What would life be like for you if you were atheist?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (143 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Having a religion instantly puts meaning into your life, while atheism has no real meaning for life. What if god didn't  exist? How would you cope? Would life be Way harder on you? But mainly my
    Main question is how would you cope with life and what would you think about life and death?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

We already know that you guys only believe to give meaning to your life. The fact that the meaning you have chosen turns you into condescending hypocrites and causes constant fights seems odd to me. Not a purpose I would choose for my life, but that is your choice. I see you get a lot of satisfaction attacking other people and judging them wrongly. I know that is a big part of your beliefs system, and this is one reason I choose not to jump on your religious bandwagon.

Myself - I desire peace instead of constant division and wars which is what your religion is all about. Sadly - I suspect you are incapable of determining why this is and who actually benefits.

I see you are also not interested in hearing how to stop doing this so I will not bother. Either way - there is no god, no matter how hard you wish it to be true, and when you are dead you do not live forever.

Sorry. You must be very angry. sad

Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No idiot. Read a little, I am the op and I am atheist. I swear it is really embarrassing that most atheists don't even read posts and already know what they are going to say every time. Not that there aren't religious people that are similar to you, but honestly you all need to grow up.

I see.

I read what you wrote - sadly it is meaningless garbage and contradicts itself in order to attack other "atheists."

Just another religionist attacking every one. We have had quite a few religionisst lie and pretend to be atheists.

I do not have to face a terrible demon that is death. I will die - as we all do. Not a demon to face - simply a fact of life.

Oh - and personal attacks are frowned upon here. I never make a complaint but - some people do.

Best I could say is you seem confused. Aggressive - but confused. Oh - and adding your email address to your hubs is all but guaranteed to attract spam.

By the way - atheists do not believe in god. At all. No need to give God his dues. Seems to be you are trying to be areligious. And failing badly. No wonder you are so angry. wink

What are you talking about? Are you 16? If you read my question it is not directed at atheists nor do I care what you have to say. I asked a question to the religious because I was curious. You retards just came in here expecting a fight against a religious person. Too bad though your immaturity got you involved in something that you were wrong about.

You guys are so caught up in there is no god you forget what life is all about.

My thread is pointless? Lol pointless to you, a self-conscious know it all who thinks he knows everything. Too bad you met someone smarter, go sit down.

One thing and one thing matters in life. Happiness. If you need religion to make you happy why would I try to disprove it. Being an atheist you should know that there is only one life. So why start arguments on something that is good for many people.

You are right personal attacks are uncalled for especially when you go out of your way to attack me, and on top of it completely blowing it by not reading. You came to my zone, I didnt come to you. Next time you think you are feeling smart maybe you should read first.

LOL

I did read LOLOL You claim to be an agnostic, and an atheist and to give God his due. Which is it? You were the one that started this argument. Specifically picked a fight.

And when I say personal attacks - this includes calling me an idiot and a retard.

I wonder if you actually read what you wrote? And seriously - why start the fight in the first place? Did it make you happy? wink

2. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

uh, Mark, a little contradiction in terms. You are either agnostic or atheist. Agnostics aren't committed, atheists are.  Look it up. Now, the question was if I were an atheist, which is actually the first part. If I were an atheist, then I would have  gotten a comeuppance in 1980 (which I did) Second  part: If God doesn't exist, then 1980 would have been like any   other year.

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't get insulted, but is your job devoted to spreading ignorance? I have friends and relatives who have real meaning to their lives and are non-believers.

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheism isn't about having meaning in ones life, it is about not accepting the claims of believers that refer to their religious beliefs. I would submit that believers have no meaning in their lives if they must resort to Bronze Age myths and superstitions to find meaning.

What if they did exist? Wouldn't we all know it?

Unless, you're one of the many who are starving to death in the world, why would you need to cope with life? smile

4. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I entirely disagree. From the standpoint of being religious, of following some religious instruction for how to live, one is acting like a child in that they are doing certain things in life to not be punished. While, Athiests or non believers do good things for the sake being good, to actually help altruistically. We act kindly or attempt to act kindly, not to go to Heaven, but without the need to go to Heaven. It is a dramatically more moral way to live actually.

5. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm an atheist and there is plenty of meaning in my life, I am not entirely sure I understand exactly where you are coming from, I think you need to understand that Religon is a well constructed prison, Atheism allows you to enjoy life through your own morals without having archaic restictions preventing you from enjoying teh simple things in life.

6. Woman Of Courage profile image61
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If God didn't exist, there would be no meaning in my life. I would feel empty inside. I would feel trapped in my own world of my own desires. If there was no opportunity to life after death, then I would have no reason to be kind to people and their beliefs. Without God, I wouldn't know my purpose for living now.

No reason to be kind to people unless you get to live forever?  And that is why you are so condescending? And you call it "kind"? How sad. sad

And some how your purpose of living now is to live later - when u r ded? lol

1. Druid Dude profile image60

Nothing EVER leaves this universe. Including that thing we call consciousness, unless of course, consciousness, like god, doesn't exist.

So many unsupported statements...so little TIME! lol

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Oh my goodness! You are a expert of twisting words and being manipulative. All my words above were related to the unkind behaviors I have observed in you and the other atheists on the christian forums. I can see that you believe you are here on this earth to only live and die. That's so sad. Have a blessed day.

2. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, your God does not exist.  I guess you can stop pretending to be nice. 

What kind of desires does one have to possess for him/her to feel trapped?

Not even Stephen Hawking says that god doesn't exist. You must be WAY smarter than him! Give yourself a hearty pat on the back!

1. profile image50
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean the Atheists Agnostics misinterpreted Stephen Hawking when they attribute to him that he said that god doesn't exist.

EMPHATICALLY! From the HORSE's MOUTH. Stephen Hawking said in the interveiw w/ Larry King  that "The creation of the universe was 100% explainable by theoretical physics. Not that God doesn't exist, but that his services were not required to create it. Also, keep in     mind that he outlined a THEORY (not a FACT). This theory states that gravitational influences caused NOTHING to EXPLODE. I think the theory might have a black hole in it.

1. profile image50

Hi friend Druid Dude

I think you forgot to close the inverted commas; please revise so that we could understand  as to where the words ofStephen Hawking ended.

Please make the necessary corrections.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. Merlin Fraser profile image60
              Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stephen Hawking did not say God did not exist he said God was not necessary as part of the equation in the creation of the Universe.

I'm not sure Hawking has ever said one way or the other if he believes God exists or not.

1. profile image50

The Creator-God Allah YHWH has set everything in such complete system and priciples; that one with naked senses can never see Him. Has anyone ever seen the principles; yet the principles are there which work?

1. thisisoli profile image71

Try using a microscope.

2. earnestshub profile image81
                earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I know is that he and every other major scientific figures have been hounded by religionists for years trying to get a commitment for the sky fairy story. smile

Hi getitrite, I don't believe you. God has proved himself strong in my life everyday. I don't have to pretend to be nice, that comes natural for me. Once again you have twisted and distorted my words.

1. getitrite profile image71

He still allows children to starve to death, while proving a strong presence in your life.  Go figure.

Unless there is something ultra-special about you, I just don't buy this.

No offense, but your God sounds like a twisted psychotic.

God, PLEASE HELP THOSE POOR STARVING CHILDREN!!!  Amen

getitrire, I don't understand why you keep using that same line that God allows children to starve. We have tried to help you understand. For the last time, GOD HAS ALREADY PROVIDED ENOUGH FOOD. He uses people to distribute the food, but there are people that is holding it up to for their own selfish gain. God gives people free will to do good or evil.  He will not make anyone do what's right. God allows us to choose. God is not the one to blame. This is my last time repeating this to you. Why did you rebel against God ? Didn't you once believe in him?

1. alternate poet profile image68
              alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Getitright you silly silly little boy - don't you understand that god does all the good stuff and we do all of the bad stuff !  and us kristians only voted Georgy in, we didn't help cause that really really howible bad stuff with Sadam Obama !

