Do religious people have an addiction?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (46 posts)
  1. secretmemoir profile image60
    secretmemoirposted 13 years ago

My pentecostal christian mother used to be a chain-smoker.  She gave up smoking for church/God and became obese since.  She has a food addiction.  I notice a lot of church people are obese - is food addiction/gluttony seen as more acceptable that other addictions in church circles?
    From my observations, people swap their addictions to alchohol/drugs/smoking/sex to religious addiction and food addiction.

1. h.a.borcich profile image62
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is possible that many of these people have sought out faith as a means to battle their addictions. Looking for something more powerful than an addiction might draw some people to church.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you implying Church people have problems with addictions, yes some do, and it is no more than any normal percentage of society.

as for Religious addiction, it is more a process of indoctrination, a steady re-enforcement in the mind that the form of worship gets you there, a self re-enforcement of the belief (brainwashing as you would say)

as for the other assumptions here, I do not think thay are psychologicaly founded, all walks of life have addictions. Being a Christian is not the reason. I have also seen the same in folks who are Wiccan!

Smoking sometimes is fuled by nervious conditioning, when you stop, you substitute food for the cigaret, lots of folks do it. An enotional crutch.

Nothing Christian about it,  have you considerd that maybe she has a case of bad nerves and emotional stress. You could be driving her nuts also!....lol

secretmemoirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha - yes, she is an emotionally volatile person (like undiagnosed bipolar, I guess)

My father is very self-disciplined to the point of OCD, I think, and definitely perfectionism.  Could OCD and/or perfectionism be an addictive personality also?  Or could it be more his upbringing (strict, stoic, old-school dutch)?

I was definitely indoctrinated and has been long and painful process to let it all go, but I feel freer and more sane.

3. BDazzler profile image76
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen that happen, too, and it's sad, because when they find out that what they are addicted to is the religious process and it's not really God, there's usually a very negative reaction.

However, to say "All Religious People Have an Addiction" is like saying  "Everyone who sips wine is an alcoholic".

I've seen people truly transformed by God from true alcoholism.  The transformation and restoration has been truly amazing.  And I've seen people swap one addiction for another.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Now that is a very interesting thesis.
    Not all religious people are "addicted" to their religion. Like social drinkers, most are moderate in their approach to worship.
    The personality parallels between addicts and some obsessive religionists cannot be ignored, however.
    Some examples:
    1. Need to always be "right" even when the evidence proves them wrong
    2. Assignment of blame to others but not taking responsibility for themselves
    3. Pushing their drug of choice on others so that their own "use" looks/feels more acceptable
    4. Extreme rationalization. To make their own thoughts and actions "right" they must justify them to themselves and others.
    5. "Euphoric recall" is another classic addict symptom. This is the tendency to block out any negativity surrounding one's own behavior, overemphasizing the good/positive (despite evidence to the contrary)
    6. Black and white thinking. If it's not in the Bible it's wrong. End of discussion.

Yup -- I think you're onto something!

1. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - I think this is - on to something !

2. secretmemoir profile image60

I know some christians that are balanced and open-minded people.  But, I think they are the minority.  Most are like you say in the above

3. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It equally fits on the irreligious people also; with appropriate rephrasing.

The personality parallels between addicts and some obsessive irreligionists cannot be ignored, however.
      Some examples:
      1. Need to always be "right" even when the evidence proves them wrong
      2. Assignment of blame to others but not taking responsibility for themselves
      3. Pushing their drug of choice on others so that their own "use" looks/feels more acceptable
      4. Extreme rationalization. To make their own thoughts and actions "right" they must justify them to themselves and others.
      5. "Euphoric recall" is another classic addict symptom. This is the tendency to block out any negativity surrounding one's own behavior, overemphasizing the good/positive (despite evidence to the contrary)
      6. Black and white thinking. If it's not in a Revealed Book it's right. End of discussion.

