jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Public sermon

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Over the weekend I attended a rodeo in Nampa, Idaho.  After a couple of introductory acts the indoor arena was darkened and the PA system announced the Star Spangled Banner.

It was a beautiful sight in that dark arena as a spot lighted white horse and rider with a large American flag slowly circled and came to a stop. Everyone waited, cowboy hats in hand and hands over hearts, for the music. 

Instead we were treated to a 10 minute sermon on the necessity of making sure our children were properly introduced to God.

Eventually our anthem was played, but by then the magic was gone and I was quite disturbed by the whole offensive procedure.  I understand that it took place at a rodeo (the epitome of "redneck") and I'm sure the vast majority of people were Christian, but it was also a public event in a public place owned and operated by the city.  It was a city function put on by tax dollars.  It is beyond belief to me that the announcer would take the time (and especially that particular moment as everyone is standing and waiting!) to harangue his captive audience about his religious beliefs.

Am I over reacting?  Or was this just not the time nor place for a religious sermon?

1. Deaconess profile image59
      Deaconessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Since it was a government sponsored event, this public sermon absolutely should not have taken place. You are definitely not overreacting. A letter to your local newspaper editor is definitely called for here, emphasizing how we should not allow religion to creep into our government this way, not because it 'offends' anyone, but because the separation of religion and state MUST absolutely be enforced. Our nation will quickly regress to McCarthyism if we don't put an end to this trend!

2. Jerami profile image78
      Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I feel bad about my self for saying this ....   But I agree ...

Mostly cause that probably wasn't much but a lot of pretenciousness. 

God don't stand on wobbly stilts.

Time and place for everything!! 
         We as believers should speak as He did !!  Small quiet wisper
      catahes more flies than vinigar....  OR ... Honey.

3. pylos26 profile image76
      pylos26posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are not over reacting wilderness...should one expect a rodeo if one attends a sermon.

wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Unless maybe it's a "bully pulpit"! lol  Never thought about it that way - you have a point.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

If you are asking me, there is never a good time for a sermon. smile

lol lol  Actually, I agree although I tolerate most such nonsense - even the whacko shouting on the street corner that God is coming tomorrow.  Not so much the guys in ties that come to my door and demand I learn about their God, but even that doesn't disgust me the way this did.

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm tolerate of those who come to my home, and that tolerance lasts for a while, depending on your perspective. There are times I'll answer the door and they begin their talk, then I'll take two steps backwards and simply shut the door, while at the same time, have a nice day. wink

However, you are talking about a state funded function, for which, government should not be injecting religion into it for any reason. I wouldn't say you are over-reacting, I would say your reaction is right on mark. smile

3. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

I guess you guys are serious about no religion at your rodeo, huh? Tell you the truth , it used to be a common practice to at least introduce your kids to god, or at least religion, bible camp at a closed for summer time school , sunday school ,Etc. No surprise, that in todays enviroment, that we are so easily offended by religion. Rodeos are generally a "redneck thing" , yes its true, Maybe, so to is god?

1. Dave Barnett profile image61
      Dave Barnettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It used to be common practice to trust to the spirit to educate those who the spirit wishes to enlighten. It is christian hubris which makes one believe that the almighty needs us to define his will.

1. ahorseback profile image54
        ahorsebackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That might be tue with adults ,  wih children though? My point is an  introduction is ok, aside fom fanatics  , a small start of introducing a child to the  choice isn't ok? wow!

If the child has been trained to actually reason, effectively and logically, it can do no harm to introduce them the all of the various mythologies of the world.  Current thinking is that the area of brain responsible for such reasoning ability generally develops in the early 20's.

If, on the other hand, it is done in an effort to indoctrinate the child into believing that myth is in fact reality then it is a great disservice to the child.  Children are far too impressionable and will often believe whatever they are told - think Santa Clause and the tooth fairy.