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Funny/ROFLSmiley.gif

2. getitrite profile image71

I guess I need to expand the parameters of my mind.

Or maybe I should just become delusional.

3. Beelzedad profile image58

Why doesn't your god provide food to the people who are starving so they can distribute to you instead of the other way round? Why do you get the food and they don't?

Who? What people exactly? Why aren't those same people holding up the food that you get?

There is no one else to blame other than those who believe god provides for them.

God lets tens of thousands of children starve to death every day. That is good enough reason for rebellion. smile

4. getitrite profile image71

Sorry, but you have still failed to make me understand your line of reasoning.  It is apparent that you do not understand the concept of an omniscient, omnipotent God, because the God you have described is not omniscient or omnipotent, but something of a powerless spectator.

You are simply repeating abject nonsense, told to you by some other person with a deluded mind.  Admit it. This only makes sense if one chooses to be willfully ignorant.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

getitrite, I have noticed that you always fail to understand anything about how God operates. You will not admit that God exist, because you rebelled against him and turned away. If I see your repeated messages about starving children, I will just politely ignore you. You have allowed your heart to be hardened. I pray that you will turn your heart back toward God, before it's too late. Take care.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

No problem, seems god is too busy to feed the starving, what with all the time spent answering prayers for non-believers to give him attention instead. smile

3. thisisoli profile image71

That actually makes me feel sorry for you, You have no meaning in your life unless you fill the void with some imaginary being?

And you jsut clearly stated that you think that teh only reason to be nice to people is for personal gain?

If I stop and help somebody in the street it is because I am able to help them, it does not benefit me, I just think the world would be a nicer place if more people helped each other out.

Your purpose for living now IS to live, IS to feel emotion, and it IS to make the best out of the time you have.

Don't cry, little one. Imagination got mankind pretty far, till we started running out of it.

1. thisisoli profile image71

There is a difference between utilizing imagination to explore the world, and using it as a crutch to stop yourself from having to deal with reality.

There is also a difference between reasoned response and against condescension.

2. thisisoli profile image71

p.s. you are confusing imagination with opposable thumbs.

Hi thisisoli, No need to feel sorry for me, actually after reading your message, I feel sorry for you. I found it very interesting how you, along with Mark and getitrite cleverly twisted the exact same words in my message to a brand new distorted way. I am not surprised at all. It only reminds me how the devil operates. One last thing, you are not the one to define what my purpose is in life. You did not create me and you are not my source. God is! and his name is Jehovah! Have a blessed day!

How sad that your beliefs cause you to not even know what you are saying. No one has distorted anything you have said. Attacking people by slyly suggesting they operate the way the devil does is not "nice."

I pity you your delusions and hatred. sad Have a wonderful week!

Thank you Mark, I will indeed have a wonderful week.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image60
        Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How sad you statement makes me feel, sad that somewhere in your life someone somewhere planted that message into your mind that without God you life is meaningless.  What sort of unfeeling SOB would do that to another human ?

I do not believe in a God but nor am I an athiest, I hope I treat others as I want them to treat me, if I do a kindness or help another it is not for reward nor to please a non existent God. I do it because it is the right thing to do.

Life is not a journey towards some mysterious higher plain of existence, the life of all animals in linear from birth to death, it is our purpose to procreate and pass on our genes to the next generation.  Nothing more nothing less.

So stop beating yourself up and have FAITH.... Faith in yourself as a human being and start having some fun.

Oh Yeah, If the SOB who filled your mind with all that religious crap is still around give him/her a serious slap and say that it's a message from a true friend !!!

Hi Merlin,  No human being planted anything in my mind. If you truly don't believe in God, then you won't ever understand.  I can see that you are off topic. I was simply answering the question to this forum topic. Thanks for your concern. I am not beating myself up, and I have plenty of faith in God. I never stop having fun, so your message is not making any sense relating to my post.

2. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, a real true friend huh!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3799266_f260.jpg

lol lol lol

Hi aquasilver, I was thinking the same thing.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think my life would be boring.  But then again.........., I really can't say what it would be like.  I've always been too afraid to allow those thoughts to enter in my mind and heart.

8. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know thid is about the philosophical impact on people's life, their sense of meaning etc. But the physical and psychological impact of religion should not be discounted. There is a significant body of research that demonstrates a link between religion and health: Strawbridge et al., 2001; Ellison and Levin, 1998; Hummer et al., 1999;  Johnson et al., 2002

Studies carried out on adolescents suggested those from a 'religious' family show greater risk avoidance behaviour and have greater self-esteem (Regnerus, Smith, & Fritsch, 2002; Wallace & Forman, 1998).

A study which examined 100 studies looking into religion and health found 79 out of 100 concluded a positive link between religion and health (Harvey J. Cohen and Harold Koening, The Link between Religion and Health: Psychoneuroimmunology and the Faith Factor, Oxford University Press)

Some important points and critical thoughts: 1) this does not relate in any way to the question of whether a deity exists. 2) these are observational studies, not controlled experiments. 3) although a link has been established, the reason for the link has not. So for example the link may be caused by the psychological impact of practices like meditation. Many religious beliefs (and non-religious beliefs) incorporate such practices. Or it could be a sociological factor. People in religious groups may have a wider, more readily available network of social support which may help them stay fitter or healthier. There are many sociological, cultural and psychological factors that may be playing a part in the link between religion and health.

But it can't be denied that there is a link, and that link is positive. Examining that link is an interesting and important area of study which would be beneficial.Not because we subscribe, or don't subscribe to any particular belief, but because it is part of expanding the overall, general body of knowledge about human beings and how we work. Unfortunately such work tends merely to be used as ammunition in the god/no god debate, which is a shame.

9. Alien invasion profile image60
      Alien invasionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I were an atheist there wouldn't be much of a change except that I would go around telling religious people how stupid they are. That seems to be what they like to do.

1. earnestshub profile image81

..as opposed to telling the non-believers that their much loved children will join them in being tortured forever in your hell.

You are right! Little change in that. smile

1. Alien invasion profile image60
          Alien invasionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I was going to propose a mass suicide so we could all find out together.

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons41/5e0_m.jpg

10. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I'd be a lost, selfish, fool.

No change there then !

11. Danny Decay profile image66
      Danny Decayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no proof of a "god". What if you were an athiest? I'll tell you first hand: It feels great to wake up in the morning and make moral decisions on my own, and not need the judgement of my "neighbor" as a guide.

12. OpinionDuck profile image61
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are more levels than aetheist or agnostic.
      One can question the existence or non existence of a God and that is just using their intelligence.

Blind following is the opposite of using your intelligence, it is just following. This is the same as being a loyal political party voter, and that is not working so well for this country.

13. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you wouldnt constantly feel guilty for every human reaction you have, and you wouldn't let someone else take all the credit for  your own hard work.

2. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Life is fine for me. Never got brainwashed by theist. I'm glad that i'm not theist who failed to give empirical evidence for god. Atheists have no aim? yes,that's why bill gates was billionaire.

I am not asking an atheist...

Good strategy! lol

skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is public forum baby, ask this in church of deluded people.

So your claim of athiests life being aimless is a lie to trap religious people into belief,right?. wink

Stop digging yourself a hole. You lost when you started posting, I am an athiest.   What's your rebuttal now? Religion is a part of your life whether you want it to be or not. Apparently you do or you wouldn't be wasting your posting here. Many people I love dearly probably have similar feeling to what was posted below, why would I not embrace something that makes people happy.

Zing!

If you would further have me make you feel salty I will.

Oh goodness, we were all overpowered by the zing!

Does having a pet fairy enable the zing? smile

Tsk. Tsk. i lost? so you kept score for this thread?my bad.

Relîgion is part of my life? No. it's religious+non-religious people who are part of life.

Zing zang! Go salty baby wink

U are in a religious forum as we speak. Religion is a part of your life as well as mine, and wouldn't you know it... We're both atheists.

