Has anybody changed their beliefs from these forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (99 posts)
  1. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

With all the back and forth on these religion forums, I was just wondering has there been even one person, who has been convinced otherwise from their original beliefs.

The atheists say one thing the theists say another, then there is the differences in religions and doctrines.

Tell me please has there been one person who has changed their views. I doubt it but I'd like to hear from you if you have.

Otherwise, it is rather pointless for anybody to say anything, in these forums.

Mark wants to educate to advocate no religion, paarsurey wants to promote one religion, and countless others want to promote other religions and so on...

But who has actually taken anything from these forums and changed their minds?

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been in conversations about religion ever since I first got involved with forumsWay before hubpages). And all I have learned is that the people are going to believe what they want to believe. It is better to just embrace it and be happy for them.

Forums did not change my opinion, in fact it made me have a pointless grudge against religion when I was younger. As I got older I realized fighting against religion or for religion does no good. The proof isn't there either way, so there is nothing to be proved. Not in this lifetime anyway.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, no I haven't changed, things in my life have changed me
      but I think all these experiences just made me a more well rounded, more whole person.

On the forums, yes alot of bitterness comes out. But I have learned a few things--one of them is to stay away lol

but nice question. I would like to hear if "one" person did smile

Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks you two for your answer, I agree that people will believe what they want.  But with so much persistence here I was just wondering if there is even one person.

I guess we will see.

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In truth, some of it, yes

if we could all just stop the insults we could get to real civil discussion.
      I have changed my views here. dug for answers to counter points and actualy saw some truths be exposed.

so yes, I have changed some by being here and  also confirmed some things here.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There was at least one person sometime back who verbalized his being "almost persuaded" to consider believing in Christ.
      For me, that was enough to keep on going;  even one person's soul matters!
      And we don't always know what far-reaching results may accumulate later.
      We don't always get to see the harvest;  our job is mainly to keep planting seeds.

1. Antecessor profile image66
        Antecessorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont believe you.

I have known you to lie before.

I believe you are lying right now, otherwise provide proof by linking to the post or person. Link to the post right now, OR tell us the person so we can speak to them.

An atheist NEVER converts to religion, I challenge you to provide even one genuine documented example, and this doesnt count religious people saying "oh I used to be an atheist but I saw tha light of jebus praise the lawd".

I need documented proof that these people were atheists, such as books written by them when they were atheists, so on, and then PROOF that they are christians, ie go to church regulary, pray, have no ulterior reasons for saying they are christians, so on.

I dont expect you would be able to take up this challenge though, I know what you are brenda.

But girl if you want I cant show innumerable examples of the opposite.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Has anybody changed their belief from these forums?

My beliefs are not effected by the forums. My beliefs are not made part of the forums. I don't give out opinion, yet others clearly distinguish my words as opinions, due to their own ignorance, either chosen or not.

My posting isn't for my benefit, it's for others. The only beliefs I hold are for me and not others.

I use only rational and reasoned statements to convey meaning. If you or someone else, interprets the meanings as something other than what was said, then you or them is at fault.

Too many people have a skewed view, dictated by outside influences that which are destructive more than helpful.

1. profile image57
        exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil replies "My beliefs are not effected by the forums. My beliefs are not made part of the forums. I don't give out opinion, yet others clearly distinguish my words as opinions, due to their own ignorance, either chosen or not." in other words if you do not agree with Him, you are ignorant

1. Cagsil profile image70

If you don't listen to reason, and rationality. It is ignorant to do so. It stops the learning process. Or did you not know that?

1. profile image57
            exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in other agree with you or be ignorant

1. Cagsil profile image70

I can see you like to not admit when you have nothing to step up with. The fact that you constantly try to spin things, is always a tell-tale sign of a fraud or a con-man selling something.

Just doing a poor job of it, in your case.

When you want to deal in rational thinking, then I would suggest you throw away your irrational thoughts. Or at least, admit to yourself you don't mind being irrational in behavior, because every time you open your mouth to talk, your actions say so much more than the words you use.

