What is real ???

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Many people say that God is not real because for something to be real we have to be able to  see, hear, touch, smell or taste it.     And prove that we do.

Let me ask YA...   can you taste hunger?

How much does Love weigh? 

An imagination is real? Or is it?

Intelligence?  if ya got a lot of it, how much space does it require?  Does it have an aroma? 

Can it be discerned by our senses??   Sorry..  that would be self discernment wouldn't it??
      And if you are aware of it,  Can you prove it to me that you are aware?

You might say that we can measure intelligence;  But only by by a system that was created by our own awareness.

Awareness ... that's another one!   I think I saw a discussion on these forums about it.  What did we decide?
       can we touch, smell, see, hear, or taste awareness?

Then it ain't real ???   or is it?

1. profile image0
      wilbury4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

One can't taste hunger but one can feel it.
      Love is an emotion and with it comes responsibility, would you agree? A responsibility is a weight.
      Imagination is thought or dreams, conceived through our minds, we all have them, they could be described as an alternate reality?
      Intelligence is an ability, an ability to understand, it has no volume. I am aware of my ability to understand, answereing your questions prooves my ability to understand and therefore my intelligence.
      Awareness is a sense in itself, of course its real....

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then it's all about faith right? And just knowing.

smile

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is right! 
        The are many realities that just can not be examined though they can be experienced.

But not all people get to experience them so they say it isn't real.

Yes; faith is a good word to explain it.

3. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same way you can't realise fully other's feeling. Otherwords you can't be in a position of the person who denies god. So we should try to treat the feelings both ours and others equally inorder to attract the other to yourside. But the other person also may be trying for the same. Don't forget.

Even after we have walked a mile in their shoes we may not understand them.

2. Jerami profile image58

Good night ...Yawl.

3. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

nice question..!! Well if you believe on something, there is certainly a reason behind it. But when it comes to evidence if there is really a God that exist I think the best evidence is you and everything around you.. smile

4. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

If you dream that you are touching a sandwhich and eating it, tasting it perfectly, would you say that sandwhich is real? No, even though you've tasted it and touched. So why isn't it real? When you eat a sandwhich you don't directly feel the taste objectively, your tongue and your nose tell your brain they're in contact with this and that, and your brain recognizes it and tells you you're eating that good old tuna sandwich you love so much. So it isn't just taste, it's also smell, touch (if it had the texture of a liquid you'd get confused), along with memory of previous sandwiches, perhaps even also your mood, etc. But the tricky part is, you can experience all that without the sandwich, by dreaming or hallucinating, because the way you feel the sandwich is not in the sandwich per se, but within yourself (that's why you could love it while someone else finds it disgusting).

So what am I saying here, that sandwiches are a myth? Of course not. Why not? Because there are such things as sandwiches outside dreams and hallucinations. But here's the thing: there are no traces of god outside the human mind. The so called evidence for god's existence is nothing but trying to link those feelings and thoughts that are only in our minds (purpose, or to be more precise, the lack of one; the origin of everything; unexplained coincidences; etc.), with reality. There is nothing in Nature itself that could lead you, or anyone, to believe that whoever created trees, Jupiter and whales, also wrote 10 things human beings should not do to each other.

In other words, if I took the bag where the bread came from and the tuna can, I could read the labels and find out that both elements came from the same store, because there is information in the sandwich itself to link them to a common place. There is no such evidence whatsoever with atoms, waves, light, water, gravity, etc., that link them with the bible, the 10 comandments, the Qur'an, heaven, divine justice, or any religious concept at all.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

I don't know who coined the statement, but it seems appropriate for this venue. "EVERYTHING is possible but NOTHING is real". See ya.

6. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

But then again there'd be no point in rational evidence would it? If we had proof of god, you'd need no faith.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
        "But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. Q.E.D."
        "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
        "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Douglas Adams was a delightful genius, wasn't he?

7. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

what is real?

where does reality come from?

how does reality coincide with truth?

is reality truth?

reality is all things and nothing both truth and false.

reality comes  from nowhere and goes everywhere.

Truth is within all reality.
    Reality became because of truth.
    But there is no reality without truth.

You cannot find truth by searching out reality because reality did not father truth.

All reality is known because you know truth.
    For Truth is the Father of reality.

Can't disagree that that.

8. Jerami profile image58

If you dream that you are touching a sandwich and eating it, tasting it perfectly, would you say that sandwich is real? No, even though you've tasted it and touched.

- - - -

Then while you are dreaming about the sandwich, it fulfills the definition of real.

When you remember the sandwich that you had yesterday, it also fulfills the definition.

Is the sandwich that you had yesterday real.
       Not any longer you might say.

I would conclude that THAT definition of real  isn't real.

Which is the only point that I was making in the OP.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you're imagining it, it's a delusion.  You might be convinced it's real.  Is that imaginery sandwich going  to actually feed you.  No

I don't know ?  It might if we stayed it that sleep dimension?   Don't know!

It is too early for me to think ?

I think what I was getting at last night is that we have different definitions of THE DEFINITIONS depending upon what we are talking about.