You are fighting a endless battle against the religious and fighting a losing battle to me.

1. skyfire profile image78

I'm not fighting any battle. Neither with any theist nor with wanna-be atheist.

I'm expressing my views in public relîgious forum.
                Sugar ? wink

Lol. No, you completely fell into a trap and thought you had a battle with me. And I guess you're right it wasnt much of a battle. Expressing your views huh? Well I'm sure everyone here has heard them already from you and every other atheist, including me at one point when I was younger.

Btw since you can't remember you said that I said atheists live's are aimless.  I dangled the worm out there and you bit, You better believe I set the hook. Atheists lives are far from aimless, pointless yes, but aimless absolutely not. I know an atheist whos life isn't aimless, ohh wait you know about him, bill gates, geeZ made that easy on me.

Not believing in god is easy for me and you, but it's not for everyone. Being atheist in fact makes me want to succeed even more and even faster, I am AIMing for the top, as to where if I were religious I would more likely than not be working a 9-5 job the rest of my life. That's just me personally though.

Really? that's why it tempts question like athiests live aimless life,huh? that's not even trap but more of ignorant assumption. Any sane theist in this forum can understand that aim in life has nothing to do with religion.

2. aguasilver profile image71

Bill Gates is a billionaire becaise he 'acquired' the operating system that he has made his billions on, he is also actively trying to vaccinate millions of Africans, hmm-mm, dodgy especially as he is also interested in eugenics!

He acquired operating system of another atheist - steve jobs. Who is now using kernel of another athiest-linus torwalds -inside his UNIX/Linux operating system(which is actually from OpenMACH) which is modified and known as kernel-OSX. wink

It's better to vaccinate people than giving advice like don't use condom else jesus will cry. Remember who said that, john ?

Let's talk about deception. wink

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

How would I cope? How would I think about life and death, if I were an atheist.

Well, it would be depressing I think to have no life after death
    I don't think I would try as hard to be nice
    I wouldn't believe in an afterlife, so if my current life sux than there would be no "reward"

It would be depressing. (I repeat).  I would be very upset and feel there's no meaning to life.

Very depressing. Life might be over.

Good answer. It is truly amazing how god can make people's lives so much more complete. Thanks for thinking outside the box.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you're totally welcome.
        smile

2. earnestshub profile image81

Don't you mean inside the book? lol lol lol

1. Migodden profile image70
          Migoddenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

rolfcopter you pwns.

3. skyfire profile image78

That is thinking outside box?jesus lolcat.

its like guinea pig in glass box claiming -life of those untrapped guinea pigs sucks. lol
        Nonetheless outside the box thinking.

2. alqx profile image60
      alqxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it doesn't seem so morally magnificent anymore if you do good only for a 'reward'.

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously! What happened to doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do?

And I do not understand how you derive a "meaning to life," by living another one when you are dead? I mean - if you are just marking time until the next life - why bother?

No wonder so many christians are criminals and do not bother to look after the planet. sad

1. aguasilver profile image71

"No wonder so many christians are criminals and do not bother to look after the planet."

Another outrageous lie Mark, you guys are really the masters of deception.

During 10 years in Sing-Sing, those executed for murder were:

65% Catholics,
              26% Protestants,
              6% Hebrew,
              2% Pagan,
              and less than 1/3 of 1% non-religious.

1. alqx profile image60

You can't really use that information. You have to look at the proportion of each religious/non-religious group convicted for murder, not the proportion of murderers from each group.

A population with a greater proportion of Catholics will likely have a greater  proportion of Murderers who are Catholics. Likewise, there will be a greater proportion of people who eat eggs for breakfast who are also Catholics (just to illustrate). This has nothing to do with cause and effect, merely population composition.

I remember Richard Dawkins giving a good example of correlation between religiosity and crime rate of American states in 'The God Delusion'.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

The facts bear me out, aguasilver. As does the quote I took from the website you linked to.

3. alqx profile image60

Why would we bother to deceive ourselves when we have our 'afterlife' to lose?

