Are there any instances of humour in Scriptures?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (76 posts)
  1. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

Since the religion and belief threads are so often full of heated arguments on extremely sensitive issues, I was wondering if anyone knows of any instances of "light-heartedness" or of references to jokes or humour in Scriptures... surely not all authors were 100% somber and serious or were they?

Anyone?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When Jesus says Peter is the rock on which he will build the church, that counts as a pun.  Because Peter means rock.

1. lightning john profile image60
        lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh god

2. mythbuster profile image71
        mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm willing to ponder over this, psycheskinner...

Where might I find some info that coincides with your viewpoint?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"In the original Greek the word translated as "Peter" is Πέτρος (Petros) and that translated as "rock" is πέτρα (petra), two words that, while not identical, give an impression of one of many times when Jesus used a play on words."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primacy_of … .22Rock.22

2. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aldous Huxleys books he is controversial but has a superb sense of humor.
      I hvae humor in my work.

Any Huxley book in particular, mohitmisra? Do you have a favourite title?

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Yes mythbuster "Ape and Essence"
          I was laughing loudly while reading this book,Aldous Huxley is a genius.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are a couple verses when Christ is talking about sex, that always makes me chuckle.

4. wilmiers77 profile image61
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mythbuster, there is no jokes in the bible, but the reader is always humerus and funny looking.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Most humour goes over the head of religion and religionists, as do most things.
    It is now pretty well established that a low IQ is needed to believe the gumph! lol

1. wilmiers77 profile image61
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

earnestshub, one who has been tried by fire and is saved is serious as a heart attach.
      It's amazing how one's IQ drops when they are under the gun and fighting public scrutiny. But Boy! How it raises after the affairs. "Thank God, I made it" is the first sign of wisdom.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have thought that was the first sign of stupidity myself! lol

2. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and even lower iq's to believe in anybody else's: self-religion, religions that can't help a person, Loveless creationism, oh yah and other peoples failures. LOL where do i sign up for those! hahahaha! doh.. one and one is four.. ill take number 3, lol

Everybody knows most of the humor is in reading the unsaved peoples posts lol lol lol  hugs smile

I actually have a very high IQ and my EQ makes yours look infinitesimal! lol lol lol

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so you're smart enough to be just as indoctrinated as the rest? Jung Charismatic , Carlos Castaneda , Einstein, Hume or even Dawkins are still parallels of a Babylonian mentality.

"Collard greens, DING, pick `em up!" lol

Charismatic? lol lol lol Carlos Castaneda?
            Sure, there's a good match with Jung, Hillman, Von Franz et al.

Einstein and Carlos?
            What are you thinking? lol

1. profile image0

The same thing. They are all the same. Now, everybody, let's do our therapy for the day: "I am not a crook". But which archetype are we referring to? Hmm, let's see: The hero? The parent, the child, the witch or warlock; maybe the trickster, the earth or the faithful dog. Ahh, so many gods to choose from, so little food...

"Collard greens, DING, pick `em up!"

EDIT: you do know Jung stole much of his ideology from Plato, right?! lol Smart indeed. No need to do any real work just copy and paste. Ah, indoctrination is the best, isn't it?!

Rhubarb! smile

2. profile image0

Doesn't matter how smart they are, 21, mention the cross and christ crucified and they are as dumb as footballs.

lol
            lol

2. profile image0

lol lol lol

brag in the other direction, i am not impressed

lol lol lol

Just stating the truth.
            I will leave the bragging for those of you who own a sky fairy to threaten others with. smile That is just plain megalomania! lol

1. profile image0

See my other reply to meglomania lol

3. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

I do enjoy the way that Buddhists laugh at us for trying to make the impermanent permanent, by writing it down, or recording it on film, or whatever. 

Because there is absolutely no malice in the laughter, simply delight that anyone could try a task that is impossible, and expect to succeed.

