Will Jesus sent me to hell for being an atheist ?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (100 posts)
  1. rajivnandy profile image59
    rajivnandyposted 13 years ago

this question keeps bothering me at times .I still cant figure out why .

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question itself shows you not to be atheist - just undecided.  No, you will not be sent to hell.  The kicker is that you will depart this life with the same spirit you died with.  In other words, if you are not receptive to new learnings in this life you will not be receptive on the other side when you are taught.  Life is eternal and further light and knowledge await those who are receptive.  If you are receptive in this life you will be all the better prepared to recieve greater knowledge concerning your place in the universe.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You cannot and do not know this. New learnings? Dear me. sad

@rajivnandy - Because of being constantly bombarded by people like this who claim knowledge that they do not have. wink

Whilst they may mean well - they are lying to you. They first lie to themselves and then gain a measure of personal power by pretending to certain knowledge that you do not have.

This person does not and cannot know this. The question you must ask is - why are they so prepared to lie to themselves and subsequently to others. History proves they are liars and do not know anything.

Jesus did not exist and there is no heaven or hell as the parasites describe. Just ask yourself a few questions.

Based on their behavior - do they act as though they know what they are talking about - or do they spend all their time arguing and fighting over who know the best fairy tail? wink

Does it really make sense that you will live forever? LOL Does it really make sense that this person has special knowledge  given to him that you do not? And you only get the "further light and knowledge" if you are "receptive" to this nonsense? Exactly. wink

Relax - ignore the self serving scaremongering. When you are dead you are dead - that is certain - and none of the parasites have an answer.

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in implying that all parasites are ignorant you have gone too far this time, Mr. Knowles!

I am reading Jean Meslier's "Testament" at the moment. Enlightening. big_smile

1. Diane Inside profile image72
              Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did not exist? Really? Interesting? Then Census records from that time period is wrong? who'd of thunk it.

I mean really, you rant yet say nothing.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Y'am - reet odd innit - non other wot sez it an no Kristian dun made up them records (whoever invented the garbage in "Luke"). They wud not do such a thang coz then has wot gud morals............lol

Love the claim though. Please add proof of this one single, solitary reference outside the bible to a person called Jesus.

Because as far as I am aware - there was no census, and there are no records. But - I am happy to be corrected.

Thank you. wink

2. wilmiers77 profile image59
          wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are you saying? Are you saying that fairy tales doesn't mean anything? Are you saying that they don't have a moral meaning that people pass unto the kids generation after generation because it feel good in their spirits.

What would being bound to earth always in our thinking benefit us? Haven't there been advancements more from out of the box thinking than in the box? The spirit is life, not how blocks stack up which can be observed. We even use faith in the world in the natural than what we think; why not in God, our Creator?

You can't read? You did not understand what I said?

Guess not - never said any such thing. Never mentioned fairy tales. Bet it makes you feel good to lie about what I said though - huh? Morals? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Please stop lying about what I said - I know that lying os a big part of your religion - but - stop. Thanks. Moral meaning? lol lol lol

Wot? I really don't care what you think - please back it up with something if you are going to tell me how it is. Your opinion? Not worth much - I don't put a lot of stock in what people who lie about what I say, say. Sorry.

Please try again. This time without the lies and assumptions.

Thanks

1. sustainable profile image60
              sustainableposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus will not send u to hell for being who nature wants u to be.He will rather let the world know through u that in the universal house,there are many mansions including atheism.His care is that u understand the steps that lead to the mansion of universal bliss!

Knowles, way nice move on fairy tales. If you choose to be bound to the natural, than your faith is in things. Things that you can see, touch and even eat are all imperfect.

Ever thought of who created your life? Who created the universe? It sure wasn't anyone on this planet. If you don't have visions beyond material things and "show Me" , than other people is determining your purpose. God has a plan for you whether you know it or not.

