jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Should American Christians Help Persecuted Christians Elsewhere?

1. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

What is our obligation as American Christians to Christians outside of the United States that are being persecuted, such as in Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Nigeria, etc.

1. TMMason profile image76
      TMMasonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We sould be helping them the world over. But the Secular Progressives and the Left have destroyed any hope of that.

1. Flightkeeper profile image79
        Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why would you say that TM?  We have a lot of power as Christians through our churches.  I think it would be more effective if we channel our energies to specific things and not be so diffuse.

1. 0
          sandra rinckposted 6 years ago in reply to this
    2. nlogan profile image60
      nloganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We should def try to do ask much as we can!

2. TMMason profile image76
    TMMasonposted 6 years ago

Have you taken a look at the condition of our churches?

And that is not an across the board condemnation. Did you see what they did in uganda? And then ran from.

And I say that, because I do not see any problem with our govt being involved in Chrisatian outreach throughout the world.

But we know what happens every time a christian and the govt get together. We can hear the chorus and kakkle calls of seperation... blah blah.

3. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

You have a good point.  A lot of our churches do seem to think it's not appropriate to stand up for other Christians around the world.  But perhaps that's something that a Christian can bring up at their own church?

4. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 6 years ago

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't, but I do think it pays to research the country's situation carefully before leaping to conclusions.

I remember a right-wing chain letter I got a few years back that attacked Clinton for helping the "Muslim Albanian terrorists" instead of the "Christian Serbs" when in fact the Serbs were the perpetrators of the majority of the ethnic violence in that particular conflict. I had a little bit of deja vu when someone showed up here on the forums a couple weeks ago under the apparent impression that the Muslims were the perpetrators of the Srebrenica massacre! That sort of misunderstanding can wind up damaging a church's attempts to help its fellow Christians more than it helps it.

5. wilmiers77 profile image61
    wilmiers77posted 6 years ago

Yes, we certainly should help prosecuted Christians anywhere. Farther more, we should help all people that are prosecuted on Earth. Relieving pain and suffering should be the works of all Christians; animals included.

6. mdscoggins profile image87
    mdscogginsposted 6 years ago

I think as Christians we are called to help people not only fellow Christians we should have a heart for humanity no matter how some in the world view us. God's work was not always easily completed or followed therefore we should not expect the easy road either.

1. Deaconess profile image60
      Deaconessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Amen to that mdscoggins... we should be helping anyone who is persecuted, not just Christians.

7. brotheryochanan profile image62
    brotheryochananposted 6 years ago

There are indeed christians persecuted for their belief in Jesus Christ, not for their belief in creationism, or buddism, or muslim, or scientology, nor evolutionists, nor kharmists nor followers of 'the divine'. Indeed in over 50 countries around the world the name of Jesus is not tolerated, 11 of those same countries high intolerance is practiced, with jail sentences there are also house burnings.
    Hebrews 13:3 tells us: "to remember those that are in bonds as having been in bonds with them and those that suffer afflictions (tortures) as having been in the same body". this is one of those wonderful examples of where God through the bible brings the human up to his level. The carnal thinkers of the world will seldom try to attain to this scripture being as they are the sum of all wisdom and will just be thankful they are not persecuted and move on.
    We, as christians, having the mind of christ and heart, are all of one body, when one part hurts the other parts hurt. This is the excellence of God that we pray for one another and send cards of encouragement. persecution.net is a good place to get their newsletter and start to uphold these people who are in jails, apart from family, coming closer to god in ways we can only imagine. With our God all things work together for good and how much more sure is that if other members of the body chip in.