Was Jesus Sane or Insane?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

I recently began reading a book that makes a good case for Jesus. I highly disagree with the Christian religion along with every other religion I have encountered. The author of the book makes a good case, either Jesus was sane and taught good morals, or Jesus was insane and delusional with everything he said being a lie. Can an insane person teach good morals? As for the resurrection and what is written as truth, I am still highly skeptical. Does it make sense that so many after Jesus should believe when the ones alive during his time didn't believe?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whether or not, Jesus was sane or insane? He was sane and taught life knowledge to peasants(or anyone who would listen), so as to instill integrity into them, so as to bring forth a moral code of conduct for living life.

A truly insane person cannot teach anyone anything.
      As you should be.
      Jesus' message has been manipulated by man, so as to control the masses, via the 'god' concept. Hence, why "Christianity" came a great many years after Jesus was executed for no crime. The "kingdom of god" that Jesus spoke of, was all about consciously controlling your own life, through the use of integrity in action. Be a master of self, love thy self and have compassion for those who cannot help themselves.

That's my take on it.

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. If he did all of those things without being the son and way to God, it sounds like a good person. If he did make the claims about being the son of God and lied, his entire life with everything he taught was a lie if a resurrection never happened. What makes you believe he did never claim being the way to God?

I would think so too.
          Actually, when you look at the time which Jesus lived and those who were in power, which was a religious political type structure, and the fact that Jesus was executed for no crime, should show you the extent at which those in power would go to, to keep their truth the only truth.

Realizing that, then you can understand why Jesus spoke like he did and what "claims" he was to have made? Please also remember, one key fact about religion- the language(primitive) was based on religious connotations and developed the metaphor about that time. So, when Jesus made statements, such as "kingdom of god" or "god is within you", he wanted people to take control of their life. Jesus spoke in metaphors and parables, so as to confuse those who were god-kings who ruled. He message was coded in the religious language and the translation to other languages(words do not exist, so other words that mean the same were used), is just one problem.

As for the resurrection? Was made up by the religious in power, so as to give Jesus credit for having god-like powers.

Thanks. What do you mean executed for no crime? I thought the crime was blasphemy. If no said crime, what did they tell people of why they were executing him at that time? If he was only speaking in metaphors rather than literally, wouldn't he have told his peers or the ones convicting him that he wasn't talking about a god in heaven? If he did speak in metaphors while not telling his true meaning, this would make him a liar as well.

Blasphemy? Jesus told them they in certain words, that they gave praise or followed a false idol. Remember, these were conscious people who were manipulating and enslaving those who did not know any better.
              There really was no crime and blasphemy isn't illegal, but because of the religious political structure, any sort of consideration could be deemed as blasphemy against whatever god the god-kings suited to their rule. Again, sure lie to the people and it continues.
              Don't confuse living now, with living then. Metaphors and Literal??? Think about it. Metaphors were the only linguistic tool to use to describe something else. Literal?? wasn't even a word that existed then, in any language.
              The primitive language is all there was to work with, religious connotations and metaphors? Do you care to try and explain something to someone using only those two tools? I know I wouldn't. Especially, at the time he lived.

2. ProfessorProveIt profile image57
      ProfessorProveItposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is just another example of someone trying to stir up sh** and get attention.

Says the one liner.

1. ProfessorProveIt profile image57
          ProfessorProveItposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  No sense in wasting people's time.  I call 'em the way I see 'em.  There ya go!  I just wasted more time with an entire paragraph.

3. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sane or insane?

Are you??
      http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif

2. bsscorpio8 profile image60
    bsscorpio8posted 13 years ago

Perhaps.

Very detailed response. Thanks

1. bsscorpio8 profile image60
        bsscorpio8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the most detailed responses require simplicity.You are very welcome.

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

big_smile  this should get interesting.

4. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

I don't know if there was a real Jesus, or if he ever uttered a word of what is assigned to him in the bible, however, the Jesus character depicted in the bible would be treated for Psychosis by today's medical professionals.

Psychosis:  a loss of contact with reality, usually including false ideas about what is taking place or who one is (delusions) and seeing or hearing things that aren't there (hallucinations)

Thanks. As far as psychosis, what would the doctors say if witnessing the predicted death and resurrection? I don't think a person could be judged psychotic if their predictions come true. But that is a whole different subject, it's hard enough trying to find out if he ever existed in the first place, so you could be right. If we both imagined he did in fact exist, could a person with psychosis become one of the biggest role models in our time?

