jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

who wants to have a referendum about the relevancy of the religion forum in hub

1. SilentReed profile image88
    SilentReedposted 6 years ago

Besides serving as a stage for airing personal prejudice and bias, has the religion forum contributed anything to the improvement and quality of writing in Hubpages?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

its up to the site owners, if they see it of no value or of value. Their call.

2. goldenpath profile image81
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

Nope!  That's why I rarely entertain them anymore.  Serious inquiries I answer via email but the forums are not the place for religious discussion.  Religious forums are where the fiends, both physical and spirit, reside and lie in wait for those who are sincere and honest.  Gee - it kinda works like politics! smile

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The "fiends" would be people like me who recognise that religion is bollocks! smile

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Earnest, I guess I fall into that classification too. lol

You could be a starter that's true! lol

3. 60
    SeeLhouetteposted 6 years ago

"Where two or three persons are gathered in my name, there I am in their midst."  Anywhere, that is, so long as it is done for His glory, the message will not return empty nor will it be futile.

4. RFox profile image81
    RFoxposted 6 years ago

Hmmmmmmm....well about a year ago there was some interesting discourse in the religion forum....

Don't know much about the new group of religious Hubber's here as I've only just reacquainted myself with the boards...

It's entertaining at least! big_smile

We had a short period when we had a discussion going where not one religious nut intervened with goddunnut, but it never got to be a discussion. smile

1. RFox profile image81
        RFoxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's a shame. I remember there were two or three Christians here last year (wish I could remember their names!! So bad with names!) who we were having very interesting discussions with. Mark was involved, Sandy, Misha and a bunch of others.

There has always been some mudslinging but I remember the one thread went on forever with people actually 'discussing' for and against their belief systems rather than simply letting it degenerate into personal attacks and obstinate circular logic nightmares.

Of course this all happened not long after the religion forum was created. I even remember everyone asking for a religion forum so we could have cross cultural discussions!

5. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

It's definitely deteriorated, prolly due to sharp HP popularity growth last year. sad

But referendum?! yikes LOL, thanks god HP is NOT a government entity big_smile

1. RFox profile image81
      RFoxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed! big_smile

Although what a sad commentary on human existence if the religion forum had to be shut down because people couldn't learn to get along and discuss things in a civilized manner.

'Heated debates' can exist without mudslinging and personal vendettas. Passionate opposition to a topic doesn't have to lead to name calling. Intellectual arguments can stay intellectual.

Either people have thinner skins, sharper tongues or we've too closely confused our belief systems with our own sense of self worth. (And I include all Atheist, Theist, Scientific philosophies etc etc under the umbrella of 'belief systems').

I don't know which it is.....but there's definitely something going on.. sad