The fact that you don't see it is truly sad. hmm

lol lol lol ......... roll

6. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think alternate poet told me once that alleged reason people debate in religious forums isn't to try to convert the other party, but rather try to keep those that are undecided from joining the other side so to speak.  personally, it sounds political, but it makes senses.

as for me, my views haven't changed, as i have great analyzation skills.  sorry for bragging, but its the truth, which basically means i can easily detect fallacies in anyone's logic or argument.  therefore, i can tell you that i have read some of the posts on both sides of the perspective, and I can see flaws in both parties logic, but i never say anything to them.  besides, why risk losing my followers and traffic over some stupid argument on whether or not god exists or not?  besides, everyone is going to believe what they want anyway, and those so called ones that do get converted to the other party...i'm willing to bet they already had doubts about their own point of view.  As I find it hard to believe a person would suddenly give up their beliefs over one conversation, unless that same said person already had doubts about their position to begin with. All the person that allegedly converted them did was just reaffirm their disbeliefs.  Nothing more or less.  The seeds were already there.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, it's just confirmed some of the reasons  I rejected christianity (getting beliefs packaged as "fact" and shoved down throats) & also points out just how much conflict there is over religious views.  I'm not sure if I'll be a regular contributer, as it gets pretty hostile in these forums.

1. profile image0

yeah, but even YOU have to admit that you had doubts about your own beliefs to begin with before you read anything on forums. otherwise, nothing that was said here would've converted you.

1. profile image0

yes, I consider myself agnostic athiest.  The forums are giving me keywords to go off and do my own research, which has been very valuable - and making me learn more towards atheist than agnostic.  So nothing anyone directly said, but how people behave speaks volumes, plus a lot of historical stuff I didn't know previously has been gleaned, which I've been able to look up myself.
            Religion was once a huge part of my life - guess I'm interested in why

1. profile image0

your right. how people behave do speak volumes about who they are individually, but i wouldn't condemn an entire group over it.  seriously, i could easily say all black guys are nothing more than a group of petty thugs and hooligans based on how gangs like the bloods and crypts act (that are predominantly filled with black and hispanics statistically).  however, would you honestly consider that a fair depiction? I don't think so, as there's a lot of educated African Americans out there.  Therefore, I don't judge an entire culture or group just because of a few damn morons in that said group.  I apologize if my example offended anyone here, but I was just trying to make a point.  Besides, im half chinese, one quarter native american and hispanic, so im not a racist here.

however, i do applaud you though for basing your beliefs off your own research rather than basing it off of someone else's opinion.  as even my college history teacher told me once, "your not supposed to believe everything I tell you. your just suppose to listen to what i tell you and read the chapters, then make up your own mind on what to think based on what you research."  that's always the best way, as you should never base your opinion off what other people think.

1. profile image0

yes, I agree.  Indoctrination is the opposite of deciding for yourself - that's what I had - what other people believed shoved down my throat so I ended up believing it too.  Discouraged from thinking for myself

7. profile image0
      andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So many people here think about themselves that they're superior to others! What is a religion guys and what's the need of religion in life? Please let's enrich ourselves here in the forums. Thanks Diane Inside... this post has brought out several self proclaimed otherwise fool about life expert people's actual instinct outside!

8. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We don't mind if you be the first to change to the Truth, if you are convinced body and soul.

I am ready if somebody convinces me to his side with reasonable, rational and brilliant arguments. Is it a big deal?

9. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No..... big_smile

10. Blogging Erika profile image66
      Blogging Erikaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, and that's why I never participate in them.  Has anyone's mind ever been changed by what they read on a forum?  Or on a picket sign?  Or a bumper sticker? 

Every once in a while, someone posts a genuine question out of curiosity.  But most of the time, it's just an excuse for Yet Another Shouting Match.

11. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My original beliefs remain intact. What has changed is my view of how people behave on the internet about religion. Substantial conversations aren't possible with all the arrogance and bullying.
      After a year of witnessing the tactics of the atheists on here, I am now less likely to be passive in real life opportunities to further christian ministries.

12. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course I didn't change my mind about my religion because of forum posts, I just never cease to amaze myself with  the opinions I read...the tone is far to sceptical...totally agree with h.a.borchich above!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I learned from different perspectives, but in the end, I know I will always be a Christian! Forever a Christian,

1. profile image0

Are you sure you want to be a christian with a lot of the hateful attitudes from some of the christians?