1. wilmiers77 profile image59

Knowles, my man, please think of the track record of Christianity. Million and millions of persons proclaiming the truth of Christ. Experience over eons of time is the big daddy of what is true. Can you behold all of this?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it is shown that the followers of Christianity are followers because their parents were followers, their parents parents were followers, and so on, and that each generation of followers were loosely based geographically throughout the world, we can behold that Christianity is like any other religion, taught from parent to child, and little if nothing more than based on the societies at the time. smile

2. skyfire profile image81
                  skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this
              2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Have you ever eaten a fresh, strawberry with a subtle Champagne? Sublime - if not perfect. You are wrong.

Of course I have thought about it. And I have decided that there was no person "created" the universe and you do not know either.

But - because you MUST have an answer - you have made one up. Not buying it. Your general demeanor, apparent level of understanding and quality of approach are not convincing me you have any answers. Sorry.

Of course I have visions beyond material things. I have quite a powerful imagination. I just choose to understand that it is not reality.

Nonsense. You cannot, and do not know this. Please do not speak to me as though I was a child.

Thank you.

3. Beelzedad profile image59

If microbiology reveals to us that we evolved from simpler lifeforms and cosmology reveals to us the universe came about on its own, then the answer to your questions is not a who. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image61
                  mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cosmology reveals to us the universe came about on its own?

There is no such thing as on its own.

You know that how?

3. the pink umbrella profile image74
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, im pretty sure he did exist as a physical person, maybe even an inspirational one, but as for his devine powers...im thinking no

Why?

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
              the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really dont want to be attacked for answering your question...ive seen enough of that on these forums.

Good for you.

4. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Julius Africanus quotes the historian Thallus in a discussion of the darkness which followed the crucifixion of Christ (Extant Writings, 18).

Pliny the Younger, in Letters 10:96, recorded early Christian worship practices including the fact that Christians worshiped Jesus as God and were very ethical, and he includes a reference to the love feast and Lord’s Supper.

The Babylonian Talmud (Sanhedrin 43a) confirms Jesus' crucifixion on the eve of Passover.

Lucian of Samosata was a second-century Greek writer who admits that Jesus was worshiped by Christians, introduced new teachings, and was crucified for them. He said that Jesus' teachings included the brotherhood of believers, the importance of conversion, and the importance of denying other gods. Christians lived according to Jesus’ laws, believed themselves to be immortal, and were characterized by contempt for death, voluntary self-devotion, and renunciation of material goods.

Mara Bar-Serapion confirms that Jesus was thought to be a wise and virtuous man, was considered by many to be the king of Israel, was put to death by the Jews, and lived on in the teachings of His followers.

Then we have all the Gnostic writings (The Gospel of Truth, The Apocryphon of John, The Gospel of Thomas, The Treatise on Resurrection, etc.) that all mention Jesus.

In fact, we can almost reconstruct the gospel just from early non-Christian sources: Jesus was called the Christ (Josephus), did “magic,” led Israel into new teachings, and was hanged on Passover for them (Babylonian Talmud) in Judea (Tacitus), but claimed to be God and would return (Eliezar), which his followers believed, worshipping Him as God (Pliny the Younger).

There is overwhelming evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ, both in secular and biblical history. Perhaps the greatest evidence that Jesus did exist is the fact that literally thousands of Christians in the first century A.D., including the twelve apostles, were willing to give their lives as martyrs for Jesus Christ. People will die for what they believe to be true, but no one will die for what they know to be a lie.

just som e secular information. In your f... ummm, there ya go, hopmework for ya.

1. profile image0
            brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.come-and-hear.com/sanhedrin/ … in_43.html  The first thing i looked up, I found... your searching skills must suck immensely, whale cousin.

Sorry. I do not see the word "jesus" on that page. Nor do I see the other thousands of references you claim as proof. I see that Yeshu only had five disciples, Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni and Todah, and he was hanged (not crucified). Interesting.

