Platonic Realism in the "21st Century"

1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago

Platonic realism is committed to the existence of a/causal objects and to the claim that these objects, and facts about them, are independent of anyone's beliefs, linguistic practices, conceptual schemes, and so on (in short to the claim that these objects, and facts about them, are language and mind (meaning: consciousness or consciously, active or passive) independent.
    -Any causal explanation of reliability is incompatible with the a/causality of mathematical objects.
    -Any non-causal explanation of reliability is incompatible with the language- and mind-independence of mathematical objects.
    -Any explanation of reliability must be causal or non-causal.
    There is no explanation of reliability that is compatible with both the a/causality and language- and mind-independence of mathematical objects.

Has the issue of platonic realism been solved in the 21st Century? If yes, can you provide examples of that solution?
    Else,
    Is the "platonic picture" still an issue, fueled by the elements of: priori, a priori, posteriori with respect to the social dominant entities: science and theology ( equation and sensation ).

2. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

I think ?  that I am able to sit down and examine what you just said.   And maybe not!   ..  BUT  tonight...   I'm too tired ...
    Maybe tomorrow.   

No disrespect ment !!  Just telling on myself I guess!!

3. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago

No offense taken, Jerami.

I have revisited the platonic and find it very interesting (in line with my present work on critiquing free will against the passive-aggressive twins science/theology). The platonic issue has been argued greatly, because it insists that objects are, in many aspects, more powerful and real than humans. Even so far as to say that objects are completely and utterly independent of human thought, imagination, measures, concepts, ideologies, etc.

The fatal blow is that even without consciousness, objects are better off than humans and if they did have consciousness, it would not be even remotely close to any human consciousness, pattern of communication, belief system, etc. (like saying a rock is smarter than a human...lol)

The platonic picture paints a grim portrait of the human condition and their ever constant reliance on their own mind, thoughts, expressions as totality of their own existence, even though they observe the universe around them yet do not --by choice of course-- understand that universe because of their methods of belief, thinking, expression and communication...

working