Who wrote/authored Deuteronomy? It cannot be Moses as it is written in its chapter 34:
 And he buried him in the valley of the land of Moab over against Phogor: and no man hath known of his sepulchre until this present day.  Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, neither were his teeth moved.  And the children of Israel mourned for him in the plains of Moab thirty days: and the days of their mourning in which they mourned for Moses were ended.
Moses could have not written the above sentences, obviously.
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
According to the Modern scolars who study the subject, the Hypothesis is it was an anonymous writer who around 621 BC supposedly wrote Deuteronomy. They know very little about him (or her). What they do know is that, even though he claimed 40 times in Deuteronomy that Moses wrote Deuteronomy to give it credibility, he (the writer) actually was the author. Some call this literary fraud, others call it writing pseudonymously.
in truth no one knows. Most religions accept Moses as the Author with litterary liscense. In truth that claim is un-proven to date.
According to the Hebrews, Moses wrote nearly all of it. It was finished by others, more than one.
Logic says, He couldn't have recorded his own death or after.
What is your point?
It is referred to in (Joshua 8:31; 1 Kings 2:9; 2 Kings 14:6; 2 Chronicles 23:18; 25:4; 34:14; Ezra 3:2; 7:6; Nehemiah 8:1; Daniel 9:11, 13) which proves its antiquity.
Chapters were added to the front and back.
Deuteronomy was written by deuteronomist scholars. It was set down as parabolic teachings, similar to aesop's fables. These were tales of morality to keep people's hearts and minds in the right place.
Deuteronomy was written by a bunch of psychos who wanted to control the masses and swiped their material from many of the gods that came before it was even conceived of, going all the way back to ra as a pre-existing psychological need.
god is a psychological archetype, a response to the lizard brain.
It is a pile of old cobblers!
He also wrote "Green Eggs and Ham - don't eat the ham"
"The Cat in the Yarmulke"
"Horton hears a Jew"
Moses could have not written the sentence that he died and was buried in Moab.
All we get are stories, suppositions, assumptions, of what happened. The texts that have survived were written thousands of years later. These texts were found in deteriorating conditons were all you could read were fragments. Then you have to go through the ordeal of translating these texts from their original ancient languages where a lot of the meaning gets lost. On top of it, these were texts written by human beings, not by God ... It is human nature to exagerate things and to add our own logic and opinions to whatever story we tell. So, how can anyone believe these texts as the ultimate truth?
What our friend klarawieck wrote about Genesis is also relevant here about Deuteronomy. I agree with him/her.
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
Paarsurrey, what is your point here? Are you trying to discredit the OT? No offense, honestly... but I'm trying to figure out what is your motive in asking who wrote Genesis and then this one??????
The Qu'ran says the Torah is indeed of Allah/God!!!
Sura 5:44 - "Surely We revealed the Taurat (Torah/Bible Old Testament) in which was guidance and light", with it the prophets who submitted themselves....
- Sura 5:46 - And We sent after them in their footsteps Isa, son of Marium, verifying what was before him of the Taurat (Jewish Torah) and We gave him the Injeel (Christian Gospels) in which was guidance and light, and verifying what was before it of Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for those who guard (against evil).
- Sura 5.68 - Say: O followers of the Book! you follow no good till you keep up the Taurat and the Injeel and that which is revealed to you from your Lord;
- Sura 6.154: Again, We gave the Book (Torah) to Musa to complete (Our blessings) on him who would do good (to others), and making plain all things and a guidance and a mercy, so that they should believe in the meeting of their Lord.
- Sura 6.155: And this (Torah) is a Book We have revealed, blessed; therefore follow it and guard (against evil) that mercy may be shown to you.
- Sura 29:46 "And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one;
- Sura 32:23 - And certainly We gave the Book to Musa, so be not in doubt concerning the receiving of it, and We made it a guide for the children of Israel.
- Sura 43:63 - When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: "Now have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute: therefore fear Allah and obey me.
- Sura 46:12 we are told.... "And before it the Book of Musa (Moses) (Torah) was a guide and a mercy: and this is a Book verifying (it) in the Arabic language that it may warn those who are unjust and as good news for the doers of good......
4 days ago
I'm just curious as to your motives??? It may be innocent, or are you trying to discredit the OT? I'm asking so you can clear it up for me.
And to answer the question in your thread:
The book of deuteronomy was probably written by many authors... all of whom were inspired from God! I believe Moses probably wrote some of it or more likely his diaries were used by the authors... but it's impossible that he wrote all of it and it may be more possible that he wrote none of it!
Many believe that moses wrote the first books of the bible... but we know this cannot be completely true. As I stated above I think he did write some.
Scholars break down authors into sources known as Yahwist (J source), Elohist (E source), Deuteronomist (D source) and the Priestly source (P source). These authors are clearly anonymous!
paar you ask the names of everybody that wrote Deuteronomy, can you name the names of all that wrote the Quran please?
Who wrote Deuteronomy?
Name the person or persons with the evidence if any.
1. “The Lord buried him in a valley in Moab, opposite the town of Bethpeor, but to this day no one knows the exact place of his burial.” (Deuteronomy 34:6)
2. “No other prophet has been able to do the great and terrifying things that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.”(Deuteronomy 34:12)
3. “…the Lord showed him the whole land: the territory of Gilead as far north as the town of Dan; 2 the entire territory of Naphtali; the territories of Ephraim and Manasseh; the territory of Judah as far west as the Mediterranean Sea; 3 the southern part of Judah; and the plain that reaches from Zoar to Jericho, the city of palm trees.” (Deut 34:1b-3)
4. “10 Since that time no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face, 11 for all the signs and wonders which the LORD sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants, and all his land, 12 and for all the mighty power and for all the great terror which Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.” (Deuteronomy 34:10-12)
by paarsurrey6 years ago
Hi friendsI don't know who wrote Genesis? Its author cannot be Moses; he is not mentioned in it.Any idea with reasons and arguments. ThanksI am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
by My Esoteric4 years ago
Most Biblical Scholars now believe that the Book of Job was written by at least two people at very different times. The oldest part is the main story, a poem, and the prelude and conclusion were composed at an...
by superwags5 years ago
Why is it constantly claimed that there are only ten commandments in the bible when there patently aren't. There are at least 50! There's 20 or so in Exodus and Dueteronomy each. Is there a reason why mainstream...
by paarsurrey6 years ago
Hi friendsTalmud does not consist of Word of Revelation.So it is not the first source; it is a secondary / subordinate source subservient to Torah. Do you agree?ThanksI am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
by jerami5 years ago
Before I begin; I want to say, I do believe in GOD and the Messiah. So I'm not disputing the existence of God. Though I do dispute many discriptions of him and where he is. I'm just asking a...
by Rad Man4 years ago
I have written a hub on this subject and I recently came across this video. It's part 3/3, and I didn't take the time to what the first 2 parts yet, but it's fascinating.http://youtu.be/fm-bTW3FhL0
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.