Your searching skills are somewhat biased, cousin. I see you have chosen to ignore what I said. I said there was a reference to "Yeshu" in this document. You have decided that this means Jesus. There is not a great deal of agreement over this point. The other references - I assume we both agree that they are simply references to the Christian cult - not Jesus? No one denies there is a Christian cult. Lots of them in fact. They all believe based in hearsay - which is why there is so many of them. You, yourself called that Catholic cult, "crap". sad

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your question in the title of your thread insinuates you are not an atheist. hmm

rajivnandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No...actually  i don't exactly know about god's existence and plus people keep talkin about things like "when you don't believe or disrespect Jesus..then u make him cry ... :'(

2. profile image60
        tommyjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Bad grammar. Clearly a believer.

3. bsscorpio8 profile image60
      bsscorpio8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, guitar.

rajivnandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea dude ...i play guitar ...for more details read the description.

4. mohitmisra profile image61

I was an atheist and attained enlightenment without believing in Jesus or any of the other prophets.God is my home, my source its where I have come from and will go back to.
      One needs to meditate ,that's the message of the prophets.

wow.. your property taxes must be insane!

smile

Totally smile

"Nothing really belongs to me,
          At the same time all is mine as far as I can see.".

that's EXACTLY what the tax collector said to me the other day!

great smile

2. bsscorpio8 profile image60

Beautiful man.Beautiful.

1. lovelifebehappy profile image61
          lovelifebehappyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

whatever your belief is, is your choice.....any religion or any God you worship  could not put or save you from hell...it is you, your mind and your actions that make you so...that's why some people meditate to free and clean thier from nasty thoughts because if thier mind is clean, they do good things to other people..the act of loving kindness...
          Think good, Do unto others as you would like others  would do unto you...and let God (whatever your religious affiliation is), be your model and your guide....
          I think this matters most....

1. bsscorpio8 profile image60

And SEX!!!!

1. lovelifebehappy profile image61

You are naughty!...hahaha!...but i like the way you are....keep smiling and be good....

5. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Question of rajivnandy:

Will Jesus send me to hell for being an atheist ?

Hi friend  rajivnandy

Jesus is neither god nor son of god; so you don't worry about Jesus; he cannot send you to hell. One should care about the Creator- God Allah YHWH , who is the Master of the Day of Judgment:

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
      [1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
      [1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,

[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.

[1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
      [1:6] Guide us in the right path —
      [1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … r.php?ch=1

Please see [1:4].

Jesus is only a Messenger Prophet of the Creator-God Allah YHWH and a servant of Him. Jesus cannot send any body on his own to hell or heaven. One should, therefore, obey the Creator-God Allah YHWH with all sincerity.

This is what I believe.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

6. lovelifebehappy profile image61

Dear, continue to be good and do good to all living beings on this planet....it doesn't matter whatever God you worship...hold on to your own beliefs and be righteous in all your dealings..for religion doesn't matter so much...however, let us respect each other's religion and beliefs..in doing so, we avoid conflict and discrimination... that will result to Love and Peace...
      MAY ALL BE WELL AND HAPPY!...Smile...

You have a good idea there and it would work well, except for one thing, the conflict, of which I've presented an example here:

How can anyone respect the beliefs of believers when they don't offer respect themselves? smile

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.   That's what the Bible says.
      Mankind is without excuse.  We each have a choice to make.

8. profile image49
      craftywhitchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i do not believe that jesus would send to hell for not believing in him iits our choice and the bible has so many loop holes its unbelievable i do not go to church myself because i just stopped believing in him

craftywhitch, I believe God wants you to start at the being; God is omnipresent, omniscience, and omnipotent. Pray for a more full knowledge of this. " God is love."  Patiently, wait on a more fuller understanding of this verse; don't move. "...Be still and know that I am God..."

Be patient until all believed loop holes are resolved; they are still calling you. "...make man a liar, and God the truth...".