3. profile image60
    tommyjposted 13 years ago

People who want to learn will, no matter what the forum. Others never do.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree tommyj, true words that you write.

4. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

From these forums... with the kind of debates here.. NO I guess no one ever will, I believe what I want to .. beliefs contrary to mine are welcome but I would give it a little more than a cursory view and that I am sure will not be able to convince me... for what I have, I have tried and tested and studied for years before I accepted... no not me!

5. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

my beliefs have strengthend some, reading the constant battles.

6. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3883097_f248.jpg

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

7. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I don't have beliefs. And these forums definitely contributed to this state of mind smile

1. profile image0

really? (does a jedi mind trick) you will believe in the power of the force. (says while waving hand in front of your face)

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Force has power. It's not a belief, it is an observation. Reproducible and consistent. smile

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then may the force be with you. smile

1. Misha profile image64

Same at you My Goddess, same at you. BTW I just heard from Jenny after a long silence, she is alive and well smile

1. profile image0
              sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's good.  I was wondering what happened to her. Thanks for sharing. smile

1. Misha profile image64

Sure, you are welcome smile

2. profile image0

lol. i should've known the old jedi mind trick wouldn't work, as it only works on the weak minded. wink lol  anyways, may the force be with you!

1. Misha profile image64

tongue Same at ya Steven smile

2. profile image0

Hey Misha... you don't have beliefs is a belief by itself! Thanks. smile

1. Misha profile image64

This does not make any sense. I don't have any tanks is a tank by itself? I don't have grandkids is a grandkid by itself? Nonsense. smile

1. profile image0

The statement "I don't have any belief" is a byproduct of some belief in your mind and to discover that you've to be a philosopher, and someone who compares tanks or grandkids with beliefs is talking nonsense, no philosophy is expected from him... take care! wink
          I can write 10 hubs on this subject so it's not wise to talk about such a vast subject in such a small space! Thanks. smile

3. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I belive this thread has made me think your new pic is super nice!!  big_smile

1. Misha profile image64

Aww thanks DM, my 4yo daughter shot it - I am a proud father LOL.

Like your artistic pic, too smile

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That explains the happy face! I was wondering who you were looking at. My pic has a long wierd story behind it and I have been trying to decide if I should hub about it...but now I am way off topic..sorry....

Thanks, and your welcome.

8. profile image57
    exorterposted 13 years ago

I have seen from past experience in my life that some times you have to keep saying something for some one to stop and listen.
    the Word tells me that we are not to talk about someone in another religion. James 4:11 speak not against another,according to Greek, you do dot talk against how some one baptize, I have fought and fought against that enough speaking and you can finally get someone to listen and research

9. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I haven't changed any of my theological beliefs, but after a few discussions with some folks on the political forums, I have changed certain of my positions.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

We'll see, we are not done yet. I am so tired, I do not know what am I, never mind my beliefs. Not so long ago I used to believe in humanity...

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

The only thing I've changed ever since I encountered these religious topics is not to take anything too seriously. You can't change anyone's mind either way... no matter what you say!

12. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes and I would like to take this time and pray to the lord god Jesus H Christ....may he turn lots of water into wine for me, because I can't be arsed to buy it myself....and let the tooth fairy come and take away my rotten teeth....and Santa to empty his sack under my tree....eh, the dirty bas....

13. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I have changed my beliefs since participating in these forums.

I have a large and mostly actively religious family, many religious friends and acquaintances.  I was raised in a Catholic convent school for girls and my early teachers were a teaching order of nuns.  This resulted in a huge tolerance of religious people even though I realised early on that the whole concept was a crock.

The religious folk who post in these forums have changed my belief that religion is a harmless pursuit of the not so bright.  They have convinced me totally that their beliefs are the main cause, or support of, most perversions, hate crimes, bigotted laws, war and terrorism.

I used to think that religion should be tolerated - I now think it should be actively opposed and against the law for them to proselytize to pull in more gullible morons to their 'fold'.

