If You Were Eve

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

This is a question for men or women as it is more of a philosophical question than one of gender.

If you were Eve, would you have taken from the tree or obeyed God?

1. Rishy Rich profile image73
      Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to look at my prescribed diet first... smile

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not a fair question bc knowing what I know now affects my answer.

Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then, forget what you know and just answer the question from the perspective of your own personal values. smile

1. lady_love158 profile image61
          lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

K, lets see, some booming voice says I can live in paradise where all of my needs are taken care of and I never have to worry about a thing and in exchange all I have to do is not eat fruit from one tree... sounds like a no-brainer if you ask me!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol    (It's pretty convenient that the story makes the woman look like the cause of all problems (especially in a world that's been as messed up by men as this one has since the beginning of time.  lol  )  (Of course, I'm still a little puzzled about the thing with Eve and her kids - and then everybody else showed up.  (???)  Something was rotten in Denmark, I'd say (or should I say, "in the Garden of Eden"?)

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a NEW EVE.

Watch the video :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAVA4hx … re=related

(a good eve.........) to replace the sinful one.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I prob would have sinned too. For we are human.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how come eating is sinning?...if god wanted not to eat..why did god create tree at first place..now since it did and somebody ate fruit from it..it is joint responsibility...now god can't escape from the price just bcoz god owns the system..that is called immoral...

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    5. stilljustwonderin profile image60
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is always so easy to say what we would do, or wouldn't do, in any given situation.   The thing is, unless we are in that situation we really don't know.  I would like to think that I wouldn't take of the fruit of that tree.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...had to chuckle with this question....wonder where this thread will go...

well...my first thought...is I'd definitely eat something 'cause it looked really tasty...after I was finished...and then no doubt I'd grab Adam and have some fun...why not?

...can't remember what the big guy said....

Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that's what Eve thought, too. I mean, how often do women actually listen to men? big_smile

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

If I were Eve, I would still be trying to find directions on how to get to the tree! big_smile

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

I am a person who questions authority, so I'm sure I would have taken from the tree.

5. profile image0
    exjwlaurieposted 13 years ago

Well I'm sure this will cause a "dust-up" with much of the female audience, but my thought has always been this: 

Eve was created "from" one of Adam's ribs(Gen 2:22).  She was given to him as a help-mate by God (Gen 2:18,20b). God intended for the woman to be in subjection to her husband.  He was to instructed her, love her, care for her--together they were as "one flesh"(Gen 2:24). 

Eve's first mistake was to listen to the serpent, especially when what the serpent spoke was in direct conflict with what her husband had told her, which he had received directly from the Creator.

Her next mistake was to allow the deceitful reasoning to enter into her heart, so that she looked upon the tree with "desire" (Gen 3:6). 

Her next mistake, was that she SHOULD have told the serpent that she needed to speak to her husband about the matter before she broke the 'only law' that God had given to them, regarding what NOT to do!

If Even HAD told the serpent that she was going to be obedient to what her husband had taught her, which had come from God, things may have ended differently.

If Eve had told the serpent--"Look, I am not going to do anything of the sort, UNTIL I speak to my husband about it--things probably would have turned out differently!

Okay--I know, this is probably NOT going to be a widely accepted viewpoint, but that is what I think--none the less!

1. profile image0
    2. stilljustwonderin profile image60
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that why men doesn't listen to women now? 
      That Eve sure did cause a lot of trouble!
      big_smile

6. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

We have the knowledge of what happened when she disobeyed God. So by hindsight, I would not have done what she did

7. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

It wasn't a tree. I know that doesn't answer your question but it should be food for thought...

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

and yet, an apple a day is said to keep the doctor away (and these days, apples are said to be a "super food").  Go figure.  The moral to the story is, "If a serpent ever shows up and tells  you eat an apple, get your apple at the grocery store instead."

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's because I live in an isolated part of the globe but with thousands of snakes here I still have not been offered an apple by one. smile

Where I live all there are little grass snakes, and none of them has ever done anything but run away from me.   (Hmmm.   Either Satan has decided to stay away from New England (unlikely, from what I see going on in my local news), or else I, for some reason, scare him away every time I rake leaves and run into him.  I think I'll go with the thing that I - and a woman, by the way -  scare Satan.  lol  )

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

It wasn't a snake. just like it wasn't a tree.
          Did you ever really answer the question that was asked?

2. profile image0

wasn't a snake and wasn't an apple. Even on this topic you can't stretch yourself to more an what equates to a one liner. sheesh. lol

The subject is not worth more, and your comments can be read elsewhere. smile

1. Paradise7 profile image69
            Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You go, Earnest! big_smile

The personal insults usually follow as night follows day. smile
              Wait for it! He doesn't read what he writes let alone other posts! lol

1. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true as an over all statement.  All of the time!

9. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

knowing what I know now, the answer is no, I am still mad at Eve, for eating that fruit. Because now I have to suffer through those pesky periods every month. It's all her fault.

I always thought that involved a curse of some sort.  Did God do curses, besides the whole weeping-and-gnashing-of-teeth thing?   hmm  Either way, hang in for a few decades and that pesky situation eventually goes away and is replaced by brittle bones and all kinds of other horrible things passed down from that scoundrel, Eve.  Oh wait - weren't women made out of some surgical situation involving Adam's rib??  Hey!!  We get the osteoporosis thing from ADAM!!!   mad

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
    2. profile image0

yah life was so much better in the garden and God only promises to help with child rearing not child bearing, but i am willing to believe that he helps with the other, although he's not saying lol

10. Windsweptplains profile image60
    Windsweptplainsposted 13 years ago

I wish I could say I would have obeyed God, but I think that my sin nature would have taken over. Hindsight is 20/20.

1. profile image0
  11. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

good luck to you guys lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)