jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Attempt to create a multicultural society has 'utterly failed'

1. aguasilver profile image89
    aguasilverposted 6 years ago

According to Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Merkel�s comments have added fuel to a debate across Europe over immigration and Islam, issues which are particularly dividing her conservative camp.

Speaking to a meeting of young members of her Christian Democrats (CDU), Merkel said allowing people of different cultural backgrounds to live side by side without integrating had not worked in a country that is home to some four million Muslims.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z12dRsYjAP

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aguasilver: It has not failed it is alive and well but as always people only see what they want to see and will say that which they wish to say whether it is truth or not, and sometimes just to stir the pot and try to get a rise out of others. This is not Christian though.

2. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What Ms. Merkel fails to mention is that in the 50's and 60's  immigrant labour pulled Germany through into post-war recovery. These people were invited to work in the country due to a shortage of labour caused by the fact that thousands of German men of working age were dead after WWII. Describing people who have lived and worked in Germany for 60 years, and contributed to the countries economic recovery as 'guests' is disgusting in my opinion. 

(Incidentally the same recruitment of immigrants happened in the Britain in the 50's and 60's. Thousands were recruited from the colonies (particularly the West Indies, India and Pakistan) to fill a labour shortage and help Britain recover after the war, which it duly did. After that they were told in no uncertain terms by some segments of society to 'go home').

Like those West Indian, and Asians in Britain, many of the 'immigrants' and 'foreigners' in Germany are second and third generation and are actually German citizens. So Ms. Merkel is effectively suggesting that these peoples parents or grandparents are 'guests' and don't belong in the country, which seems a strange way to go about encouraging integration. But of course that's not what it's about. This is just politicking. Traditionally when politicians on the right feel support is waning, they lean further right. Ms. Merkel is simply trying to demonstrate her right wing credentials. It's just a shame about how much damage this will do to cultural relations in Germany. But it does serve as a perfect example of how to alienate entire swathes of your own citizenry. Well done Chancellor!

2. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

From what I understand the Germans have let the Turks live separate lives because they understood them to be guest workers who will return to Turkey.  So why don't the Germans just tell them to leave and go home already?

We have the same problem with illegal aliens, mostly from Latin America but we didn't bring them over as guest workers.

3. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

To me, the idea of German society celebrating cultural differences and the freedom of other races, creeds and cultures, sounds as far fetched as the idea of Colonel Sanders leading a Vegan crusade.

4. 0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

I see less and less white people in Toronto, Canada. I don't know if they integrated or simply ran away from it.

1. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

oh we are a multicultural mosaic here... the one thing that binds us all together is the Toronto Maple Leafs... the WORLD'S hockey team! smile

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You sound so politically correct Greek One, that I am trying not to puck
        (I mean puke).

1. Greek One profile image80
          Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm thinking about running for mayor

5. tonymac04 profile image88
    tonymac04posted 6 years ago

Merkel's comments look like a typical right winger's attempt to get more votes when their popularity starts to slip. Another appeal to the blood instead of rational thought. Another attempt to pander to the lowest common denominator.

6. 61
    william345posted 6 years ago

cool profile picture DUDE!

1. Dave Barnett profile image62
      Dave Barnettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

These things were fortold to you.smile smile smile