When a person lose faith it's usually because they have placed some limit on God and have accepted some world truths to be absolute.

9. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, God has created the conditions for people to go to hell. In the end, it will be because they lack a savior for their sins that they go there. They rejected God and the salvation He offers through the death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. The Bible teaches that God exists, that we know that He exists, but that we resist the knowledge of Him. The Bible talks about us "supressing the truth in unrighteousness." Some do not want to know Him (on his terms) because it makes them feel guilty. Or perhaps they simply hate the God revealed in the Bible.

But if you're willing to accept Him on His terms, He will save you from your sins. Jesus said, "He that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

Here ya go:

"It is plain, then, from these citations, that the word sheol, "hell," makes nothing for the doctrine of future unending punishment as a part of the Law penalties. It is never used by Moses or the Prophets in the sense of a place of torment after death; and in no way conflicts with the statement already proved, that the Law of Moses deals wholly in temporal rewards and punishments."

http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/tbhell.html

smile

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

why would you care what Jesus would or would not think if you don't believe in Jesus?

It's like wondering if you should dye your hair red if you are bald

3. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 13 years ago

In 30 A.D. the English word didn't exist nor did the English language. In the early 300s A.D. the West Germanic word "haljo" (meaning "hole") came into use. Around the mid-400s Old English was born. In 1100 A.D "hell" meant "a hole in the ground". In 1601-1605, KJV translators took "hell"--meaning "hole in the ground" or "grave" and applied it to sheol, meaning "grave". By 1605-1611, KJV translators began rendering the New Testament. Hades, which they knew was equivalent to sheol, was rendered "hell", so was gehenna & tartaros which meant nothing remotely close to a grave. So if we go by hell's original meaning, No, Jesus won't sent you to the "grave." Natural causes or reckless living will do that.

nice reply, different take.

2. Deaconess profile image60
      Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good points ShadowKing. I would like to add that the Christian image of hell was created by a man named Dante in poem contained in his written works titled, "The Divine Comedy." The Catholic church jumped right on it to instill fear and gain stronger control over the masses. I really don't understand why some people holdfast to the "idea" of hell, even when they are shown that it is indeed a figment of the imagination. Perhaps, it is because "hell" is so integral in their belief system... I mean... if there is no hell, then what do they need to be saved from?

4. M.A.Noble profile image67
    M.A.Nobleposted 13 years ago

It is amazing how an atheistic and philosophical question is answered by the same.  I note that not one answer is a Christian one.

People without Christ's authority have answered you with their own human wisdom about things that can be answered by the Spirit of God. All those who do not acknowledge God and who do not accept him as their Father (through the Son) will stand before God in Judgement. All those who are not written in The Book of Life will die a second death and this means for eternity you will live a life without God and thi also means in torment. That answers your question because the term atheist suggests someone has willingly chosen not to aknowledge God and prefer to place their faith in humanism or paganism. God has provided many opportunities for everyone including atheists to get to know God personally (through his son ) but if you have chosen to ignore these then you have chosen willing in your heart and mind to reject Him!  Therefore as God brought judgement on all those who rejected him in the Old Testament Historical accounts so it shall be in the New tesament accounts See Book of Revelation chapter 20 and chapter 21.

M.A.Noble

1. Deaconess profile image60
      Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone who denounces the existence of hell is an atheist. I have a strong belief in God.

The thing is... the Christian idea of hell is nowhere in the bible, and so it is not we who denounce hell who speak without authority, but those who repeat what they have learned "outside" of the scripture. It is a belief empowered by fear, and it has nothing to do with God.

