Women Preachers

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (60 posts)
  1. mom101 profile image61
    mom101posted 13 years ago

Do you believe women should be preachers.

1. profile image0
      Several Ninjasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

only if their hot.

1. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what ya want em to do - preach in a bikini lol

2. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why shouldn't they be? Rather sexist to suppose that a woman wouldn't deliver as much value in any job as a man could.

1. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup, got that right....

mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartadly.

I live in the south, and it is "frowned upon" here.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think...not when there's enough Christian men  available who will fulfill the necessary role.
      But in today's society, seems the mission field is so large, reaching even into every nook and cranny, that it's necessary for women as well as men to put on their Armor and pick up their Bibles and yes, preach the Gospel of repentance and Salvation.

2. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Actually I always thought a woman would be better at being a priest than a man. After all they are generally more compassionate and understanding than most men.

However since I don't believe in a god I also think it's a pointless occupation. smile

3. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

ofcourse yes....why not?..

4. J.R. Smith profile image57
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

The bible's stand on a woman's position is quite clear. The reason it is not so widely accepted comes from scripture. check out 1 corinthians 14. women are to keep silent in the churches. The man is the head of the home and should be the representative of the church. It's in the bible.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, so religion is like a men's only social club, cool.  hmm

1. pisean282311 profile image63
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. J.R. Smith profile image57
        J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly. God thinks quite highly of women. Consider Mary. He thought enough of women to allow his son's birth. A good wife and mother are very esteemed positions in the eyes of God.there are several women in the bible that are spoken of with very high regard.

interestingly muslim scholars and bible scholar agree on something smile

1. J.R. Smith profile image57

almost. Bible teaches that a man should adore his wife,submit to her, and cherish her as a gift from God. Not sure muslims share this view.

well Islam scholars believe that islam gives more right to women than its rivals like Judaism,Christianity ..coming from same region ,it is understandable that similar mind set would prevail more or less...so preaching doesnot seemed to be allowed in islam too..

P.S : Paar correct me ,if i am wrong...

2. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would have caused quite a stir if some god had got a man to do that job for him big_smile

lol you never know..all is possible with god...

3. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God raped a married woman and got her pregnant. smile

Interestingly virgin birth is not new concept...many is past have been told to have born through virgin mother..jesus might be 8 or 9th in the list...guess this concept has been popular in human race since long...

Wow.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Why so surprised? Look at the facts of this myth.

Mary was Joseph's wife. Correct?
              God was not married to Mary. Correct?
              God impregnated Mary. Correct?

The facts speak for themselves. smile

They are facts when backing up your opinion,hunh? Funny how those facts are useless when a believer tries to use them. How can you prove Mary was unwilling, especially when God sent a messenger telling her she would bear the messiah? Who would deny God?

Mary was already married, she isn't supposed to be "willing". If you have a wife, is she "willing" to have sex with someone else other than you? That wouldn't say very much for your marriage.

Denying god? How do you know it wasn't Satan who impregnated her in the guise of an angel?

Why did god chose a married woman, why not an unmarried woman? Doesn't his impregnation of a married woman contradict the bible itself?  smile

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beelzedad, God did not rape a married woman. God is a spirit. A spirit does not have a physical body. Mary's pregnancy was supernatural and it was spiritual. It would be best for you to ask about scriptures you don't understand in the bible.

1. profile image0

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Yes Beelzedad you better go ask someone to read them for you so you can understand what they tell you they mean !

2. pisean282311 profile image63

@woc curious question...if pregnancy was spiritual..jesus should have been spirit and not a body...how did he manage to have body then?

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

pisean, God ways and thoughts is not our ways. It is not our responsibility to determine that Jesus should have been a spirit. It was in God's plan for Jesus to be born with a body.

3. Beelzedad profile image59

Do you actually read what you write? Do you realize that makes no sense whatsoever? smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Beelzedad, Nothing spiritual does not make sense to you anyway. You are stumbling around in darkness. Hopefully you will see the light very soon. Take care.

When it is obvious that the spiritual world cannot exist and it is only through the empty words of believers that it does exist, to make any sense of it would be a loss of sanity.

Once again, the believer feels it necessary to oblige their superiority over others with vacuous statements of condescending ignorance in some vain attempt to have others believe as they do. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59

The bible was written by misogynists. smile

1. profile image0

Nah !!   it was definately a Mr ogyinist   !!!

3. frogdropping profile image78

I can imagine that's a directive most men would like their women to adopt beyond the hallowed walls of a church. The home, when out shopping, when the TV is on ...

Just saying smile

The bible suggests how a man treats his wife is a measure of himself. Any man worth his salt embraces his bride's thoughts,feelings and opinions. It is often abused,though.

1. profile image0

Its nice that the bible allows women to have thoughts that her man may or may not embrace.  Maybe every bible should come with a complimentary club and animal skin loincloth.

lol

Try reading it. The bible promotes love for your wife. You speak of absolute chauvinism,where the bible has high regard for a proper woman.

Yet, god promotes the impregnation of someones wife. Quite the contradiction. smile

You bring up a very good point. The angel also appeared to Joseph in dream. There were many reasons. Jesus had to be of the bloodline in prophesy.Joseph had to be the father since he was in David's bloodline. Mary had to be a virgin. She had to be Married. A pregnant woman with no husband was considered a whore and subject to stoning. Her pregnancy was supernatural and should not be viewed as typical conception.