It is in the search for truth that we realise religion is unlikely to be the truth and so we give up all those dubious promises of a eternal life, treasures in heaven etc.

In exchange we gain freedom and independence of thought, to live a worthy life rather than have a meek existence.

2. kerryg profile image84
            kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was growing up, a six year old girl in my area actually killed herself by running in front of a train because her mother had made such a big deal about how wonderful heaven was going to be. sad

3. Druid Dude profile image60

And atheists are ALL LOOKING OUT FOR US SO WELL! So many unsupported statements...so little TIME!

4. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Perhaps you would like to become one so you can actually have the experience instead of speculating incorrectly as to the moral fiber of people who think outside of the bible.  Jesus himself would become atheist if he knew what had become of his example.  What is that bumper sticker "God, please save me from your followers?"

And just to help with a bit of broadmindedness, people can believe in an afterlife without joining religion.

A little reading goes a long way...

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does go a long way.............

Ive said it 6 times now. I AM ATHEIST. You guys are just so preoccupied on proving the religious wrong you dont bother to read threads, you just post.

5. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I think you edited your reply later so replying again.

Check your quote -->

That was hook ? I thought you opened thread to get the replies from theists and got angry because atheists are replying to your posts.

You remember only one example ?

Agree.

Lol I haven't edited one thing rofl. Gg. It wasn't really meant to be a hook. You were just so clueless you couldn't resist posting even though you were getting into something that you ended up feeling salty over.

If you aren't interested in what the religious have to say about my question then gtfo. Rofl telling me I edited my post because you were wrong. I'm on an touch right now dude and I haven't touched my original post. Gg

You edited your post because when i posted my reply, i only got first paragraph and after a minute there was two.

Now you even claim for there was not being a hook ? So why you even posted that there was.
        http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1230943

Who is clueless and who is really getting turned off after seeing my replies ?roll

Keep ROTFLing or STFOing if you want to skip that part, but my point stays valid. I was not wrong at all knowing what was your inclination with this thread. It was you who interested in being salty, remember or you want reference to that post ?

I am on an itouch and this thing sends thing six, not sure what you read. all I know is I was asking nonatheists a question.  You assumed I was religious, your bad. Deal with it. You and geometry have something on common. Tangents.  Lots of them. You are making up arguments that are pointless and I don't care about. Go to another thread or get on topic, since you have no idea what you Are even talking about, because I certainly don't..

Ofcourse you don't know what i'm talkin about because this what happens when thread starter gets tangent with personal attacks but ends up getting pwned with his own posts.
            Read my previous post which is still on topic to know what i'm talking about.

Lol You are the worst. Period.

6. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons4/kirk3105.jpg

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

thinking of myself as merely an animal
    going thruough trials and tribulations and suffering
    without someone- God to comfort me
    (some don't have normal families to comfort them)

to me, since I've had the benefit, of my faith my whole life, to find out it was all a lie would be crappy.

Though I know that will never happen.

Humans without the commandments or some moral code would be much worse.
    The reason the animals and serve their purpose in the food chain, unlike men who make animals extinct by killing too many, overly using resources, polluting the planet, etc, is that animals go by instinct and men think for themselves- it's called free will given by God: they alone can choose to be good or evil.
    If we are put down to the level of anmials, why would we feel bad for acting like animals?
    Only spirituality encourages men to be above an animal and turn the other cheek, and do good to all men, without that guidance what would the point of being Christlike be?

maybe I'm digging my whole deeper--I'm sure.
    Perhaps I should leave this machine and go to Church.

8. TheOneWhoKnows profile image57
    TheOneWhoKnowsposted 13 years ago

It would be very discutable :-)))

9. thougtforce profile image86
    thougtforceposted 13 years ago

I do not see why this subject must be a debate all the time? Either you belive, and thats good for someone who isnt a ateist, or you dont belive in God and that is good for an ateist! So, what is the problem? Does everybody need to think the same, or is it about to have the "right" view, and feel a need to convince others that you have monopol om being right??

