exactly do people mean by judging? Of course we judge, we want to show good judgment! People who don't notice others doing something wrong or detrimental are missing something in the brain. What about judging a criminal? Criminal activity disrupts our society and makes it unsafe, of course we need to judge.

I thought Jesus was referring to whether or not someone's heart was 'right before God' in which case, we can't know. That's the only judging that doesn't make sense. Even seeing people teach their children to shoplift may not be as horrible as we think if you realize the person is doing all they can to make sure their child doesn't have to suffer by going without what they need. If the parent believes the world is evil and rotten, they teach their child to get what they want no matter how they have to do it. Wrong? Illegal? Detrimental to society? Yes. But evilly against God and all good? Not necessarily - that's what we don't necessarily know.

8. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Christian are suppose to judge sin but not the sinner-(which something we as believers and non-believers have a hard time doing).  How can one tell right from wrong if something isn't judged right or wrong.

The judgement, the real judgement will be done by the Christ on judgement day when we will stand before him and give account of our life.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People pass judgement every time they insist "we are all going to stand before my god and give him account for our life."

I won't be standing before anybody's god.

I don't do religion, and sin is a religious word.

1. SpanStar profile image59
        SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Earnestshub,

you are free to believe what you like as are most people like some figthers who believe they can get back in the ring and once again be world champion-sometimes that happen but most that believe they can shortly retire again.  Some people think they will land safetly after jumping out of a plane or base jumping but the reality is not matter how hard some believe they find themselves praying  they don't meet their on by hitting the ground.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are free to believe whatever you like. Fortunately it is nonsense and no one will be doing any judging. You are welcome to your fears if they make you feel better, although I wonder why you feel the need to try and persuade other people to be afraid also?

You need to read what I said again, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything, it seems to me the ones that appear to be trying to do the persuading are the nonbelievers who are constantly crisising the believers.  If nonbelievers choose to live in fear then that's their choice and they are free to do so but don't lay whatever guilt they have for doing so at my feet.

Dear me. You said:

Why do you now feel the need to lie? You are clearly threatening everyone with this nonsense.

I mean - you do realize this is a threat right?

You believe whatever you want. But - please do not spread your fear and threats of judgment by Christ. As I said - if it makes you feel better to believe this nonsense - be my guest. Not sure why you feel the need to share it with everyone else.

Why do you feel the need to threaten everyone else with this?

First of all I don't need your approval to believe as I feel.  If you thinking that salvation is a threat you need to check a dictionary sometime quick.  No body is making your are anyone who thinks like you to do anything so once again you are conjurring images that you alone don't won't to deal with so may you should stop dictating to others what they should do and work on your on issues.

I see. So "judgment" has majikally become "salvation."?

I am confused because you threatened:

I do not see the word "salvation," here. Do you? I am thinking you are the one needs a dictionary. And some ethical standards perhaps? wink

As I say - You go ahead and believe whatever it is that makes you feel better about yourself. But - please do not try and drag me into your delusion.

Why do you feel the need to lie about what you actually said and threaten people with the need to "give account of our life"?

Do you think this "account of your life" will stand you in good stead?

"Threatened 987 non believers with eternal damnation, tick.
                  Used semantics to prove Jesus loves us 879 times, tick.
                  Lied about wot I really said 887 times to prove the Lord Loves us if we do what I said it says, tick."

Deary me. sad

Tell me guy wheres this so-call threat you keep fearing coming from in my writing.  The issues spoke up are written in the bible Now you have the option to believe or not believe but no body is threating you so this delusion you're speaking of is really coming out in your writing.  Are you now when someone shows up at your door and with a 38 in hand says you're going to believe the bible then you;'re threaten but what you're talking about now is just plain crock.

9. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

One thing I notice is that most people have the following attitude in common (including me).

"Whatever I do is the benchmark. If I do it, it's okay; it's acceptable; even if it is called a sin, it's not too bad; after all I am a human being and I am not God. But I have some standards; Definitely I cannot accept what xxx and yyy are doing as right. It's real bad. I don't think God will accept what they do"

CV

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is right  ..  and ....  I have a good excuse for why it is OK for me.  I don't see any good excuses that they could have.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Judging others is futile and unfair. You don't know all the circumstances surrounding an individual's actions.

Like some comic said, "Don't judge people until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then you'll have a free pair of shoes, and you'll be too far away from them for them to do anything about your stealing their shoes."

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

ego, control. hmm  ignorance, misunderstanding

I don't really care what people believe if you treat others with respect. live your life and be a good person. respect the fact that not everyone believes as you.

12. bobskeyboardz profile image59
    bobskeyboardzposted 13 years ago

fame is one of the greatest feelings but if your unhappy, forget fame and worry about your needs.

13. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Why worry about it, be like me, we Pagans believe that Life is for living and should be celebrated every day we are alive not wasted trying to appease some nonexistent deity just because someone told you, you must.

By Christian standards everything I like is either Immoral, Illegal or Fattening, don’t see me rushing to confession, nor do you ever see me surrounded in self doubt or trying to second guess what happens next.

14. SpanStar profile image59

Well Mark Knowles,

I believe we've beaten that dead horse enough time and I don't think you have anything that's profound worth exploring so you continue to believe in whatever it is you believe in-(don't take that as a threat) and I'll continue to believe in the faith provided by God the Almighty and don't let that frighten you because he gave us all the freedom to choose.

Cannot answer the question? OK - I don't blame you. I am not frightened. Your ridiculous threats of judgment are laughable.

I would still like to know why you feel the need to threaten so?