1. hanging out profile image60
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its a shame that catholicism, the great harlot in revelations, (false religious system) can produce such wounded people. Wounded to the extent that they are just hateful and rude toward such a wonderful jesus and a beautiful God. If you want to war get rid of catholicism, its the one that wounded you. Other people in this forum just responded to your bad attitude that you once again displayed above by calling christians , gullible morons and blaming us for hate crimes and etc.
      This just proves that praying to saints and rosaries are not the way to God. Confessing to a priest does not get Gods favor. God is the one you should be confessing sin to. Accepting jesus NOT mary as your savior according to scripture will produce a different God, the real God. Not a pagan blend of devil worship and mary worship.
      Its jesus you want to love because love is what makes a relationship.

1. alternate poet profile image66
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do not presume to tell me who and what I hate - I have great respect for the basic message that comes with the Jesus myth. The message itself is clear and simple, it is the foul mouths that use the simple message to promote their own bigotry and inhumanity.  I am sure that religion attracts many good genuine people, it is a shame that none of them appear in these forums.

2. profile image0

you do know that the catholics were a "mother" religion protestant christianity?

1. Jerami profile image57
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep  Mother and daughters.

The Church that Rome built (originally) had good intentions; and the basic doctrine was sound.

The Emperors Church, the Emperors Popes, ....
          The Emperor established Religion exactly as prophesy foretold that it would.

God has given Religion to the world the same way that he gave KINGS to the Nation of Israel when they ask for one.
                King Saul was the first of many that lead the people astray.  The people were soon forced to serve under foreign Kings.   The "End of DAYS eventually came to that Hebrew Nation exactly as prophesy foretold.(135 AD)

The New Church; (300 years later)  soon began teaching that THOSE prophesy was written to and for the benefit of them; and were yet unfulfilled.
              This is when confusion began its reign on earth.
              This too was written in prophesy.

14. Lifeallstar1 profile image59
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

This is a great question. I normally do not bother to enter forum topics to do with religious beliefs. We all have our beliefs on the topic but the only time we can really say we are right or wrong is after we are dead so I guess I just don't see the point in arguing back and forth about something none of us can really answer for sure. big_smile

15. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/korkoreja/Godsign.gif

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image59
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love that! lol

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love the cartoon....

16. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

Yes...i have...i understand better what's goin' happen to me.....YIKES!!!!....

17. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Yes. I used to believe in the song "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love..."
    Now I know it's a crock.

18. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Bill Hicks

'Christians like to wear crosses around their neck to show they love jesus. You think if Jesus ever comes back he wants to see another f**king cross?'

He once told that jock in a redneck town and after the show Hicks was approached by three unwise young men  who pushed him against the wall and said threatingly 'we didn't like what you said about jesus' so Hicks said 'well then forgive me'

My own view on christians? a true christian is someone who will help anyone irrespective of race, creed, sexuality, or colour. A true christian will not make judgements on anyopne and in particular those who didn't get the fortune of a decent family life or who have encountered lots of trouble.

A true christian has no need to wear a badge or shout about their own virtue and morals or rain down pious diatribes on those who question whether god exists.

And if any right wing conserative ever tells you they are a christian they are lying. They are simply heathens who have kidnapped religion seduced the weak and reaped the monetary benefits of power whilst the majority go hungry or make do.

(I'm silently naming the numbnuts who might come on board and rant on and on about morals etc)

1. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on Joe - stop beating about the bush and tell us what you really think !!!!!!!!!!!!     big_smile

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm saving the more agricultural responses for those who deserve it :-)

19. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

My faith in God has not changed, it's probably been strengthened, if nothing else...

I have read so many posts from all sides, and listened to each and every person--it didn't matter whether they were Christian or Athiest.  I thought long and hard about my faith, and discussed it with my husband, too--all due to these forum threads.

We don't go to church--we don't believe that organized religion is necessary to have faith in God, or to live the life He would want for us to live. 

This is how I felt going into all of these forums, and months later, I haven't changed my views...except that I do feel a little sorry for the angry folks who seem to use these forums for their own personal soapboxes...and feel they have to make their points through ridicule and derision.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it's all about opinions Tam some are stronger than others. Maybe some of the more erratic religious posts open themselves up to ridicule and derision?

you seem to have an intelligent perpsective on your faith but there are others who seem to think it's their personal duty to recruit converts,deny objectors and patronise those who choose not to follow.