1. Scribenet profile image62
      Scribenetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thoughtforce... I am with you! Great comment!

10. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 13 years ago

It would be as good as it is now. I'd probably have more sex. And that's it.

Great day at the Coliseum, folks. The lions scored a few points, then, the saints came back    to even the score. The lions are savage, but the saints are holding their own. Looks like another tie game!

11. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

What would life be like for you if you were atheist?

There is no need for such a negative concept. It is a concept like one is born without a father or mother or without both of them.

Ma? Is that you? Dad, you're here too? WHAT GRAVITATIONAL FORCES? Still waiting for my box of nothing to explode.

12. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

There is plenty of research on how people vary according to religious beleif.  And atheists are just as happy, caring and full of a sense of purpose as anyone else.  They just get those things from different places.

1. profile image50

I don't agree with you; however they are free to live as they like.

The Atheists have little moral codes and spiritualy they have nothing; and they have found no purpose of life yet, in my opinion.

They only eulogize science and the scientists; while science is not a function of the Atheist Agnostics; religious and the irreligious have both contributed to the science and technology.

I will disagree here, you are going off of your own opinion. You have no proof or back bone to even say half of what you are trying to get at. If we take a beliefs and throw them out the door you will never in a million years be able to tell I wasnt a believer. What you sAid is insulting and ignorant. I live off of common sense, right and wrong is obvious. Treat others how you want to be treated.

I have no moral code? That pisses me off, right there alone you had way less morals than us. But me having good morals and being an atheist will go no further. Please don't say things so absurd just because we don't believe why you don't.

2. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It actually makes me very sad that your religion deludes you so completely that you seem to be incapable of independent thought. Of course Atheist have meaning and purpose in their lives, just because it is not something you are capable of understanding does not make it less real or less valuable.
        As far as morality, what is it about you religious folks that makes you think every person on the planet needs to kowtow to some imaginary super being to understand the differences between right and wrong?
        Can you just think for a moment and try to understand we do not believe as you do but there have been a lot more deaths caused in the name of God than in the name of no god so who has morality issues?

Well said

2. profile image50

Sorry; I would rephrase it:

Atheist Agnostics have no originality of their thought; they only eulogize science and the scientists; whereas actually science is not a function of the Atheists Agnsostics; it is a combined effort of the humans beings, be they followers of a religion or not.

Please come out with any brilliant argument of your own and don't copy any Scientists; I think Atheists Agnostics are incapable independent thought.

This is my independent opinion; others could differ with me

You are saying that atheist agnostics don't have originality in their thoughts? Assuming you are right(which your assumption is ridiculous). How is reading something from a book or hearing stories from the bible a way to create original thought. You are fixed on god, I am open for any possibility. Not to mention I hAve my own original thoughts that may be right, prove me wrong

Religious people have independent thought process?are you joking knowing all your preaching posts are dependent on islam?

So what you are saying is that only religious scientists have a forward thinking approach? I think you will find the opposite is true.

While both believers and non believers have helped science the majority of people who question teh universe and advance science because of it are of a non religious deposition.

The majority of medicine we use to day, from vacinations to antibiotics had to face religious opposition because treating an illness could be seen as trying to fix a punishment from god.

Copying an argument from science is copying a researched answer based on double blind studies, tests, and comparison of proven knowledge, please give me an original argument from your position?

4. Ohma profile image60
            Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since I have never personally presented any debate on the subject scientific or otherwise you are chasing the wrong ghost here.
            The beliefs I have on the subject are based solely on my own experiences in life. I find it incomprehensible that an all mighty all loving all knowing God exists simply because believing in that beings existence would relegate my life to the same level as a lab rat.
            If your God is real and capable of all that you claim then he could and should desire to create a Utopia for the children you say he loves. He does not do this. Instead we have war and hunger and disease. So either he exists and we are merely lab rats undergoing a multitude of despicable experiments or he does not exist and life is simply not always easy. I prefer to believe the latter.

I'm atheist and I have high moral values, and I have a lot of purpose in my life.  If you have to  fill your life's purpose with god then it suggests that you are lacking morals.

