What exactly are other religions offering?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I was once in discussion with some Mormon evangelists. Missionaries, I think they call them.
    Anyways, the point was/is this. I asked them what they were offering me that I didn't already have.
    They tried to explain the benefits of their religion, and the Book of Mormon, but they stopped short of assurance of Eternal Life. they could not confirm anything.

My Bible (actually, ANY version) tells me that Eternal Life is ASSURED to those who believe in Jesus Christ. And I do, so I have EL. If that is the ultimate quest of mankind, and I'm not sure it is for ALL, what can another religion offer me, or others like me?

What does your faith offer me/us?

1. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
      HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religion offers nothing and God told you so too. Thats why they hung Jesus, he exposed Religion for what its worth. Yes no man can enter eternal life but by Jesus Christ

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It really is funny that by just placing a series of books in front of someone to choose from, they believe one holds eternal life. They are just books made of paper, binding and ink, folks. smile

aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true of every book in any library.
        It's not the material of which it's made, but the content that counts.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

And what is the content? Words. Nothing but words, written in ink.

I can take a book on physics and do any experiment presented in within and find conclusive evidence that agrees with it.

I can also take a book of fairy tales and find that animals do not think or talk like humans.

Notice that when the words in a book are compared to reality, it is easy to distinguish the contents as useful or just pure nonsense. smile

His words are LIFE. (eternal life).
            His words are PEACE. In the worst of life's situations.
            His words are encouragement to the down and out.
            His words lift your spirit.
            His words foster love for others.

Can you test these in a lab?? NO

How about romance books, can you test them? Sure you can, just not the way you propose.

Come" b", get real and take it for what it is. I don't expect you to accept it's contents, but at least treat them fairly. (if you can)

There is FAR more content in the Bible than what you would call "fairy tales". Do you know how to distinguish fact from fiction? you seem to imply you do.

Since you want  examples all the time, here's one.
            It covers the entire history of the Jewish people BC.

Is that "fairy tales" too?

So what? Lots of books are available with words equal to or greater than anything Jesus ever said.

No, but his words can be put to the test, just like any other words.

Romance books? Are you serious? LOL!

I can treat his words fairly, but I don't worship him.

There are some horrid words in the bible too.

Much better than you, evidently. smile

I see you are stuck in a mindset.
                Oh well, can't say I never tried.

sad

Yes, I can understand why believers will claim those who use their minds to think are "stuck in a mindset" when they themselves swallow up every fantasy that comes along.

And, I also understand this is something believers will offer when they are unable to form an argument beyond those fantasies. smile

2. RevolveR profile image59
    RevolveRposted 13 years ago

Religions don't offer anything. It's only a placebo to take death graciously.

I have to say, I agree!!

2. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religion in deed is like a placebo... empty
      But dig deeper and you would find Jesus and YHWH

3. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I think that all humans have eternal life, or no humans have eternal life.  Eternal life can't possibly be assigned in the lottery of what part of the world you happened to be born in and what religion you were brought up in.  And what about all those people who lived and died before Jesus (who historically has not even been proved to exist)- do they lose out on eternal life because of timing?

4. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Most religion offers eternal life either in one form or another.

Their way is usually one of works, by which a law, as derived from their approved writings, as it is kept.

Christianity, though they denies this outwardly, once anyone approached them, you would see that their way is actually exactly the same.

They say turn to Jesus alone in faith alone, but since their Jesus isn't the reality of the Christ.

Most if not all will of necessity fall back of reading and believing their book the bible and keeping it as a law as every other religion does.
    Thus making Christ into a book to be studied and memorized prayed etc etc.

5. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

There are so many varied religions represented here,
    and not many coming forth with their BEST offer.

Why?

Don't you have anything To offer?

Here's your platform to state your case for all the rest of us.

6. Jonathan Janco profile image59
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

I don't know that for sure, b/c I can't speak for others. If anyone would like, check this out and tell me if it has anything to offer you:

http://acim.cc/

7. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

The primary draw of religion seems to be eternal life, but who in their right mind would want it?

In an infinitesimally small percentage of the time available you will have experienced every experience there is to have, and will have done everything so many times you will be sick of it.  You will have learned everything there is to learn, and done so so thoroughly that you could quote for millenia all there is to know.

For the remaining indescribably large percentage of the time available to you, you will sit in a total funk, bored out of your mind.  Or go mad from boredom and disinterest in everything.

8. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

all religions offer similar things...concept of eternal life or one step above that...nice concepts ...atleast that keeps hopes alive...

9. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 13 years ago

No religion offer eternal life. No one can live eternally,  because it is not something we human beings have been created for. Religion teaches us how to live as good people in this world.When we will die we will go into an eternal life.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No religion offer eternal life
      -------------------------
      .When we will die we will go into an eternal life.

you are contradicting yourself....

1. profile image0
        gulnazahmadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you don't believe in life after death then you willl definitely say that I am contradicting myself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)