jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)

The Paulding Light - Unsolved Mystery?

1. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

"The Dog Meadow Lights" or "Paulding Light" have been appearing in the town Paulding, Michigan, every night since the turn of the 20th century. The experience varies - the intensity, length, and time it appears are unpredictable, but every night the light is seen on the horizon.

The Syfy show "Fact or Faked" went to the site and tried to debunk the mystery by doing a series of experiments. Strangely enough, once the light appeared, two crewmen rushed to the top of the hill where the light was emerging from. When they got there they found the place was filled with heavy vegetation. It was pitch dark even though the film crew was capturing the light on film at the viewing site. First thing the crew did was test the area for natural gases but the levels were too low to cause visual results. Next, they held various experiments to replicate the mysterious light - Flying a small airplane as close to the ground as possible - Went to the nearest road and flashed the head and back lights of a car -  Did an EVP session to check for paranormal activity in the area since there are myths that relate the light to an ancient train accident where the railroad switchman got killed while flashing his lantern as he tried to prevent the crash.

None of the experiments worked. The Paulding Light remains an unsolved mystery.

What do you think is the cause for this strange phenomena?

http://www.syfy.com/rewind/?sid=1236528&eid=1245182

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A shorter video of the light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnZVTzQ06Y

1. 0

* cricket sounds in the distance *
                 Anyone? roll

2. alternate poet profile image79
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just because the lights appear to be coming from one location does not mean they are - this is one of hte key points about optical illusions and why you can't find the end of the rainbow.

Film crews are not scientists but have the ability to persuade viewers that they are.  Flashing the lights on a car on a road is not a scientific method it is just flashing the lights on a random car.  Some years ago a ghost lady who would ride her bicycle along a lonely lane was 'caught'. If I recall correctly it turned out to be caused by a combination of car headlights on two different roads many miles away and in different directions.  And in some desert that i also forget, a city often appears just on the hoizon (15 miles away) that is actually several hundred miles further on.

1. 0

What else could it be? Share please.

1. alternate poet profile image79
          alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One easy possibility is some light source being reflected back toward the viewer from the planes between two air masses as warm air is pushed up into the colder air over the hills.  And that is without knowing anything except that there are hills there.

2. Kidgas profile image79
        Kidgasposted 6 years ago in reply to this
  2. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Looks like aura to me. Let me dig google,will post later.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Those monster/paranormal shows are such a joke.

4. Beelzedad profile image60
    Beelzedadposted 6 years ago

Looks like the mystery was solved:

http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys3/michigan.htm

smile

1. 0

The Fact of Faked team did test the headlight of cars and got no results whatsoever. They also believed the mystery would be debunked by the headlight experiment. If you take a little bit to watch the program I linked before, you'll see it.
      Now, I'm not saying that this source you've linked is not saying the truth, but I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't submit a video to have proof of their results.
      I also believe there is a logical explanation for this, but I don't think it's headlights.

I think it's Ralwus (he is truly from Michigan, regardless of what he says), who probably has a million empty old bottles of scotch hanging from his backyard tree. Every night, when he is too wasted to be able to open the door, he pulls out his keychain flashlight in an attempt to find the key to his front door. The light hits one of the bottles and reflects onto other bottles until the Paulding light appears in the distance.
      I have proof! The first reports were filed in the 60's. Have you noticed Ralwus' bandana? Yeap, it's been him all this time!

1. Beelzedad profile image60
        Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

TV shows are made to sell advertisements, not to provide any relevant content to it's audience. There are so many of these kind of programs geared towards sensationalizing the supernatural in order to make a buck.

Notice that the guys in the link I provided were not out to make a buck.

Whooooo do you love? smile

1. 0

I doubt that they would intentionally try to keep it a mystery. They have debunked so many other things. Plus, this other team that investigated didn't submit any video. Why? If they really had proof that they were truly headlights, why wouldn't they submit a video to show everyone?

1. Beelzedad profile image60
            Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you go through this site http://arxiv.org/ you will find results of experiments, and not one video. smile

2. drbillfannin profile image60
          drbillfanninposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One has to keep some mysteries alive to make money. Also, good fodder for a sequil

2. 0
        ralwusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Uh oh, found out. So that is what this was all about? I wondered why all the traffic 'round here.

1. 0

Yes, we all know about your early years!
          http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/korkoreja/ralwusasababy.jpg

1. 0
            ralwusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

that's not me, highchairs weren't around then with that sort of padding, or color photos. It looks like my younger cousin Eddie. wink

1. 0

LOL Cheers Ralwus!!!

2. Aficionada profile image92
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good article!  We had theorized that there might be some kind of temperature inversion that picked up car headlights, but this investigation lays bare the facts.  It's still an interesting and fun phenomenon, but it's nice to know how it happens.

5. 68
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago
    1. 0

This is the movie they did. It doesn't say a thing.

6. drbillfannin profile image60
    drbillfanninposted 6 years ago

If they were real investigators, they would have used infrared imagery, and maybe a high powered night vision telescope to look for details. Also, it would have been appropriate to point a laser at the light to see if there was any tempertature refraction going on. The laser would point to the source, which I still think is car lights or maybe a tower of somekind in a completely different location reflecting off something like a pool of water.

They did a bad job of debunking this one. Next time they need to hire a professional, not actors.

7. Rishy Rich profile image80
    Rishy Richposted 6 years ago

How abt "The Miracle of the Sun"?? Much puzzling than this one!

working