However I will not deny that both religious and non religious people have had positive impacts on the advancements of civilizations, just as both religious and non religious people have been a detriment to advancement, though the scales of balance may be a little skewed.

13. earnestshub profile image81

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
    -- Philip K. Dick

1. alqx profile image60

How exactly does it 'go away'?

Just like the tooth fairy did I guess. smile

14. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Hang on Earnest.... you used to believe in Christ, and He is still here!

Sure, but as a real person? Only for some. smile

1. aguasilver profile image71

But your quote was;
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
        -- Philip K. Dick"

And patently Christ has not left your life, you just stopped believing in Him, which is fine, except you cannot stop talking about Him either, like a husband who left his wife and now spends his days casting aspersions about her... whilst maybe secretly regretting he was hasty?

Now I know you will reply with some witty response, but I really do think 'thou protesteth too much'! smile

1. Diane Inside profile image72
          Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like Moths to a Flame -  As one poetic hubber once wrote. Kudos - aguasilver

http://hubpages.com/hub/Moths-To-The-Flame

15. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

well you are right religion does give meaning to life and so it works for most..but without believe in god does live humans in path of choosing too..choosing about how to live the life one has...non believers have been great servers of humanity in many cases..their context is serving for sake of it..their context is to do good because they stand for it...while some would choose to live life in animal instinct too..so it can work both ways...

16. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

My life would be pretty much exactly as it is now... religion is not what gives meaning to my life.

17. earnestshub profile image81

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons39/Bizarro54.jpg

This may explain it all to you. smile
    I think this may be the point getitrite is making. smile

18. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

During my time without GOD I focused on meaningless things like money and status.

You forgot charity, helping out the neighbour, being kind to animals etc, just like normal people do every day ?

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't focus on those things when I didn't believe in GOD.  I love your "normal people", I didn't realize you were the authority on "normal people", LOL.  Do you think you're normal?

1. Disturbia profile image60
          Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I for one have no idea what so called "normal people" do.  There has never been anything remotely close to "normal" going on in my life and for that I will be forever thankful.

I do however know that one doesn't need God in their life to focus on family, friends, and community. If money and status are all one looks for, those things make for a very shallow and empty life.  But it is not necessarily the absence of God that makes people shallow or empty.  Likewise is it not simply  the acceptance of God that makes one's life meaningful and fulfilled.

I did.  I think if you replaced one with I it would be a more accurate statement.

19. earnestshub profile image81

After the Christian majority takes control, pluralism will be seen as immoral and evil and the state will not permit anybody the right to practice evil.
    --Gary Potter, president of Catholics for Christian Political Action

Fortunately for Americans we have the first amendment.

Is that still keeping the fundies at bay? smile

It keeps everyone at bay.  That's why it's so great.

Very happy to hear the old constitution is still intact. smile

221 years and still kickin!

I was pleased to see most of the new data about the economy analysed on the BBC among others. I think America is going to be OK again soon.
                I certainly hope so. I have many friends there I have known since the late 70's smile

I hope so as well.  The impacts of  of the American economy (positive and negative) are felt across the globe, so hopefully things get steady and pick up for everyone's sake.

20. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Just a think out loud moment  (again)

What If  the story about Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels being cast out of heaven is a metaphor for ...  US ....

Like little children that have ran away from home.

I really don't believe in nor disbelieve in reincarnation.
       I simply do not know.
       We get to keep on living on earth until we learn that our decision to run away from home wasn't as good of a thing as we thought it was going to be.

Like little children, we return home with a different attitude,  and live happily ever after.

A hundred people could all write a different story that says basically the same thing.

But under any scrutiny they would be contradicting

21. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Good night YAUL    Long day today and tomorrow.

22. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

PLEASE, GOD!!! HELP THE STARVING CHILDREN!!!  PLEASE FEED THEM JUST LIKE YOU FEED OTHERS THAT ARE NO MORE DESERVING, AND PROBABLY EVEN LESS DESERVING.

AMEN

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)