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm Right.

If those predictions of death and resurrection came true, then it would be a reality that none of us could fathom.  In the world that we live in, dead people always remain dead--no exceptions.  Anyone asserting that he has the power to resurrect himself, then, would be, immediately, assumed to be insane.

A psychotic person could, very well become a role model.  It is according to how many people are gullible and fearful enough to believe his delusional assertions.

Still, the psychotic role model is not what he says he is, however, to the believer, he is their only hope, because they, too, have become delusional, from our state sponsored indoctrination.

The delusion is based primarily on fear, because all of us know that this story of Jesus, God, virgin births, and resurrections is abject nonsense.

Do you believe that this is the only reality that exist,that there is nothing beyond what YOU see and feel? How do you know about the dead?Have you ever been dead? If Jesus was Psychotic,who deemed him so? Perhaps those who deemed him psychotic were psychotic themselves.Some say that psychotics are closer to the truth than those who are considered sane. You know,they,"broke on through to the other side."

1. getitrite profile image71
            getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there are other realities, however, I live in this one. If you prefer, you can live in any reality you want.

How many times will this type of logic be put forth, as if somehow it has some validity.  It is known that nothing can be proven, ABSOLUTELY.  But when individuals assert things that defy the laws of our everyday existence, it is to be taken as only conjecture. 

The only reason that the resurrection story has any validity is the alleged accounts of the alleged witnesses. To live ones life based on an improbable and unobservable conjecture doesn't make much sense.

Furthermore if you have so much faith that the dead can be resurrected, why don't you try the experiment using yourself as the sacrifice?  Prove me wrong.

How do you know I haven't already experimented using myself? You don't,therefore,I have nothing to prove.This logic will be put forth probably as long as it has been around,and maybe even longer.YOUR everyday reality may not be OUR everyday reality.Does anything in the universe make ABSOLUTE sense? Is it supposed to? Furthermore,as the mind thinketh,so does it manifest.

Remember,the Bible IS a story.

2. TruthDebater profile image53

It's not always true that people remain dead, many have came back to life after death, just not 3 days after. I'm not going to try to prove a resurrection because I don't believe it. I agree that much of the belief is based on fear, but I think a lot is also based on love. I think many love their beliefs because it gives them purpose.

5. wilmiers77 profile image60
    wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

Jesus was very much sane. His mind is far advanced over even minds of today. I can understand you and people feeling this way because of the vast magnitude of His mind He at first sounds insane. In the scriptures are many witnesses that saw Jesus after His resurrection. It's the same or similar to reporting an UFQ today, and you know how that goes.

Why don't you think this way; the truth usually comes out after the passing of time. It has been over 2000 years with vast advancements in science, and no one has disproved the resurrect; no body has been found; no conspiracy has been forth coming that held water or even came close; instead, only confirming witnesses continually coming forth verifying His Truth.

I have never seen a UFQ,let alone a UFO.

Who is to question the sanity of or insanity of Jesus Christ? That is like not seeing the whole forest because one is concentrating on a single tree.Like Bruce Lee said,"don't look at my finger,or you will miss all of that heavenly glory." Or something like that.Remember,with Jesus,they killed the messenger,he left behind a simple message.

2. TruthDebater profile image53

Thanks. The time can be used both ways, you could say psychology also developed over time making the acts of Jesus seem highly unlikely. If a large crowd seen a UFO at the same time and agreed that it was unknown, who would be more believable, the large crowd immediately after the incident? Or their family members they passed the stories onto over generations?

If you will remember,UFO's were even spotted back then,in biblical times.

Yes, but which are more believable, those of the past or those on youtube?

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one has proven the resurrect either. Which means - by default - it is nonsense. 2000 years with vast attacks in science by religionists.

And still - you have no evidence. None. Just 2000 years of war. sad

Sorry. You must be very angry. LOL at the conforming witnesses and the capitals. lol lol lol

Morals? None.

6. bsscorpio8 profile image60
    bsscorpio8posted 13 years ago

Either could be equally credible,as a matter of fact,THEY COULD BE THE SAME ONES!

I agree, they could be. But most people of today prefer video over old scripts or rock carvings. Whichever has the most believers or the most details of that time is the most credible.

7. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

Does it actually matter?  Would it change anything?

Perhaps.

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

The jesus character is a watered down version of his father, without as much psychopathic murdering. smile

9. profile image54
    pladecqalvoposted 13 years ago

There is no verifiable evidence that he even existed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)