2 Timothy 1:7... "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

2. profile image0
      ShadowKing!posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To M.A. Noble:

I believe your answer is simply a human inclination to refuse natural logic and cling to a predisposed cloak of self-righteousness. You speak of Christ's authority in which your use of these words sound idiotic. If any one was to have "Christ's authority" they have "Christ's Power". One doesn't need Christ''s Authority, Power, Blessing, etc. to enlighten someone about a fact. You need to study this thing called "hell".
      I find most Christians to be people of little wisdom. Logic should tell them that if hell is one of the great biblical debates, maybe, perhaps, they should investigate it, research it, study it. But no, people continue to cling to erroneous beliefs.
      For 300 years the ancient scholars refused to believe the world was round--clinging to a false belief even 75 yrs after a flat-earth theory was proven wrong. For 2,300 yrs people believe in some form of a Loch Ness Monster, 40 yrs for Bigfoot, before facts showed them these ridiculous characters don't exist.
      it's a theme than runs exceedingly long through human history. The case here is not that people believe in something false (that I can understand), it's that they believe in a falsity that's utterly ridiculous!
      And yet they call themselves...intelligent, open-minded, practical.......

NOTE to others: I said: "most Christians have little wisdom" not all. if you feel you're not in this "most" category don't get offended.

3. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"That answers your question because the term atheist suggests someone has willingly chosen not to aknowledge God and prefer to place their faith in humanism or paganism."

Absolutely not. It is entirely the other way around. Atheism is not a position, and in many ways is something we all share, yourself included. There are many deities you do not believe in, simply because you've never heard of them.

Similarly you make the bold and condescending claim to know the minds and experiences of others:

"God has provided many opportunities for everyone including atheists to get to know God personally (through his son ) but if you have chosen to ignore these then you have chosen willing in your heart and mind to reject Him!"

You have no way of knowing this, beyond a personal belief. You know nothing about me, and yet are ready to judge me. An interesting concept.

P.S What do you make of people who have no way of knowing about your faith. Or, are raised and brainwashed into another? Are they going to hell too?

5. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

now how can u be atheist when u doubt that jesus might put u in hell?..now coming to larger point there are 67% people in world who dont accept christ..there are 77% people who dont believe in quran and there are 84% people in world who dont believe in vedas..so point is if person doesnot accept religion defined god and would be put to hell..hell would be really really crowded place and it would have some really great people in it too...

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

he sent me a while ago....sometimes i try to get out...it's hot in here...but then again I'm luving it......

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/straight-hell-anime-hell-translate-funny-demotivational-poster-1217291157.jpg

7. Adult Content profile image57
    Adult Contentposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure if that is even Jesus' job.  (Heaven--unlike CA does not necessarily give all the unsavory jobs to a guy named Jesus.  God Himself might be in charge of that kind of thing.

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

8. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

Jesus cannot send anybody to heaven or hell. He himself waits grace of the Creator-God Allah YHWH to be sent to heaven.

Thanks

9. M.A.Noble profile image67
    M.A.Nobleposted 13 years ago

Your answers will be made clear eventually but it will be too late to realise Man's wisdom and debates get you nowhere!
    Stop wasting time discussing hell and start learning about faith!

So we can be just like you? Perhaps you could tell us why you are so fantastic?

Edit - oops - don't bother. I just looked at your rant against "abominations such as hindu temples" on your profile page.

You have no authority. None.

2. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I adore white noise. When reason fails, rhetoric begins.

10. Shil1978 profile image88
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

It seems incredulous to me that the majority of the world would go to hell - most of the billions who inhabit the world don't believe in Jesus, or for that matter agree on any 'one God.' Does not mean, the 'nonbelievers' would automatically go to hell.

There are many 'believers' who are not 'good.' Equally, there are many 'nonbelievers' who are very moral and good human beings!

11. wilmiers77 profile image59
    wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

The Infinite God knows the heart. Let's not get hung up on a names. Jesus has other names. He had God's Spirit. Other persons must come to know His spirit. Many roads lead to the Son Of God's Spirit, but one can not get around Him regardless the name they call Him. God promised that the standard that He shall judge by His Holy Spirit  which Jesus possessed. The body to dust, but the spirit is eternal. Jesus's resurrection and ascension was God way of showing that Jesus is His standard, the One. God promised to send those to hell that opposes His Son's Spirit.