The fact that they make those beautiful sand mandalas, and then blow the sand away, is a fitting metaphor for the impermanence of life.  Yet we're still trying to get it all into books (and don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the Dalai Lama's feelings on the importance of a modern education and the fact that there are several books published under his name).

But have you ever seen a photograph of the man where he isn't smiling broadly?  Willingness to see humor, joy, and compassion all seem to be somehow linked. 

Better than the fires of some non-existent but threatening hell meant to make us sit up straight and stop thinking humorous thoughts.

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Some say he is a joker ,always cracking jokes.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool!

This is a great post - I like your ideas very much, Teresa McGurk.

I've noticed a lot of light-heartedness, instances of laugher, joking and such in many religions, cultures, etc., including within some sacred and/or well respected texts that are decidedly non-Christian. I feel there must also be some instances of humour somewhere in the Bible - but maybe many of us simply choose to keep butting heads or speaking on only the serious issues and passages in the Bible.

mohitmisra,

Thanks for coming back to post the Huxley title. I'll see if I can find some excerpts online so I can figure out if that's a title I want to search out at my local library to read in full.

4. earnestshub profile image80

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants.  (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

Pretty funny eh? lol:

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's way funnier than the one I had (apocryphal), beginning, "A priest walks into a bar. . ."

Hey - please finish it... I want to know what happened!!!

smile

Earnest, how many copies of that Bible Jokebook have you got at the ready over there? lol You've always got an answer/joke for these threads!

Would you believe I use a reasonable memory the bible itself and my old bible study references. smile

5. Info Bucket profile image63
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

I am there on chat room, please come there?

6. profile image0
    fierycjposted 13 years ago

Elijah and the prophets of baal readily come to mind...

when they couldnt make Baal bring down fire from heaven after praying and cutting themselves all day, Elijah kept making fun of them saying...

Hey, shout louder, maybe Baal is taking a nap...or we went for a vacation...Elijah was a pretty funny guy...

1. ohmygoodnessrae profile image61
      ohmygoodnessraeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!!!

7. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I love you fiery, you sure do know your bible.  The bible is not meant to be a comedy book.  It is a book of learning, and a calming book.  It is not miserable for sure, and it is so well written, we can all learn something from it.  I don't ever remember giggling out loud when i read it tho.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks, bren.

8. youcanwin profile image42
    youcanwinposted 13 years ago

Mark 14 : 51 A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, 52he fled naked, leaving his garment behind.

1. profile image0

LOL!

9. stilljustwonderin profile image60
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

Read 1 Samuel chapter 5.
    The Lord gave the people hemerrhoids. So, he thought they were a pain in the......
    I think our Lord does have a sense of humor.

1. Deaconess profile image61
      Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When the pharasees were complaining that Jesus and his disciples didn't wash their hands before eating, Jesus said that they shouldn't be so worried about what he put in his mouth cuz it was just gonna end up getting pooped out of arse.

1. profile image0

now thats funny.

2. ohmygoodnessrae profile image61

Love it. lol

10. temiprice profile image57
    temipriceposted 13 years ago

Well, this seems like kind of dark humor - but I kind of think the story where Dinah and the Shechemite in Genesis is kind of funny.

Dinah gets raped, but the rapist falls in love with her and wants her as a wife.  So, since the rapist is the son of the leader of a city, Dinah's brothers tell the guy that he can't have her unless all the men in the city get circumcised. "Sorry, guys, we can't let our sister live in a city with a bunch of uncircumsised males." This guy must have had a lot of sway 'cause all the men in the city go out and get circumsised.

Three days later, while they're still limping around, Dinah's brothers come and slaughter the whole bunch of them.

11. ohmygoodnessrae profile image61
    ohmygoodnessraeposted 13 years ago

I find plenty of humor in the Bible. The problem is that it's written so formally that few people take the time to find the humor in it. It's filled with stories. You have to remember that the people in those stories were human and not all of their actions were pristine and serious.

Like when David was only a teenager and he's telling his brothers off for being scared of Goliath. Here's this little punk kid telling his mighty warrior brothers that they're dumb for not taking on this huge giant!

