Was the response of the disciples natural, appropriate and/or exemplar

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Matthew mentions that all the disciples fled away from the scene of the Cross, when Jesus was hanging in agony on the Cross and needed them the most.

Was the response of the disciples natural, appropriate and/or exemplary?

Do you expect they should have done more than they did?

Thanks

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was natural Parr.  Their leader, mentor and teacher was just crusified, they were warned by him they could also suffer the same fait, what would you expect, they were only twelve in number, the Roman army was 12,000- to ten fold that number.

what a stupid question Parr!   good grief!

also I may ask you the same. Peacefull Muslums every where say terrorism is wrong, when you ask them individualy, but where are they when they should stand up with us collectively, I do not see them offering to join the fight along side of us?

I am US born Anti -terror american!!!!!!!!!

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It means they did not believe that Jesus was the christian-god as the Christian like to have us believe and Jesus was going to become alive after death. Had they believed it they did not  have to run away? if Jesus chritian-god was to become alive; he could make them alive again if they feared death.

It is a made up story of Jesus being god or son of god.

you really are full of garbage Parr, you have nothing to offer us here.

The cult you belong to is a censored group, censored by the very Islam leaders you up-hold?  you are a contradiction not a belief. You follow a sham of a man who is nothing more than a self proclaimed re-incarnate of Muhammad, whom is considered by the Islamic leadership as worth of censorship and dis-association with and from all Muslims. They have even issued a warning about your sect to all Muslims. I went and read about your belief. It is fake, a Muslim cult.

clean up your own back yard first, then preach of God if you still have the audacity to. You fly in the faces of true Islam.

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it means their fear is greater than their faith

2. skye2day profile image68
      skye2dayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe the disciples were vulnerable, sad and in fear. When a friend gets Berry down and out how many friends are going to stick around and see you through the muddy mire? I wonder if we could count them on our fingers, out of all our Friends. It does not mean they do not love or care. It usually means they do not want to get too involved in the 'dirt' of the matter it is easier to walk away and let someone else help. Selfish maybe but I am not the judge. I think God was showing us they were human and the ONLY guarantee in life that will never change or disappoint is the King of Kings. The Lord of All the universe. He never changes his mind. He always keeps his word. 'He will never leave or forsake us' Man cant keep promises. We break them all the time. The disciples were sinners as we all are. They did not mean to hurt Jesus and I bet they felt awful the next day because of leaving HIM and loving HIM so much at the same time. Jesus is so awesome he just loved them he knew how they felt.

2. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

What exactly do you think that they could have done?

I think that the disciples scattered the night before.
    Only the two Marys and the disciple that he loved, were at the cross.

1. profile image52

If as ,per Bible, Jesus was to resurrect from the dead and, as per Church, he was a god; then all the disciples should have stayed there to see Jesus getting alive from the dead.

If they would have been killed by the Jews; their god, as per Bible, would have raised from the dead again.

So, there was no risk.

If one could stay, as per John, the rest also could; and no harm was done to John.

pure self-serving BS,  trying to make your Cult look great, and the Bible seem less.

He told them of it before it happened Paar. He said, you can not accompany me, where I go you can not. They already knew the result, he taught them of it.

Go back to your Cult Parr, Pakistan is looking or a few Holier than thou men!

3. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

I think, considering what they thought at the time it would be natural.  The disciples had been looking for the Messiah to come and bring God's kingdom.  They didn't understand the scriptures concerning Jesus's crucifixion.  So when Jesus was taken, and crucified they thought they were wrong concerning him.  He appeared to them after his resurrection and Thomas wouldn't believe until he saw and touched him.

Even if they had fully understood what was happening, there wasn't anything they could do.  Scripture had to be fulfilled.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Hebrew priests were very familiar with the book of Daniel.

When Alexander the Great was marching his army to Jerusalem with intentions of taking it. the priests went forward to meet him. Showed Alexander the scriptures (Daniel 8:21) and confirmed that it was the will of God for Israel to be subservient to him.