12. fatfist profile image65
    fatfistposted 13 years ago

"Will Jesus sent me to hell for being an atheist ?"

Let's put it this way:

Your Goose is cooked! It's already in the oven as we're speaking.

13. maplethorpej profile image60
    maplethorpejposted 13 years ago

Heaven nor hell exist. Read my hub about the paradox of heaven. There might be an afterlife, but being punished or rewarded for the way you act in this life won't determine where you end up in the next. Humans exhibit 'evil' and thus we assume there is a devil. There isn't anything supernatural about human behavior. Greed, lust, love, hate, altruism, thievery: these are all human characteristics at varying degrees, not good or evil.

If you contemplate life and appreciate whatever this reality is, you can't go wrong.

You can't always appreciate anything that causes you pain and mental anguish.
      If one considers who, what, and when created us and all that exist alone with why and what is our purpose; we get God, and nothing less. If one consider the fact that we are developing technologically and religiously, what are the limits or what is our final destination? We get heaven by reasoning, and you have acknowledged the devil who is a proponent of pain and death, and this is called...!
      Put God in the equation, and you get supernatural every time. God's intelligent design trains us and we acquire knowledge, a toy space which lets us know more of God, our Creator. This toy space is incomplete, and needs the completeness of Jesus, the Son of God.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh please. hmm

14. vrbmft profile image74
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

Your question , will Jesus send you to hell...? leaves  me with a couple of more questions for you?  The first is Why would Jesus send you to hell for being an atheist?  Secondly, tell us what it means to you, in particular, to "be" an atheist.

I also wonder if you have any interest in going to hell.  Out of curiosity?  Looking for a hot job?  The hell here isn't enough for you?  Laugh!  Supposed to be funny.  Hot humor!!

For me, going to hell and being an atheist are cookie cutter concepts or notions.  They come out of a narrow view of reality, a kind of wicked spirituality or theology, sort of a power based theology where someone has the power to send someone to hell or the person on the receiving end has the power to rebel and say, I don't beleive in whoever you are.  It speaks to almost nothing of what I experience in my life.

Despite all the pain in the universe, the universe is still an infinitely beautiful and "mawvelous" place to exist, and I am happy I am here.  And just like I am not afraid of the bears who live but a few miles from me, I am not afraid of going to hell nor do I want to take away too much energy from my writing time to question myself whether I am a believer or an atheist or an agnostic.

Those are also power based words, each label implying that the other is more or less the truth than the other.  I'd rather get together with a bunch of folks and together we can look around our lives and our community and at each other and discover all that there is to believe in.

There's too much to believe in to narrow it all down to the words like atheist and agnostic and believer.  Be like saying, okay folks, from now on there are only three kinds of food and where is your allegiance?  There's junk food, McDonalds, and Vegetarian.  That's it.  All food falls under one of those three categories.  And by the way, if you pick McDonalds, you might go to hell.  Yea, of course it's ridiculous just like those three cubby holes.

Speaking of food, do you know what God's favorite food is?  What's your most heavenly food?  What food would you die for?  What food would you go to hell for?  Any food you would go to heaven for?

I'm not sure but I think God's favorite is a toss up between Angel Food Cake and Devils Food Cake.  What?  You thought it was barbecued ribs!  Well, when you think about Adam, that makes sense!

15. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 13 years ago

Mark...history does indicate that there was an actual man who claimed to be the savior of god, perceived as attacking the Jewish faith and was crucified for it. Now whether not he was 'actually' the savior??? (shrugs)...that would be based on faith.

Really? History outside of the bible?

Please - enlighten me. Seriously. Forget Josephus -....

Go!

1. drej2522 profile image68
        drej2522posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not talking about Biblical references. The heck with that, I'm a freakin agnostic!
        His existence is taught in any western civilizations class or world history class. (and yes, I know such books are somewhat biased, but really what isn't these days?)