1. Aficionada profile image78
                  Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First, to the original forum question:  Some of the best preachers/pastors I have ever heard were women.  Acceptance or not (of them) depends a lot on the specific denomination and somewhat on the region of the country or the world.  There is one passage in the NT that refers to someone's (I forget whose - I'll look it up, if you wish) daughters as "evangelists" - in other words, preachers.  But a lot of fundamentalist branches like to overlook that scripture, or interpret it in other ways.

This is the first time in my long life and long experience in religious studies of hearing the she was or was supposed to be married at the time of conception!  KJV says Mary was "espoused" i.e. engaged but with the commitment level of a marriage.  That's why Joseph considered "putting her away privately" (like a divorce).  The social practice of espousal was totally different from our practice of being engaged, but was also not the equivalent of marriage.  They did later get married; but at the time of conception and I'm pretty sure at the time of Jesus' birth, they had not yet officially married.  Do you have any references for your statement that she "had to be married"?

@Beelzedad:  Why would Mary say that she was "blessed among women" if she were unwilling?

Then, you have no problem if your wife conceived a child and it wasn't yours? Your wife will also be willing and blessed among women, too?

2. Beelzedad profile image59

So, a married woman who conceives a child that is not from her husband is not a whore? What is she then? If you are married, would you want your wife to have someone else child? Seriously. smile

2. frogdropping profile image78

I know. And they don't have to be religious to be abusive either hmm

2. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its quite true. I grew up in a house that fully endorsed this life. "Because..the Bible told us to!"

well i personally believe religion is misused by men to get their way as far as role of women is concerned...

1. profile image0

I believe religion is created by men to misuse the intent of the Bible.

1. profile image0

Amen !!   Hallelua !!  praise reason and thinking ***

Of course it is, along with the creation of the bible to misuse the intent of ancient thinking.

1. profile image0

smile My rational thinking is about gone now...haven't slept in a couple of days so..I'll be around. have a great night all. Im off to funny stuff. I stand by what I said before tho.

gn. rest well

2. pisean282311 profile image63

@DoorMattnomore agreed...i agree to it...if religion was made in today's time , i am sure we wont see so much gender bias in religion...

5. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

o.k which bible? see ... cause there are like over 300 different versions of just the christian bible alone and they all say different things - so which bible ya goin by?

I go by the KJV. It's hands-down the most preserved word of God.

J.R. Smith, I too go by the KJV.

Could you tell my why when Peter went to Jesus' tomb and cried out for Him why was he not answered? Why, when Mary went to the tomb Jesus spoke to her AND instructed HER to go tell............

I am sure you have read this, but if you would like I will give you the book, chapter and verse.

The Bible is the inerrant Word of God, Rightly divided. This means, that you should know that some of it was spoken in parables while some was spoken as instruction. One has to study and KNOW the difference.

Here is another great parable of course. You know the story about the rich man getting into Heaven. and the scripture that says it is easier for a rich man to go thru the eye of a needle that it is to enter Heaven. ......It amazes me that most people actually think it is referring to an actual needle.

As far as the silence thing. If one were to study they would learn that during the time that was written, men and women sat on different sides of the isle when attending church. When the preacher would preach it was common for the women to talk across the isle to their husbands, this in turn caused havoc on the sermon, and the preacher simply asked the women to wait until they got home to ask their husbands as to keep order during the service.

I firmly believe that a christian man should be the head of the house.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My house had no man to head it. Whaddyawant, sit around and wait? Sounds pretty Christian. Sit and wait for the perfect man. Women should preach. After all, the whole pedophile priest thing would have been somewhat different.

Druid, in this house it is just my son and myself. Trust me, it is EXTREMLY hard on a woman to be "it".

Perfect man? Doesn't exsist.

I like it when people actually think. Yes, women should preach. As a christian, it is their duty, as it the duty of each christian.

Oh and I am positive that somebody will come up with "ok so what you are saying is that since Jesus did not speak to Peter that men should keep silent"..........

6. Nikki D. Felder profile image64
    Nikki D. Felderposted 13 years ago

I know a plenty!  I believe in what the word of God declares.  In Him there is no respect of person.  Women were used back then and we've got to admit God uses whom he will.  He's used a plenty of women in this day in age.  Not all are used over the pulpit, but in schools, in missions, in slum alleys witnessing, in the White House!

7. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

Absolutely. There's no reason why a woman cannot lead a church and I just think all those Bishops in the Church of England should get over themselves. When Paul told women to keep silent and said a woman should not be head over a man, he was talking from a cultural basis. however, taking his other comments on women into account, even he would have been considered liberating to women in his time.

This decree on Women's place in church was entirely His opinion anyway. But the world has moved on. The West is not a Middle Eastern society anymore, and there was never any commandment from God or Jesus to tell us that women should keep some lower place. All are equal before God.

But please ladies, if you are going to preach, please don't put half a can of hairspray in your hair or dress up like those power women you see on God TV. It's a crap look.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...you mean like this?...and lighten up on the mascara too!...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/jaytombstone/tammywinking.gif

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...i think this is her son....he needs to back off on the make-up too!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/ChaosAndNight/Myspace%20Graphics/MansonTammyFaye.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)