What I'm getting at is they knew that the Roman Empire was the fourth Beast as described in Daniel 7:23 and 8:9.

They misunderstood this scripture to imply that the Messiah would come during the reign of the king that replaces the three kings after the first ten kings of this fourth kingdom.  (Daniel 7:24)

In other words...  the Messiah arrived about ten kings earlier than they were expecting him.

Imagine that.  Interpreting prophesy messed them up.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They were also looking for him to come out of Bethlehem.  Which Jesus was born in Bethlehem, but when he came to them it was out of Nazareth.
        They thought no good thing would come out of Nazareth.

Not understanding scripture.

Hind sight is 20/20.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They understood 95% of their prophesys correctly.
             It is amazing that being 5% off can cause ya to miss the boat entirely.

I'm going to go fall down now  good night.

Huggs

Yes, but, can we honestly say that if we were living back then that we would have known?    Would we have understood?

" It is amazing that being 5% off can cause ya to miss the boat entirely"

Yeah, that's why we need to keep our bags packed and watching for the boat to pull in.

Time for bed.
            Love ya

2. profile image52

This proves that they were not inspired by the holy Spirit.

The event you posted your question on was before the resurrection.
        The Holy Spirit came upon them "after"  the resurrection.

1. profile image52

So you mean the holy Spirit did not exist before the event of cross?

He did exist,  he didn't fill our hearts with his spirit, until after the cross.

John 16-7
            "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away, the Comforter will  not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him to you."

1. profile image52

That might be John's narration only; these are not Jesus' words.  Please quote Jesus' words written by him or dictated by him.

Isiah 44-3
                For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground; I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessings upon thy offspring.

Luke 24-49  (Jesus speaking to his disciples after his resurrection)
                And behold I send the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until you be endued with power from on high.

Acts 2-4
                And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

2. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It proves that they were human

3. skipper112 profile image60
        skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paar you discount everything anybody says, you even go so far as to insult  go so far at to try to make anybody that will not agree to your cults point of view, you say ONLY what you think, you will not even QUOTE from the Quran even though it is PURE HEARSAY you have NOTHING TO SAY THAT MAKES ANYTHING YOU  SAY VALID ......................... Go back to your Muslim sect, which mainstream Muslims DO NOT BELIVE in fact  IT IS BANNED you can never go to MECCA you are not wanted by TRUE MUSLIMS and when you answer my post STICK TO THE SUBJECT do not start a new one as you always do .................

4. profile image52

Was the response of the disciples natural, appropriate and/or exemplary?

The response of Joseph Armithea and Nicodemus was natural and praise-worthy; they looked for an opportunity to save their master; and as soon as they saw an oppurtunity they took Jesus' injured body from the officials and took him hurriedly for the treatment to a tomb. They treated him with the ointment called "Marham-e-Issa" or "Marham-e Hawariyyeen" or "Ointment of Jesus" or " Ointment of the Diciples"; it is mentioned in the ancient medical books of the pre-Islamic period.

Spoken by a man, belonging to an Islamic Cult, and the Cult censored by Islamic leadership?  And we all should believe you?  you are a fake sir.

you are here to get hits on your cults web-site only.

2. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is hearsay! Nothing more! Muhammad wanted people to believe Jesus did not die on the cross! And he fooled a many of people... and you continue in his madness....except you are in a cult that even your own people snarl their noses to!

Muhammad take a long look in the mirror and start with the man in the mirror if you want truth!!

3. hanging out profile image61
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the disciples fled or seemingly fled. There was nothing they could do. Jesus did not need them at that point in time. It was best they left and lived than stayed and perhaps died.
      There is nothing wrong with their actions.
      Worse was done by peter by denying jesus three times and yet Jesus restored him completely, keeping peter as a disciple.
      Just because the disciples left is no reason to dis resurrection.
      so i answer: natural and appropriate and i will include their lives were exemplary

4. hanging out profile image61

jesus wasn't even in the tomb for probably more than an hour, perhaps not even a minute. He had other work to do that wouldn't allow him to just hang around, so as soon as joseph left, Jesus was risen and outta there. Once that big stone got rolled across and sealed there is no way it was gonna open for anybody.
      in the belly of the whale for three days and nights.... that doesn't mean he was just sleeping or laying around dead, Jesus was up and doing the will of the father again...
        Matthew 27:52   And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
        Matthew 27:53   And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
      Jesus went to other graves and preached his gospel to these saints and they in bodily form went home to live their lives fully. Not the old testament saints people of jesus' time.
      But he was not healed by any balm.... jesus, son of god, God in the flesh, did not need that he could easily heal himself.