Yes - we can't have them non-believers 'rationalising' or justifying through reason what they say.  I think you are right - we should cut off all their right hands, and if that doesn't stop them typing reason and facts then beat them to death with that special book that is just like all the other special books that we have beaten untold numbers of people death with down the centuries.

1. hanging out profile image60
          hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

simmer fang
          It never hurts to look at both sides not just be upset because this sentence worked both ways. .syaw htob dekrow ecnetnes siht esuaceb tespu eb tsuj ton sedis htob ta kool ot struh reven tI

or not
          lol

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

I've known several people who, in their frantic attempts to overcome primary addictions (drugs, alcohol), have turned to religion. Not that they became religious fanatics, just thought that throwing themselves into God's work could take their mind off the obsession for drugs. In virtually all cases (the ones I've heard personally) the experiment was a failure.
    Can religion serve as a substitute addiction? Why not?
    If you're addictively inclined, it's quite common to take up an alternate drug or habit when you put down your primary one.
    Doing anything to the extreme -- meaning to the point it interferes with your daily life, and the thought of doing without it throws you into a mental and physical panic -- is addiction.
    Of course religionists would argue that their religion habit is a positive in their lives, not a detriment. Exactly what a practicing addict will tell you about their using big_smile!!!!

my mother had to go to every church service/prayer meeting/music practise etc over spending time with her children.  All she talks about is God. 
      When I first started suffering from depression in my late teens, I wrote my parents a letter, saying that I didn't think God cared less if someone didn't attend every prayer meeting.  My mother rang me to tell me that my letter was deeply disturbing and I needed a devil cast out of me

4. Mighty Mom profile image78

The two are not necessarily mutally exclusive. Transformation by God (or the god of one's understanding) is necessary to be restored from true alcoholism.
    But even with that transformation, it's still very common to transfer the addiction from alcohol to something else -- sugar, cigarettes, caffeine, shoppping are major ones.

1. BDazzler profile image76

Also true, the "one size fits all" answer is seldom right.

5. simongrd77 profile image61
    simongrd77posted 13 years ago

well this is an interesting discussion and well worth while I would say. I have had my religion problems too and have struggled with it all my life, however I realise now that many of us have similar or same experience so i don't feel so alone or abnormal. There are environmental factors, cultural, parental, familial, biological, mental, physical and many more. These all go into our make up. Religion, theology, philosophy, psychology etc all study these things. I feel we can go round and round endlessly exploring these things and the John Cleese's of the world make good comedy out of it all. High intelligence and insanity are very close to one another, as are religion (or faith) and mental illness.

I don't think there is any perfect human, we are all a little bit abnormal and a little bit normal, it's a spectrum. Who is really the abnormal one, the doctor prescribing some mind controlling drug to zomby out the persons' faculties or the person struggling with life's problems and their own mind?

We all need a role model, I think. And so far the best most trust worthy one I can find is Jesus Christ. Others may say I am weak and need to be strong in myself because they don't want to admit there is a better role model than themself. The doctors and lawyers and intelligentsia etc are the leaders and role models of our society but if you get to know them they are no better than the rest of us but they have the income, position and power given to them by our society. The rest of us don't have those resources so are more likely to turn to God for help in time of need. If they don't need God then they won't find Him. Then again some of us who do turn to God may not be good role models either and turn others off God by our bad example which means they are no better than the leaders of our society afore mentioned.

Hence we who follow Jesus Christ, it behooves us to not be hipocrites but rather be good examples, good role models.

Well balanced answer I think.  The problem with your reasonable position is that christ as a role model is a good idea, but the role models who stand between you and your christ, or god, are not. 

You can see the defenders of the christ that you can reasonably follow in these forums - mindless dribbling muppets who would have us believe that their god is a hate filled psycopath and that not following one of ther various bigoted paths consigns you to burn in some hell of their imagination.

Don't let them turn you away from what you believe onto their pathway toward the extinction of the human race.

