jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)

Americas' Views on GOD

1. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Pretty interesting article on Americas' views on GOD by USA TODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2 … 7_CV_N.htm

As an American, which GOD do you believe in relation to the article?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As a Christian, this American knows that God's personality contains a mixture of all 4 traits.  First and foremost, I'd say He is the authoritative God, simply because He is God and is therefore worthy to be worshipped, period.

1. marty1968 profile image60
        marty1968posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Amen and Amen!!!! Well said Brenda

2. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Really nice and concise response Brenda.  You sum that up pretty well.

3. CarolineVABC profile image74
        CarolineVABCposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I completely agree with you, Brenda! God is like a parent-He is a mixture of all 4 traits and uses whichever "parenting" style is appropriate for His children.  We are all different and therefore, God treats each of us differently:-).

2. IntimatEvolution profile image81
      IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd have to agree to this.  This fits me quite well.  So I guess the answer is benevolent.    "Rhetoric that talks about the righteous vs. the heathen doesn't appeal to them," Froese says. "Their God is a force for good who cares for all people, weeps at all conflicts and will comfort all."

It's interesting to see how GOD is identified similarly to how you identify with yourself sometimes.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image59
      Woman Of Courageposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe in the authoritative God, and he is a mixture of all 4 traits. That's a great article.

I also believe a mixture of all traits WOC.  Glad you enjoyed the article.

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

In relation to the article?

There is no god. However, I did notice the supposed surveyed people wasn't even a decent size or portion of America.

So, the article is spin of half-truths.

That wasn't a choice from the article, but nice try.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Since I hold no belief about a god, and an American citizen, it is apparent that my view is not addressed inside the biased article you presented.

What was addressed by the article is still a spin of half-truths, regardless.

The point of the thread was not to address your belief on GOD.  It was to engage with other Americans who believe in GOD, and to find out how their belief in GOD coincides with the article.  The fact that you are an American, and don't believe in GOD is irrelevant with regards to this specific article.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah well its freedom of religion not freedom from religion and that will always create problems for people.

I'm not really sure I understand Kirsten.  What religion do you feel you need freedom from?

2. Jerami profile image78
      Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And if anyone knows about that?   I am sure that you do !!!!

3. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting article! I think 200 people makes it a valid assessment since it was done random.

It's funny to see how some will toss a survey or assessment out the window if it doesn't agree with their beliefs. If the article had said that most people do not believe in God then the article would have been a valid assessment, by their standards.

For a survey to be valid one has to look at the way in which it was taken. If a survey is given in a tightly clustered group of people one would have to survey more people to get a valid response. But if a survey is done in spread out fashion one doesn't need as many surveys.

I think the accuracy is dependent on excactly what the surveyers wanted to know. I don't think their quesiton was in relation to "does God exist". It was more in line with "how do you view God".

With that in mind... the test is fairly accurate!

1. marty1968 profile image60
      marty1968posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I couldnt agree with you more, libby

2. ediggity profile image60

Thank you for actually comprehending Libby.  Your observation on belief in relation to agreement of a survey is dead on.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Even so, 200 is a little on the lean side.  Most nationwide surveys start at about 1000.

200 were just the "in depth interviews", there were also a couple years of phone surveys of approx 1600 and 1700 people.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

No  matter how good ,or well meant any survey on God is, I recall how Jesus was recorded as saying ..."But who do you say I am" ( my point being its irrevelant if youre American ,Pink, Blue or Green , the question  remains a good one -dont ya think smile

It is actually irrelevant in that sense Kiwi.  This thread was started more out of curiosity in correlation with the reports of the article.  You're ultimately right, it really doesn't matter.

6. 67
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

Percentage of Americans who identify with these types of Gods:

The Atheists/Agnostics are stated to stand at 5%

By Anne Godlasky, USA TODAY
    Source: Paul Froese and Christopher Bader based on a 2008 survey of 1,648 U.S. adults

Correct.

working