1. profile image52

He feared and did not meet the Jews; the Christian-god feared them very much and avoided them ; lest they got hold of him again and put him on the Cross again. He met others secretly and in the night; not in the open daylight to everybody.

Am I right?

1. hanging out profile image61

not even close.
          christian god fears nothing.
          He put himself on the cross
          bible says he met people both day and night

1. profile image52

They there was no need to take him in the tombe; they should have left him where he was delivered from the Cross; they should have waited that a physician sees him and certify that he had died.

But they took him hurriedly to the tomb.

#1  Mark 15:44   And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.
                Mark 15:45   And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
              A centurion is a very reliable source if one wants to know if something is dead or not.
              Mark 15:39   And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.
              DEAD.
              #2  Luke 23:44   And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
              You may well know that the day starts at 6pm approximately. They had 3 hrs left after the 9th hour to deal with dead bodies in the city because the following day was a sabbath day and no dead bodies were allowed to be hanging around in the city on a sabbath day. Between going to pilate etc... Jesus hung there lifeless for a considerable amount of time. The only hurrying they would have done was to get him buried before the next day began.

1. profile image52

Please name the countries in which the death certificates are issued by the centurians instead of the physicians or doctors.?

I don't believe you

I quoted scripture. I am not asking you to believe me when i quote scripture.

Obviously the centurion outranked a physician as the centurions word was enough that pilate said okay to joseph to have the body.
                  Heres a full account
                  John 19:31   The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

John 19:32   Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.

John 19:33   But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:

John 19:34   But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

John 19:35  And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe. (the disciple john)

John 19:36   For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. (prophesy fulfilled)

John 19:37   And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced. (2 prophesy fulfilled)

John 19:38   And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.

John 19:39   And there came also Nicodemus,(a believing pharisee) which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. (there was no hurrying)

John 19:40   Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

John 19:41   Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.

John 19:42   There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

1. profile image52

hanging out wrote earlier:

"A centurion is a very reliable source if one wants to know if something is dead or not."

Paarsurrey says:

That was a general statement drawing a principle which is/was not there.

It seems there was an underhand dealing between the officials/pilate and the friends of Jesus. Pilate only needed a pretext to hand injured Jesus to the friends of Jesus; the centurion provided that.

2. skipper112 profile image60

no paar you are as always wrong

5. profile image52

When one applies reason; I will be there.

Bible does not belong to Jesus; he never read it; he never preached it. Did he? Did he ever read Matthew, Marks, John and Luke; he never did it. Mary also never read it.

It started with Paul and Church; it has nothing to do with Jesus and Mary.

1. skipper112 profile image60

and MOHAMMED never read the Quran or preached from it, for two reasons Mohammed can not read and he was DEAD I am sick of your half unproven so called facts Paar unless you were there you DO NOT KNOW WHAT PILATE was thinking!! do you read minds too?

6. profile image52

Show me the name Jesus in the OT. It is not there you know.

Don't you think it is necessary that the prophecy should have mentioned the name Jesus literally as Mary would have named her son?

The messiah is not mentioned by name in the OT because then you would have everybody naming their child jesus.

1. Greek One profile image64

like the roster of a Latin American baseball team

2. profile image52

Now we get a principle that it is not essential that proper name of a person is mentionedi in the previous scriptures by the Prophets_________A

Won't that confuse the people if their are more that one claimants?

What difference does it make if everybody names one's children as Jesus? The real Jesus would be known because of other signs.

Do you agree?

