jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Cultural taboos

1. premierkj profile image79
    premierkjposted 6 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of writing about cultural taboos around the world. Some of these such as cannibalism are universally considered as taboo but I want to find out more about taboos that are unusual, or unique to certain cultures. For example, Irish people are offended when we are identified by others as British. I also want to know the more quirky habits of a culture, like where I am from you are told never to walk under a ladder (maybe that's quite common, I'm not sure). Thanks for any contribution, KJ.

1. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hold on a second.. don't go stereotyping the whole human race with your anti-cannibalism brush

1. cheaptrick profile image75
        cheaptrickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Jeffery Dahmer was my neighbor...
        We frequently dined together...
        He was a better cook than I...

2. wildorangeflower profile image61
      wildorangeflowerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Incest is taboo to most culture
      marrying your relative up to how many degree depends on the culture you are in
      Do you also mean superstitious belief?

Are you also asking about practices  -- Customs and tradition like kissing the hands of the elderly

genital mutilation is permitted in some countries in Africa while it is a no no to other countries

3. Bikash jha profile image62
      Bikash jhaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Eating beef is forbidden for us hindus, we considered cow as holy and motherly

2. Paradise7 profile image86
    Paradise7posted 6 years ago

Killing a cricket is a Korean taboo--the luck with go out of the house.

3. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Showing the soles of your shoes is considered disrespectful in some cultures...