Or when Samson kept waking up time and time again to find Delilah trying to take away his strength, and then being so suprised when she succeeded.

Or even when Paul gets bitten by the snake, and he just shakes it off and goes back to what he was doing. I mean come on - the guys around him must have thought he was nuts! And he just sat there and kept conversation up like it was no big deal. Which it wasn't, because it didn't effect him. smile

12. earnestshub profile image80

The whole subject is humerous! lol

1. ohmygoodnessrae profile image61

And yet you take it so seriously and post some sort of opposition to it whenever possible . . . interesting.

Not very interesting really.
        I have been writing on psychology and religiosity for many years.

What is more interesting is your comment and why you felt the need to make it. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

but just not on hubpages lol lol

I finally went to see your profile. smile
            So your life position is you do not read or discuss anything but the KJV! and only want to talk about your invisible friend and have no other interests in life.

Not very broad life choices I reckon! lol lol lol

and here I was thinking you were a real person with a life.

1. profile image0

People are supposed to love it when christians practice what they preach. Remember though, this is my walk with god, yours, if you get one, will be different, this is what is meant by personal relationship. What god says is not good for me to do, he may allow you to do for a while or forever. We can go as far as we want, i want to go a long way so i am obedient, some people cut god off at various stages of their christian growth. Some choose to rebel at gods requests, like say, smoking cigarettes... some christians put cigarettes before god and there they stay because god can't or won't use a christian in such and such a capacity if they are in bondage to a worldly and harmful even ugly habit or practice.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
                SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..hey broyochanan...see you live on beautiful van. isle.....no need for TV with all the beauty around you...don`t know if I could go without the music tho....i  need my tunes....as well as the quiet of the beaches too.

1. profile image0

vancouver island is quite beautiful. I live a short walk to a river to swim in. I play drums, have since i was 14, well on a kit, i used to beat all the furniture in the house previously. Yep, made parental units mad, lol. So i liked the fancy, fast paced, overly talented music of the 70's but while walking with god the music lost its lustre, some of the lyrics i didn't want to hear, and eventually it became of no importance, so i chucked it.
                         But this is my walk.
                  I don't expect others to do the same. Just because i am convicted of a thing, should not more people? Can ungodly music be okay for some christians and not for others? and how do i know if the person is rebelling and keeping the very music i am told not to partake of? or not. Does the door holder have the same qualifications as the head of the house? The landscaper the same degrees as a doctor? for whatever we are called of god to do, he trains us adequately to do that job, he said just love each other. I'm fine with my walk and the trials that accompany it. God bless you for the kind words.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
                    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...you`re right...it`s your walk...we all have our roads to move down or up...whatever the road looks or feels like...life...

hmmm...must be the Cowichan....

I agree - there are some good stories and comments here.

The Samson and Delilah - had to re-think that one. Yep, it seems a bit funny that Samson didn't "clue in" before it was too late.

1. profile image0

One of the many points of this story is that christians should not associate with sin or be around those things that they are weak about. Samson knew what was going on but instead "of abstaining from the appearance of evil" (1 Thessalonians 5:22), he chose be in proximity of his weakness and because he dallied with his weakness, his downfall occurred. I am sure god would have used him more but because samson thought in his own heart, "i can handle this", he ended the work god needed him to do.
        We should also be like minded, the playground is next life, this life and salvation is quite serious.

13. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

There is irony in the Song at the Red Sea sung by Moses and the Israelites. One verse in the song declares (Exodus 15:17): "You shall bring them in and plant them on the mountain of Your inheritance." Moses and the Israelites unbeknownst to themselves, prophesied by saying, "them" rather than "us". common knowledge is, the generation singing the song, including Moses, did not make it to the promised land. Other than that i guess what god is trying to do is quite serious.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Like blessed are the cross-eyed so they can see God twice, am bad..

1. profile image0

or those that have their eyes on the 'cross of christ'! Indeed we need more cross-eyed christians :0) which is foolishness to unsaved humankind but to us it is the power of god unto salvation for whomsoever shall believe in him, shall be saved.

