jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

If you had to convert to or take up any religion, what would it be?

1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

If you had to for some pressing reason, it would save mankind or your family or something, change your current belief system what religious system would you be most open to accepting? If you are an atheist this would mean taking up a religion or if you are already religious in one of the many religions world wide you would have to swap.

For me I am spiritual without the cage of religion (churches etc. seem like cages for god, like god isn't everywhere and needs a particular structure to be worshiped in). Anyway if, gun to my head or the collective heads of humanity I had to actually pick one religion instead of just admiring the good parts of all religions and disdaining the hypocritical or violet parts, I think I would choose Buddhism.

I would choose Buddhism because it seems less about a creator god and more about how we live our lives here and now. The pursuit of nirvana is something I could be happy with even if its an unreachable goal.

I would love to hear what you guys think, your reasons and such. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the opposite number and think about how you could make it work so to speak.

I have a scary meeting about whether or not I still have a job (I guess) today so will look forward to coming home to some fun and hopefully intellectual discussion. big_smile

1. pisean282311 profile image59
      pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

i don't believe in any religion..

2. eslevy17 profile image61
      eslevy17posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't believe in any religion, and refuse to accept any principle that doesn't have some solid evidence to back it up, but if you count Buddhism as a religion, that's where I'd go. I don't really consider it a religion though, as all it does is inform you of how to live so that you aren't miserable. It's much more of a way of life than a religion, which is why I find it intellectually acceptable.

2. earnestshub profile image86
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Never ever again.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Gun to your head, you will take the gun. Well you are a man of your principles big_smile
      Thats gotta be respected. Many abandon their principles as soon as it gets a little difficult hmm

3. kess profile image61
    kessposted 6 years ago

My religions is called life and it matters not if I am on a lonely mountain or a bustling city, it  will never change.

4. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

You took my answer. I thought as soon as I read this topic... Buddhism. smile

5. kerryg profile image89
    kerrygposted 6 years ago

I came pretty close to becoming a Wiccan when I was a teenager because I liked the idea of a Mother Goddess and the Earth-centered aspect. Ultimately, it was just too spacey for me though. Spells and charms? I get bored with traditional Judeo-Christian prayers and can't even meditate in totally secular fashion without mentally composing extensive lists of everything I would rather be doing. I am obviously just not cut out for religion in general. smile

1. EmpressFelicity profile image82
      EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm very much the same - you saying this reminds me of when I once went to someone's house and they said they were going to some sort of New Age meeting thingy and would I like to come?  Being the kind of person who would try anything once (within reason), I said yes.

All throughout the "service" (for want of a better word), I kept thinking about... filling out my tax return.

6. spookyfox profile image79
    spookyfoxposted 6 years ago

Buddhism too. One of the principles of it is not to believe what you're told, but try to find out for yourself. That's the complete opposite of revelations.

There are several atheists religions I'd consider learning from too.

7. EmpressFelicity profile image82
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

Cat worship.  It makes total sense lol

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can attend services with my daughter and all those other people who post, and enjoy, all those cat pictures on the Internet.   lol    (You can't be all bad if "Cat" is your religion. .   smile  )