So dreams are not real either?? can not touch or smell one.

I gotta go put in another 10 hour day painting the outside of a house.

When I check back in I hope there is some proof that dreams are real that they do exist.

Or at least a better definition of what real is.

I'm confused.   Thanks!

2. spookyfox profile image60
      spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dude, no, dreams are not real, that was the whole point of my post,  that even though we might experience them with our senses they're an illusion. I was making an analogy between dreams and god, because the reason most people believe in god is because they 'felt' him, and I was pointing out that perhaps that feeling was made by your own brain, without god, just like it can taste a sandwich without a sandwich.

I think that you are missing my point.
           I am not arguing the existence of God.

"A" Dream itself is a real thing. 
          I can experience a dream.  You can experience a dream. 
          I can not experience YOUR dream therefore your dream does not exist in my reality.

I can not examine the contents of your dream in any way as to say if it is real or not.
          Nor can you see mine.

Some people see only words
           Some people see sentences, while others see pages of words , some people see a whole book.

1. spookyfox profile image60

A dream is not real.

The state of dreaming is real.

The reality of its contents can be disputed.

Awake ...  Not awake.    Two states of the human condition.

There's no point in disputing the content of a dream (in this thread).

The state of madness is also real. Doesn't mean the hallucinations that come with it are too.

Dreams are subjective, so is madness, so is god.

I agree and have been doing so with your statements in this last post except for your last three words.

I gotta go make a living some more....  back later.

Well you'll be glad to hear you're not the only one. People who suffer from madness also wouldn't agree about their experiences and feelings being illusive smile

I agree with this part of your comment...  People suffer from madness  and we all deny that fact.

Everyone is being pointed at    when this subject is being discussed.     So everyone agrees that everyone else is mad.

It must be true.

9. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I disagree with your first statement, Jarami.  I've never seen an electron, but it exists.  I can't see a magnetic field, but it's there.  Radioactivity can't be sensed, but is real.

There are lots of things we can't see, but can see the effects of or detect with suitable instruments.  Unfortunately none of those things is a God or verifiably the results of a God.

1. libby101a profile image59
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nobody has really seen an atom either! The only way we know an atom exists is by indirect evidence...such as bouncing an electron off an atom! An electron is even smaller than an atom! Much is learned by logic and reason and correclty assembling previous knowledge. Holes are filled with conjecture, theories, and more discovery! This is how we know the make-up of an atom without ever seeing it!

According to science, there is no truth scientifically that a God doesn't exist. In other words, a true scientist cannot prove that God doesn't exist. That would be omniscience! All a true scientist can do is say there's no evidence to prove a God does exist.

2. Jerami profile image58

I disagree with my first statement also.
         Guess I wasn't expressing myself clear enough.

They   say   that   God  isn't    real    cause  we can not pick up on him with our five senses.

There are many things that we can not pick up on with only these five.

I agree! We can't prove love exists scientifically but it does!

God isn't physical nor is he of this earth...therefore it's impossible for science to prove his existence!

We know that the paranormal exists.

Science agrees   but doesn't really know what it is.  That is why science calls these occurrences Paranormal.

Science does not know how to develop a test to prove that it exist ???   Does not know what kind of machine that is required to substantiate Paranormal activity even though science termed the phrase Paranormal.

Science acknowledges that they just do not know much outside of their own parameters.

The only thing that we can say that we known about GOD, is from our own personal experiences.
             That seems to be what works best, cause that is the way that he does it.

All else is hear say.

Very true! And truthfully I don't believe God wants us to prove he exists! Because if he wanted that he would simply reveal himself to everyone worldwide! He wants people to come to him of their own free will! And think about it... right now he doesn't show himself so people say he doesn't exist.. imagine if he showed himself... then they would say "why does God do this, or that?"

If he fixed all our problems and made everything perfect all the time humans would turn further away from him,not knowing it was him, and think that we do just fine all on our own!

10. Jerami profile image58

....,and think that we do just fine all on our own!

I think that this is when he backed up just a little.
    When the Hebrew people wanted a king. Like all the other nations of peoples.   They thought ;  "all that we need is a King!"

He backed up just enough to be out of sight.
       I've done that with my children when they were younger.

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...then we all watched Harry Potter, because it made so much more sense.

11. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

If people want evidence of God they can pray the sinners prayer and that will be all the evidence they will need.

Very, very True!!! It's as simple as a prayer with honest intent!

So, god doesn't want to gives us any proof that he exists, but if we pray we'll get some evidence. Got it.

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can I pray to Allah?  Believe it or not, there are people just as fanatical about Allah being the only God, as you are about your illogical God.  How do you explain that?

12. CMCastro profile image71
    CMCastroposted 13 years ago

What is said in the book of John chapter 8, verse 32 is REAL! It says, "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

13. maruthirp profile image61
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

People can see or sense 3 dimensional only. There is another dimension called 4th dimension. To sense that dimension you need obtain certain abilities. Then you will say that God is real.

Actually the 4th dimension is time! I believe what you are thinking about is the string theory.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, he's referring to the Fifth Dimension?

Didn't they have a hit in the 70's? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)