15. davidseeger profile image60
    davidseegerposted 13 years ago

I'm suppose it is obvious and I am just too obtuse to see it. Why do anti-religionists feel the urge to strike out at every indication of faith or belief in a god or supreme being. If these people or so satisfied with themselves and their self sufficiency why can't they let these offendors pass on by. I've noticed in this particular series of notes that those who profess a faith really offered no offense to anyone, but the attacks came against them anyway. My own faith is a little shaky so I will be afraid to attack anyone for their faith or lack of it. If I ever do resolve my questions I think the resolution can only apply to me and I won't try to export it to any of you.

16. earnestshub profile image80

When someone's system of belief imposes it's values, morals and threats on others it is reasonable that they respond. smile

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because something is said to be resonable ...
         Does that make it right?

Is it ever right to become AS bad or worse than the thing that we hate?   
         Can we win over ruthlessness by being more ruthless ?

I guess it doesn't matter who wins as long as the war continues ??? 

We can focus on the things that we hate and let the hate keep growing,  Or we can focus on the things that we love and let the love grow.

The music never stops.  Dance whatever dance that ya want to keep the beat with.   
         But don't blame anyone else when your legs get tired.

17. davidseeger profile image60
    davidseegerposted 13 years ago

Earnestshub:I guess I missed something. I didn't see that anything that was imposed on you. But maybe I would have to be in your skin to realize I was being attacked.

18. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I don't know of any humorous instances in The Bible.  I guess the writers find it hard to incorporate comedy after witnessing a miracle or spreading the word of the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I think if they had incorporated comedy, more people might have read it from cover to cover.

19. earnestshub profile image80

I can't see how humour has any place amongst all the threatening, killing and maiming myself! lol

20. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

I think the 10 commandments was probably meant as a joke. 10 try the best you can, more likely.

21. ahostagesituation profile image80
    ahostagesituationposted 13 years ago

Elijah the prophet attempted to call his people back to their original God, and challenged them to pit the power of their new God against their former God.  When their new God came up depressingly short, Elijah suggested that maybe their God was pooping.  Maybe they should call to him louder.  He was messing with them.  I wrote a hub about it.

1. profile image0

lol MY FAV!

translated: "Maybe your B/ba`al' is on the toilet and cannot hear you. Call to him with all your voice and strength!".

[ btw, the term B/ba`al is translated into Latin/Germanic as G/god, M/master, L/lord.]

1. ahostagesituation profile image80
        ahostagesituationposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Totally impressed, twenty one days.

1. profile image0

{blush}

1. ahostagesituation profile image80
            ahostagesituationposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Blush all you want, it's impressive.  I don't usually run across much viable bible knowledge. Very, very rare.

1. profile image0

ahostagesituation,
              may I reserve the 5th, on the grounds it might dismantle religion/science in the same breath?

PS, thank you.

22. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

Is there baseball in the Bible? Of course. Genesis 1:1 starts, "In the big inning."

23. bjspivey-rivers profile image61
    bjspivey-riversposted 13 years ago

There are some funny scriptures in the book of Proverbs.  One section talks about drunk people.  It says they stumble around and fall and wake up with red eyes and bruises and one of the first things they say is "where can I get another drink?"  I think that's funny.  Another is a proverb that says the lazy man says, "I can't go to work because there is a lion in the street."  That's funny, too.  There is humor in the Bible.  If you seek it you will find it.

24. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

once upon a time a gentleman wondered what this world was all about as he looked up into the night sky. A word came to him, its said, "son".
    He looked around and saw nobody and rested again upon the lush green grass. "Son", the voice sounded again. Thinking this weird he got up and went for a walk. He passed a church and he heard the voice again so he went in. There was nobody there, but he knelt anyway and said, "i am here Lord". The voice said "how did you know it was me"? I said, "you're the only ventriloquist I know that doesn't use a puppet"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)