Those people in my view should see my ridicule and dersion for what it is which is a m9rror of their ridicuke and derision and if I say those two words again I'll convince myself they are two disciples who never got mentioned.

That list line was an attempt at humour.

1. TamCor profile image82
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, see, that's where I disagree--erratic to me are the ones who talk of sky fairies and all that--so see...who decides on what's erratic?  But answering either one of those sides calmly and rationally, without all the name-calling and venom, would go a lot farther in having an intelligent discussion. smile

Thank you for the compliment. smile  But don't you see that some athiests feel it their duty, too, so do the same thing? It's a never-ending cycle, it seems.

lol--I got it.  big_smile

1. profile image0

yes, some are quick to hurl insults like name-calling.  Others will ask a reasonable question and be accused of causing offense.  The hostility is off-putting when it happens (rather frequently).

also off-putting is the regurgitation of bible verses (especially poorly disguised as their own sentences) rather than thinking for themselves - just blatant preaching

20. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Nope!!!!!!!!!!

21. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Yeah, my beliefs have definitely changed. I used to believe that the diehard Christians and religionists were just people that followed a different lifestyle than I do. Now I believe they're ALL a bunch hypocritical, egotistical, power-hungry, narrow-minded bigots and idiots.

Thanks for that, guys.

1. profile image0

pretty much what I've concluded too!

2. TamCor profile image82
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, there are some of those on both "sides"...aren't there?  How can you not say that some of the athiests are just as bad at times?

That's the problem--too much animosity, and not enough adult behavior.

Too much judging-on both sides--and not enough tolerance.

22. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Sounds to me from all the posts I see here, that overall, these forums have re-affirmed, their beliefs. If not made them stronger on both sides.

I do wish the name calling and insinuations of ignorance would stop. But alas it will not.

No matter what we believe we should treat each other with respect. I admit I have had discussions that in retrospect I wish I had just left alone. Because it only causes me to think about ways I should have handled  it differently.

It is hard to not take offense, when someone basically tells you your views are ignorant, and you are to dim witted to see the truth. That is why I think I will try hard not to react to anymore religious forums, They only in my opinion cause a greater gap between us.

Thanks everybody for your posts on this subject it was a real eye-opener.

23. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I agree Dianne! It is a complete lack of respect for your fellow man! Respecting one's beliefs does not mean you agree, it just means you are understanding everyone has the right to believe however they want! The name calling and belittling is very offensive and really shows a lack of respect! There is no way to resolve differences if people continue with such childish behaviors!

I believe it's impossible to change another person's belief if they truly believe without doubts. If one does change their stance it's because they were not truly sure of their views in the first place.

I dont think it's fair to place a bad name on all religion because of the actions of a group inside that religion or even an individual inside that group! It's unfair and biased! Just as I don't think it's fair to deem all atheist or non-believers as evil or cruel just because of the actions of a few.

It makes it hard to be nice when someone attacks something you believe in so wholeheartedly. Especially when they attack your character and your IQ level because of your belief system. There are some highly-above average thinking folks on both sides of the fence here!

I realize there are those individuals who push their religon so fanatically that it becomes insulting and rude. However, the ones who are peaceful and respectful of others should not be attacked simply for their belief in general. This is not the case though!!! Many on hubs attack a person just for the very title of "Christian"!

I have not changed my views whatsoever! I'm with some of the others.... my views have been strengthened and get stronger each day! When someone attacks you simply because of your religon it makes you realize one thing... the Bible says Christians will be persecuted and it makes the scripture prove true time and time again!

Yes Libby, I agree. Thanks.

2. JulieBMack profile image60
      JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen!!  smile

I always said of bad Christians - don't blame the dirty filter of a clean message.  Look to the message in scripture - not the messenger.  Seems like common sense.

24. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes, I have come to the realization that cheesy peas are quite tasty!

25. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

This is my first and only experience on any type of forum...   
       Certainly an eye opener.