1. simongrd77 profile image61
        simongrd77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the interest. hmmmm I did not say that role models between me and 'my christ' as you put it are not a good idea. There are plenty of other good role models, however I have chosen Him as my best one. I have learned and benefitted heaps from many living and past people, even those who openly profess that they don't subscribe to my Christ.

Yes I agree with you, bigoted and mindless believers are only fooling themselves. I also agree with you the human race is not on a pathway to extinction. The reason why we may differ on. I personally think and believe the human race would have already self destructed except for the God of grace and forgiveness and love that he has toward us mortals because of  'the Christ' that I believe in. How's that for a turn around?

Have a good week friend

An honest and sensible christian - what a refreshing change!  Nice to see you here and look forward to wrangling with you again big_smile

yes, open-minded christians are a rare breed

6. Mighty Mom profile image78

paarsurrey -- touche and absolutely correct. the charcteristics i defined typify addicts/alcoholics. typically those in their disease have turned away from spirituality and found their "god" in a bottle, pipe or pill.
    the obsesssive comes in many varieties.

simongrd77 -- we all do need a role model, for sure. however, following Jesus or pursuing a direct spiritual path to a god of one's understanding is not enough for some people. there really are people with mental illnesses that are chemical in nature and their brains need to be rebalanced by a professional.
    as you rightly point out, we are all human. we are all partially normal and partially abnormal (and some of us are sicker than others). what works for one may not be enough or the right solution for someone else. tolerance is a gift!

No he is not correct.  He is saying that reason and facts are all nonsense and his book is the only fact or reason needed.

As for the obsession well  . . . . .

2. simongrd77 profile image61
      simongrd77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I want to reply Mighty Mom but the screen pops up under alternate poet.
      Anyway thanks for comment. Yes I do have considerable experience with mental illness and i agree with you some need help to adjust abnormalities in brain function. I think this is just an extension of herbal remedies and other medicines we take for ailments.

When a family is struck down with a sick member, anything, downes syndrome, cerebral palsy etc etc cancer etc, I personally think it brings out the love and care qualities in us, hopefully. I think mental illness needs to be treated similarly. Individuals who suffer mental incapacitation need help and care but they also themself need to fight harder and learn to manage their condition. The examples above show that all in a family are affected. It becomes our particular journey. Whatever life throws at us serves to enrich us. Have you noticed famous and successful people who get addicted often get healed again with a lot of hard work.

Its too easy for too many to sit around and stay sick sucking on society and all of us. Indeed it has got to the point where it pays to be sick, and the medicos get paid too. Perhaps this is the real sickness!! and hipocrasy. Alas, the governments rock and reel trying to fix all problems. I suppose it is all a matter of balance, however what we need to ask is why and where is all this sickness coming from???

7. Mighty Mom profile image78

I know, but I was trying to be kind.
    I'm feeling a we bit calmer than yesterday, although that's subject to change at a moment's notice, given the right provocation big_smile.

big_smile    let me think now  . . . . . . . . .

8. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

I think the Atheists Agnostics Humanists are addicted to non-belief?

Again, this is an over-generalizations.  One of my best friends in the world is an agnostic/atheist/materialist (i.e he does not believe in the supernatural at all)

He's not addicted to anything, this just seems most reasonable to him.

Now, I do think some people are addicted to the adrenaline rush they get from arguing about it, but it doesn't matter which side of the argument you're on for that addiction.

Any habit (arguing about religion included) can become an addiction. But just because an addiction is possible, doesn't mean everyone who has the behavior is addicted.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

addicted to non belief eh?
      That is funnier than you think! One does not become addicted to non belief in the tooth fairy, it just happens as you begin to think, unless you are indoctrinated into religious belief that is.
      Just a progression from belief in the tooth fairy story really. smile

My nephew informed me that the reason the tooth fairy visits him and not me is because I'm old, my brother (his dad) informed me that it was likely depreciation due to age ... my teeth just aren't as valuable as the used to be.

1. earnestshub profile image80

Yeh! What happened to Santa's attitude as well.