You want a literary reference?...like an encyclopedia or a (.edu) reference? I'm not quite sure what you are looking for here.

Anything. Any historical reference outside the bible (other than references to the bible by - "western civilizations class" or "world history class" - what ever they are).

Wikipedia says.

"according to the Gospel of Luke"
          "According to each of the fourcanonical New Testament gospels"
          "In the synoptic Gospels "
          "According to the Synoptics"
          "The Gospels state that Jesus"
          "The principal sources of information regarding Jesus' life and teachings are the four Gospels"

So - really - I will be pleased to hear anything.

Seriously - any impartial reference to the man.   

Anything.

Go! big_smile

Interesting enough, no matter what source I try, the gospels are always some sort of source...even if it's indirect. Hmm, I guess I never really tried to research his existence outside those guidelines. I stand corrected.

So, I guess you're under the impression that the man didn't exist at all? I don't know if I ever ran into that conclusion before. I would say most think someone was there, preaching something.

Well - I have looked. Hard.

I have managed to find one, single solitary reference outside the gospels - to "Jesus The Magician."

But - most people - as you did - swallow the "fact" that there is "historical evidence."

Which - there is not. sad

So - yes - I have come to the conclusion that He is a convenient construct. Perhaps a rebel did exist at that time? Perhaps the "king of the Jews" was murdered for speaking against the Roman rule? Who knows? I certainly do not trust what the bible says.

true...people are sheep (as am I). Honestly, the subject was never compelling enough for me to research otherwise (which relates to laziness).

Or...there is this...I think I would like to think that there was someone like that. Someone pure and good, who had a vision to change the world. I have no quarrels with that and it's kind refreshing if, in fact, it was true.

Mark, a hard head makes for a soft ass. We all are using faith every day; even in a world of imperfection. We have faith that our autos will start and carry us. We exercise faith when we sit in a chair that it is not going to collapse. This goes on and on daily.

I choose the Creator over creatures and thing!!!!

I maintain my car, fix the brakes, change the oil etc. The faith I have comes from knowledge that it is properly maintained - and you know what - some times they break down.

I don''t care what you choose to believe. Really - care factor zero.

I am bothered that you feel the desperate need to tell me though. wink

16. bjspivey-rivers profile image60
    bjspivey-riversposted 13 years ago

In response to this question, many people have offered their opinions.  But that is all most of it is...opinion.  Some have made Biblical references.  None of us has ever died and come back to tell you the true answer to your question.  Since you say it keeps coming up in your mind, I would suggest you read and study Jesus and His life.  If you read His sayings, you will find the answer to your question.  I believe we will all face the judgement at the end and God will decide who goes where.  But that is my belief.  You need to find out for yourself.

17. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Please stop lying to me cousin. There is little - if any - reference to Jeebus outside your little book.

Sextus Julius Africanus - Christian politician, unable to determine when he lived.

Pliny the younger - no reference to Jeebus - only to his fan club.

Lucian of Samosata - no reference to Jeebus - only to his fan club.

Talmud - arguments about as to whether or not a reference to "Yeshu" was actually a reference to Jeebus.

Mara Bar-Serapion - reference to a "wise king" of the Jews - no mention of Jeebus.

Gospels - ummm - not secular. Sorry.

No one is denying you guys are loud mouthed about your beliefs. But - this only proves that you are loud mouthed about your beliefs. No morals - that is your problem. You will burn for all eternity.  sad

18. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

I think Jesus should have read psychology 101. It's amazing how many people now believe the faith backed claims, just imagine how many would have believed without mention of a hell.