1. Greek One profile image64

Not really Paar... look how many people who, like yourself, confuse Mirza Ghulam Ahmad for a holy man and not the con artist that he was.

2. hanging out profile image61

no i don't exactly. It can be argued either way.
          I think the secret name keeps the traffic of messiahs down in number because anyone not having that name would be excluded but anyone having that name would be automatically included.
          I don't think its a big point in the sight of the other indicators?

paar BELIVE THIS   FACT THAT NO ONE BELIEVES A WORD YOU SAY it is simple EVEN TRUE MUSLIMS TREAT YOUR SECT WITH DISBELIFE AND SCORN  you have never got anything across to anybody.

so Paar try and go to MECCA and see what TRUE MUSLIMS DO TO YOU, it is required of all Muslims to visit MECCA at least one time in their life, EXCEPT YOUR SECT..........................................

2. profile image52

Messiahs were rampant at the time Jesus was born; so the numbers could not be restricted.

People interpret the secret names differently; the original text in the original word revealed; people translate them, so the secret name is lost in the abstraction.

Won't it be essential to mention the proper name, in this scenario, to avoid any confusion?

Thanks

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

I think the 3,945,876 miracles that jesus did eliminated the need for a proper name.

1. profile image52

Did Jesus mention this figures and that he had shown these miracles; one that Jesus pronounced for the adulterous Jews; that Chiristian don't believe that Jesus survived death on Cross and went to India. Do they?

PAAR YOU ARE A LOW INSULTING MEMBER OF A MUSLIM CULT THAT EVEN ISLAM BANS FROM GOING TO MECCA
                  you DO NOT LOVE MARY OR JESUS you are always INSULTING THEM BOTH
                  NO one came off the CROSS ALIVE paar!!!
                  how many posts do you have to have , how long untill you wake up to the TRUTH??
                  paar in one of your last posts ( find it in another of your many posts)in another blog you placed the Jewish Torah and the Muslim Quran as equal????
                  Tell me ONE MIRACLE that Allah or Mohammed preformed?
                  Why do you think so many Muslims are MINDLESSLY  CALLED MOHAMMED, WILL THIS GIVE THEN FAVOUR WITH MOHAMMED OR ALLAH?
                  Why did Mohammed state when Mohammed was alive  to be remembered by  many, then  to be written down ( after Mohammed's death, ) by  so many, without any mistakes, that Mohammed can have over 12  wives but any other Muslim man  can only have four wives?

Why did Mohammeds wife not see the Angel that Mohammed was seeing yet, Mohammeds wife showed the ( so called Angel) her private parts , then the Angel ( that she could not see) left Mohammed then Mohameds  wife took many hours to calm Mohammed down??
                  I do not know what Mohammed saw but I do know  truthfully it was not a angel from God the father to show your 'private parts to a so called angel of God is  'sick', evil and wicked paar do you agree?

Why do you only ATTACK Jesus and the Christian bible . and never your beloved Torah, are you also a Jew Paar??

paar please before you have the whole world laughing at your silly posts, speak only the truth, stop Christian bashing, do not even think you love Jesus or Mary, they are not from your faith and Jesus and Mary are only in the Quran because Mohammed took from the Holy Bible to try and discredit Jesus and Mary that was just another way  of your so called Prophet so he can look good in Allah's eyes, you can never speak for Jesus or Mary as they are NOT MUSLIM that is what I belive and I am sick of your 1/2 truths.
                  Speak with proof of your words paar or SHUT UP
                  NO PAAR NO PERSON CAME OFF THE CROSS ALIVE SO YOU CAN STOP THIS LIE RIGHT NOW
                  you see Paar I know if Jesus is the TRUE son of God it proves Ialsm is NOT THE TRUE FAITH, so you have to try and discredit Jesus Christ, Mary St Paul and the Church to try and make people belive in Islam, you must CONTINUE TO BE FOOLED BY THE DEVIL, nothing you say or invent can prove to anybody that Jesus did not die on the CROSS therefore Ialam and Muslims are MISTAKED AND FOOLED BY THE DEVIL PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)