I just copped a no Santa onslaught from the 5 year old twins who unkindly pointed out that we don't have a chimney! smile

1. hanging out profile image60
            hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

obvious flaw in that doctrine :LOL:

and i don't have any stockings either

The 6 year old discounted my worth to the tooth fairy too!

He told me "Your teeth are old granpa, if you lose any you won't get much for them off the tooth fairy!
              All this while he's holding a shiny dollar coin and smiling though the latest gap! lol

2. BDazzler profile image76

No Santa? Crap ... and I've wasted all this time being good...

5 year old twin girls are extremely dangerous to myths! At least these two are. smile

When my dad told me about Santa, he explained the historical traditions ... I think out of context it would have been frustrating, but with the history and tradition, getting let in on "the secret" was kind of cool.

9. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

do religious people have AN addiction?
    The Pharisees said "why do you hang around with those types of people Jesus?" to which Jesus said, "the healthy and whole have i not come to claim but those that need healing".
    Jesus hung around with sick people, disabled people, people who were hard to love because they resembled the homeless (no offense intended) on our streets today, with ragged clothes, in the depths of poverty, some even with leprosy. Indeed it was probably some freak show audience jerry springer would have been proud of.
    The same today. There is a saying, "you have to be at the bottom in order to look up". Along the same lines christ said. "For the glory of God is this man disabled". The man would look to up and up is where God is. Healthy people just continue on and think, i am okay why drag God into it?!
    So a lot of people, scrap that but remember it, I used to smoke cigarettes, when i came to the Lord, He, while trying to clean up my life, asked (impressed) me to stop smoking. I did, eventually. Thank God i was not smitten when i bought that last pack in rebellion and frustration. God met me at my frustration and during that battle (my pot habit i didn't even notice disappear). Today i do not smoke and haven't for, i dunno now exactly how long, a long time. Do i weigh more, yes. I am 6 foot and weigh 203 lbs-213 lbs, 33-43 lbs more than ever in my adult life from my constant weight of 170 lbs. I am not obese. People say i look good, i have a one ripple abdomen lol.
         When handled properly, I will just briefly say "falling on the rock, jesus christ" too handle our battles and distresses; we do not trade in one addiction for another. God (lol and hehe) SMITES!! each addiction to death and the smoker, cocaine addict, alcoholic whatever, depressed, bipolar individual can live a life free of these things.
    Falling (or turning to, even praying about the situation) on the rock, i call it: Jesus help me, and he is ever failthful to do just that, but ya ought not to go and buy a pack the next day! You need to drive past that store and thank Him for His strength.
    God is faithful
    what no bible quotes????

1. profile image52

No, it is the irreligious who are addicted; they enjoy living in doubts and cofusion, in my opinion.

10. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

religion is itself a big time addiction...why they people need any other form of addictions?...

1. profile image52

atheism is itself a big time addiction...why people need any other form of addictions?...

nevetheless this addiction is curable; just don't be violent and follow the Truth

11. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I like caffine, not because I can't help it, because I choose it...saying someone is addicted to something is silly. They do what they do because they want to do it. Nobody twists their arms...I don't believe in addiction. tongue

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might believe or not whatever you want, but addiction does exist and it a serious problem. A lot of people suffer from it and it is not easy to get rid of , because it makes you obsessive with it, and for it you can betray or even kill somebody to get what you want. Addicted people - they lie to themselves and others and they ruin everybody's life, like their family's.
      I know it all too well. Addiction to religion might look innocent enough, but if you neglect your children for it, then it is not that innocent any more.

12. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I've never met a single person that didn't have one kind of addiction or another.  Drinking, smoking, Playing pool, or fishing, Etc,Etc,

you're probably right - some people are addicted to work, internet, hubpages...

13. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I've just finished my addictive two ups of coffee and it's time for me to go out into the world to work.
       Yea .. Finishing a big paint job today...  It's payday.

14. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

I think the irreligious people are more addicted than the religious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)