It seems that everyone thinks that the other people are closed minded.

Surprise !!!   I guess that I am found in that group also,  AH  shucks!

26. JulieBMack profile image60
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

Nope!  LOL My Christian faith is not changed at all because of what is said in forums. That would not make my faith very strong now would it?  Besides, none of the arguments "against" are really compelling for someone with a strong, well-researched faith.

I have done extensive soul-searching for answers and read lots and lots of books and the Bible over MANY YEARS!! This is what has changed my perspective from a non-believer to a believer.  Everyone believes in SOMETHING - everyone should research that and come to a educated decision.  Even atheists have a belief system.  That is still a faith - a faith that there is nothing! That is their choice.  Personally, I think it takes a stronger faith to believe that ALL religions and their doctrines are wrong.  They all believe in some sort of God.  String faith to believe that 95% of the world is "misinformed."

After doing my research, Christianity actually makes perfect sense.  Remove all the hatred and judgment from "Christians" (who are also sinners - we all are), really get into the history and scripture and it truly makes sense.  It is a place of joy, peace, acceptance, and love.  Let me know if you are interested in a intelligent discussion.  I have heard most of the arguments against - there are not really that many!  smile

Hi Julie thanks for the well thought out post.  You are right, if your faith is strong to start with you will not be swayed.

Good luck and best wishes, I have a feeling you will get a few rebuttals.

27. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

It doesn't matter if we are talking about Christians, Auto Mechanics, Mathematicians, or Doctors!

People are people and we all have different levels of understanding.

Those levels can be expanded upon.
      Some people become comfortable where they are at. 

Ya don't have to understand trigonometry to count your change at the grocery store. But if you are going to accept a teaching job ?  Ya can't stop expanding your understanding of the subject. 

A newborn Christian is enthusiastic.
       They have received a revelation and think that "That is IT"

When in fact we never stop realizing how wrong we used to be.

This form of revelation is never ending.

Life is a constant state of becoming.

Something like that anyway.

28. profile image0
    ShaunLindberghposted 13 years ago

Great question. If by "beliefs" you meant 'religion' then it seems the answer is "No".
    I don't think the christians do themselves any favors here; I've read a few threads and [blue]I'd forgotten just how domatic some christians can be![/blue] It never makes sense to me; if you are saved and safe, why all the angst when other people choose not to believe? It smacks of insecurity to me. Love and joy are a much more authentic testimony ... but then I suppose you have to have it before you can share it. Hmmm.

29. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

Yes, I used to believe that most people are reasonable. smile

More seriously, not that I can remember.

30. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

why sure i have.....i've learned many things

...there's no sex in heaven - omg!
    ...i might not get in - it's my own fault...
    ....i sin all the time - i didn't realize!
    ....and learned i'm geared towards warmer climates...but it'll be fun
    ....marriage is good if i want sex...so i guess i better get married again...hope it's not a sin to get married for the 6th time...i'll take a chance...besides i'm needing a new 'rock'
    ...and i've been having sex with little thought about procreation - don't think i'll change my mind about this one
    ...i thought god was a woman!
    ....and finally i thought god loved us all - just some i guess!

31. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

The more I read on HP Religious Forums, the less I believe in anything at all ...

Oh thats sad, camlo, don't forget the old saying.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

32. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Has anybody changed their beliefs from these forums?

I don't mind if somebody researches and finds the truth; he who searches does find the truth; then one must change, it is fruit of the search/research.

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I've given things some deep and careful thought - things like: Do I exist? and have become a complete non-believer.

1. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha ha .........  non believer in the fact that you even exist.... i believe you do...

2. profile image50

You mean that you came to know that you did not exist? Is it so?

Please express fully.

1. Joy56 profile image68
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how can he answer your question he does not exist.....

2. camlo profile image84

Indeed; I came to know that I did not exist.

3. Diane Inside profile image73

Camlo, whether you believe or not, it's up to you, but I hope you find out for yourself and not just listen to what others say. Or even take the actions of a few to make your mind up.

Either way I wish you the best.

33. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

what?

1. profile image50

He does not exist but he answers.

1. camlo profile image84

Then I must have proved I exist smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)