Do the churches of today preach more of heaven or threaten with hell? I would imagine those that threaten more couldn't keep as many followers and believers as those that focus more on heavenly rewards.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend  TruthDebater

I agree with you that the churches should focus more on the mercy of the Creator-God Allah YHWH:

[7:157] ‘And ordain for us good in this world, as well as in the next; we have turned to Thee with repentance.’ God replied, ‘I will inflict My punishment on whom I will; but My mercy encompasses all things; so I will ordain it for those who act righteously, and pay the Zakat and those who believe in Our Signs —
      [7:158] ‘Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet, the Immaculate one, whom they find mentioned in the Torah and the Gospel which are with them. He enjoins on them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful for them the good things and forbids them the bad, and removes from them their burden and the shackles that were upon them. So those who shall believe in him, and honour and support him, and help him, and follow the light that has been sent down with him — these shall prosper.’
      [7:159] Say, ‘O mankind! truly I am a Messenger to you all from Allah to Whom belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. There is no God but He. He gives life, and He causes death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the Prophet, the Immaculate one, who believes in Allah and His words; and follow him that you may be rightly guided.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=156

So God's mercy encompasses everything "but My mercy encompasses all things; so I will ordain it for those who act righteously, and pay the Zakat and those who believe in Our Signs —"

One should therefore take benefit of His mercy.

Thanks

So it is Allah that will send me to hell for not believing? Not Jesus. How very unreasonable of it.

19. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Jesus cannot send anybody to heaven or hell. He himself awaits grace of the Creator-God Allah YHWH to be sent to heaven.

The Creator-God Allah wants that everybody including the Atheists Agnostics should be sent to heaven by becoming believers in Him and by doing good and rational deeds:

[4:146] The hypocrites shall surely be in the lowest depth of the Fire; and thou shalt find no helper for them,
    [4:147] Except those who repent and amend and hold fast to Allah and are sincere in their obedience to Allah. These are among the believers. And Allah will soon bestow a great reward upon the believers.

[4:148] Why should Allah punish you, if you are thankful and if you believe? And Allah is Appreciating, All-Knowing.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=147

See the verse 4:148, the Creator is not interested in sending anybody to hell; if one does good deeds and believes in Him one could go to heaven.

Thanks

Awww - Allah is going to punish me for not believing in it? sad

How incredibly unreasonable.

20. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

If I do not believe in the light bulb and refuse to turn on the switch?

Is it the light bulbs fault for leaving me in the dark?

There is no light bulb. It is your fault for imagining the invisible light bulb and then trying to convince other people wot it is there. 

Sorry. sad

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that it is my fault that you are in the dark; because I can see the light??

No Jerami. I am not in the dark - thanks for asking. wink

I'm glad !  As long as everybody has got what they want I guess there is no problem ?

2. Beelzedad profile image59

If Mark is in the dark and you are in the light, why doesn't the light illuminate your god for all of us to see?

Maybe it is your god who hides in the dark? wink

It seems as though some people can not follow the progression a series of metaphors. 
               That conversation started out with ME being in the dark cause I didn't believe in light bulbs.

I actually never said that Mark was in the dark and I in the light. 
              Do not focus on the last sentence of a metaphorical exchange a

1. luvpassion profile image63
              luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some life choses to live  in  the dark,  for example, There is a 50,000-mile-long mid-ocean ridge, of which the Mid-Cayman Rise is just one particularly accessible part that scientists have only began to explore.

We do know that bacterial and othe single celled life forms as well as tube worms live in the crushing pressure and darkness of the ocean depths.

If evolution is true...is it possible that some life here on earth originated from these and therefore are genetically dispositioned to live in the dark?

Mark Knowles, you are holding a losing, worldly belief. We all realize such as we approach death. There is a long history of of persons heavily invested in the world expressing near the end that it now means nothing.

Documented statements of atheists consistently reflect a reverse to God as they near death. So, all that they could see, touch, or possess wouldn't preserve them, only a reaching out for God in desperation.

1. skyfire profile image81
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, your source for such wild wet claim ?

21. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

lol

22. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Best oxymoron I've read for weeks!  Thanks for making me smile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)