Does it make you feel as though you have some authority?

I just received this in the e-mail I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate it Knowles

In a Thurmont, Maryland , cemetery:

Here lies

an Atheist

All dressed up and

no place to go.

1. getitrite profile image70

That's funny, and true.  However, when you die, you are not going anyplace either. sad

I'll let you tell God That.

That has no sensible meaning to me.  Unless you have irrefutable evidence of Your particular God and His dogma, then I'm gonna take that as an absurd threat, with no credible basis, except for childish fantasy.

And, then, I will put the threat back to you:

I'll let you explain why you chose to be
              an Infidel, to Allah.

15. SpanStar profile image59

Why don't you prove God doesn't exist and then we both go to the grave knowing that all of mankind was nothing but an accident.

I will do that, right after you prove that Allah, Buddha, Zeus, Appollo, Vishnu and the Ju Ju doesn't exist.

You see you could be making an eternal mistake, as well.

What if we get to the afterlife and find out that it's really true that Islam is the only way to God?  OMG!

That could have SERIOUS consequences.

16. SpanStar profile image59

Who ever you want to believe in is your business because you see I don't care who you believe in and you don't see me asking about your God or putting you down for it.

Now to prove that the God I believe in lives, it's my understanding that of all the Gods only my Saviour has an empty tumb, you won't find his remains in that tumb.

Your Turn....Prove my God Doesn't Exist.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What the Hell are you talking about ?

17. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Sundaymoments wrote:
    If a sin is a sin and not one is greater than the next why is it so many believers and non believers convict and judge each other?

Is it truly because we as Christians fear that the one we are judging may see our sin and lust of the world? What is your thoughts on this subject
    ========================================
    Judging is a sin so I guess we are all sinners ... that is why we do it,  We can't leave not one sin undone; maybe?.

Good night yaul

18. SpanStar profile image59

getitrite,

It doesn't look like you've lived up to proving my God doesn't exist.  With all these vile statements you make towards other people's religion I thought this would be an easy thing for you to do.

I notice you made this statement:
    Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit carries the stiffest penalty, including absolutely no forgiveness and a guarantee of eternal roasting in hell--no matter what!

Question: If after one is dead and they make a mistake then will this hateful god of your send them to hell even then?

This is the same old tired argument that your leaders have taught you to respond with, as a catch all, so to speak.

You and I know that no one can prove a negative.  But if you have any rational skills when it comes to discerning reality, some things must be regarded as improbable or nonsensical.

Stop putting the burden on me to prove your nonsensical deity doesn't exist.  It is self-evident that your beliefs are very nonsensical and extremely improbable.

Just because I can't prove your God doesn't exist does not mean it defaults to a victory for your absurd and childish distortion of reality.

In my opinion, your belief is a form of psychosis.  There is no evidence of a God, and the bible has been proven to be a lie(unless we live in Bizarro World) yet you still believe, with conviction, in this foolishness.

You are even willing to lie and use tricks to support your delusion.  It is my wish that you, one day, find treatment for this affliction.

19. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

This is about why people judge or atheism versus theism again?

20. SpanStar profile image59

How is it that people like you think You Are Always Right??  Where Do You People Come From?

If You Couldn't Prove What You Said You Could Prove THEN WHO IS REALLY THE LIAR HERE??

Whatever you believe you don't see me busting a blood vessel over it so what are you so concern with the idea that I can believe in my God The Same As You-  That Is What I See As Crazy.  Hating Others Because They Don't Believe In What You Believe In Is My understand of a cult.

It belief like mine upsets people like you then I can't understand why your country does do what China did years ago, shut itself off from the rest of the world then you wouldn't have to deal with those that don't look like you, think like, act like, well you know the rest.

Using the Strawman Fallacy I see.

If you go back through my post, you will see that I never said I would prove anything--UNTIL you prove the nonexistence of Allah and the other Gods.

YOU HAVE NOT DONE THAT!

THE BURDEN IS STILL ON YOU.  YOU CAN'T ASK ME TO DO MY PART WHEN YOU HAVE NOT SATISFIED YOUR PART OF MY PROPOSITION.

So when you prove that Allah and all the other Gods don't exist, then I will be able to use your method to prove that your God does not exist either.

An alleged empty tomb, corroborated by sketchy "eyewitnesses" in an ancient text, does not count.

You need to stop being so angry, then maybe you could pay closer attention to the discussion.  Don't burst a blood vessel over it!

After carefully going back, and re-reading my post, I don't see where I have told a lie.  So this casts you as the liar for implying that I lied, since I clearly have not.

And all because you refuse to take responsibility, and prove that Allah AND OTHER GODS ARE NONEXISTENT.  I, clearly, prefaced this.

21. SpanStar profile image59

I never said anything about god being dead or alive, but I don't have time to do your work for you, spend my time showing you evidents of the truth which we all no if you were to see it you would deny it why don't you get started on this list and let me know how you're progressing.

Aphrodite
    Apollo
    Ares
    Artemis
    Athena
    Demeter
    Dionysus
    Hades
    Hephaestus
    Hera
    Hermes
    Hestia
    Poseidon
    Zeus
    SEMI-GODS

listening to your conversation let's me know you have plenty of time to work it.

...then I don't understand why, earlier, you wrote this:
      http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/camperjones/down_arrow.gif

Your contradictions are pathological.

At this point I'm going to have to declare these responses unqualified to be reasonable enough or honest enough to participate in any argument, debate, or discussion.

I respectfully withdraw from this exchange, and thank you for your attempt at this game.  Have a peaceful day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)